HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price is wearing out his Knees

Old
01-04-2011, 09:54 AM
CanadienErrant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
I wouldn't be against giving Auld 4-5 consecutive starts to recharge Price's batteries for the second half.
Way too much for a backup like Auld.

But I would give him 3 (not consecutive) of the next 10 games in January.

Maybe Leighton would be a better solution ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Not this season he isn't, quite the opposite in fact: every time he touches the puck, he turns it over or makes a lazy/dumb pass. I have no idea what is up with this.
Really? I must be watching a different Price because 95% of the time I see him handle it it's either on his teammates' tape or off the glass and out.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Really? I must be watching a different Price because 95% of the time I see him handle it it's either on his teammates' tape or off the glass and out.
I have no idea what you are watching then, because what I see is Price time and time again gifting the puck to the opposing team either by passing it to a teammate in an awkward position or weakly attempting to clear it off the glass. I'm not the only one to have noticed this.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:43 AM
AGalchenyuk27

Quote:
I have no idea what you are watching then, because what I see is Price time and time again gifting the puck to the opposing team either by passing it to a teammate in an awkward position or weakly attempting to clear it off the glass. I'm not the only one to have noticed this.
He's been bad/unlucky at handling the puck lately but it's a devastating weapon to have a goalie like Carey who can handle the puck. It breaks up the opponents forechecking big time. Also remember how terrible Halak, Huet, Theo were at playing the puck. I cringed and screamed "get back in your net!" at least twice a game with them.

Every puck moving goalie will make a mistake or two. Nobody ever finishes the year with 0 turnovers. Im just glad we have a goalie capable of playing the puck at the level he does.

AGalchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:43 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Way too much for a backup like Auld.

But I would give him 3 (not consecutive) of the next 10 games in January.

Maybe Leighton would be a better solution ?
Leighton is a horrible solution, we haven't even given Auld a chance yet.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:53 AM
FrankMTL

Price is in a bit of a slump at the moment, but that happens to every player. Its a long season and everybody has ups and downs. He'll bounce back in no time..people should stop panicking about everything.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Lucius

I don't think anyone will say Price has been playing well lately, including Price.

I think this is what happens when you overuse him as Martin has. He's clearly a top talent, but no goalie in the modern NHL can play this many games and not get worn down.

Auld has been perfectly good in net, and needs to play 2 of 10 games no matter what. In fact, I'd go further, and do what the Flyers brilliantly didn't with the Bob. Shut down Price for a week, let him rest. They saw the Bob slumping, they gave Boucher three starts in a row, and then brought the Bob back, who was as good as new.

Price has been overused and this is what happens. Auld can hold the fort for a week while he rests up. And given this is MTL, Martin also needs to be clear with Price and the media that this is what he is doing.

If Price has seemed like he's "down more" than he did earlier this year, my first and only guess would be fatigue. Staying down a moment longer, not bouncing back to his feet as fast... that's what tired goalies do.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:13 AM
phoque taupe

vCash: 152
Is the mid-season funk a pattern for Price?
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eric-...Price/82/32621

Saying that the slump was his fault, would be stupid, but his play level decreased. Too many games? Normal down after such a high in octobre/november?

A mix of both probably, nobody can keep up ,932

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:33 AM
PlayMistyForMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Don't start blaming Price, this is the stupidest thread here if it gets to this.

This team is not scoring, and we can't win 1-0 and 2-1 every game.
I don't think anybody is saying that Price is the sole reason we are not winning anymore. But, like the rest of the team, Price is not playing as effectively as he was in the beginning of the season. The team is not scoring, true, but Price is not making saves he routinely was making in the first 10 weeks of the season.

You are stating that we can't win every game 1-0 and 2-1, but the fact is that Price is averaging in his last 10 games a 3.50 GAA and a 0.859 save %, going 2-7-1 in the process. Your statement should really read "we can't win every game 5-4".

Price only saw 30 shots or more in the first three games of that 10 game skid, so we can't say that the D is collapsing and he is getting bombarded with shots. This is subjective, but I don't think Price is seeing more quality shots than he was in the first 30 games of the season. Statistically speaking, he was a top 5 goalie in almost all categories for 30 games, and in his last 10 games, he is one of the worst goalies in the NHL.

So the question is : "What is the reason for this about face?". Is it because he is doing something technically wrong? Is he tired because he has played too many games? Or is it that his team is just not playing well in front of him?

PlayMistyForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:45 AM
PlayMistyForMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawktop View Post

Saying that the slump was his fault, would be stupid, but his play level decreased. Too many games? Normal down after such a high in octobre/november?

Well, Thomas and Pavelec are keeping up with their .930 + save percentage this year. Several goalies have maintained a .930 average over the course of the whole season : Rask, Thomas, Miller, Luongo, Turco and many more.

PlayMistyForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:47 AM
TankEller*

He's ****ing exhausted. And that was predictable. You could see it coming miles around, and those who didn't were just lying to themselves. NO goalie should play that much, especially not on a team which is nothing more than average like Montreal is.

I called it a month ago, and once again was told I was being negative and that I should get laid.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Joe Black

Price won't ever wear out his knees he has a "hybrid style" a bit of P.Roy ,Dominic Hazak and Roggie Vachon ;-) the kid is adapting his style game after game . Not easy with all the "dead wood " at the Habs blue line !

Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
MicroFracture

I really love when wannabe goalie experts invade forums with their groundbreaking analysis:

''HE'S ALWAYS ON HIS KNEES''

''THE BOOK IS OUT : SHOOT GLOVE SIDE''

MicroFracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Mayber get yourself a few game tapes and look more closely because you are taking a couple of examples over a large pool of data and making a big deal out of it. I can't think of a goal caused directly by Price's puckhandling this year...and I'm sure he's saved a ton my helping out the defense and moving it up, not to mention all the hits those d-men don't have to absorb on the forecheck. Did you watch the Canada-US game last night? Notice the huge difference from Visentin's puckhandling to Bellavance-Roy's? that's the difference between Price and a lot of NHL goalies...

Old
01-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawktop View Post

I think he was overplayed, starting 19 of 20 wore him down.

The goalies that keep up a .930% get a break once every 7-10 days, it's like working 7 days a week, you can do it for awhile but evenyually you get run down.

Old
01-04-2011, 03:56 PM
MicroFracture

IA, Price is a very good puck handler. He's made some poor decisions in the last few games but it's ridiculous to affirm that his puck handling is a nuisance to the team.

MicroFracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
IA, Price is a very good puck handler. He's made some poor decisions in the last few games but it's ridiculous to affirm that his puck handling is a nuisance to the team.
Agreed 100%. He has amazing skill with the puck. Maybe he's made a few poor decisions, but that's certainly not insurmountable. The skill is there. I remember last year he made tape to tape passes many times on the power play or during line changes, hitting forwards going into the offensive zone. Kind of surprised this is being brought up as a weakness since this is clearly a strength!

His weakness is lapses in concentration, probably from fatigue. He needs to find a way of being consistent.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 08:21 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You must be living on another planet because Price is one of the top puckhandling NHL goalies. It's one of his strengths.
No it's actually by far one of his biggest weaknesses and actually since the NHL level always has been. People are just blinded by their fanboyism of the kid. I don't blame you he's going to be a superstar and I love Price too. But honestly to say he's one of the best puck handling goalies in the NHL especially after this and last season is at best deluding yourself.

Again really not trying to be mean but if I had all of his games on my PC I could with ease make a compilation of him blundering the puck.

Plus last I checked getting the puck and repeatedly passing it to the guy covered by 3 guys or the other teams forward doesn't make you a good puck handler, which before he was mishandling the puck behind the net etc he was always doing that and even as a Price fan it's always gotten under my skin a bit.

I watch the games and I won't lie and say I saw him play a lot prior to the NHL level but at the NHL level he has never even been top 10 at puck handling, not even in his rookie season let alone now where he's a bottom 5-10 out of the top 30 goalies for puck handling skills.

I'm really not trying to be mean but it's just something I've noticed since day one, people saying he's a great puck handler when clearly he isn't. I like the guy and I see it so I don't get why all these other fans are so blinded and in awe of Price. Sure he's going to be a great goalie and maybe even go down in the HHF. That doesn't mean you need to be deluded and make claims that aren't true and tell yourself he's good at puck handling when clearly he isn't. Heck the Melanson years I remember him being even worse and back then people were even saying he handles the puck well.

Just because you handle the puck often doesn't mean you handle it well. I've seen numerous times where Hammer or Gorges or somebody could've easily picked up the puck had he left it behind the net but he plays the puck to somebody whose covered or ****s up playing the puck entirely. More often the former than the latter but still it's pretty obvious that 9/10 times when you see your goalie play the puck and it winds up onto the other teams stick that he isn't good at playing the puck and I'm a Price supporter but come on like I said bordering on delusional if you think he's a top 5 puck handler in the league. If you think he's middle of the pack fair enough I can accept that even though in reality he's not even better than some backups at it.

Usually I totally agree with many of your posts dude and I love Price and all but get off his dick he makes mistakes playing the puck and everyone knows it.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 08:24 AM
JayBee*

Price is awful with the puck....if you can't see that, you're either dumb, or a fanboy. Harsh, but I don't understand how people can say he's near the top of the league.

He's way too non-chalant. Almost as if he doesn't even communicate with his d-men. He tends to come out of the net when he shouldn't. He also passes the puck to guys who are covered...and slowly saunters back to his net.

The skill is there...he just needs to focus more.

Bouchard lost his mind last game talking about it.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 08:27 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunka Gurndeep View Post
He's been bad/unlucky at handling the puck lately but it's a devastating weapon to have a goalie like Carey who can handle the puck. It breaks up the opponents forechecking big time. Also remember how terrible Halak, Huet, Theo were at playing the puck. I cringed and screamed "get back in your net!" at least twice a game with them.

Every puck moving goalie will make a mistake or two. Nobody ever finishes the year with 0 turnovers. Im just glad we have a goalie capable of playing the puck at the level he does.
I agree with these comments regarding Halak Huet and Theo and I always thought it was a Melanson thing. But to be honest I never found Price was good at managing the puck unless it was to keep it out of the net. Neither was Halak and I expected it had something to do with the coaching.

Now I'm not so sure but regardless he's never been that great at playing the puck at the NHL level. Heck this year when he was playing well a big part of it was that he was playing the puck better but as soon as he lost a few games it's like he lost all confidence in his puck handling skills and reverted back to moving the puck to Gill while he's covered by 2 guys while Gorges is standing right there clearly able to take the puck and move it up ice.

I know how fast things happen on the ice so I don't really blame Price as it's a lot faster than it seems, decision making needs to be lightning fast, so it isn't like I'm blaming him but it's definitely something he has to work on as he clearly has had trouble with playing the puck as all of our goalies have in recent years.

I don't disagree though that our previous goalies all struggled in this area but to turn the blind eye to Price doing it when clearly he is having trouble with it is silly to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankEller View Post
He's ****ing exhausted. And that was predictable. You could see it coming miles around, and those who didn't were just lying to themselves. NO goalie should play that much, especially not on a team which is nothing more than average like Montreal is.

I called it a month ago, and once again was told I was being negative and that I should get laid.
And once again you still probably do need to stop being negative and get laid

You were right though he's clearly tired but hey the entire team has been playing like **** too.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
No it's actually by far one of his biggest weaknesses and actually since the NHL level always has been. People are just blinded by their fanboyism of the kid. I don't blame you he's going to be a superstar and I love Price too. But honestly to say he's one of the best puck handling goalies in the NHL especially after this and last season is at best deluding yourself.

Again really not trying to be mean but if I had all of his games on my PC I could with ease make a compilation of him blundering the puck.

Plus last I checked getting the puck and repeatedly passing it to the guy covered by 3 guys or the other teams forward doesn't make you a good puck handler, which before he was mishandling the puck behind the net etc he was always doing that and even as a Price fan it's always gotten under my skin a bit.

I watch the games and I won't lie and say I saw him play a lot prior to the NHL level but at the NHL level he has never even been top 10 at puck handling, not even in his rookie season let alone now where he's a bottom 5-10 out of the top 30 goalies for puck handling skills.

I'm really not trying to be mean but it's just something I've noticed since day one, people saying he's a great puck handler when clearly he isn't. I like the guy and I see it so I don't get why all these other fans are so blinded and in awe of Price. Sure he's going to be a great goalie and maybe even go down in the HHF. That doesn't mean you need to be deluded and make claims that aren't true and tell yourself he's good at puck handling when clearly he isn't. Heck the Melanson years I remember him being even worse and back then people were even saying he handles the puck well.

Just because you handle the puck often doesn't mean you handle it well. I've seen numerous times where Hammer or Gorges or somebody could've easily picked up the puck had he left it behind the net but he plays the puck to somebody whose covered or ****s up playing the puck entirely. More often the former than the latter but still it's pretty obvious that 9/10 times when you see your goalie play the puck and it winds up onto the other teams stick that he isn't good at playing the puck and I'm a Price supporter but come on like I said bordering on delusional if you think he's a top 5 puck handler in the league. If you think he's middle of the pack fair enough I can accept that even though in reality he's not even better than some backups at it.

Usually I totally agree with many of your posts dude and I love Price and all but get off his dick he makes mistakes playing the puck and everyone knows it.
Not sure if you and JayB are "everybody" but you seem to think that you speak for the whole hockey world. I recall analysts that know the game(not talking blowhards like RDS or McGwire) pointing out how much his puckhandling has helped the Habs this season given Markov's injury and the lack of mobility on defense(PMD's).

If there was any truth to all the screw ups you point to don't you think a bunch of these would have led to goals? I don't recall one goal as a direct result of Price handling the puck. In terms of communication that is just more BS, a lot of times he has his back turned to the forechecker and passes it to the open side, so there HAS to be communication between him and the defense. Not sure where you come up with him passing to a guy with 3 players on him(seriously, who forechecks 3 guys on ONE d-man???). There are times when there is not an open lane or player and he has to just dump it off the glass leading to a puck battle, that's a normal part of the game.

Call me a fanboy if it turns your crank, but I have been critical of Price when it was warrnted...at 20 he wasn't ready for the #1 job(Gainey's blunder), last year he lacked the focus and work ethic leading to Halak taking the #1 job and lately he hasn't played up to potential, was weak on Sunday due to playing too many games. One thing that's definitely a strength is his puckhandling along with lateral ability and rebound control.

Old
01-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Rickkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankEller View Post

I do not recall Dryden ever getting "exhausted" like this.... and if I recall correctly(tho my memory may be off a bit) Dryden played most if not all games in a particular season.

Perhaps there are stats one could look up...

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Jigger77

What are you guys talking about?

Everyone around the league and their mothers know one of Price's strengths is puck handling. The guy has a harder shot with his goalie equipement on than probably anyone here. How many times has he cleared the puck himself on a PK or late in the game when he is playing well? It's a matter of time until he scores an empty netter.

He was a 3rd defensemen for us many times this year when he was on fire. Puck handling is the least of his worries.

But lately, along with the rest of his game, it's been a detriment more than an asset.

The problem with Price in my opinion is between the ears. Focus, concentration, being in the zone etc. Why he can't always be there I don't know. Age? Fatigue? Partying too much around Christmas? Injury? Who knows.

Last edited by Jigger77: 01-05-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:01 AM
LesCanadiens

Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
I do not recall Dryden ever getting "exhausted" like this.... and if I recall correctly(tho my memory may be off a bit) Dryden played most if not all games in a particular season.

There are a lot of goalies that played piles of games and performed brilliantly throughout a season.

What I see is not physical fatigue, I see mental dullness. Which IMO is not from too many games played....it's from simply not being able to get mentally prepared consistently throughout a season.

We've seen this show from Price before. He comes out of the gates, focused, quick, alert and sharp....and then softens-up as the season wears on. His puck handling slides along with the rest of his play.

The minute he figures out how to maintain that edge all year long, is the same minute he really becomes a great goalie.

Goalies HAVE to be consistent....just like a pitcher in baseball.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post

Dryden played on powerhouse teams, I doubt he had to be good every night for the Habs to win, sort of like Osgood and Howeard in Detroit.
Plus he was a stand up goalie and barely handled the puck so less physical stress.

Dryden's busiest year was 64/80 while Price is on pace for 74 starts.

Apples and Oranges.