HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This year's goal differential

Old
12-30-2010, 05:28 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
This year's goal differential

When was the last time the Rangers were +20 in this stat mid-way through a season? Pretty sure it was decent in the first year post lockout, but aside from that? It's not the biggest stat in the world, but I think it is a reflection of a team that beats down who they should and competes with the good teams.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:30 PM
reckoner

vCash: 500
honestly, it's more important than you give it credit for--as it's probably the most important stat regarding the success of a team (in any sport).

not only does it illustrate how balanced a team is, but it's also an indicator of future success (through the post-season). granted, the goal differential can be skewed by a few blowouts, towards the end of the season it evens out.

when you look at teams with a poor goal differential (washington, tampa bay, atlanta, st. louis, dallas, etc.), it's because they give up way too many goals or don't score enough--which doesn't bold well for their post-season hopes.

then again, crazier things have happened in this sport.

P.S. the rangers have the sixth best goal differential in the league! which is awesome! in the post lock-out year they had the fourth best in the league with a +42 (ottawa had a +100 goal differential, which i guess completely screws my theory).

reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:50 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoner View Post
honestly, it's more important than you give it credit for--as it's probably the most important stat regarding the success of a team (in any sport).

not only does it illustrate how balanced a team is, but it's also an indicator of future success (through the post-season). granted, the goal differential can be skewed by a few blowouts, towards the end of the season it evens out.

when you look at teams with a poor goal differential (washington, tampa bay, atlanta, st. louis, dallas, etc.), it's because they give up way too many goals or don't score enough--which doesn't bold well for their post-season hopes.

then again, crazier things have happened in this sport.

P.S. the rangers have the sixth best goal differential in the league! which is awesome! in the post lock-out year they had the fourth best in the league with a +42 (ottawa had a +100 goal differential, which i guess completely screws my theory).
It doesn't mess up your theory entirely. Remember, that 1st season post-lockout was...a tad weird. It was an insane year for offense, and the Rangers really didn't get killed on the scoreboard until those awful last 2 weeks of the season when the entire house caved in on them.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:00 PM
BwayBshirt

Personally for me, the only huge issues I have had with the team to date are the home record(which is improving) & the results of the Western Conference games.

It's unusual to see a young team be more consistent with winning on the road as opposed to at home at this point of a season. Oddly though, I think the Rangers are actually playing more evenly & control the pace better at home but until more recently the results were inconsistent.

As for the 2nd point, the Rangers in recent memory(possibly historically) have never done too well vs. the Western teams & this season is no different. One of these seasons that might change.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote