HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Captain?

View Poll Results: Who will be the next Captain after Chris Drury is gone?
Ryan Callahan 148 71.15%
Brandon Dubinsky 42 20.19%
Marc Staal 8 3.85%
Other 10 4.81%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2011, 10:58 AM
WheresBarnaby

vCash: 500
Cally. Duby gets the A. I voted Duby though because that's what I want to see.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:04 AM
NYR Viper

Callahan. I am honestly hoping Boyle gets the other 'A' and he is around for a long time. Everyone talks about him being a leader and taking the younger players under his wing(MDZ and MZA).

Old
01-04-2011, 12:50 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm making this a poll.

I have a feeling it will be Dubinsky. Callahan and Staal the obvious choices to wear the A. Possibly Girardi.
Why would Dubinsky go right to Captain when Callahan was made Alternate over Dubinsky? I don't see the logic.

Old
01-04-2011, 01:37 PM
manifesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Callahan. I am honestly hoping Boyle gets the other 'A' and he is around for a long time. Everyone talks about him being a leader and taking the younger players under his wing(MDZ and MZA).
Agreed. As much as dubi deserves an 'A', Boyle has shown strong leadership there. And Callahan should get the 'C', though I wouldn't be too surprised if Staal gets it instead.

Old
01-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Cally's the best interview on the team- he's more articulate than everyone except maybe EC who's ridiculously deliberate in what he says.
Cally isn't very articulate. He says what any player would say, perhaps with more candidness than the average guy, but he says the right things to the media. EC is probably the only guy on the team I would say is very articulate and ELOQUENT -- probably one of the smarter guys if anything -- he actually has a vocabulary. But Dubinsky tends to speak his mind and say more than what the average guy would say.

Not knocking Callahan, just pointing out something I think is different in Dubi. And don't get me wrong either, I think Cally is one of the best things to happen to the Rangers but that doesn't mean he should also be captain automatically. Alternate captain, yes, but not necessarily captain.

Old
01-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Cermi

As I said earlier, Cally, Step or maybe Dubi will get it, but I'd love to see Marc Staal with a C on his jersey. Not counting Henrik and Gabby he's our best player and he's getting better and gaining more confidence every season.

Old
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Why would Dubinsky go right to Captain when Callahan was made Alternate over Dubinsky? I don't see the logic.
People knock Drury's cred as captain because he's not skilled enough, and now we want Callahan as captain? Dubinsky works hard too, plays D, sticks up for his teammates more than Callahan and actually has very good skill. You want your captain to be the epitome of what you want your hockey team to be and I'd take a team of Dubinskys over a team of Callahans. Callahan is a good role player, but he can't really be the go to guy.

Old
01-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
People knock Drury's cred as captain because he's not skilled enough, and now we want Callahan as captain? Dubinsky works hard too, plays D, sticks up for his teammates more than Callahan and actually has very good skill. You want your captain to be the epitome of what you want your hockey team to be and I'd take a team of Dubinskys over a team of Callahans. Callahan is a good role player, but he can't really be the go to guy.
he was basically on pace for a 60 point season before he got hurt while playing as an elite penalty killer, a great shot blocker, the league leader in hitting, and playing an agitating type role. hes plenty skilled enough. my problem with drury is aside from blocking shots and taking faceoffs he does almost nothing noteworthy at all. i hardly even notice him out there on most nights.

Old
01-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
he was basically on pace for a 60 point season before he got hurt while playing as an elite penalty killer, a great shot blocker, the league leader in hitting, and playing an agitating type role. hes plenty skilled enough. my problem with drury is aside from blocking shots and taking faceoffs he does almost nothing noteworthy at all. i hardly even notice him out there on most nights.
After seeing his offensive numbers take a slight, really very slight, dip last year from the year before until he actually shows he can keep at a pace like that I'm inclined to believe he's an 18-23 goal a year scorer. Dubi is on pace for 32 this year. It might seem unfair to not count Callahan's extrapolated numbers this year while taking Dubi's but just in watching the two, Dubi plays a more skilled game. The guy has much better hands. If you look at both their total shots and shooting percentages this year and the previous couple, you'd see those back up my conclusions. Callahan throws a lot more on net for less, Dubi scores at a higher rate.

To be fair with Drury he really doesn't see the minutes or situations that would allow for him to have a larger impact. The guy is seeing fourth line time, little if any PP time. And that's not the wrong call, it's just he's doing all that being asked of him. We're going with the youth, and that means Drury's role has to be somewhat marginal. I still actually like him as the C now, despite what I'd typically look for in it because every guy that has ever played with him has said he's a great leader. That really at the end of the day is what you want.

Old
01-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Kel Varnsen

I unfortunately don't get a chance to go out to enough games to really know how much this means if anything really at all, but Dubinsky did lead warmups tonight. I thought it was interesting with Drury there and Staal wearing the A that Dubi would be the guy to lead warmups, but he was leading in the only part that really seemed to be organized. He was rushing in on the goalie with two guys, would pass it to one then collect the rebound go skate back to the blueline and start the next rush with new guys.

Old
01-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
I unfortunately don't get a chance to go out to enough games to really know how much this means if anything really at all, but Dubinsky did lead warmups tonight. I thought it was interesting with Drury there and Staal wearing the A that Dubi would be the guy to lead warmups, but he was leading in the only part that really seemed to be organized. He was rushing in on the goalie with two guys, would pass it to one then collect the rebound go skate back to the blueline and start the next rush with new guys.
Ill go you one better (& this isn't me saying he will be the next C but it's the kinda thing that shows his leadership)... Was watching VS this am and their recap show... They went back during their analysis to show Dubi NOT celebrate the OT winner, and let's be honest... His rush, his moves, taking it hard to the net... created the whole thing, because he was busy getting the puck so that Zucc could keep his 1st NHL goal puck. They said "Look!!! He's the LAST one to the pile to celebrate!"

THAT is leadership.

Again, I haven't voted because I'm fine with Cally, Dubi, even Stepan being the next C... I'm just ecstatic that we can have this debate

Love this YOUNG team!

Closed Thread