HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks have scout at Jacket-Leaf game

Old
12-31-2010, 12:29 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Give me Fedor Tyutin. Good size, good mobility, good both ways, bit of a rough year thus far. 1 year after this one at 2.9 mill means we don't need to look for a top 4 next year as well.
Tyutin would be a good pick up, but the fact that he has another year on his contract means he'll cost more. That's why Hejda as a cheap rental makes sense. He's a HUGE upgrade from Kent Huskins with a similar cap hit (Hejda's 10-11 cap hit is 300k more than Huskins).

Having said that, I'd do Huskins, Murray, Petrecki, and a 1st (And maybe something else) for Hejda and Tyutin. I suspect CBJ would want more return for both, probably have to throw Seto into the deal though.

Boyle, Tyutin, Hejda, Vlasic, Demers and Wallin would be a nice top 6.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:16 AM
param

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Folks that have an idea how many pro scouts are at every NHL and AHL game laugh at all the excitement it generates from fans.
Yay for constructive input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Tyutin would be a good pick up, but the fact that he has another year on his contract means he'll cost more. That's why Hejda as a cheap rental makes sense. He's a HUGE upgrade from Kent Huskins with a similar cap hit (Hejda's 10-11 cap hit is 300k more than Huskins).

Having said that, I'd do Huskins, Murray, Petrecki, and a 1st (And maybe something else) for Hejda and Tyutin. I suspect CBJ would want more return for both, probably have to throw Seto into the deal though.

Boyle, Tyutin, Hejda, Vlasic, Demers and Wallin would be a nice top 6.
Not too sure about Hejda, the Blue Jackets aren't exactly at the bottom, and I see them as buyers right now, rather than sellers. A slim chance on Hejda, but a definite nono on Tyutin. As for the scout being at Woostah, aside from Stalock, I'm not sure who else they would be looking at. From what I've gathered (which isn't much...hockeysfuture.com), they're defensive pool looks decent (so guys like Schaus, Petrecki, Braun are probably out of the question) and we don't have solid forwards at the moment (so I doubt that Marcou and MacIntyre are creating any interest in Columbus).

Don't get me wrong, Tyutin would look great in teal, but I hardly see it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
I thought I read somewhere back during the Kaberle debacle in the offseason that kabs said he would refuse to waive his NTC for any team in the west, and would only play for teams in the east???

Either way, at this point I would like to see him in a Sharks uniform as well.
If that is true, I don't think the guy would mind (as VP and GM mentioned) going to a cup contender since he'll be a UFA anyways. It's totally understandable that the guy has roots in Toronto, but if it gives him an opportunity to go and have a serious shot as a rental, then why not? He can always sign closer to where he lives after the season.

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
Yay for constructive input!
Forgive me for knowing that scouts at an NHL game isn't a big deal.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 05:07 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Steve Kaspar (currently a scout for Toronto) was at the Worcester Sharks game tonight.
With Petrecki, Doherty, Wrenn et al at the near end of the pipeline, SJS might be thinking of moving Braun for a top flight rental like Kaberle, or for a non-rental like Beauchemin. SJS in either case would need to dump some salary to make either fit under the cap.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
With Petrecki, Doherty, Wrenn et al at the near end of the pipeline, SJS might be thinking of moving Braun for a top flight rental like Kaberle, or for a non-rental like Beauchemin. SJS in either case would need to dump some salary to make either fit under the cap.
Ugh...

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 05:22 PM
Slurms McKenzie
Wam wam wazzle!

is burke coughing up 4 picks?

Slurms McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Why must we always painfully wait until the deadline to expect a trade ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 08:26 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
I HATE the Vlasic-Wallin pairing. Vlasic is at his best with Boyle or Demers.
That's because Wallin becomes the mobile puck carrying defenseman (and the physical defenseman) in that pairing. Vlasic would be best paired with a big and fast mobile puck-carrying two-way defenseman.

12-31-2010, 08:48 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Just a scout at a game; doesn't mean much.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

I can see Ferriero going the other way

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 10:48 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks19 View Post
I can see Ferriero going the other way
Which one?

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

Beauchemin would be nice..Along side Boyle?

Last edited by Fatturdmanshark: 01-01-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundsHansen32 View Post
Beauchemin would be nice..Along side Boyle?
No, he wouldn't. He's been atrocious for 90% of this season. And he's not as defensively sound as the Sharks need.

Forget getting anyone to pair with Boyle. The Murray-Boyle pair is firmly established and Boyle plays noticably worse with anyone other than Murray. What the Sharks need is someone to play with Vlasic.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
No, he wouldn't. He's been atrocious for 90% of this season. And he's not as defensively sound as the Sharks need.

Forget getting anyone to pair with Boyle. The Murray-Boyle pair is firmly established and Boyle plays noticably worse with anyone other than Murray. What the Sharks need is someone to play with Vlasic.

Mostly agree - though when Vlasic was paired with Boyle, they looked fine. In that case, we'd need someone paired with Demers.

So, if we stick with Murray-Boyle, then you need a PMD for Vlasic but if Vlasic is paired with Boyle, then you need a defensive dman with a good first pass to pair with Demers.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 12:52 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Mostly agree - though when Vlasic was paired with Boyle, they looked fine. In that case, we'd need someone paired with Demers.

So, if we stick with Murray-Boyle, then you need a PMD for Vlasic but if Vlasic is paired with Boyle, then you need a defensive dman with a good first pass to pair with Demers.
uhm... Murray?

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
uhm... Murray?
Sure but that pairing worries me still. I don't think Demers is good enough to cover for Murray's mistakes, especially when he's tired. I'd still want a defensive dman who can easily play 21-23 minutes.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:06 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Yup. The second pair has always been the problem. Forwards have to come all the way back when they are on the ice together because neither is very good starting the offense.

I suspect the trade that will be made is for a puck mover to pair with Vlasic but it might not be the right move because he's not an ideal partner for a puck carrying defenseman given his inability to hold the puck on the boards and make a first pass.

It might be heresy, but for the right 2-way defenseman I would trade Vlasic and keep Wallin given what we've seen of Wallin's play of late when healthy. Wallin is the guy that can possess the puck on the board and make a first pass. Trading MEV and getting a puck mover and someone with a little more offense would be a better solution for a second pair because the Vlasic needs a big body like Wallin, Blake, Hannan, etc to play with.

Not specifically who I would trade for, but players like Meszaros, Klesla, Letang, Paul Martin, Ryan Whitney, Brent Burns would be high on the list. Regrettably to me, Vlasic is another stay at home defenseman who hasn't developed the latent skills I thought he possessed and we need. We are full up with defensive and stay at home defensemen.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:35 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Yup. The second pair has always been the problem. Forwards have to come all the way back when they are on the ice together because neither is very good starting the offense.

I suspect the trade that will be made is for a puck mover to pair with Vlasic but it might not be the right move because he's not an ideal partner for a puck carrying defenseman given his inability to hold the puck on the boards and make a first pass.

It might be heresy, but for the right 2-way defenseman I would trade Vlasic and keep Wallin given what we've seen of Wallin's play of late when healthy. Wallin is the guy that can possess the puck on the board and make a first pass. Trading MEV and getting a puck mover and someone with a little more offense would be a better solution for a second pair because the Vlasic needs a big body like Wallin, Blake, Hannan, etc to play with.

Not specifically who I would trade for, but players like Meszaros, Klesla, Letang, Paul Martin, Ryan Whitney, Brent Burns would be high on the list. Regrettably to me, Vlasic is another stay at home defenseman who hasn't developed the latent skills I thought he possessed and we need. We are full up with defensive and stay at home defensemen.
No. Wallin's Corsi has never been good. He can possess on the boards but unless the forwards or his partner are very good, his first pass is very subpar. The problem is definitely in the Vlasic/Wallin pairing. The other issue with Wallin is that the coaches have decided to reduce his PK minutes. I haven't seen why, but they are seeing something that does not bode well. Those minutes are going to Huskins and Demers and that is a recent trend.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
No. Wallin's Corsi has never been good. He can possess on the boards but unless the forwards or his partner are very good, his first pass is very subpar. The problem is definitely in the Vlasic/Wallin pairing. The other issue with Wallin is that the coaches have decided to reduce his PK minutes. I haven't seen why, but they are seeing something that does not bode well. Those minutes are going to Huskins and Demers and that is a recent trend.
It may be just me, but I have noticed that on the PK Wallin tends to lose positioning on his guy too much. He tries to play physical, and is showing a definite lack of smarts on the PK, IMO. His lack of mobility has been an issue a number of times, and he seems to have major issues getting the puck out of the zone.

Huskins has been significantly better on the PK.

Old
01-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Slurms McKenzie
Wam wam wazzle!

Quote:
It may be just me, but I have noticed that on the PK Wallin tends to lose positioning on his guy too much. He tries to play physical, and is showing a definite lack of smarts on the PK, IMO. His lack of mobility has been an issue a number of times, and he seems to have major issues getting the puck out of the zone.
sounds like a swedish thing =x

Slurms McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjc View Post
sounds like a swedish thing =x
Sorry, anyone with that tag line under that nick immediately loses all credibility as far as I'm concerned.

Old
01-02-2011, 03:51 AM
dwood16

Quote:
Sorry, anyone with that tag line under that nick immediately loses all credibility as far as I'm concerned.
I'll second that.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:04 AM
vilpertti

Considering the history, I think anyone would welcome a trade with Toronto. They seem to work out really, really well for the Sharks.

vilpertti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:38 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Wallin's and do recognize his current Corsi is suckage. Its worse than last year and without looking, I suspect could be at an all-time low. Like Niemi, getting his rating up after a crap start - even to something average will be difficult. The rating does not reflect current play though. His recent play has been much improved, especially his first step to the boards. I disagree with you about the first pass. He's a lot like Murray in my mind.

Totally agree Wallin-Vlasic is a horrible pairing; uncomplimentary for both and makes it more difficult on Wallin with the keep in's. The only benefit is it gives Vlasic the ability to have a big body to help him on the boards in theory, but offenses figure that out fast and force the play to the right making Vlasic handle the puck low unless there is a switch. Its just not a good pairing.

As far as reducing his time on the PP, part of that might have had something to do with Braun on the roster and seeing the defense start to produce points. It didn't with Wallin on the PP. Part is the improved play of Seto inserted in place of Pavs and where the top PP is going to 4 forwards. Part might be trying to develop Vlasic who is taking the left on the second unit with Demers. There is no question: Wallin is not an offensive juggernaut and the fact that he's there at all just points out the poor development of Vlasic and the lack of alternatives on defense. He is obviously not being missed on the point.

I'm not making a case for Wallin being better than anyone really. But in the defensive pairings, when we do get rid of someone, if we got a top pairing guy that shoved everyone down a notch I was pointing out I would make Vlasic available and keep Wallin under that circumstance. As noted, its an unlikely scenario. I just don't see those kind of players moving in trade unless its a rental and in that case, Vlasic isn't going the other way.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:32 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Wallin's and do recognize his current Corsi is suckage. Its worse than last year and without looking, I suspect could be at an all-time low. Like Niemi, getting his rating up after a crap start - even to something average will be difficult. The rating does not reflect current play though. His recent play has been much improved, especially his first step to the boards. I disagree with you about the first pass. He's a lot like Murray in my mind.

Totally agree Wallin-Vlasic is a horrible pairing; uncomplimentary for both and makes it more difficult on Wallin with the keep in's. The only benefit is it gives Vlasic the ability to have a big body to help him on the boards in theory, but offenses figure that out fast and force the play to the right making Vlasic handle the puck low unless there is a switch. Its just not a good pairing.

As far as reducing his time on the PP, part of that might have had something to do with Braun on the roster and seeing the defense start to produce points. It didn't with Wallin on the PP. Part is the improved play of Seto inserted in place of Pavs and where the top PP is going to 4 forwards. Part might be trying to develop Vlasic who is taking the left on the second unit with Demers. There is no question: Wallin is not an offensive juggernaut and the fact that he's there at all just points out the poor development of Vlasic and the lack of alternatives on defense. He is obviously not being missed on the point.

I'm not making a case for Wallin being better than anyone really. But in the defensive pairings, when we do get rid of someone, if we got a top pairing guy that shoved everyone down a notch I was pointing out I would make Vlasic available and keep Wallin under that circumstance. As noted, its an unlikely scenario. I just don't see those kind of players moving in trade unless its a rental and in that case, Vlasic isn't going the other way.
WS,
The surprise was coaches reducing PK not PP.

On first pass, Wallin has played for a long a time on a team where there is very close support in the d-zone, no long bombs coming from the Carolina backend. There is no way that the Sharks' forwards in their current incarnation put the same level of consistent teamwide effort in as the Canes in their breakout skating which creates very short or no passing for dmen. My issue with Wallin on breakouts is that he has had too many of his longer attempts (not long, just longer) intercepted or ending up in 50/50s. It is the same problem with Niemi where their passes beyond about 10 feet aren't lined up to lead the teammate properly or where they misjudge how close that teammate is being checked.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote