HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Eller Struggling?

Old
12-30-2010, 02:10 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

vCash: 500
Is Eller Struggling?

I haven't had a chance to watch the Habs this year, so sorry if this is way out there.

Has Eller struggled to adapt to the NHL so far? I would assume he would have more than 6 pts in 36 games.

Whats the deal?

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
He's being brought along very slowly and doesn't get much icetime let alone any powerplay time. There are games where he looks very good so all indications suggests he's NHL ready, just adapting/getting used to it. He's looked much better as a center.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:35 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
He's being brought along very slowly and doesn't get much icetime let alone any powerplay time. There are games where he looks very good so all indications suggests he's NHL ready, just adapting/getting used to it. He's looked much better as a center.
Will space open up for him next year, so he can get more PP and TOI?

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:53 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Will space open up for him next year, so he can get more PP and TOI?
Well gomez and pleks will be here for the long haul probably so I can't see him being moved up in the lines, But He should see his Ice time Rise next year once he becomes more consistent and defensively reliable. He has also been playing with some less then stellar linemates all season long, but he looks promising.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:19 AM
TheBourkeIdentity

I'd say Eller himself looks pretty strong, great puck posession skills. But still a little weak in his decision making when it comes to pass or shoot.

His line spends a lot of time in the offensive zone, but with very little finish. Line mates that were successful with other centers seem less successful with Eller, although that may be a subjective viewpoint.

I'm glad we have him, and I think he's going to develop into something special, he's just not quite there yet.

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:31 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

personally I think he has done well.
He came into this season as a rookie with only a handful of NHL games under his belt
and was traded for some peoples god....
so he had loads to live up too...
and besides he doesn't get a ton of ice time and the time he gets is usually with offensively inept players

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Depends on what you expected of him, I guess.

Considering he's a rookie playing on the third line, I say he's done well enough. Sure, he's been inconsistent, but like I said, he's a rookie. It happens.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:47 AM
PATCHESx67

Eller Is Great hes just playing with useless linemates

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I haven't had a chance to watch the Habs this year, so sorry if this is way out there.

Has Eller struggled to adapt to the NHL so far? I would assume he would have more than 6 pts in 36 games.

Whats the deal?
He's showing flashes of being a top 6 forward, been a bit inconsistant, but as a rookie that's to be expected.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:05 AM
neofury*

To be honest I have realistic expectations and I think he's doing great. We see a lot of great things from him. He doesn't have very many points because he's had very limited ice time mostly on the 4th line with guys like Lapierre. Even when on the 3rd line at best he has Darche and Pouliot. (That isn't to say I don't expect them to be great players I do, I just realize these things take time)

I'm a big fan of Darche, for spurts he can play as an effective 3rd liner but I don't see him as a permanent 3rd line player. I think at deadline habs will acquire a top 6 veteran forward and out lineup will be a lot more solid. Then Eller will eventually be given a chance on the 3rd line with guys like Pouliot, Pacioretty, UFA to be named, etc and he'll likely have much more success.

Like we saw earlier in the season with Gomez, it's tough as an offensive player to play on a line with only 1 other offensive player. Now imagine doing that with 7 minutes of ice time, no PP time and on the 4th line with Lapierre etc. Then when he does get the chance to play 3rd line minutes with 3rd line players one of those players is a 4th liner who has spurts of being productive offensively.

Hardly an ideal situation for a developing young player. However I do think it's because they're getting him to work on other areas of his game first.

Next year I think Lars will be much better. He'll likely start producing towards the end of this season once we do fill out our top 9 and it should carry over to the next season once he'd be getting 3rd line minutes with 2 offensive players all the time.

I wouldn't worry too much about Lars, he's one of the few players that when he doesn't produce I don't even worry in the slightest. I think of him like a Subban. He does a lot of good things on the ice but still needs to work on other areas of his game which for a young player is fine, but when you see the way the two of them play you can just tell they have way too much talent to not be contributing NHL players. The real question to me isn't whether or not these guys are boom or bust. It's whether they'll be stars or super stars.

I know a lot of people have their doubts about Eller and even Pouliot but I still genuinely believe these two players have a lot they still haven't shown us in terms of stats but also what they can do out there.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:18 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I don't think anyone's too upset with Eller's development at this point. He shows a lot of nice flashes and if he wasn't spending the entire season in our bottom-six with no PP time, he'd have more than 6 points.

The thing I really like about Eller is that he's a hard worker. He's what you'd call an "honest" player - doesn't take shifts off and plays hard in both ends of the ice. His defensive play isn't always perfect but it's rarely for lack of effort. I'm excited to see what he can do centering offensively gifted players on a regular basis.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Aurel Joliat

I think he will become a good hockey player.
But right now, he is a waste of roster spot. It would be better to have someone more offensive (Desharnais) or physical (White).

Eller is bigger than Desharnais but honestly, he don't hit and don't use his size.

My first choice since the summer is White and Eller's place is at Hamilton

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Tymaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Eller is bigger than Desharnais but honestly, he don't hit and don't use his size.
I can't agree with you on this one, he wins battle on the board, has a longer reach to poke check also. Desharnais has great skills but even in pre-season his big problem was that he couldn't bring the puck to the zone, was always easily stopped at the blue line. I might give him a try on the big team, but not on Eller's spot.

Eller might not have a lot of goals, but doesn't cause lot of goals against. The guy has 6 points and only a minus 1.

Tymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

One thing is sure, maybe as Habs fans, we will learn...some day...to lower our expectations. I do remember the "When's the last time we've had 2 Calder possibilities on the team" thread.....

Eller will definately be a great player. Not sure Martin is the coach for him. But I believe he'll battle through this and become something really valuable in due time. Fine that Martin brings him the defensive aspect of the game. One day, we will learn from Eller that Martin was a great help. But I'm not sure he'll make him go to the other level.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Mike8

No, Eller's not struggling. Seems to be going through a bit of a rough patch, but he's fine. Martin's bringing him along quite well.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
personally I think he has done well.
He came into this season as a rookie with only a handful of NHL games under his belt
and was traded for some peoples god....
so he had loads to live up too...
and besides he doesn't get a ton of ice time and the time he gets is usually with offensively inept players
Yes, it is certainly the unrealistic expectations of certain fans that has put Eller on pace to score half as many points as Mathieu Darche. Yes, it's our man god worship that has made him look out of place at the NHL level .

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Stradale

I don't think he's struggling despite the lack of production.

He doesn't get much ice time and PP time. His wingers are not the best and they are different every 2 games. So its hard to build any chemistry.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
One thing is sure, maybe as Habs fans, we will learn...some day...to lower our expectations. I do remember the "When's the last time we've had 2 Calder possibilities on the team" thread.....

Eller will definately be a great player. Not sure Martin is the coach for him. But I believe he'll battle through this and become something really valuable in due time. Fine that Martin brings him the defensive aspect of the game. One day, we will learn from Eller that Martin was a great help. But I'm not sure he'll make him go to the other level.
I learned this after 08/09.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

He shows flashes of "wtf, he can do that ?"

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:51 AM
habfaninvictoria

No... he's a rookie.... let it be

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:51 AM
overlords
Hfboards

On a team that struggles to win board battles and keep possession of the puck in the offensive zone, he'll be invaluable soon enough.

He's also pretty underrated when it comes to gaining the zone.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Habs13

At times he's been our best forward but it's for short bursts of time. He's shown some really strong sequences where to bursts past the blue line and blasts past defenders. He's strong on his skates and has a chip on his shoulder. Unfortunatly, he has Darche on his wing... poor kid.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:18 AM
phoque taupe

Is Eller Struggling?

For a rookie in a JM's system playing 8min per game with wingers borderline NHL level, he's doing alright.

I'm not saying he will become the shadow of Joe Thornton, but that's the way he was brought up in the NHL, and Boston did a good job developing him.
Yep, we are not the Ruins and this is not Thornton but you get the idea.

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
On a team that struggles to win board battles and keep possession of the puck in the offensive zone, he'll be invaluable soon enough.

He's also pretty underrated when it comes to gaining the zone.
Yup. Eller is an important player despite his lack of offensive production. Whatever line he's on usually spends their shifts in the opposing team's zone because he's plays a great puck possession game for a young man who still has to fill out his frame.

You are also right about his zone entrance. He's so smooth at skating passed the opponents blue line and dishing off a tape to tape pass no matter how tight the d plays on him.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Megaforce

I've missed way too many games but the ones I've seen Eller seems to make really bad turnovers. He's got nice blonde hair tho. I'd like to see Desharnais get a couple of his games because he seems to have the heart of a lion.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote