HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Syvret has been recalled (returned January 8th)

Old
01-06-2011, 10:59 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1298
Danny Syvret has been recalled (returned January 8th)

Per Tim P, from the Flyers.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-08-2011 at 12:55 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
I guess they want Gustafsson to get regular minutes? Or am I missing something?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:04 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Gustafsson was demoted a couple of days ago. Syvret could replace Bartulis but that hasn't been confirmed. No word on any injuries to the blueline.

Per the Daily News:

Quote:
Flyers have re-called defenseman Danny Syvret, could play tonight vs. NJD.
Anthony at the Delco Times:

Quote:
Just to clarify- #danny syvret is not definitely in the lineup. No one is hurt. He MIGHT replace oskars bartulis though, who has been shaky.
Edit: Syvret likely to be a healthy scratch.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-06-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old
01-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Hollywood Couturier

So we now have Gustafsson, Bartulis, and Syvret up?

EDIT: Nevermind didn't know they sent Gust down.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:08 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
So we now have Gustafsson, Bartulis, and Syvret up?

EDIT: Nevermind didn't know they sent Gust down.
Yeah Gus went back. I assume Bartulis is going back down soon too if possible. Bartulis needs more experience while Syvret right now at least can contribute offensively and is more expendable.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:15 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Phantoms are at Abbotsford, BC, too, so maybe the Flyers wanted the insurance of having a player immediately available in case of emergency.

Old
01-06-2011, 11:16 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I wouldn't be against throwing Syvret in there instead of Bartulis. I always liked Syvret. Couldn't really hurt. Not like Bartulis is killing out there.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:18 AM
jb**

While doubtful, i hope he gets claimed to further hamper the cap space this year. This is a move that is just plain stupid. Especially if he doesnt play. There is no need for syvret, none at all.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:18 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
The Ol Syvret vs bartulis battle again

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:23 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
While doubtful, i hope he gets claimed to further hamper the cap space this year. This is a move that is just plain stupid. Especially if he doesnt play. There is no need for syvret, none at all.
since he was re-called on the day of a game due to potential injury reasons, it's an emergency call-up, so he doesnt have to go through re-entry waivers

great thinking though

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I wouldn't be against throwing Syvret in there instead of Bartulis. I always liked Syvret. Couldn't really hurt. Not like Bartulis is killing out there.
Yeah, I actually like both. Bartulis is playing fine right now, I think, but he does seem to crumble under pressure a bit too much, so I'm not sure whether that's something he'll improve on as years go by or something that's going to prevent him from being a defensman you can rely on. But Syvret is alright in my book. Don't know how much either of them are getting paid, so I'm only speaking from a purely how-well-they-play perspective, not are-they-worth-it one.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:41 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Syvret doesn't have to go through re-entry waivers as his AHL salary is to low to qualify for re-entry waivers.

EasyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Yeah Gus went back. I assume Bartulis is going back down soon too if possible. Bartulis needs more experience while Syvret right now at least can contribute offensively and is more expendable.
They both have to pass through waivers. Syvret I could see going down without a problem (guess he doesn't hit on re-entry, which is nice). I would be mildly surprised if someone didn't take a swing on Bartulis if he's on the waiver wire.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:46 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

What they should do is leave Bart in and pair him with Timonen. They'll be an adequate pairing, just like Timonen-Parent and Timonen-Krajicek were. The rest of the pairings will be better balanced as well...

Timonen-Bartulis
Meszaros-Carle
O'Donnell-Coburn

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:50 PM
agrudez*

I thought Syvret played VERY well last season after Lavi became the coach. His aggressive style fits the pinching ideology which Lavi wants in his dmen.

I was very surprised when he was benched in lieu of Bart and Parent last season.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

They'll need extra water for the pre-game skate. He pours about a gallon of H2O on his stick. That worked well when he didn't have a roof over his head.
I like Syvret, too. Wondered if Lavi had something to do with wanting him back (I'm sure he did, but is it documented anywhere?). The D is smaller with him in, but the next two games are against the bottom team in the East ... a team that has struggled to score and isn't known as beastly, so this is a good move.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
since he was re-called on the day of a game due to potential injury reasons, it's an emergency call-up, so he doesnt have to go through re-entry waivers

great thinking though
I realize that an emergency re-call can be done when there are not enough players to ice for a game at a particular position... are you saying that that can also be done if there are no extra players and there is a 'potential' injury?

There is always the potential of injury... I assume this is due to Kimmo. If he is able to play, he is able to play as I see it... How can they convince the NHL that they need an emergency player? Or is it as you seem to alluding to, that an extra player falls under the emergency re-call provision of the CBA.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 01-06-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:05 PM
FightingMajor

any news on when walker will be back? He is by far a better option than these guys

FightingMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:29 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingMajor View Post
any news on when walker will be back? He is by far a better option than these guys
That's roughly mid-February.

Old
01-06-2011, 03:12 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
That's roughly mid-February.
I have a feeling that Homer told Walker he can either get waived and spend the year in the AHL to get his paycheck or he can stay hurt and on LTIR for the rest of the year to get his paycheck.

Old
01-06-2011, 03:16 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I have a feeling that Homer told Walker he can either get waived and spend the year in the AHL to get his paycheck or he can stay hurt and on LTIR for the rest of the year to get his paycheck.
I find that hard to believe being that those 2 scenarios are so drastically different as it effects the Flyer's cap.

We are UNDER the cap, so having someone on LTIR does literally nothing for us. We only benefit if he is waived, and sent down.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:18 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
We are UNDER the cap, so having someone on LTIR does literally nothing for us. We only benefit if he is waived, and sent down.
If someone stays on LTIR for the rest of the year it is the same as cap space, no?

Old
01-06-2011, 03:41 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
If someone stays on LTIR for the rest of the year it is the same as cap space, no?
Not if we're not using it.

LTIR, daily cap calculations, and "banking" cap space is a really tricky topic. It's a common misconception that LTIR just "gives" you more cap space. It does not.

Without getting too into it, basically LTIR isn't good, but people tend to think it is. It's FARRRRRR better to be truly under the cap, than it is, to be forced to utilize LTIR.

If you want some more detailed explanation, check out the following thread. Myself, Jester, and phillyfanatic go back and forth a little bit with some of the finer details.

Begin with my post #349

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=860214&page=7

If you have any questions , I'll do my best to answer as best I know.

It's necessary to understand the idea of "banking" cap space. Which is essentially...the cap is calculated daily. If you are $10,000 below the cap every single day, that is $10,000 you can then spend later, which is what allows for teams to add a prorated contract later. So, looking at the yearly numbers, sometimes you'll see a team with $3 mill in cap space add a $6 million player halfway through the year. That is because they "banked" the cap space up until that point. They will still only spend 59.4 million, but will technically exceed the daily cap, in the 2nd half of the year, because they were under it the first half.

Last edited by DUHockey9: 01-06-2011 at 03:47 PM.
DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:49 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I'm surprised no has said anything yet but Syvret has a goal in every game he's played wearing the winter Classic jersey. So hopefully he plays tonight and keeps the streak alive.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I thought Syvret played VERY well last season after Lavi became the coach. His aggressive style fits the pinching ideology which Lavi wants in his dmen.

I was very surprised when he was benched in lieu of Bart and Parent last season.
Agreed. I think Syvret never got a fair shake for whatever reason. Stevens was a horrible coach and our season last year as well as NJ's season this year should prove what a horrible coach can do to a team or a player. Syvret has the tools to be a quality bottom pairing guy in Laviolette's system I think. Hope he gets a shot tonight at least.

Also, fun fact, Syvret had our only goal in the Winter Classic. So at least we can be thankful for him making sure we didn't get shutout in our first Winter Classic.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote