HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery, waste?

Old
01-02-2011, 09:35 PM
nyr7andcounting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
If you think his only value is points per even strength minute, I'm surprised you've ever seen him play. When he is on, he gets the team and the crowd going. This year those moments are fewer and fewer.
But would you not agree that it's tough to produce those moments in 10 minutes of ice time? Those moments happened because he was out there getting under the skin of the other teams better players. That's not going to happen if the coaches aren't putting him in those situations. Or if the coaches weren't willing to live with some of those negative moments where he took a bad penalty, etc.

Quote:
Apologists like yourself always point to his lack of playing time as being an indictment of outside forces, failing to grasp that you earn ice time. The best players, the ones who put out every shift, win the coaching staff over and see the ice more. I thought everyone understood that.
Not only do I understand that but that's really the basis for any "pro-Avery" argument this season. His point production at even strength is right up there with all of our forwards and on top of that, as you mentioned, his value can surpass his offensive output because of the type of game he can play. He has, without a doubt, earned more ice than other guys have, in particular Frolov and Christensen and I think you can throw Fedotenko in there too.

I guess the best way to put it is Dubinsky/Callahan/Boyle have been great. Gaborik is our most talented player and Stepan has been good for a rookie. Beyond those 5 forwards I think everyone else is in the same boat this season yet Avery's been given way fewer opportunities than everyone else and I can't agree that he hasn't earned as much as the others.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:50 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
i think its time for him to go

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

He really hasn't been playing bad. Certainly not a liability on the ice. He's just not doing much with his ice-time, aside from the random pass from behind the net.

Still think we're a better team with him than without him. @1.9M, with another year remaining on his contract.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 06:43 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
Avery's been given way fewer opportunities than everyone else and I can't agree that he hasn't earned as much as the others.
Then why isn't he getting more ice time?

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 06:44 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
chosen, not even really trying to defend Avery here, but it can be hard to buy the effort = ice time argument all the time. We've seen Erik Christensen have repeated opportunities on the first line while showing up once every five games. Same goes for Frolov, who has been even more inconsistent than Avery. I get that Torts wants to get those guys going, and that they try. Avery tries, too though. Even when he's not being effective, I've never seen him out there not putting in the effort.
Do you agree that Avery has never been worse as a Ranger?

If so, why do you think that is?

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:04 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Then why isn't he getting more ice time?
Based on what I've said in this thread, and what we've seen in the ice, there doesn't appear to be an answer for that. Especially after getting swept in Florida, scoring 1 goal in the first game and being completely dead in the second game, in games where Avery and 6 and 9 minutes of ice. He's 11th among forwards, by a good distance. I think he's earned a better opportunity than that.

If the coaches have something personal against him that we don't see then I'd say they should get over it because he's a player who can really help our team if given the opportunity to play his game.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post

If the coaches have something personal against him that we don't see then I'd say they should get over it because he's a player who can really help our team if given the opportunity to play his game.
Again, it sounds like we're deflecting blame here... So when Avery's not playing his game, it's because he's not being given the opportunity to do so? What responsibility does the player accept for how he plays the game?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:12 PM
PawelW007

If someone told me Sean Avery would have 15 points in 30 some odd games, I'd take it. He can do more, hasn't gotten the oppurtunity to do so. 2 Games on a line with Gaborik, 3 assists. I think that says something. If Tortorella stuck with a 1st line for more then 2 periods then maybe things would be different for Sean. Injuries have also played into the line juggling, regardless, I think Sean is having an ok season, a little snake bitten, but I feel he gives 100% effort every night and we aren't paying him a fortune so, its all good.

PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawelW007 View Post
If someone told me Sean Avery would have 15 points in 30 some odd games, I'd take it. He can do more, hasn't gotten the oppurtunity to do so. 2 Games on a line with Gaborik, 3 assists. I think that says something. If Tortorella stuck with a 1st line for more then 2 periods then maybe things would be different for Sean.
No, it was 3 games, Isles (away), Isles (home), Sens (away). Did you watch the latter 2 games? That line produced nothing and didn't show any chemistry. Neither Christensen nor Avery are 1st line players, we shouldn't be surprised that Torts broke that line up after 2 games of showing nada.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 01-04-2011 at 08:16 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:10 PM
the zamboni

We all know he can't stay onsides to save his life, and on top of that his decision making has been terrible as of late. He just makes so many boneheaded plays that leave me dumbfounded. He has skill, but no hockey sense.

the zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote