HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tuukka Rask hasn't played since December 15th...

Old
12-30-2010, 03:12 PM
LucicTrain*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
If Julien doesn't play rookies, how do you explain Lucic, Wheeler and Boychuk, just to name three, getting so much time in their first years?

Oddly enough, Terry Francona has the same rep, even with players like Pedroia, Ellsbury and Bard getting major playing time their rookie years. In both cases, under scrutiny, the assertion just doesn't hold water.
i never said he didnt play rookies, i said he favors his veterans heavily.

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Tigersnooze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
If Julien doesn't play rookies, how do you explain Lucic, Wheeler and Boychuk, just to name three, getting so much time in their first years?

Oddly enough, Terry Francona has the same rep, even with players like Pedroia, Ellsbury and Bard getting major playing time their rookie years. In both cases, under scrutiny, the assertion just doesn't hold water.
To be fair, "Claude doesn't play rookies" is different than saying "Claude loves his vets."

"Claude loves his vets," to me, means that no matter how much a veteran may be struggling, he WILL NOT sit and face any consequences.

So responding to someone saying "Claude loves his vets" by giving examples of rookies that have played significant minutes under Claude doesn't really hold water.

Tigersnooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG FTW View Post
i never said he didnt play rookies, i said he favors his veterans heavily.
While that's true, it doesn't really apply to this situation.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:40 PM
LucicTrain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatson783 View Post
While that's true, it doesn't really apply to this situation.
i guarantee if it was the other way around and situation between Rask and Thomas was flipped... Thomas would have started one of those games.

Old
12-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
i guarantee if it was the other way around and situation between Rask and Thomas was flipped... Thomas would have started one of those games.
And if he did, it'd likely be because TT was tired and wasn't up to that type of schedule....like we saw last year.

Have you had any indication that TT hasn't been able to handle that type of load?

Like I said, other cases sure- but when you have a guy in net with a record breaking season the story falls apart. It'd be dumb not to play him if he's good to go.

Old
12-30-2010, 03:52 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
And if he did, it'd likely be because TT was tired and wasn't up to that type of schedule....like we saw last year.

Have you had any indication that TT hasn't been able to handle that type of load?

Like I said, other cases sure- but when you have a guy in net with a record breaking season the story falls apart. It'd be dumb not to play him if he's good to go.
Well, if due to dumb luck or bad bounces, the Bruins are down 4-0 in the first ten minutes, I hope Julien leaves Thomas in there since he's good to go. I hate putting it that way, but once that happens, Thomas gets pulled and Rask gets put into the frying pan cold so fast it would make your head spin. That kind of annoys me because it tells me Rask is good enough to relieve but not good enough to start.

Last edited by ksp1957: 12-30-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: My touch typing really really sucks today.
ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:53 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Rask's .927 Save% would be top 5 and TT is at .938 in the last 6 weeks. This reeks of a coach on the hotseat overusing one goalie. We know that TT can be overused. Rask must be part of the formula and will be the goalie here for years to come if used and developed properly. Right now he's being ignored because you need the best performance in the league to squeak out wins.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
Well, if due to dumb luck or bad bounces, the Bruins are down 4-0 in the first ten minutes, I hope Julien leaves Thomas in there since he's good to go. I hate putting it that way, but once that happens, Thomas gets pulled and Rask gets put into the frying pan cold so fast it would make your head spin. That kind of annoys me because it tells me Rask is good enough to relive but not good enough to start.
Isn't that the case with any backup?

Old
12-30-2010, 04:07 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
Isn't that the case with any backup?
Florida's backup, Scott Clemmenson, who got the start against the Bruins says hello.

Old
12-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Florida's backup, Scott Clemmenson, who got the start against the Bruins says hello.
Sorry, I think I missed the point of your last post. Mind clarifying a bit?

Clemmenson did get the start against the B's but that even seems a bit out there....I wouldn't be surprised if Vokoun had travelled for Xmas and was coming back jet lagged so that Scott got the start.

Anyways, mind rephrasing what you said before?

Old
12-30-2010, 04:42 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
Sorry, I think I missed the point of your last post. Mind clarifying a bit?

Clemmenson did get the start against the B's but that even seems a bit out there....I wouldn't be surprised if Vokoun had travelled for Xmas and was coming back jet lagged so that Scott got the start.

Anyways, mind rephrasing what you said before?
Just that. Backups do get the occasional start except on the Bruins when Thomas goes on a hot streak. Then you ride the streak until it ends and if it ends in the middle of a game, so be it. Rask gets put in in the middle of the game where it would be preferrable to have him start once in 8 or 9 games without having Thomas tire out. It's one of those you can pay me now or pay me later situations. If we overplay Thomas this season or Rask last season, then you risk the goalie being worn down in the playoffs. The regular season is a marathon to see who makes the playoffs so it WOULD be better to have a more regular rotation of the two goalies.

Old
12-30-2010, 04:47 PM
LucicTrain*

Quote:

he's 36 and coming off hip surgery not to mention you have a damn good young goal tender that hasnt played in forever, so its not like the Bruins would have had to start some scrub in net. i didnt think he looked particularly good in Tampa he wasnt bad, but he looked to be fighting the puck and overplaying it a lot. people in the GDT thought he looked tired

Old
12-30-2010, 04:59 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
he's 36 and coming off hip surgery not to mention you have a damn good young goal tender that hasnt played in forever, so its not like the Bruins would have had to start some scrub in net. i didnt think he looked particularly good in Tampa he wasnt bad, but he looked to be fighting the puck and overplaying it a lot. people in the GDT thought he looked tired
Yep. His age and hip surgery sure seems to be hampering his record setting pace.

C'mon. Let's stop pretending you're actually concerned with Thomas and call a spade a spade. You want to see Rask in over Thomas. I'm guessing you never liked Thomas and would rather see him gone. Am I warm?

So far all the "anti-Thomas" guys are using the "He's 36 and coming off hip surger.. I-I-I.. I just want him feeling good later on!" when it's so painfully obvious that they simply don't have the old "He's flopping and costing us games!" excuses they used to have so now they have to play it nice.

I literally lol'd when in the GDT I saw a whole slew of them pop out of the woodwork to jump all over him over a couple of those goals the other night
So obvious.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:00 PM
mainemariner

I think Rask has been ill, or has a minor injury. Milbury stated last game that Rask was supposed to start but Julien decided to go with Thomas.

mainemariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
He was overplaying a ton the other night which I attribute to being up against old pals MSL and Vinny. He always does that and likely made sure he was in the line up for that one. He didn't look slow or tired at all- just trying too hard which is what gets him in to trouble.

Old
12-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Sir Richard 37
311 Has Grassroots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
... in the GDT I saw a whole slew of them pop out of the woodwork to jump all over him over a couple of those goals the other night
So obvious.

So very true.

Sir Richard 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:28 PM
LucicTrain*

Quote:
Yep. His age and hip surgery sure seems to be hampering his record setting pace.

C'mon. Let's stop pretending you're actually concerned with Thomas and call a spade a spade. You want to see Rask in over Thomas. I'm guessing you never liked Thomas and would rather see him gone. Am I warm?

So far all the "anti-Thomas" guys are using the "He's 36 and coming off hip surger.. I-I-I.. I just want him feeling good later on!" when it's so painfully obvious that they simply don't have the old "He's flopping and costing us games!" excuses they used to have so now they have to play it nice.

I literally lol'd when in the GDT I saw a whole slew of them pop out of the woodwork to jump all over him over a couple of those goals the other night
So obvious.
if the hip goes it goes... there's not gunna be no hampering, hes just gunna be out. right now he's healthy and playing great. i dont understand why the Bruins would ride him so hard at his age coming off surgery. i dont care if your back up is Joe Blow let alone a good goalie like Tuukka Rask, he shouldnt be starting back to back and it showed with his play on Tuesday night.

and cut the crap with the anti-Thomas stuff... its childish. should i start calling you anti-Rask?

Old
12-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Just that. Backups do get the occasional start except on the Bruins when Thomas goes on a hot streak. Then you ride the streak until it ends and if it ends in the middle of a game, so be it. Rask gets put in in the middle of the game where it would be preferrable to have him start once in 8 or 9 games without having Thomas tire out. It's one of those you can pay me now or pay me later situations. If we overplay Thomas this season or Rask last season, then you risk the goalie being worn down in the playoffs. The regular season is a marathon to see who makes the playoffs so it WOULD be better to have a more regular rotation of the two goalies.
I don't think it's quite a common occurrence on a good team especially when playing teams close to the top. I really now am wondering where Vokoun was for the holiday.

Really though, I think this is being overplayed. Timmy hasn't shown signs of wear and games now- unless bringing injury- should have less impact on the playoffs than games near the end. I expect him to be getting rest in the spring so he stays sharp, but coming off 4 days rest and not really a grueling week hitting for another 2 weeks, it's not a concern.

Again, it's more important in my mind to keep your starter in rhythm and playing (as long as he feels up to it and he doesn't show signs of wear which I trust the B's are watching for in every game day practice) than to worry about the reps your back ups takes. Tuukka will get the work he needs and the B's staff will keep him sharp until he's needed. In the mean time, I'm good with Timmy getting us 2pts on these nights.

Old
12-30-2010, 05:42 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Let's stop trying to analyze and label other people's opinion on the matter (pro-X, anti-X and X-hater). That leads to the dark side.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:47 PM
SerenityRick

Or it could be that Rask is injured or feeling sick. /thread.

Julien has always gone to the other guy on back to backs or in weeks where there is a lot of games in a short period of time and he hasn't. To me that tells me there's something more to it than Julien just overworking Thomas for the hell of it.

Could I be wrong? Of course. But I'm not really the reactionary type person to start a thread when there's an equal chance of a logical explanation for why Tuukka hasn't played in a while. It's not worth getting riled up over until we hear some official word as to why Tuukka isn't playing.

Until then I am going to assume it's because of a mix of Thomas being the best goalie in the world and maybe Rask feeling sick.

Old
12-30-2010, 06:48 PM
raNAPOLEONgs

Quote:
Or it could be that Rask is injured or feeling sick. /thread.

Julien has always gone to the other guy on back to backs or in weeks where there is a lot of games in a short period of time and he hasn't. To me that tells me there's something more to it than Julien just overworking Thomas for the hell of it.

Could I be wrong? Of course. But I'm not really the reactionary type person to start a thread when there's an equal chance of a logical explanation for why Tuukka hasn't played in a while. It's not worth getting riled up over until we hear some official word as to why Tuukka isn't playing.

Until then I am going to assume it's because of a mix of Thomas being the best goalie in the world and maybe Rask feeling sick.
?

raNAPOLEONgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:26 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by raNAPOLEONgs View Post
?
Well that was a great addition to the discussion at hand.

Let me help you:

Julien usually goes to the backup goaltender in a stretch where the Bruins play a lot of games, including back to back situations. The fact that he hasn't lately tells me that something is up that we, as fans, do not know about. For example Rask may be ill.

Old
12-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

I don't think it's a big deal I just don't want Thomas to get over worked and risk and injury or something like that. Play Rask at least every 5 games IMO

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:46 AM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
The Bruins can handle the goalie situation the way they want it to but one thing for sure, they can't ask Rask to perform at an high level when he's playing once in a while. If this team really want to see both goaltenders being ready to compete every night, they need a more balanced approach.
Exactly! I agree 100%. Best arguement yet for a balanced goaltending situation. After tonights game and what I thought was a soft goal (but need to see it again on relplay) I'm convinced that TT is tired and his reaction time is effected. If TR gets put in the next game now (if he isn't sick or injured) he's going to be rusty. I don't like the fact that TT needed surgery all or part of last season but put it off until the summer.. He's one tough competitor and I give him major kudo's for staying in there and not calling it a season (perhaps risking further injury) for the team, but that put undue pressure on TR and eventually he seemed somewhat slowed by the time the playoffs/ Flyers came around.

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:48 AM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raNAPOLEONgs View Post
?
This must have come from "The Newyorker" magazine since it doesn't make sense.

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote