HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Captain?

View Poll Results: Who will be the next Captain after Chris Drury is gone?
Ryan Callahan 148 71.15%
Brandon Dubinsky 42 20.19%
Marc Staal 8 3.85%
Other 10 4.81%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2011, 10:58 AM
  #76
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
Cally. Duby gets the A. I voted Duby though because that's what I want to see.

WheresBarnaby is offline  
Old
01-04-2011, 11:04 AM
  #77
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,521
vCash: 500
Callahan. I am honestly hoping Boyle gets the other 'A' and he is around for a long time. Everyone talks about him being a leader and taking the younger players under his wing(MDZ and MZA).

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-04-2011, 12:50 PM
  #78
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm making this a poll.

I have a feeling it will be Dubinsky. Callahan and Staal the obvious choices to wear the A. Possibly Girardi.
Why would Dubinsky go right to Captain when Callahan was made Alternate over Dubinsky? I don't see the logic.

KreiMeARiver* is offline  
Old
01-04-2011, 01:37 PM
  #79
manifesty
Registered User
 
manifesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Callahan. I am honestly hoping Boyle gets the other 'A' and he is around for a long time. Everyone talks about him being a leader and taking the younger players under his wing(MDZ and MZA).
Agreed. As much as dubi deserves an 'A', Boyle has shown strong leadership there. And Callahan should get the 'C', though I wouldn't be too surprised if Staal gets it instead.

manifesty is offline  
Old
01-04-2011, 01:51 PM
  #80
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING
 
Carl Hagelins Flow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Cally's the best interview on the team- he's more articulate than everyone except maybe EC who's ridiculously deliberate in what he says.
Cally isn't very articulate. He says what any player would say, perhaps with more candidness than the average guy, but he says the right things to the media. EC is probably the only guy on the team I would say is very articulate and ELOQUENT -- probably one of the smarter guys if anything -- he actually has a vocabulary. But Dubinsky tends to speak his mind and say more than what the average guy would say.

Not knocking Callahan, just pointing out something I think is different in Dubi. And don't get me wrong either, I think Cally is one of the best things to happen to the Rangers but that doesn't mean he should also be captain automatically. Alternate captain, yes, but not necessarily captain.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline  
Old
01-04-2011, 03:29 PM
  #81
Cermi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 996
vCash: 500
As I said earlier, Cally, Step or maybe Dubi will get it, but I'd love to see Marc Staal with a C on his jersey. Not counting Henrik and Gabby he's our best player and he's getting better and gaining more confidence every season.

Cermi is offline  
Old
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
  #82
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Why would Dubinsky go right to Captain when Callahan was made Alternate over Dubinsky? I don't see the logic.
People knock Drury's cred as captain because he's not skilled enough, and now we want Callahan as captain? Dubinsky works hard too, plays D, sticks up for his teammates more than Callahan and actually has very good skill. You want your captain to be the epitome of what you want your hockey team to be and I'd take a team of Dubinskys over a team of Callahans. Callahan is a good role player, but he can't really be the go to guy.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
01-04-2011, 04:55 PM
  #83
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
People knock Drury's cred as captain because he's not skilled enough, and now we want Callahan as captain? Dubinsky works hard too, plays D, sticks up for his teammates more than Callahan and actually has very good skill. You want your captain to be the epitome of what you want your hockey team to be and I'd take a team of Dubinskys over a team of Callahans. Callahan is a good role player, but he can't really be the go to guy.
he was basically on pace for a 60 point season before he got hurt while playing as an elite penalty killer, a great shot blocker, the league leader in hitting, and playing an agitating type role. hes plenty skilled enough. my problem with drury is aside from blocking shots and taking faceoffs he does almost nothing noteworthy at all. i hardly even notice him out there on most nights.

Inferno is offline  
Old
01-04-2011, 06:07 PM
  #84
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
he was basically on pace for a 60 point season before he got hurt while playing as an elite penalty killer, a great shot blocker, the league leader in hitting, and playing an agitating type role. hes plenty skilled enough. my problem with drury is aside from blocking shots and taking faceoffs he does almost nothing noteworthy at all. i hardly even notice him out there on most nights.
After seeing his offensive numbers take a slight, really very slight, dip last year from the year before until he actually shows he can keep at a pace like that I'm inclined to believe he's an 18-23 goal a year scorer. Dubi is on pace for 32 this year. It might seem unfair to not count Callahan's extrapolated numbers this year while taking Dubi's but just in watching the two, Dubi plays a more skilled game. The guy has much better hands. If you look at both their total shots and shooting percentages this year and the previous couple, you'd see those back up my conclusions. Callahan throws a lot more on net for less, Dubi scores at a higher rate.

To be fair with Drury he really doesn't see the minutes or situations that would allow for him to have a larger impact. The guy is seeing fourth line time, little if any PP time. And that's not the wrong call, it's just he's doing all that being asked of him. We're going with the youth, and that means Drury's role has to be somewhat marginal. I still actually like him as the C now, despite what I'd typically look for in it because every guy that has ever played with him has said he's a great leader. That really at the end of the day is what you want.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
01-06-2011, 01:11 AM
  #85
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,108
vCash: 500
I unfortunately don't get a chance to go out to enough games to really know how much this means if anything really at all, but Dubinsky did lead warmups tonight. I thought it was interesting with Drury there and Staal wearing the A that Dubi would be the guy to lead warmups, but he was leading in the only part that really seemed to be organized. He was rushing in on the goalie with two guys, would pass it to one then collect the rebound go skate back to the blueline and start the next rush with new guys.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
01-06-2011, 09:03 AM
  #86
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
I unfortunately don't get a chance to go out to enough games to really know how much this means if anything really at all, but Dubinsky did lead warmups tonight. I thought it was interesting with Drury there and Staal wearing the A that Dubi would be the guy to lead warmups, but he was leading in the only part that really seemed to be organized. He was rushing in on the goalie with two guys, would pass it to one then collect the rebound go skate back to the blueline and start the next rush with new guys.
Ill go you one better (& this isn't me saying he will be the next C but it's the kinda thing that shows his leadership)... Was watching VS this am and their recap show... They went back during their analysis to show Dubi NOT celebrate the OT winner, and let's be honest... His rush, his moves, taking it hard to the net... created the whole thing, because he was busy getting the puck so that Zucc could keep his 1st NHL goal puck. They said "Look!!! He's the LAST one to the pile to celebrate!"

THAT is leadership.

Again, I haven't voted because I'm fine with Cally, Dubi, even Stepan being the next C... I'm just ecstatic that we can have this debate

Love this YOUNG team!

Riche16 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.