HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sean Avery, waste?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-30-2010, 06:20 PM
  #26
bmw2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Hi my name is Sean Avery and I am disappointed at you guys for coming up with this topic. Happy New Year Everyone and let’s go Rangers.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 06:57 PM
  #27
jmb9191
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 444
vCash: 500
The Rangers ruined Avery. Well, Tortarella did. After those 2 horrible penalties in game 4 against the Caps in that playoff series, Avery got benched for game 5. Sicne then, hes never gone back to the guy he used to be (in your face, real pest type player) He's not the same guy anymore

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 10:33 AM
  #28
Zats Muccarello
Grinder
 
Zats Muccarello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb9191 View Post
The Rangers ruined Avery. Well, Tortarella did. After those 2 horrible penalties in game 4 against the Caps in that playoff series, Avery got benched for game 5. Sicne then, hes never gone back to the guy he used to be (in your face, real pest type player) He's not the same guy anymore
I dont think Torts ruined him, Torts just put priorities ahead and wants to get as close to the the cup as we can. I love Avery, he just gave up though. He barley puts any effort into the game unless he plays against rival teams. Still I think with a few more injuries on the roster, Avery will step up eventually.

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 10:45 AM
  #29
Slayem
Lucky Zuke
 
Slayem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Beyond Hell
Country: Norway
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
If Tortorella hates him and "misuses" him why the h...is he still on the team? It would be best for both parties if he went to another team where he would be welcome. I dont hate Avery, and I think he handles the situation in a professional way.

Slayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:21 AM
  #30
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,048
vCash: 500
His shooting % is 1.5% this season... 1 goal on 66 shots...

7.9% last season
10% season before
12% season before that

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:25 AM
  #31
Musto
Registered User
 
Musto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
His shooting % is 1.5% this season... 1 goal on 66 shots...

7.9% last season
10% season before
12% season before that
We know, he is not a good shooter. He can pass, though. Call him a cheaper, stranger version of Scott Gomez.

Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:31 AM
  #32
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musto View Post
We know, he is not a good shooter. He can pass, though. Call him a cheaper, stranger version of Scott Gomez.
I thought he was a much better shooter in previous seasons with us than we've seen this season.... Look at the previous shooting %'s.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:33 AM
  #33
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
Seriously can we stop making a Sean Avery thread twice a week?
I know the guy is doing his job and you have'nt heard a peep out of him being on teh 4th line. He is very capable of moving up in the lines if need be.

Avery has done just fine and some people need to stop expecting more than a gritty 3rd liner that chips in with pts here and there

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:08 PM
  #34
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,674
vCash: 500
Awards:
I'm a huge Avery fan as you all know, but even I'm a little disappointed with the way this season has gone for him. Even with my realistic expectations for him, 1 goal isn't going to cut it. I know he is getting less minutes than ever before, but he has had ample opportunities--both in terms of TOI and actual scoring chances--to have potted a few more goals.

He still works hard in the corners, throws his weight around and occasionally throws the opposition off their game. He can still distribute the puck pretty well. Those are valuable skills, though not really skills that we're lacking on this team.

I love Avery, I really do. When he is on his game, he's absolutely a difference maker. However, for whatever reason--limited TOI, Torts' "leash," waning interest in hockey, whatever else--he has been way less effective this season than ever before. Fortunately we have more than half of a season to play, so he has ample time to adjust and turn things around.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:18 PM
  #35
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,485
vCash: 500
No other team is going to want Avery, imo.

Avery ends his career as a NYR. He loves NY and he's a perfect 4th line guy, plus he's apparently not as much of a locker room cancer as some try to have you believe, since our most important player is his best friend. Is it when he's 32 or 35, though, that's the question.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:42 PM
  #36
dynamoovechkin
Registered User
 
dynamoovechkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
Avery is not a/the problem. In a way, he epitomizes what this team has morphed into- a hardworking, honest, gritty, team first unit.

I for one, am super happy with this team overall. You want to talk about underachievers? Let's start with DelZotto and Christensen and to a lesser extent Frolov and Gaborik.

I have this sneaking suspicion that Avery is more than the sum of his parts- i.e. dressing room leadership, sticking up for his teammates etc. He may not be scoring at his usual pace, but I am happy with what he's giving us given his limited ice time.

The guy is always going to be a polarizing figure. I guess I'm just used to it by now.

Sean the hockey player- slightly higher than average skill plumber. Sean the man- rock star! I mean, how many of you took the time to write him in as an all star candidate?

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:44 PM
  #37
Zats Muccarello
Grinder
 
Zats Muccarello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
Avery is not a/the problem. In a way, he epitomizes what this team has morphed into- a hardworking, honest, gritty, team first unit.

I for one, am super happy with this team overall. You want to talk about underachievers? Let's start with DelZotto and Christensen and to a lesser extent Frolov and Gaborik.

I have this sneaking suspicion that Avery is more than the sum of his parts- i.e. dressing room leadership, sticking up for his teammates etc. He may not be scoring at his usual pace, but I am happy with what he's giving us given his limited ice time.

The guy is always going to be a polarizing figure. I guess I'm just used to it by now.

Sean the hockey player- slightly higher than average skill plumber. Sean the man- rock star! I mean, how many of you took the time to write him in as an all star candidate?
lol i did xD but your right when you talk about underacheiveing, im very dissapointed in Del Zotto.

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 05:15 PM
  #38
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Avery's play has been fine. He has 15 points playing a fourth line role. He is not going to produce like he did in the Renney days because Renney used to play him more.
Avery wasn't playing on the 4th line when he's gotten the majority of his points. In fact, when he has played less than ten minutes a game, he's gotten a total of 3 points (all assists). His best month was in October when he scored 7 points. Since then, he scored 3 points in Nov. and 5 points in December (three of them coming on Dec 2nd against the Isles when he played on the first line).

He's just not consistant enough--there are too many nights where he's too aimless on the ice. Avery's not hurting the team with his play on the 4th line, but he just doesn't bring enough night and night out to justify giving him significantly more minutes on a regular basis.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 05:26 PM
  #39
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interesting Cat View Post
If Tortorella hates him and "misuses" him why the h...is he still on the team? It would be best for both parties if he went to another team where he would be welcome. I dont hate Avery, and I think he handles the situation in a professional way.
There is no other team in the NHL where Avery would be welcome.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 06:00 PM
  #40
Musto
Registered User
 
Musto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I thought he was a much better shooter in previous seasons with us than we've seen this season.... Look at the previous shooting %'s.
He seems to be shooting from the perimeter with little to no traffic and the goalie squared up more that he used to (like a Gomez) which is not working out for him at all. His goals and scoring attempts have characteristically come from right around the net rebound/garbage style amidst goalmouth chaos and he doesn't seem to have it in him to pick spots and snipe goals this season so he's relying on what he has termed "percentage shots" to no avail, obviously. I think part of why Torts would cut his icetime is because he is not doing what has worked for him in the past, albeit with a more tempered attitude, and is trying to be a more north-south type of player, which he is not.

To me, a lot of what Torts does as a coach makes sense and, as demanding as he is, he seems like an easy guy to please but Avery is notoriously a punk (which is probably why I like him). Guys like Callahan and Drury are much more straightforward in temperament and probably have had no problems following rules their whole lives. Avery is apparently a "different cat". The coach-love from Torts is doled out to those who conform, simple as that.

The goals will come when Avery goes back to what works for him and it seems that Torts knows this. The problem for Avery may be the delicate balance of getting in the tight, dirty spots and agitating, shoving and poking goals in without crossing the line and taking too many penalties. Temperance. Discipline. It's harder for some than others. I think the perimeter is a safer place for Avery mentally but is obviously not an effective place for him to score goals from.

Just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
There is no other team in the NHL where Avery would be welcome.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. He's a peculiar guy, no doubt, but I would imagine that there are brave GM's out there that would risk one year deals on him. Who? That I don't know.

Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 10:28 AM
  #41
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,602
vCash: 500
No player, since I have been a Rangers fan, is less consistent with effort, on a night-to-night basis. If he wasn't a "personality", he would be viewed similarly to how Redden is here.

Showing up every once in a while and winning fans over with "attitude" and flash, is as bad as it gets.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:29 AM
  #42
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
No player, since I have been a Rangers fan, is less consistent with effort, on a night-to-night basis. If he wasn't a "personality", he would be viewed similarly to how Redden is here.

Showing up every once in a while and winning fans over with "attitude" and flash, is as bad as it gets.
his effort was so bad that it got him 1st line minutes, multiple times.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 12:19 PM
  #43
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
his effort was so bad that it got him 1st line minutes, multiple times.
That was more a byproduct of Totorella not wanting to break up certain line combination that were working and had chemistry (Prust/Boyle/Feds, Dubi/AA)... But it also goes to show that Tortorella doesn't blindly single the guy out for unfair treatment. He put him on that line, worked out well for game 1, and then he left them together for 2 additional games, but they didn't produce much of anything, so he broke them up.


Last edited by wolfgaze: 01-01-2011 at 12:54 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 12:51 PM
  #44
nyr7andcounting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markman34 View Post
I dont think Torts ruined him, Torts just put priorities ahead and wants to get as close to the the cup as we can. I love Avery, he just gave up though. He barley puts any effort into the game unless he plays against rival teams. Still I think with a few more injuries on the roster, Avery will step up eventually.
What were Torts' priorities? Blowing a 3-0 series lead in the playoffs and then missing the playoffs completely the next season? Seems like we've gone farther away from the cup since then. Not to mention Torts picking up a stick and trying to go after a Caps fan behind the bench in the same series when he scratched one of his best players, at the time, for a lack of discipline.

I don't know if Torts "ruined" Avery. But he certainly is the main reason we have Avery playing the way he plays now as opposed to under Renney. I'd prefer the Avery we had under Renney to what we have now, he was more effective.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 12:55 PM
  #45
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post

I don't know if Torts "ruined" Avery. But he certainly is the main reason we have Avery playing the way he plays now as opposed to under Renney. I'd prefer the Avery we had under Renney to what we have now, he was more effective.
What a joke... Yeah, Avery has absolutely no responsibility nor accountability for how he plays, it's all about whether or not his coach is his best friend.

Avery must be like a frightened turtle who hides in his shell the second him and his coach don't see eye to eye... Who would have thought a big boy like Sean couldn't handle some adversity with the coaches he plays under... I know Torts definitely would probably bench him if he went out there and scored some goals.... Torts also probably frowns upon finishing your checks, fore-checking hard, and getting into fights to stick up for your teammates...

The way people coddle and baby his apparently fragile hockey persona around here makes me sick... He's an adult, he's a hockey player, this isn't the first time in history a head coach and a player might not see eye to eye.... It's part of the sport, players deal with this on every team and are still expected to perform to the best of their abilities... Lets stop pointing the finger at a coach that has SEVERAL players overachieving on this team.

Staal ,Girardi, Prust, Boyle, Dubi all having terrific seasons.... To some extent, AA, Cally, Stepan, Sauer, Fedotenko as well.... Yet when Avery is inconsistent and has a shooting percentage of 1.5%, it's our coach to blame, the 4th line minutes, or the refs.... So apparently the Rangers system works for everybody but Sean....

I love Avery when he's focused and determined.... He's an effective player out on the ice... Unfortunately the games where he's watching the play instead of being a part of it, they have my scratching my head....


Last edited by wolfgaze: 01-01-2011 at 01:07 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:04 PM
  #46
Zats Muccarello
Grinder
 
Zats Muccarello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
What were Torts' priorities? Blowing a 3-0 series lead in the playoffs and then missing the playoffs completely the next season? Seems like we've gone farther away from the cup since then. Not to mention Torts picking up a stick and trying to go after a Caps fan behind the bench in the same series when he scratched one of his best players, at the time, for a lack of discipline.

I don't know if Torts "ruined" Avery. But he certainly is the main reason we have Avery playing the way he plays now as opposed to under Renney. I'd prefer the Avery we had under Renney to what we have now, he was more effective.
that wasn't torts' fault though, it was a poor effort from the whole team, ESPECIALLY, from Avery. But things seem to be looking better this year because of the excellent effort we are getting from players like Dubinsky and Boyle.

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:10 PM
  #47
nyr7andcounting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What a joke... Yeah, Avery has absolutely no responsibility nor accountability for how he plays, it's all about whether or not his coach is his best friend.
So you disagree and think Avery under Renney WASN'T a more effective player than he has been under Torts? How can you watch the Rangers and come to that conclusion? Come on I was just stating a fact there.

I'm not saying Renney was Avery's "friend" and Torts isn't. None of us know, and really it doesn't matter. A coaches job is to get his players to play as well as possible. Torts hasn't done a good job of that with Avery. You seem to think it's because he's not friendly or something. I don't know if that's the case, but if it is maybe Torts should start?

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:17 PM
  #48
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
So you disagree and think Avery under Renney WASN'T a more effective player than he has been under Torts? How can you watch the Rangers and come to that conclusion? Come on I was just stating a fact there.
How do you know it's the coach to blame and not the player? How do you know Avery's play didn't take a step back by his own doing? I assume most fans won't consider that because he's a 'fan favorite'.... Wade Redden's play declined (continued to) while he was here, was that Renney and Tortorella's fault as well? If we're going to blame the coach for when players' play declines, are we also going to credit the coach when players' play greatly improves? I guess we should be patting Tortorella on the back for the force that is Brandon Dubinsky this season.... Or does Dubi get all the credit for his play and we only attribute the play of any particular player to the coach when it's convenient?

The other thing is this... Do you remember Avery's point streaks, his big goals, his play against the Devil's in the playoffs? Why can't he do that under Tortorella without any conflict? Why can't he fore-check hard, hit people, set up some plays, and chip in some goals? What about Tortorella's attitude, personality, or coaching philosophy prevents Sean from that that? The answer is nothing... Every coach would want that kind of contribution... So this myth that the head coach has this imaginary leash that prevents Sean from being an effective player needs to go.... The coach wants everything that Avery did under Renney, it benefits the team and helps us win... He doesn't want undisciplined penalties, or any acts out on the ice (dives, fights during warm-ups, behind the play antics) that reflect poorly on the organization or distract the team... If that's too much to ask, then the problem is with Avery and him not adjusting, because he can certainly do everything he did under Renney that made him an effective player, and still remain in Tortorella's good graces.


Last edited by wolfgaze: 01-01-2011 at 01:25 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:19 PM
  #49
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
dressing room leadership
That would seem to be a little bit of a stretch

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:22 PM
  #50
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
That was more a byproduct of Totorella not wanting to break up certain line combination that were working and had chemistry (Prust/Boyle/Feds, Dubi/AA)... But it also goes to show that Tortorella doesn't blindly single the guy out for unfair treatment. He put him on that line, worked out well for game 1, and then he left them together for 2 additional games, but they didn't produce much of anything, so he broke them up.
the point is that if his effort wasnt there, not only would he not get 1st line minutes he would also get scratched. torts doesn't like him and doesnt put up with bs. its going to be a tough argument to say his effort isnt there when 1) torts did give him 1st line minutes 2) he is what 2nd or 3rd on the team with assists 3) started a fight in the game vs pitt which woke the team up and we scored 4 goals in the 3rd. if anyone disagrees with number 3 go talk to mike keenan who said it himself

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.