HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Report: Quintal won't be resigned

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2004, 03:13 AM
Zednik

vCash: 500
Report: Quintal won't be resigned

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=88651

''Bob told me he wanted to go with young players,'' Quintal said regarding an earlier meeting with Gainey. ''I told him that a 35-year-old veteran like me has a lot to offer a team. I added that I was ready to help young players and to continue to represent the team in the community as I have always been happy to do.''

WTF ? Quintal wants to play here as a 6th-7th d-man and BG doesn't want him at all ?
He wants to go with youth, but who ?? hainsey ? Beauchemin ? Give me a break ! You need 7 d-men...

"Quintal earned $500,000 US last season and was prepared to return for the same salary."

I thought he was making more than 500k

Last edited by Zednik: 06-23-2004 at 03:19 AM.
Old
06-23-2004, 03:29 AM
GG#60

I feel kind of sorry for him as he was always proud to be a Hab.

But didn't he recently say he doesn't want to be a 7th defenseman??

Old
06-23-2004, 03:37 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Best news I've heard in a while !

Old
06-23-2004, 03:50 AM
4shelley4

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²

Best news I've heard in a while !
And what would be good news about this? That fact we are losing a team player or the fact that we are losing a dirt cheap 7th D man?

Old
06-23-2004, 04:27 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4shelley4
And what would be good news about this? That fact we are losing a team player or the fact that we are losing a dirt cheap 7th D man?
He can't play on the Ld and Brisebois, Rivet have their spots as is. The only one guy that hasn't a guarenteed spot is Komi on the Rd.. Keeping Quintal would have been a good insurance move, but we're showing faith to Komi, it might help him... I'd have signed Q... but oh well.

I sure hope Bouillon's going to Europe like the reports were saying.

Markov
Brisebois
Souray
Rivet
Komisarek
Hainsey
Beauchemin

That would be a decent unit to start with.

Markov-Brisebois
Souray-Komisarek
Hainsey-Rivet

Old
06-23-2004, 04:33 AM
MacHabs93

Souray
Markov
Komisarek
Brisebois
Rivet
Bouillon/Hainsey

i guess they either wont trade Rivet, or the want Hainsey to get some ice time which would also leave him rotting on the bench + maybe Bob is tight on money, i think ribs/ryder/souray are rfas and maybe he needs more $$ for Kovy But 500 K should be a given only for the leadership

Old
06-23-2004, 04:53 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I'd sign Quintal as the Canucks' 7th for $500,000 in a second.

Old
06-23-2004, 04:56 AM
Marksman

The 500K must be either typo or mixup with Bouillon salary. NHLPA lists Quintal making 1.5ooK. If he really was making that little he would have been sitting much more.

Isnt it funny, last week we heard from Gainey he wanted to keep Q... and he was told a week ago thursday 'no'.

I'm kinda sorry to see him gone, but silver lining is Komisarek has full time spot now and it makes room for Hainsey aswell as 6½th defenceman.

Souray Brisebois
Markov Komisarek
Hainsey Rivet

+Bouillon Beauchemin(?) or Gauthier(!)

Old
06-23-2004, 04:57 AM
NewHabsEra*

It was to expect.. Beauchemin can easily replace him as 7th defenseman..

Quintal is a good guy but his time is definitively done... He just cant be an effective regular defenseman in a strong team IMO. too slow for this level.

Old
06-23-2004, 04:58 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4shelley4
The fact we're losing a slow footed and mostly useless player ? Or the fact we're losing a guy that won't accept being a 7th dman (Broke his stick when he learned he wouldn't play game 4 against TB, said on Arcand he would never accept being the 7th dman).

Team player ? No a team player is a guy like Ken Daneyko. A guy who won't bolt to the rags for a bit more money, a guy who won't break his stick on the ice in practice when he learns he isn't playing, etc. I'm not feeling the least bit disapointed in him not coming back.

Take the rose coloured glasses off people.. reading this thread I'd think you're all talking about a different player. Quintal has definately lost a step. Komisarek, Brisebois and Rivet are all younger and better and since Quintal won't accept being a 7th guy then there's just no way he's coming back.

He would have taken ice time away from Komisarek, Beauchemin and Hainsey is all he would have done. Just like he did last season. Gainey saw he was useless and that's it. Bye bye Quintal !

:gman:

Old
06-23-2004, 05:01 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
The 500K must be either typo or mixup with Bouillon salary. NHLPA lists Quintal making 1.5ooK. If he really was making that little he would have been sitting much more.
The habs were paying him about 500K because Chicago (and maybe even NYR) were paying parts of his salary. But like you said he was getting 1.5M total.

Old
06-23-2004, 05:06 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
I'd sign Quintal as the Canucks' 7th for $500,000 in a second.
I dont think he'd do that. He wants to be on the playing lineup, not just depth, that seemed to be the sticking point with Habs too.

He shouldnt have trouble finding taker. Some other teams in the middle of youth movement looking for veteran support or just right shot defenceman for 3rd pairing.

Old
06-23-2004, 05:13 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
The habs were paying him about 500K because Chicago (and maybe even NYR) were paying parts of his salary. But like you said he was getting 1.5M total.
Thanks, that explains it. Only thing I could remember is he agreed to restructure his fatty contract when he came back. Now if we could do the same with Brisebois send him away and get back for 500K.

Old
06-23-2004, 05:25 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
I dont think he'd do that. He wants to be on the playing lineup, not just depth, that seemed to be the sticking point with Habs too.

He shouldnt have trouble finding taker. Some other teams in the middle of youth movement looking for veteran support or just right shot defenceman for 3rd pairing.
Plus his wife said moving out of Québec is not an option. I guess we know who's got the leadership in that team

Old
06-23-2004, 05:29 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Thanks, that explains it. Only thing I could remember is he agreed to restructure his fatty contract when he came back. Now if we could do the same with Brisebois send him away and get back for 500K.
Yeah ! Wish Savard had not overpaid that massively for Brisebois. There was no reasons whatsoever to make Brisebois one of the 10th highest paid dman in the league back then...

For all his faults, Brisebois is a good dman and it's not his fault if he's overpaid.

One thing that's going to happen is us using the buy out clause after next year IMO.

Old
06-23-2004, 06:53 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
I was happy hearing that this morning but if what the thread starter said is true I'm kind of sad for him.

Old
06-23-2004, 07:41 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

One is left wondering if this is a sign of the upcoming lockout and the hardline taken on salaries... or is this purely a move based on talent? That Komi is ready for the ice time and Q is just in the way of his development. Who knows, they can always sign him if there is an injury problem later right ?
Besides this was the guy who took the big money to play in New York and fell on his face. I was happy to see him make his way back to Montreal, but if he invested his money properly he will never have to work another day in his life if he chose to. ZERO sympathy from me.

Old
06-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik
''Bob told me he wanted to go with young players,'' Quintal said regarding an earlier meeting with Gainey.
Awesome! Gainey continues to impress me more and more every day! Woohoo!

As for the cost: Quintal made $1.5M, and he's not worth re-signing for "the same contract." He's slow and utterly useless on defense. His only marginally redeeming quality is a willingness to defend his teammates after the whistle.

On top of all that, Quintal is a pretty good spin doctor. He's the NHLPA rep for the Habs too, right? He knows how to ingratiate himself with the media and sculpt a reputation that is at odds with his true character. I'm very glad he won't be around to poison the team atmosphere as a depth player.

Bob: This banana's for you: Great job! OH what a beautiful morning!!!!

Old
06-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
I wish the best luck to Quintal,He was a good player for us In the past year,but Is time as come and we must replace him with youger player we have In the organization

Old
06-23-2004, 08:37 AM
eddy

I kinda feel bad for Quintal he was a solid d-man and willing to stay in Montreal for a low salary but BG is right it's time we give some of the younger guys a shot. Best of luck to Quintal though, I hope someone signs him.

Old
06-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Darz

I think Quintal sealed his own fate in Montreal when he stated he wasn't going to sign in Montreal if he was going to be a 7th dman. The last thing the habs need is a disgrunted veteran on the team. I honestly beleive if Quintal would of came out and stated that he wanted to stay in Montreal in any capacity the team felt he was best utilized, he would of been offered a contract by Gainey.

Oh well. I was always a fan of Quintal, and send my best wishes out to him.

Old
06-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I honestly beleive if Quintal would of came out and stated that he wanted to stay in Montreal in any capacity the team felt he was best utilized, he would of been offered a contract by Gainey.
Agreed.

Old
06-23-2004, 09:08 AM
mcphee

If you have 3 RD's, your 7th D man isn't going to shoot from the right. We can debate Brisebois and Rivet as opinions wildly vary with both of them,but they are ahead of Quintal. Personally,I think Bouillon is the perfect #7, but he doesn't give up his spot by default,someone has to win it. Q positions himself well publicly and manipulates the media to his advantage, and actually probably is a good guy, but wouldn't be a fit as a #7. They will have to have another player willing to drop the gloves though I assume a UFA winger will assume that role to an extent.

Old
06-23-2004, 09:08 AM
Roots73

Mr. Gainey must have a plan B in mind by letting Quintal go so easily. The guy publically admitted that he shouldn't have left the Habs when he jumped ship to the Rangers years ago. So he's obviously enamoured with the MTL organization and for that alone you have to feel for the guy.

You have to expect that Gainey will make a defensive addition either through a high draft pick or more likely a FA acquisition to fill the margional void left by Quintal. He'll surely land on his feet somewhere in the NHL.

Old
06-23-2004, 09:16 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots73
You have to expect that Gainey will make a defensive addition either through a high draft pick or more likely a FA acquisition to fill the margional void left by Quintal. .
*cough*gauthier*cough*cough*

Closed Thread