HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Linus makes the NY times

Old
12-14-2010, 12:48 PM
rec28

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to rec28
Linus makes the NY times

Mods, feel free to merge with the other Shoot-out thread, but I thought it was (marginally) notable enough to stand on it's own.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/14/sp.../14rookie.html

More whining from TB:

Quote:
“It’s embarrassing for him,” Ellis said. “You come into a league, a respectful league like this, and you try a little move like that. It’s not a very classy thing. That’s just the kind of person he is.”

Omark’s highlight-show goal has sparked a heated argument across North American hockey, a game rooted in the values of Victorian-era Canada, which regards personal flair and goal celebrations as immodest and contemptuous of opponents.

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:06 PM
oilerfanatic

"a game rooted in the values of Victorian-era Canada, which regards personal flair and goal celebrations as immodest and contemptuous of opponents."

yet hitting to the head and from behind runs rampant..and showboating is considered contemptuous.

you want to talk about victorian-era sports, even cricket, considered a gentlemen's game allows for celebrations and showboating.

this is really old school thinking..i hope the new crop of players change this mentality.

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
"a game rooted in the values of Victorian-era Canada, which regards personal flair and goal celebrations as immodest and contemptuous of opponents."

yet hitting to the head and from behind runs rampant..and showboating is considered contemptuous.

you want to talk about victorian-era sports, even cricket, considered a gentlemen's game allows for celebrations and showboating.

this is really old school thinking..i hope the new crop of players change this mentality.
Omark's actual goal celebration was really toned down though. He just did a spin move at the blue line, which for some reason has incited a lot of controversy. It shouldn't. I think some Tampa players are being sore losers (although the Ellis comments in the OP are nothing new, just being re-used by the writer I think). But realistically this is nothing to get that worked up about. At all. And I have a hard time seeing how it's disrespectful, but that's sort of beating a dead horse.

If he had performed a ridiculous goal celebration and we were up 6-0, that would be a different matter.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Did Ellis actually say that? What a ****in loser. Maybe if he could save a puck he wouldn't be saying that. It's also funny coming from a team where Stamkos took a slapshot not more than 15 feet away from Khabibulin, and Martin St. Louis skated backwards towards Marc-Andre Fleury a few years ago in a shootout.

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:20 PM
SerbianEagle

I haven't commented on this until now, but this is just......dumb.

How can any respectable NHL player whine about a shootout move where the goal is to trick the goalie and score? Would he have a problem if he did a spin-o-rama in front of him and still scored?

What is the difference? Some people (players, journalists, fans...) take this "respect" thing a little too far.

Name of the game is "Win". In order to win, you must score goals.

Once again, w-t-f

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:23 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
"values" of Victorian era... hahahahahahahaha

theyre talking about an era of massive racism and global snobbery and theyre trying to talk of some romanticized "civilized modesty."

this situation has been stretched out so thin that it no longer has any substance to look at. these writers and players against it are turds.

Ellis letting in a shot that was on the ice from that far out is f-ing hilarious. the technique of a mighty mite goalie in the NHL is even more of a disgrace to the game.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:27 PM
frag2

Well Crosby ok'd it...thus, it's ok haha

Now they need Ovy's reaction

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:54 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
was ellis the player that complaining about taxes last year saying he was more worried now then in University--if so..this guy is several levels down

As i said--I was amused by the goal and ellis is just pissed it happened to him

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Oi'll say!

A lot of Oiler fans really wanted a ********* like Tucker, Cooke, Tootoo, Ruutu etc here to stir the pot by running guys from behind and then crying like a little girl when someone challenged them (Tootoo doesn't run but he's still a dirty player and a suckerpuncher who can go **** himself, I'd quit being an Oiler fan if he came here).

Hopefully having Omark here is a good compromise for those who want a player who can get under opponent's skin without being a loser.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:30 PM
oilerfanatic

“If everyone thinks it was so bad, I would not have done it,” Omark told the Swedish daily Aftonbladet on Sunday. “If they take offense, what can I say? I’m sorry for that.

it's too bad omark is feeling apologetic now..i suspect he'll tone it down next time which is pretty sad.

Old
12-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Dosing

yzerman should have his players doing a public apology, only the lightning is looking stupid in this. It would give them some cred back.... and theres nothing like public humiliation

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:45 PM
frag2

Quote:
“If everyone thinks it was so bad, I would not have done it,” Omark told the Swedish daily Aftonbladet on Sunday. “If they take offense, what can I say? I’m sorry for that.

it's too bad omark is feeling apologetic now..i suspect he'll tone it down next time which is pretty sad
For some reason, I highly doubt Omark was truly being serious about that...

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:50 PM
oilerfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
For some reason, I highly doubt Omark was truly being serious about that...
lets hope so.

Old
12-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
“It’s embarrassing for him,” Ellis said. “You come into a league, a respectful league like this, and you try a little move like that. It’s not a very classy thing. That’s just the kind of person he is.”
What a money quote.

Ellis seemingly not being the most logical person. I've hilited the parts that I would be embarrassed to be quoted on.

How does Ellis know on the basis of a shootout move what kind of person Omark is and how does it then backfire on him? Is that not a lack of respect? Judgemental?

In one phrase Ellis has only succeeded in reducing his own credibility that would be otherwise granted.

The pen revealing more than the spin in this instance, pun intended.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Dabomb

Can you imagine the fan anticipation the next time Oilers are in a home shootout? Me thinks Linus will put on another show for the crowd..

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:54 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
wow i never heard that quote from ellis

even worse coming from a terrible goalie

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
lets hope so.
Yeah, Omark understands.

Heres his interesting quote:

Quote:
And he(Ellis) said what he said because he allowed the goal. He would have mocked me otherwise.”
Perfect.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Giant Moo

Ellis: "Those grapes are probably sour anyway"

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

"It’s embarrassing for him,” Ellis said. “You come into a league, a respectful league like this, and you try a little move like that. It’s not a very classy thing. That’s just the kind of person he is.”

Omark’s highlight-show goal has sparked a heated argument across North American hockey, a game rooted in the values of Victorian-era Canada, which regards personal flair and goal celebrations as immodest and contemptuous of opponents.
Ellis absolutely sucks this year, why not comment on your save percentage and inability to keep the puck out of the net. You are way over your head and belong in the ECHL or AHL.

What a joke; this being a respectful league. Right, one in which blind-side, potentially career ending, head shots were not only tolerated but supported for years. This league is all about violence and low on supporting skill. If that is respect, then I'm confused as to what the definition really means.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Hopkins to Hall

Considering the reaction by other goalies like J.S. Giguere I would say that they are all terrified to become the next "Ellis".

Perfect,.....advantage OMARK

Hopkins to Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:39 PM
SerbianEagle

Hopefully, JS plays tonight and Omark gets a breakway.....

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:45 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
If anything, this stunt has been fantastic for the NHL - the buzz is getting the story into places the NHL usually is not.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:58 PM
dasivon

I hope Omark does the exact same move next time (spin-o-rama part anyways).

dasivon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:00 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
i hope he does 2 spinoramas, scores the exact same way, and then slaps the goalie just so the "disrespectful" stuff is actually warranted

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:27 PM
SDig14

I'm hoping next SO he pulls the Stamkos and goes roof with a huge bomb...he's done it before and scored...perfect salute to the Lightning

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote