HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lapierre traded to Anaheim for D-Brett Festerling & a 5th round pick

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I have mixed feelings. I didn't like the value on the Ribeiro trade but I was happy to see him gone, I feel the same way for Lappy. I would have thought we could have gotten a little more for Lappy but in the end I'm glad to see him go. I love players that work hard, but his anticts wore thin with me.
Isssh! I don't know that I like the comparison Ribeiro/Lapierre on many, many points. First talent, and then attitude, with Ribeiro leading in both categories by a wide margin.

Old
01-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I never said that he was intimidating. Just between people putting on spectacles sitting in front of an HD screen, haters or rose glasses aside, can you say that the team got tougher or softer with this trade?
You'll never see me disagree that we have a soft team -- we do. But in dealing Lapierre we lost what was a marginally 'tough' player with a bunch of other issues that, taken together, just killed the overall package and made him a negative contributor, IMO.

To me he was the bottom-6 version of Kovalev: the upside is not worth the painful gaps in effort or involvement.

And yes, even in losing his marginal toughness the team certainly got softer in theory if they replace him with no one. If Ryan White leads the team in hits from this point on this season, is all of this forgotten?

Quote:
What's the excuse for the others with more ice time then? You're right. Can't explain as there is no explanations to be found. That's right. He led the team in hits (34 more than Kostitsyn, 2nd) because he simply gave more bodychecks than anyone and that, with only 11 minutes a game of ice time.
The fact that Andrei Kostitsyn was second on our team in hits behind only Lapierre (again) speaks more sadly to our team's lack of this type of element.

It also demonstrates what a subjective statistical category something like measuring hits will be. He is not, in my estimation, an effective hitter, at least not on any consistent basis. There obviously a reason why pro scouts go and watch a ton of games instead of just reviewing a stat sheet, making their draft rankings accordingly and then high-fiving over Martinis.

A more telling stat that I would be interested in would be something like: how much percentage of a player's time of ice at 5-on-5 is spent defending in your own zone, what percentage of a player's turnover's lead to odd-man rushes/penalties against/scoring chances against. I'm sure Laps is at the top of the charts on that stuff, too.

Quote:
I've read that he wanted PK time, not PP, that he got upset to see Cammalleri getting the PK time.
Dunno, maybe. I heard PP but maybe I misheard.

Quote:
I'm certainly not going to enter a pissing war. On an English speaking forum, I was fully expecting the reaction that I'm reading (in general of course).
I don't know what the purpose of this section of the post is.

Quote:
Peace.
Happy New Year.

Old
01-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Why there is so much being discussed on a dime a dozen 4th liner boggles my mind!

The guy didn't and doesn't have the tools to be an agitator in the league. Sure he tries to get under the skin of players, but he doesn't. Unlike Avery, Ott and a couple others in the league he cannot score or play a regular shift in the top 9 players at forward. He isn't an intimidating presence on the ice when it comes to hitting and he can't fight at all, and more times than not hides from it.

He like Latendresse felt he was owed something by the Habs because he is a French Quebec player, but to get that much deserved ice-time he didn't show why he deserved. I am sick and tired of players like him and Lats always complaining, but for some reason you never saw them in the press box like Subban, Pouliot and others!

Glad he is gone, now it allows more cap space and also gives AHL kids like Double-D to come up and play.
It shouldn't. This happens every time a player with a "cult" following is either traded or released, and you've seen it how many times now?

Habs had to convince someone to take him; that's what his worth was. I can't say I'm glad he's gone. I think he's worth more to the team than his value in a trade (and certainly more than Festerling and a 5th, although Festerling might not end up as worthless as some expect) - when he's on his game as a skilled energy guy on the 4th line, that is. Will undoubtedly blossom a little if given more freedom to dictate his style of play, but I won't miss him in the least. If this results in Boyd getting a fair shake in his place, I'll be happy (whether he fails or not, we acquired the guy and still haven't really given him a chance to provide anything except keeping the waiver wires warm).

