Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Eastern Europe Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan

In Dave Lewis we trust

Old
01-06-2011, 04:46 PM
kacz

vCash: 500
In Dave Lewis we trust

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/article/lewis-to-coach-ukraine.html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=93f7371831

Some interesting news, former NHL coach Dave Lewis has been brought in (November) to help guide Ukraine back to the top division World Championships. Ukraine hosts the Division I tournament which comprises of Poland, Kazakhstan, Great Britain, Lithuania, Estonia and obviously Ukraine.

kacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Yeah, a bit old but I guess not a lot here know about it

A coaching staff of Lewis (head, defense), Khristich & Zakharov (offense), and Shundrov (goaltending) should hopefully provide a good foundation to push us over the edge

losing last year was a heart breaker against austria. 5 minute power play? so many chances and we couldn't get the job done? Hopefully this will help settle things down because last year was pure coaching errors by Zakharov

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:51 AM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Lewis was a terrible head coach with Boston, but he has to be one of the most experienced coaches in the Division 1 level. If Ukraine can get one or two extra players in for the World Championships I think they can be promoted.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 07:39 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
I would love to see Ukraine back in top division, but I'm concerned that they are playing soft and outdated hockey for 21st century just like Kazakhs. I'm fearing that Great Britain will outwork and outmuscle Ukraine for second place in the group and Kazakhstan will get promotion as they have more talent their disposal than any other team in this tournament..

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 04:02 PM
PanniniClaus

I do not see anything but decline for Ukraine and they have been in decline for a number of years. Rarely do they produce a decent Junior talent so I am not sure how they will replenish.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
I do not see anything but decline for Ukraine and they have been in decline for a number of years. Rarely do they produce a decent Junior talent so I am not sure how they will replenish.
Maybe you're not aware of the younger talent because most don't play in North America?

Mike Balaban, Max Kvitchenko, Dan Sobchenko, Serg' Gaiduchenko, Iggy Zemchenko, Vitali Anikienko...

honestly, like above posters have said, KHL/MHL teams that can put more in the pipelines and keep the existing talent in, and this decline can be stopped

Old
01-08-2011, 11:52 PM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Maybe you're not aware of the younger talent because most don't play in North America?

Mike Balaban, Max Kvitchenko, Dan Sobchenko, Serg' Gaiduchenko, Iggy Zemchenko, Vitali Anikienko...

honestly, like above posters have said, KHL/MHL teams that can put more in the pipelines and keep the existing talent in, and this decline can be stopped
If you look at the players born just in Kiev, there is a steady stream of professional players that come from that city almost yearly.

Fedotenko NHL 1979
Ponikarovsky NHL 1980
Lakhmatov NLA 1981
Mikhnov KHL 1982
Shastin KHL 1982
Mikhnov KHL 1983
Zherdev NHL 1984
Babchuk NHL 1984
Andrushenko KHL/BEL 1986
Anikienko KHL 1987
Gaiduchenko KHL 1989

Potential
Toryanik KHL/MHL 1990
Sobchenko KHL/MHL 1991
Zemchenko KHL/MHL 1992

Hockey isn't dead in Ukraine, but it is dying and needs some professional development to turn it around.

Old
01-09-2011, 12:24 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
If you look at the players born just in Kiev, there is a steady stream of professional players that come from that city almost yearly.

Fedotenko NHL 1979
Ponikarovsky NHL 1980
Lakhmatov NLA 1981
Mikhnov KHL 1982
Shastin KHL 1982
Mikhnov KHL 1983
Zherdev NHL 1984
Babchuk NHL 1984
Andrushenko KHL/BEL 1986
Anikienko KHL 1987
Gaiduchenko KHL 1989

Potential
Toryanik KHL/MHL 1990
Sobchenko KHL/MHL 1991
Zemchenko KHL/MHL 1992

Hockey isn't dead in Ukraine, but it is dying and needs some professional development to turn it around.
Will any of Gaiduchenko, Toryanik, Zemchenko or Sobchenko ever actually play for Ukraine though? Naturally I believe they should, but it looks as though at least Sobchenko will represent Russia internationally.

It's a shame, really. Ukraine could have a decent hockey program on pace with Latvia or Belarus, but Ukrainians just don't seem to be very patriotic. Maybe a change in management could inspire more young Ukrainians and Ukrainian expats to play for Ukraine in the future.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:16 PM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Will any of Gaiduchenko, Toryanik, Zemchenko or Sobchenko ever actually play for Ukraine though? Naturally I believe they should, but it looks as though at least Sobchenko will represent Russia internationally.

It's a shame, really. Ukraine could have a decent hockey program on pace with Latvia or Belarus, but Ukrainians just don't seem to be very patriotic. Maybe a change in management could inspire more young Ukrainians and Ukrainian expats to play for Ukraine in the future.
Most of those players do not play for Ukraine, but that isn't the point. A KHL team in Kiev with affiliates and a junior team could tap into this player pool in the future and keep them playing for Ukraine. Which is why I said, "Hockey isn't dead in Ukraine, but it is dying and needs some professional development to turn it around."

Ukraine has no problems getting young players interested in hockey it is elite player development that lags behind. If you want to become a professional, nine out ten times you end up going to Russia when you are a teenager or younger. By the time you hit age 17 you have Russian citizenship and end up playing the U17 Russia team or u20. It leads you to think “IF” Ukraine had a top tier professional club they could keep these players in their own country, where they would play youth hockey for Ukraine and the national team in the future.

It is 100% like soccer in Canada; up until a few years ago if you wanted to become a professional soccer player in Canada you had to leave the country and go overseas. There is a giant list of players that defected from the Canadian men’s soccer team as well. With professional teams in MLS it is thought that it could change with players being able to play at home when they are young and receive elite development at home.

Old
01-10-2011, 12:28 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post

It's not a matter of patriotism, it's a matter of poaching. Players in Ukraine have one goal as a professional player: get scouted. How do you do that? Well certainly not by playing in Ukraine's amateur league, so you either go to Belarus, or more naturally try to get a shot with a Russian team.

Catch is, to play in Russia they force you to get a Russian passport and to commit to their program.

Patriotism is good and all, but if its going to be at the cost of furthering your career (in a poor country) the choice is pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
It is 100% like soccer in Canada; up until a few years ago if you wanted to become a professional soccer player in Canada you had to leave the country and go overseas. There is a giant list of players that defected from the Canadian men’s soccer team as well. With professional teams in MLS it is thought that it could change with players being able to play at home when they are young and receive elite development at home.
yuppers

Old
01-10-2011, 06:31 PM
ukrleaf

Hockey is just not popular enough. It's miles ahead in Belarus and Latvia because it's really popular in these countries. And don't forget that it is very expensive to play it. When football is a national idea and it's cheap, no wonder most of the kids want to play football and not hockey and I completely understand their parents. It's easy for them to have their kids play football, there are numerous schools and lots of money involved in the senior level.

ukrleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 02:43 AM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrleaf View Post
Hockey is just not popular enough. It's miles ahead in Belarus and Latvia because it's really popular in these countries. And don't forget that it is very expensive to play it. When football is a national idea and it's cheap, no wonder most of the kids want to play football and not hockey and I completely understand their parents. It's easy for them to have their kids play football, there are numerous schools and lots of money involved in the senior level.
So do you think having a KHL team won't have any effect at all?

Old
01-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrleaf View Post
the soccer scenario can be applied to Belarus and Latvia as well, also Russia or any poorer country, yet they make it work. How? Money and pro teams

Its just like bringing the NHL to unconventional markets (like the Southern US), its cheaper to play HS football, basketball, or baseball, yet hockey is growing slowly and kids are getting interested

Old
01-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Sergei DRW

Let's be reality.

Half of those players mentioned will never answer the bell because they don't want to play for Ukraine.

Is is shameful? I don't blame them, there is no infrastructure, and some "shady people" who have never played hockey in their lives occupied the important positions in Ukraine's sport management.

Sergei DRW is offline   Reply With Quote