HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Our players in an offensive minded system

Old
12-31-2010, 03:08 AM
The Pleks Dispenser

vCash: 500
Our players in an offensive minded system

When i look at our roster now, i cant help myself but to think Guy Boucher would have been an ideal coach for this team. I can't stand the defensive boring system that we have adopted, even though it proved to be successful when we have a red hot goaltender.

I agree that at the start of the season, our defensive squad didnt seem to be able to be fit enough and more offensive system, as many of them were better stay home D rather than puckmovers (Gill Gorges Harmlik Spacek Obyrne PK were our starting 6 def). But with the recall of Weber and the acquisition of Wisnievski, it doesnt sound so bad.

As for our forwards, while many of them can play well on both sides of the rink (Plek, Gomez, Gionta), i think that as a whole, focusing on offense could help our threats to be more productive (AK, Cam, Pouliot, Eller, Maxpax) and at the same time remove some less skilled players on the side as they wouldnt fit in the system anymore (Pyatt, and no more Moen on the first line). I could see our team with 3 strong offensive lines and a nice forechecking line composed of Lapierre/Moen/Halpern/Darche.

We sure dont have the high-end elite players like Stamkos or St-Louis, but i think we would have enough depth to pull it through. Hell, Boucher is making Bergenheim and Purcell produce at a decent pace, i think we could have 3 more balanced lines.
Anyway, this thread is not about the mistake of letting

Boucher go, but more a questionning of if we should hire a offensive minded coach if we fire Martin.

The Pleks Dispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Papa Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Pevs Dispenser View Post
When i look at our roster now, i cant help myself but to think Guy Boucher would have been an ideal coach for this team. I can't stand the defensive boring system that we have adopted, even though it proved to be successful when we have a red hot goaltender.

I agree that at the start of the season, our defensive squad didnt seem to be able to be fit enough and more offensive system, as many of them were better stay home D rather than puckmovers (Gill Gorges Harmlik Spacek Obyrne PK were our starting 6 def). But with the recall of Weber and the acquisition of Wisnievski, it doesnt sound so bad.

As for our forwards, while many of them can play well on both sides of the rink (Plek, Gomez, Gionta), i think that as a whole, focusing on offense could help our threats to be more productive (AK, Cam, Pouliot, Eller, Maxpax) and at the same time remove some less skilled players on the side as they wouldnt fit in the system anymore (Pyatt, and no more Moen on the first line). I could see our team with 3 strong offensive lines and a nice forechecking line composed of Lapierre/Moen/Halpern/Darche.

We sure dont have the high-end elite players like Stamkos or St-Louis, but i think we would have enough depth to pull it through. Hell, Boucher is making Bergenheim and Purcell produce at a decent pace, i think we could have 3 more balanced lines.
Anyway, this thread is not about the mistake of letting

Boucher go, but more a questionning of if we should hire a offensive minded coach if we fire Martin.
I wholeheartedly agree with your point about a more offensive system. Particularly with the d that we have now. I hate that the excuse always comes back to us having small players. Yes we have small players, but we have very talented small players. You know who's another small talented player? Martin St. Louis. And when did he really take off as a player? When he got to play for an offensive minded coach in John Tortarella. We need to push the pace with all 5 guys on the ice, but it cannot be free-lanced. It has to be part of the system, and right now, it is not.

Remember, the Habs are the only team in the NHL to not have recorded a single point when trailing after the 1st or 2nd period. That included the Maple Leafs, the Oilers, the Islanders, and the Devils. That's not only a player issue, I'm sorry.

Papa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:33 PM
The Pleks Dispenser

Quote:
Remember, the Habs are the only team in the NHL to not have recorded a single point when trailing after the 1st or 2nd period. That included the Maple Leafs, the Oilers, the Islanders, and the Devils. That's not only a player issue, I'm sorry.
We really seem to be quitting whenever we trail... does someone have any stats regarding how much Martin cut's his bench to double-shift our most dangerous offensive players in those situations? Because all i can see is him cutting the bench to punish some players, but still sending our fourth line regularly when we desperately need a goal.

The Pleks Dispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

I've turned the page on ex-Habs, but it's enlightening to see players production in JM's system and out. Look at Lats and Sergei who started putting up numbers as soon as he recovered from his broken foot and got decent playing time...

Expect the same if Gomez, AKost ever get shipped elsewhere. Players like Cammalleri are putting up a fraction of what they would be in an offensive system...

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with your point about a more offensive system. Particularly with the d that we have now. I hate that the excuse always comes back to us having small players. Yes we have small players, but we have very talented small players. You know who's another small talented player? Martin St. Louis. And when did he really take off as a player? When he got to play for an offensive minded coach in John Tortarella. We need to push the pace with all 5 guys on the ice, but it cannot be free-lanced. It has to be part of the system, and right now, it is not.

If we're trailing after the 1st, we might as well turn the TV off.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I agree with the premice, but only for selfish reasons that might not be shared by many fans. I like being entertained when watching hockey, win or lose. This team is not very entertaining, the way it plays is generic, no nonsense, predictable type hockey. We play the percentages and rely on perfect positioning. We are thriving to be what the Devils were a few seasons ago (and yes, I mean the ones who won it all in the end).

That's all fine and might bring the ultimate victory in the end, but I surpise myself now, more and more, whenever I watch an other game in the league, to see how I miss creativity and unpredictability, which is more present in many of the other teams around the league. I felt this way when we won too BTW. So in other words, I don't like Martin's philosophy, but I don't question his competence. If all that matters is winning, he should be kept in place because really, there's no better hockey mind available at the moment.

Hopefully we'll cross path again with Boucher, somewhere along the road.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:56 PM
JayBee*

That's the thing...we could trade for anyone we want...that won't make a difference if we're employing the same defensive system. We have enough offensive guys to have 3 scoring lines.

The system is the biggest problem.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:58 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
That's the thing...we could trade for anyone we want...that won't make a difference if we're employing the same defensive system. We have enough offensive guys to have 3 scoring lines.

The system is the biggest problem.
we barely have enough for two... unless you mean ****** offensive lines that is.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:04 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
we barely have enough for two... unless you mean ****** offensive lines that is.
Well, we know what these players are capable of

Gomez
Gionta
MaxP
Eller
Cammy
Pleks
Pouillot
AK
Desharnais

We could have 3 offensive lines no prob. What I hate is trying to turn offensively gifted players into 2 way guys. **** that ****.

Old
12-31-2010, 02:11 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Well, we know what these players are capable of

Gomez -> 65 pts player at best
Gionta -> 65 pts player at best
MaxP -> rookie
Eller -> rookie
Cammy
Pleks
Pouillot -> have yet to pan out
AK -> 55 pts player at best
Desharnais -> have yet to play a regular season NHL game

We could have 3 offensive lines no prob. What I hate is trying to turn offensively gifted players into 2 way guys. **** that ****.
yup, 3 ****** offensive lines...

Old
12-31-2010, 02:34 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
yup, 3 ****** offensive lines...
Don't be stupid. I talked about capabilities.

Gomez - Gomez is a proven performer, we know what he's capable of
Gionta - Gionta has scored 40+ goals before and last year scored over 30 including playoffs
MaxP - 1st rounder, lit it up in the AHL. He has talent
Eller - 1st rounder, we've seen what he can do. He has talent
Cammy - 40 goal guy
Pleks - 20+ goal guaranteed and a playmaker
Pouillot - Scored at an amazing clip when he got here last year. So he's capable of putting up 20+
AK - 25+ goal guy, he sucks but we know his talent
Desharnais - Has excelled everywhere he's played.

The talent is there, will they realize that talent? Some have, some probably won't. They deff won't do jack with this stupid system. We need to put our players in a position to be successful. Run and gun!

Old
12-31-2010, 02:37 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Don't be stupid. I talked about capabilities.

Gomez - Gomez is a proven performer, we know what he's capable of
Gionta - Gionta has scored 40+ goals before and last year scored over 30 including playoffs
MaxP - 1st rounder, lit it up in the AHL. He has talent
Eller - 1st rounder, we've seen what he can do. He has talent
Cammy - 40 goal guy
Pleks - 20+ goal guaranteed and a playmaker
Pouillot - Scored at an amazing clip when he got here last year. So he's capable of putting up 20+
AK - 25+ goal guy, he sucks but we know his talent
Desharnais - Has excelled everywhere he's played.

The talent is there, will they realize that talent? Some have, some probably won't. They deff won't do jack with this stupid system. We need to put our players in a position to be successful. Run and gun!
coming from you, I take this as a compliment.

Old
12-31-2010, 03:35 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
coming from you, I take this as a compliment.