Old
01-01-2011, 01:17 PM
The Right Price

Good riddance. Lapierre was bringing nothing to the table IMO. And while the value we got in the trade might seem bad, we don't know who we will draft with that pick, so in hindsight it's worth the gamble.

Glad that DD, DB and White are one step closer to the team because of this.

PG

Old
01-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Tusk

For people laughing at how many posts there have been about Lapierre it's because there are some mixed emotions due to how much he teased us with his potential. One of the lone bright spots in '08-'09 only to stink last year but follow it up with a decent playoff. His up and downess was maddening.

There was a thread at the beginning of the season asking how would you rate him and I suggested you couldn't rate him yet, implying that who knew which frigging Lapierre we were gonna see. He brought some intangibles not many other Habs had so it was interesting to keep him but on the flipside there were obvious negative traits too, he'd have mini streaks with some nice goals but when he couldn't score his puck hogging nulified any offensive breakouts he got with anybody.

Also, he just couldn't seem to hurt anybody no matter how hard he hit. His physical game was so overrated. Couple that with his antics and you just get another frustrating side to him as a player. At this point I'm thinking all he can do is skate.

Old
01-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
You'll never see me disagree that we have a soft team -- we do. But in dealing Lapierre we lost what was a marginally 'tough' player with a bunch of other issues that, taken together, just killed the overall package and made him a negative contributor, IMO.

To me he was the bottom-6 version of Kovalev: the upside is not worth the painful gaps in effort or involvement.

And yes, even in losing his marginal toughness the team certainly got softer in theory if they replace him with no one. If Ryan White leads the team in hits from this point on this season, is all of this forgotten?
While I do believe that the call-up is more of a tactical move* than a permanent one, David Desharnais is seemingly taking Lapierre's spot in the line-up. Without getting into the pros and cons of both players, let's just agree that he's not going to replace the physical element lost in that trade.

* By tactical move, I mean that they've called up a French Canadian in an attempt to lower the impact of another French Canadian leaving, at least temporarily. While Desharnais may play a game or two in a more offensive role (time will tell), I have the suspicion that he will be back on the 3-4th line, then sent back under the pretext that he was not producing and needs some "seasoning" in Hamilton, when the wave of patriotism is passed, as he can't fill Lapierre's role.

Old
01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Subban76

Quote:
While I do believe that the call-up is more of a tactical move* then a permanent one, David Desharnais is seemingly taking Lapierre's spot in the line-up. Without getting into the pros and cons of both players, let's just agree that he's not going to replace the physical element lost in that trade.

* By tactical move, I mean that they've called up a French Canadian in an attempt to lower the impact of another French Canadian leaving, at least temporarily. While Desharnais may play a game or two in a more offensive role (time will tell), I have the suspicion that he will be back on the 3-4th line, then sent back under the pretext that he was not producing and needs some "seasoning" in Hamilton, when the wave of patriotism is passed, as he can't fill Lapierre's role.
And some people live in this paralel universe filed of illusions, paranoia and conspiracies.

Boggles me how far some people can twist things as simple as player A was called up and player B was traded. How many things does PG have to do to prove that he does not care about the french factor, and with could reasons!

Old
01-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Windymind

Lapierre's trade hiding another one?

Lapierre for F(nobody) + 5th round pick makes no sense.

It's a great show of respect for Lapierre: fast transaction with great time to have more ice time and show his value for further transactions. Lapierre has always had class and Gauthier showed great generosity to Lapierre in this transaction. Like the transactions with St-Louis Blues last year, this transaction could be the first one of a second part.

Could the Duck trade us a top 6 winger for Pouliot (or else) and round picks?

Old
01-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windymind View Post
Lapierre for F(nobody) + 5th round pick makes no sense.

It's a great show of respect for Lapierre: fast transaction with great time to have more ice time and show his value for further transactions. Lapierre has always had class and Gauthier showed great generosity to Lapierre in this transaction. Like the transactions with St-Louis Blues last year, this transaction could be the first one of a second part.

Could the Duck trade us a top 6 winger for Pouliot (or else) and round picks?
I stopped reading when you suggested we owed Lapierre some respect and "generosity".

Old
01-01-2011, 01:40 PM
shutehinside

I doubt it. If the habs were gonna get a top 6 guy from Anaheim then they would have done it. It expect to get a top 6 player later on though, just probably not from the Ducks.

Old
01-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Windymind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I stopped reading when you suggested we owed Lapierre some respect and "generosity".
They traded him under his request. This is not a trade that advantages CH. They could have waited and get much more for him.

Old
01-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Clears a roster spot for DD once Gorges is healthy. We're at 24 bodies. So they could either send Weber, Subban, or Picard to Hamilton (still probably gonna happen) or make a trade. Plus both Lapierre asked for a trade, and shedding his salary now will give us more money to play with at the deadline if needed.

I don't think anything else is coming anytime soon. Two trades in one week is plenty.

Old
01-01-2011, 01:45 PM
googlymoogly

I still can't believe Lapierre would draw this much attention. It seems fans are more depressed losing him than when they were complaining that Plekanec got too much money. If PG would of taken his time maybe he could of swapped Lappy with another 4th line grinder but maybe the issue is they don't want that player. A few guys in the AHL seem to have reached the level where they need to be given their chance. If the farm kids don't work PG can pick off some guy on waivers that can fill in for Lappy, Pyatt has already replaced him defensively.
This was a dump and it was better than what happened with Laraque who we couldn't dump at least we got something for him. We could even call back Boyd at least he was hustling but I don't think he would clear waivers this time, Nashville would probably grab him.

Old
01-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
And some people live in this paralel universe filed of illusions, paranoia and conspiracies.

Boggles me how far some people can twist things as simple as player A was called up and player B was traded. How many things does PG have to do to prove that he does not care about the french factor, and with could reasons!
How about I mark this post and come back in a couple of weeks? Will you then offer an opology if anything like that actually happens?

Old
01-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I'm puzzled by the ones "puzzled" by the attention Lapierre, "just a 4th liner" is getting. First, he had in him at one point to be a 3rd liner. Then, on a brillant system like we're having, the 4th line doesn't end up playing 2 minutes. Then, we shouldn't care. But geez, I prefer having that long of a thread for a player we drafted, tried to develop, did give us some relative good hockey for 5 years then having 3 1000 X posts for Sundin, a guy who didn't even had one single of intention of coming. It puzzles me that there's the police of good threads going on while we see tons of other threads much less interesting every day....

Old
01-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
While I personally love a good conspiracy theory, there is a much simpler way to see this. Laps asked for a trade (well, he asked for more icetime OR to be traded but it's the same thing). Assuming you make the trade, you are down to 12 Forwards and you need at least one backup, in case of flu or practice injuries. You have to call someone from Hamilton - who you gonna call ? Desharnais is clearly the next in line (with White injured).

Makes more sense doesn't it ?

Old
01-01-2011, 01:57 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I still can't believe Lapierre would draw this much attention. It seems fans are more depressed losing him than when they were complaining that Plekanec got too much money. If PG would of taken his time maybe he could of swapped Lappy with another 4th line grinder but maybe the issue is they don't want that player. A few guys in the AHL seem to have reached the level where they need to be given their chance. If the farm kids don't work PG can pick off some guy on waivers that can fill in for Lappy, Pyatt has already replaced him defensively.
This was a dump and it was better than what happened with Laraque who we couldn't dump at least we got something for him. We could even call back Boyd at least he was hustling but I don't think he would clear waivers this time, Nashville would probably grab him.
Yeah, maybe we should create another Sundin or Lecavalier thread... or keep posting Ek's bogus rumors... that would make way more sense...

Old
01-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Cujo95

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
It's NYE. I wonder if they are unhappy about Max's partying? In any case, Max Lapierre is not the problem with this team. We don't have the Ryan Malones and the Neals that other teams do. You can't win with midgets, bottom line.

Now we see how valuable Markov is to this team. Sign him now.
Atleast you have midgets than can score not a roster full of AHL players

Old
01-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Habs

Reminds me of the time this guy on the old message board left forever, because Montreal traded Chris Murray. Good times.

Old
01-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windymind View Post
They could have waited and get much more for him.
what do you figure?

Old
01-01-2011, 02:22 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Sry but Festerling is nothing. We conitnue to give proven NHLers away for nothing. It's getting tiresome.
this

Old
01-01-2011, 02:33 PM
prairie hab

This is a cap clearing move. The Habs gain almost 500,000 in this deal, and will be able to add a 4-5 million dollar salary at the trade deadline if they wish (top 6 forward). The Wiz acquisition surprised many, but was a great deal - he has more ceiling, and was cheaper than Bieksa, or other rumored d-men that were supposed to land in Montreal. (The $ freed up from Markov's injury has allowed us more flexibility going into the trade deadline.)

I've been saying it a long time - we have too many roster players that essentially all do the same thing on the 3rd/4th lines, while we are still having trouble rounding out our top 6. Lapierre was only really effective when he was pizzing people off. He couldn't play like that every night, therefore, he became just "another guy". Jacques Martin teams have always had trouble defining roles for the bottom 6 forwards - he uses them as if they were made from cookie cutters. I think Gauthier has done a good job in the short term of recognizing the team's weaknesses and needs, all the while not panicking and acting irrationally with crazy trades. Acquiring Wiz was brilliant, moving Lapierre was necessary. I expect the Habs to land a top 6 forward at the trade deadline - especially if they are in the thick of a playoff race.

Next offseason will again bring another facelift to the Habs, where Gauthier will truly get to make his imprint on the team.

Old
01-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
this
True and let just say we keep sending the guy with the best ceiling (as low as some people would like to think it is). Only thing saving us here is the pick. Though Festerling could quielty develop into something good. 24 for a d-man could be relatively young. My problem with him, and which is what defines what a player will end up doing in the big league, is that he doesn't have 1 great quality. And not only that but he doesn't even seem good everywhere, just average.

But as much as people hate him, Lapierre was an NHL'er. But again, it didn't take time, we're already in the "addition by substraction" mode. Same mode AKost will be getting soon. And a few others 'cause I suspect, after seeing the other guys doing it, that Lapierre wasn't the only one not happy with that great system we're having.

Old
01-01-2011, 02:42 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
This is a cap clearing move. The Habs gain almost 500,000 in this deal, and will be able to add a 4-5 million dollar salary at the trade deadline if they wish (top 6 forward). The Wiz acquisition surprised many, but was a great deal - he has more ceiling, and was cheaper than Bieksa, or other rumored d-men that were supposed to land in Montreal. (The $ freed up from Markov's injury has allowed us more flexibility going into the trade deadline.)

I've been saying it a long time - we have too many roster players that essentially all do the same thing on the 3rd/4th lines, while we are still having trouble rounding out our top 6. Lapierre was only really effective when he was pizzing people off. He couldn't play like that every night, therefore, he became just "another guy". Jacques Martin teams have always had trouble defining roles for the bottom 6 forwards - he uses them as if they were made from cookie cutters. I think Gauthier has done a good job in the short term of recognizing the team's weaknesses and needs, all the while not panicking and acting irrationally with crazy trades. Acquiring Wiz was brilliant, moving Lapierre was necessary. I expect the Habs to land a top 6 forward at the trade deadline - especially if they are in the thick of a playoff race.

Next offseason will again bring another facelift to the Habs, where Gauthier will truly get to make his imprint on the team.
4th period saying maybe Havlat?

Old
01-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
mindblowing how people are unhappy with someone who wasnt doing anything for us this year

i LOVE max but lets face it, im surprised we didnt JUST get a draft pick for him

whats funny is that commercial, where u see everyone wearing jerseys over the decades and the last one is lapierre lol, even the lil kid is wearing it

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Closed Thread