HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

noob needs some tips

Old
12-29-2010, 07:16 PM
datsyukianLIKE

vCash: 500
noob needs some tips

i started to play hockey about a year ago and then just took a 3 month break i just had a baby...i went to drop in yesterday and did pretty bad i was all nervous and i was doing horriable so i just stuck to playing a far back d man any tips for me i have limited ice time anything i try off ice dosent seem to work for me when im on the ice drill wise

datsyukianLIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:57 PM
doobie604

congrats on the baby. it's hard to play again when you been off for so long, but i would suggest playing wing instead of d. because playing d is pretty hard compare to the wing, and you need to be one of the better backwards skater on the team. a lot of noobs would sit back but thats the worst thing to do when you're do, attacking forwards can burn you just by going wide. it takes a bit of time to get your skating legs back, so i wouldn't worry too much about it other than get as much ice time as you can.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Trojan35

if you can't skate from your own goal line to the opponent's blue-line and back, you should work on your conditioning. that'll help your enjoyment of the game immensely.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:31 AM
robat19

Kalamazoo?

Maybe just try to go out to the sticks n pucks and work on things on your own without having to do it at drop in?

robat19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:35 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

try and enroll for some adult conditioning and skating camps in your area if you can find it

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well if you just started playing a year ago and haven't played in a few months and go to drop in (usually full of former high school players), you're going to get schooled. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I would try to go to stick and puck or early morning open ice, or if you have frozen ponds outside go to those. Skate until you get your legs under you, work on your turns, stops, and crossovers. If there's a game of shinny, join in. It's great for passing, skating with your head up, and stickhandling. Get 20-30 pucks and shoot at an empty net for an hour. Just make a list of what you need to improve and practice.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:52 PM
tomsteve

well, i know we are having a warm spell here in michigan that is making outdoor rinks nasty, but once the temps get down again, maybe find an outdoor rink in the area to go practice on and work on conditioning. or, build a rink in your yard, if possible!! get the youngen started early!!

also, this site has some good drills to practice.

http://howtohockey.com/.

i like the user name!! datsyuk rocks!

Last edited by tomsteve: 12-30-2010 at 06:08 PM.
tomsteve is offline   Reply With Quote