HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Eller Struggling?

Old
12-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
With Desharnais recalled they should send down Eller to Hamilton so he can learn how to finish and put the puck in the net. If he's not happy about it, I would give him Pacioretty as the perfect example of a player who hit the wall in the NHL before being sent down and rediscovering his game.
While we can always use some more finish, the players Eller's been playing with (except Pouliot but that combo was short-lived) have 10x less finish than him.

But I think Hamilton will do the kid a lot of good since he'll enjoy more playing time, more offense and more success, instead of being stuck here with scrubs and not being able to make a difference.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:36 AM
expy

Eller's just a victim of Martin's mismanagement of players.

expy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by expy View Post
Eller's just a victim of Martin's mismanagement of players.
And yet 2 weeks ago he was developping well and Martin was doing the right thing with him, ahhh the fans.....

Also I heard that Martin like to eat baby and to kill puppies you know and he is responsible for the war.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:20 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
And yet 2 weeks ago he was developping well and Martin was doing the right thing with him, ahhh the fans.....

Also I heard that Martin like to eat baby and to kill puppies you know and he is responsible for the war.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe the poster you've quoted was of the opinion Eller has been mishandled all along. It might not be your opinion, or even mosts, but being in the majority doesn't make you right. I don't personally think he's been mishandled, but I think he belongs in the AHL. Tbh he is wasting a roster spot at the moment.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:52 PM
ruski17

I expected more points out of him, but he is playing well so I can't really complain. Under a less defensive system, he could of had 15 points already. Ever since he scored his firts goal, he has been playing inspired hockey so I like that.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I'd like to know....if it was good for Pacioretty to go back in the AHL...why wouldn't it be for Eller to do so as well? 'Cause he got traded for Halak? For his development, send him back in the AHL and have him center the 1st line and some 1st line PP time.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Did it ever occur to you that maybe the poster you've quoted was of the opinion Eller has been mishandled all along. It might not be your opinion, or even mosts, but being in the majority doesn't make you right. I don't personally think he's been mishandled, but I think he belongs in the AHL. Tbh he is wasting a roster spot at the moment.
I keep asking myself the same question over and over. Until somebody has a post FROM THE SAME PERSON who changes opinions every single day, nobody can say that this fanbase is bipolar. But it's just the easier to categorize everybody like they would be 1 person.

Unfortunately, my opinion is not black and white. It's mostly grey. Martin is probably a good teacher as far as the overall awareness on the ice for any given player. I just don't think he'll ever be a coach who will give the final confidence touch to a player especially offensively.

Old
12-31-2010, 01:08 PM
ruski17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I'd like to know....if it was good for Pacioretty to go back in the AHL...why wouldn't it be for Eller to do so as well? 'Cause he got traded for Halak? For his development, send him back in the AHL and have him center the 1st line and some 1st line PP time.
Last year Pacioretty didn't look reeady for the Show and he seemed out of place. Eller just needs some offensive-minded wingers and a more offensive minded system to put more points up. He isn't the only one under achieving in terms of points this year. Also MaxPac only played a year or so in college before playing for the habs. Eller played in the Swedish Elite League and the Blues affiliate. So I don't think the AHl would do much except for maybe increase his confidence a bit.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
Last year Pacioretty didn't look reeady for the Show and he seemed out of place. Eller just needs some offensive-minded wingers and a more offensive minded system to put more points up. He isn't the only one under achieving in terms of points this year. Also MaxPac only played a year or so in college before playing for the habs. Eller played in the Swedish Elite League and the Blues affiliate. So I don't think the AHl would do much except for maybe increase his confidence a bit.
Which is OFTEN the only thing needed between an average player and a good one. My point is not about where they were coming from and how many years pro they had etc...It's all about their confidence level and especially the OFFENSIVE players who obviously needs more confidence than anything else. This team has almost no rugged players. They have no energy lines. If they want to have an identity, they only identity they can have is to follow the sacred system but also be able to build 3 lines that could be offensive. That's the only thing we can differentiate ourselves from the other. And for doing that, you need a capable 3rd line centerman who can play that role. The way Martin uses him, he's not going to get that confidence really easily.

Old
12-31-2010, 02:08 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Which is OFTEN the only thing needed between an average player and a good one. My point is not about where they were coming from and how many years pro they had etc...It's all about their confidence level and especially the OFFENSIVE players who obviously needs more confidence than anything else. This team has almost no rugged players. They have no energy lines. If they want to have an identity, they only identity they can have is to follow the sacred system but also be able to build 3 lines that could be offensive. That's the only thing we can differentiate ourselves from the other. And for doing that, you need a capable 3rd line centerman who can play that role. The way Martin uses him, he's not going to get that confidence really easily.
So. should Eller be sent down to Hamilton to re-gain his offensive touch and poise ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:15 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Personally it seems like a waste to play Eller on the fourth line. That IMO is a sure way to ruin the ability of skill reaching his potential. This is assuming the fourth is a grinder/shutdown line.

I was planning on about 35pts out of Eller this year. If he were on the Blues, I bet he would see third line time and reach those numbers. At least that was my projection in the offseason.

As for the comments of soft play... thats odd. He is usually a feisty player.

His PIMs were a bit high in Peoria last season. Too many stick infractions.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think Eller is ready for the NHL level, but if they are going to give Desharnais a long look, maybe send him down to Hamilton for 2-3 weeks to put up some points and get a bit more confidence. He's played a lot of good games, but the numbers haven't really reflected it so far.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Personally it seems like a waste to play Eller on the fourth line. That IMO is a sure way to ruin the ability of skill reaching his potential. This is assuming the fourth is a grinder/shutdown line.

I was planning on about 35pts out of Eller this year. If he were on the Blues, I bet he would see third line time and reach those numbers. At least that was my projection in the offseason.

As for the comments of soft play... thats odd. He is usually a feisty player.

His PIMs were a bit high in Peoria last season. Too many stick infractions.
Well he's on the Habs so he's probably been told to tone down the feistiness. Earlier on in the season he showed some bite:

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:34 AM
bentheprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Eller just needs to relax and quit taking so many penalties. Seems like he takes one a game.
He has 26 pim so far. I don't think that 13 minor penalties in 38 games is all that bad for a young player adjusting to the NHL. It should get better with time. Especially on a team that is averaging 12 pim a game without any real fighters.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Franky Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
He has 26 pim so far. I don't think that 13 minor penalties in 38 games is all that bad for a young player adjusting to the NHL. It should get better with time. Especially on a team that is averaging 12 pim a game without any real fighters.
Actually, Eller's the one taking the most penalties per 60 minutes played (2,1) according to a MAG's tweet.

Franky Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:58 AM
CanadienErrant*

Few games at AHL level would help him.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Well he's on the Habs so he's probably been told to tone down the feistiness. Earlier on in the season he showed some bite:

Awesome highlights. I'm still in love with the guy.

I really hope he reaches his potential, he's going to be a fun player to watch (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Polaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 05:16 PM
BBrowser

Hard to struggle from the bench.

Our new American league defense shouldn't help anyone strugglong offensively either.

Unless maybe Martin will suddenly be all-out attack minded now too since we only have offensive D's left??

Suban... To Eller in Neutral ice! He's in all alone!!..

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:11 AM
centrehice

Ya, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Hamilton. He needs to play more. Desharnais seems to be fitting in, so whynot put Eller down?

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrehice View Post
Ya, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Hamilton. He needs to play more. Desharnais seems to be fitting in, so whynot put Eller down?
Or we should just play him. He was the best player on his line and got benched. He's always creating things, but Martin refuses to use him properly (with decent linemates).

Martin should bring him back in the lineup and place him at center with Pouliot and Desharnais on the wings.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
If they are going to keep Desharnais as #3 center, Eller is better off playing 20 minutes a night in Hamilton. He's only 21 it's not like it's now or never for him...

Old
01-07-2011, 09:10 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If they are going to keep Desharnais as #3 center, Eller is better off playing 20 minutes a night in Hamilton. He's only 21 it's not like it's now or never for him...
Agreed. I've been saying the same thing. The way he has been used he should of been sent down 20games ago.

JM is a very frustrating coach. I'd rather lose than win with his boring, kid killing style. Is he next to be shipped off to succeed elsewhere. The amount of young players we have basically given away as of late is ridiculous. FTR I don't think Eller is at risk of being traded, but for pete sake he needs to play. Scratch Tommy freaking Pyatt already.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Andy

Quote:
Agreed. I've been saying the same thing. The way he has been used he should of been sent down 20games ago.

JM is a very frustrating coach. I'd rather lose than win with his boring, kid killing style. Is he next to be shipped off to succeed elsewhere. The amount of young players we have basically given away as of late is ridiculous. FTR I don't think Eller is at risk of being traded, but for pete sake he needs to play. Scratch Tommy freaking Pyatt already.
Agreed, considering that Lars Eller wasn't doing anything wrong or anything that would be worthy of a benching. He was consistently the best player on his line, playing a strong two-way puck possession game, there was no reason for him to be benched.

Martin makes me hate players I actually like. I love Darche, Pyatt, Moen, but Martin just makes me hate them the way he uses them.

Darche is good, but he has no business being on PP constantly and playing with Pouliot and Desharnais. Eller should be placed between Pouliot and DD so we can have a 3rd offensive trio. I guarentee it would work better than the line having Darche on it. Martin shouldn't have anything to worry about because Eller and Desharnais' two-games are good enough.

I feel like it takes a while for the obvious to hit Martin in the face. Like playing Gomez with two offensive wingers. Prior to Pacioretty's call up, Gomez played a grand total of 3 games with two offensive minded wingers, since being placed with two, he's a had PPG. Martin is a really stubborn coach.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
Hard to struggle from the bench.

Our new American league defense shouldn't help anyone strugglong offensively either.

Unless maybe Martin will suddenly be all-out attack minded now too since we only have offensive D's left??

Suban... To Eller in Neutral ice! He's in all alone!!..
Whith Wiz Subban and Weber in the lineup we move the puck better, not worse.

Old
01-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Before Desharnais was called up he was playing his 10-12 minutes a game and getting chances. But obviously now it's different, I'd rather have him in Hamilton than 4th line.