HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lets play match game:Who is this prospect?

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2004, 12:25 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Lets play match game:Who is this prospect?

1)Here is the scouting report on this prospect and guess who is this prospect eligible for Saturday's draft

Excellent balance and a wide, powerful stride .. able to power through checks and control the puck at top speed .. looks like Nieuwendyk at times .. smart passer in traffic .. fast feet for a big man .. nifty one-on-one skills .. knows how to take his excellent speed at defenders and force them to respond to his challenge .. then dishes off nice lateral passes to linemates after creating the space with his speed .. unselfish player .. very smart with and without the puck .. not a flashy puckhandler but very solid and can surprise with top-shelf moves .. understated skillwise in a Ron Francis type of way .. very aware of d-zone duties and covering for pinching d-men.

2)Would you want the Rangers to use the #6 overall selection on this player

Old
06-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
1)Here is the scouting report on this prospect and guess who is this prospect eligible for Saturday's draft

Excellent balance and a wide, powerful stride .. able to power through checks and control the puck at top speed .. looks like Nieuwendyk at times .. smart passer in traffic .. fast feet for a big man .. nifty one-on-one skills .. knows how to take his excellent speed at defenders and force them to respond to his challenge .. then dishes off nice lateral passes to linemates after creating the space with his speed .. unselfish player .. very smart with and without the puck .. not a flashy puckhandler but very solid and can surprise with top-shelf moves .. understated skillwise in a Ron Francis type of way .. very aware of d-zone duties and covering for pinching d-men.

2)Would you want the Rangers to use the #6 overall selection on this player
Must be Stafford?

Old
06-23-2004, 12:35 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
Must be Stafford?
It's Stafford

Would you take him at #6?

It's McKeen's updated scouting report on Stafford

Old
06-23-2004, 12:37 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

This wouldn't be too bad at #24. http://newyorkrangers.com/team/nhldr...Player=Zajacat

Last edited by jas: 06-23-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old
06-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
It's Stafford

Would you take him at #6?

It's McKeen's updated scouting report on Stafford
no, I wouldn't, but I think he is also a good player, but very unlikely a top line potential. Guys like Tukonen, Ladd and Olesz I think have a higher potential and are all just as safe and hard working as Stafford.

Old
06-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
PLEASE. Olesz at #6.

Old
06-23-2004, 12:53 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
no, I wouldn't, but I think he is also a good player, but very unlikely a top line potential. Guys like Tukonen, Ladd and Olesz I think have a higher potential and are all just as safe and hard working as Stafford.
If Drew Stafford was give more ice time at North Dakota,his draft ranking would be higher

Rotislav Olesz has a higher potential?Some scouts feel Olesz is what he is and he was peaked at the tender age of 18.Some scouts feel Olesz is so limited offensively that his upside is just as a third line center

If Lauri Tukonen or Andrew Ladd are available,then it's a different story

Old
06-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
If Drew Stafford was give more ice time at North Dakota,his draft ranking would be higher
Same can be said about most prospects.

Old
06-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Fish

Here's another positively slanted report on Stafford:

http://www.uscho.com/news/2004/06/21_008548.php

Old
06-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Here's another positively slanted report on Stafford:

http://www.uscho.com/news/2004/06/21_008548.php
Somehow, I don't think a College Hockey pub is gonna give anything but a glowing report on Stafford..

And, folks, like in the Thelen discussion in the other thread, we all have to realize that we all have some biases and favorites (just like scouts do) and that nothing will be proven for quite a few years....

Personally, I will not be upset if we draft one of Ladd, Olesz, Tukonen, Stafford, Radulov, or Thelen just that my order of preference is Radulov, Thelen, Ladd, Stafford. Olesz and Tukonen..which I know goes against the grain

Old
06-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Fish

Indeed...and I'll add that sometimes McKeens (and other scouting sources) can sometimes get caught up and write only what's good which when taken without viewing of the actual player can give a rather inaccurate view of their potential.

We all have to remember that these players for the most part are not NHL ready. People who get paid to evaluate the talent full-time still have a hard time picking who will succeed and who won't. A lot depends on personal preference (even at the NHL level), personality and opportunity...things that we have no control over.

Old
06-23-2004, 01:52 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

I heard that Stafford has family ties to the Ranger organization so I would not be the least bit surprised if we picked him. Although I would prefer other options over him, I wouldn't be upset with the pick. The kid can play any style the coach asks of him and he hustles, good strong prospect.

Old
06-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
I heard that Stafford has family ties to the Ranger organization so I would not be the least bit surprised if we picked him. Although I would prefer other options over him, I wouldn't be upset with the pick. The kid can play any style the coach asks of him and he hustles, good strong prospect.
I, for one, would be upset if we pick any player because of some family ties or some friendship, etc.

Old
06-23-2004, 02:04 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Wait, we are talking about a player that ranked 9th by THN. Many people really like the kid. Personally, I still think the pick will be Ladd, but, this kid may have as much upside as him and played behind Jesus himself. (That would be Parise.) If the Ranger scouts have him rated highly, much like last year with Jessiman, I would expect them to take Stafford.

Last edited by jas: 06-23-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old
06-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Unknownbutfamous

Send a message via AIM to Unknownbutfamous
Quote:
I, for one, would be upset if we pick any player because of some family ties or some friendship, etc.
I agree!

Old
06-23-2004, 02:11 PM
Prucha73

Then again Safford could be a much bigger Chris Drury.

Old
06-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Wait, we are talking about a player that ranked 9th by THN. Many people really like the kid. Personally, I still think the pick will be Ladd, but, this kid may have as much upside as him and played behind Jesus himself. (That would be Parise.) .....

Wait a minute, I thought that was Jillson! Parise is nothing but a false god...

Old
06-23-2004, 02:21 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Hells' yeah me too! But let's not kid ourselves, IF the Rangers choose him it would not be soley on family ties, he is a great prospect ranked to go in the top ten by many sources. But if they have him closely ranked with other prospects then you know that his affiliation would be the deciding factor.

Old
06-23-2004, 02:24 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Wait a minute, I thought that was Jillson! Parise is nothing but a false god...
Wrong, RADULOV-worshipper! Jillson was a false prophet. Parise is the NEW hockey messiah. (That is until Sir Sidney arrives in Ranger blue next year!)

Old
06-23-2004, 02:25 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
Hells' yeah me too! But let's not kid ourselves, IF the Rangers choose him it would not be soley on family ties, he is a great prospect ranked to go in the top ten by many sources. But if they have him closely ranked with other prospects then you know that his affiliation would be the deciding factor.
Much like they did with Blackburn?

Closed Thread