HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lapierre traded to Anaheim for D-Brett Festerling & a 5th round pick

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2011, 02:50 PM
  #951
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
4th period saying maybe Havlat?
Keep dreaming...

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 02:50 PM
  #952
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
I've been saying it a long time - we have too many roster players that essentially all do the same thing on the 3rd/4th lines
The plenty of guys we have enough on those lines are fancy players who aren't too much involve in the hitting part of the game. Mostly undersized and when not undersized either totally shy because he's the only one on the team (Moen) or look like a young deer on the ice while always losing his battles and always on the ice (Pouliot).

Where's the love for Halpern lately? Hey Darche is throwing his body around with absolutely close to 0 result. Yet, by substracting one guy that was sometimes playing like that, you'll see the others trying to fit in the system which is not trying to hit too hard (see O'Byrne's comment).

So based on that comment, and based on the guys that left already, I guess you're right. The system is based on the intelligence on the ice and not at tiring the opposition with our heavy checks and tough battles. Fine. We'll see if it works...Can't stop laughing at the ones hoping we'd see Parros back in the trade....yeah right.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 02:52 PM
  #953
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Yeah, he's going to go off to Anaheim, become a 30-goal scorer and play in the All-Star game next year.

Seriously, I'm confident Ryan White will be as good as Lapierre, when Lapierre wanted to try and was in the game. Not to mention, David Desharnais may be the answer to our scoring woes. And ontop of just those two factors, we get an okay defensive prospect who's a good hitter and good skater (something we lack) and a 5th round pick? Nice.

By the way, 5th round picks aren't so bad. Everyone's complaining about it but look at our last few picks in this round, they're not so bad IMO;

Brendan Gallagher, Gabriel Dumont, Maxim Trunev, Joe Stejskal, Andrew Conboy, Pavel Valentenko, Mathieu Aubin, and Mikhail Grabovski.

Most of them are too young to fully know yet, but I liked every single one of those prospects. Still do. Aubin was the only who really will most likely never amount to anything (and is no longer property of any NHL team), but he was a good risk since he was a solid junior scorer.

The rest have NHL careers or could still potentially have good NHL careers, IMO. Of course they won't all make it, but it's not hard to believe that 2-3 of those guys could become NHL regulars (and one already is - and darn good one at that).
Oh look! its the draft police telling us that a 5th rounder is worth more than a proven NHLer. (jk)

in all seriousness... I'm all in for Desharnais... I'm happy to see him get the go, but I would have prefered players like Pyatt and Moen to be traded to create a spot. Desharnais is all I ask of a hockey player - just like Halak was. A fierce, serious competitor who's been consistently written off and makes it his life project to prove everybody wrong. He's not Martin st-louis...and never will be, but he certainly comes from the same state of mind.

Maxime Lapierre won't score 30 goals... but a consistent 15 to 20 without any powerplay time. On the PK , he used to play phenomenal for us, and hasn't got the chance to play on the PK and was left on the side for players such as moen. Down the road (~2 years) maxime lapierre will be significant upgrade over all our current (or prospects) bottom 6 players. Maxime lapierre has better hands and offensive flair than what he is given credit for. On top of that, a proven playoff performer.

White ? sure ... why not... he's already an upgrade over Pyatt ... but if that isn't so in martin's head, I'd prefer to leave him down in hamilton playing good minutes. And yeah ... he could end up better than lapierre, but that hardly makes lapierre ''more expandable'' . What about the two of them on a line?

the prospect we got in the trade is insignificant... we have plenty of bottom pairing minute players...and have the opportunity to sign hamrlik cheaper with less responsabilities ... what we need is a healthy top pairing Dman.

wiz, gorges , gill , hamrlik, spacek, picard, weber, subban ..... the pool of players capable of playing bottom line minutes is deep enough, but none of the above is a top pairing Dman in the NHL. (subban in a couple of years, if he improves steadily)

so yeah, it has the smell of a dumb ****ing trade ; just like Obyrne's trade, even prior to markov going down. ...and the desjardins trade.


Last edited by THE HOFF: 01-01-2011 at 03:09 PM.
THE HOFF is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 02:56 PM
  #954
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Isssh! I don't know that I like the comparison Ribeiro/Lapierre on many, many points. First talent, and then attitude, with Ribeiro leading in both categories by a wide margin.
Who says I was comparing the two? I said like the Ribeiro trade, I don't like the return but am glad that the player is gone. I doubt there's a hockey fan around that would remotely consider Lappy having anything close to the talent that Ribs has.

montreal is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 03:05 PM
  #955
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,371
vCash: 500
The problem is not that we might have somebody to replace him. It's a question of trying to get the guy's best value if you absolutely have to move him. Yet, we are specialist at sending (except for Halak) guys we've lowered their value as much as possible so it would be really hard to get something. So Andrei Kostitsyn made the comment to Pleks that he has a hard time getting his groove going because of the numerous PK's, and if we keep taking them, he would like to be on it. Strange, Lapierre says the same freakin team. But we don't hear how it wasn't a bad statement by AKost. Sorry but to me it sounds like players confident about themselves of being able to do the job so might as well try them and see. But we don't. So they end up prooving elsewhere. Then I'll see the replies that he didn't deserve it. That he's not working hard enough. But then I see people complaining about Darche getting some time....well he is working hard isn't he? And then, I keep reading how AKost is misused....well he is not always working hard isn't he? Tough to follow sometimes....Lapierre was a good PK at one point. He was doing the job.Maybe not like Tom "Frank Selke" Pyatt but a good job nonetheless. And certainly a better job than Cammalleri who got more shifts on it than him, even if he loses most of his battles along the board and even if he's not producing offensively....

So even if I would have hated Lapierre's comment about wanting to play more and such, well I would have told him that he needs to show me he can. I would have given him some time then to get his groove going and then either I'm satisfied and he sticks around, either I send him going but he would have looked better than he was then with more icetime and maybe just a little more stats to show for.

Anyway, people will remember how he was playing lately. Get yourselves some Ducks game so you'd see what a player with confidence looks like. Another thing going for him in Anaheim is that he's not going to be the guy that has to fight now. There's a couple of big bodies over there which should skyrocket his confidence in no time. Not going to be a 30-goal scorer....but I see 20 in due time. An effective PK'er on top of it. But it's the price to pay when you have to play a cerebral system in Montreal....

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 03:22 PM
  #956
Celtic Cross
Registered User
 
Celtic Cross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
you do relize that lapierre requested the trade right? he has been un happy in the last month and his ice time was cut in a few games, washington for example. we traded an under achiever in lapierre(under martin) under carboneau he was a stud. for a guy who scored big points in junior, to become an utter failure hense why he was burried in the minors this morning

Celtic Cross is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 03:23 PM
  #957
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The problem is not that we might have somebody to replace him. It's a question of trying to get the guy's best value if you absolutely have to move him. Yet, we are specialist at sending (except for Halak) guys we've lowered their value as much as possible so it would be really hard to get something. So Andrei Kostitsyn made the comment to Pleks that he has a hard time getting his groove going because of the numerous PK's, and if we keep taking them, he would like to be on it. Strange, Lapierre says the same freakin team. But we don't hear how it wasn't a bad statement by AKost. Sorry but to me it sounds like players confident about themselves of being able to do the job so might as well try them and see. But we don't. So they end up prooving elsewhere. Then I'll see the replies that he didn't deserve it. That he's not working hard enough. But then I see people complaining about Darche getting some time....well he is working hard isn't he? And then, I keep reading how AKost is misused....well he is not always working hard isn't he? Tough to follow sometimes....Lapierre was a good PK at one point. He was doing the job.Maybe not like Tom "Frank Selke" Pyatt but a good job nonetheless. And certainly a better job than Cammalleri who got more shifts on it than him, even if he loses most of his battles along the board and even if he's not producing offensively....

So even if I would have hated Lapierre's comment about wanting to play more and such, well I would have told him that he needs to show me he can. I would have given him some time then to get his groove going and then either I'm satisfied and he sticks around, either I send him going but he would have looked better than he was then with more icetime and maybe just a little more stats to show for.

Anyway, people will remember how he was playing lately. Get yourselves some Ducks game so you'd see what a player with confidence looks like. Another thing going for him in Anaheim is that he's not going to be the guy that has to fight now. There's a couple of big bodies over there which should skyrocket his confidence in no time. Not going to be a 30-goal scorer....but I see 20 in due time. An effective PK'er on top of it. But it's the price to pay when you have to play a cerebral system in Montreal....

agreed. the lack of faith in his blue collar abilities was disturbing... if anything, lapierre was one of the best Pker I've ever seen in a habs jersey, yet travis moen is getting regular icetime on the PK ... even if he looks like he's carrying an elephant on his back. At least cammalleri is a threat... and moves fast enough to prevent the other team's QB to feel completely at ease. (although I'd agree that he shouldn't be a ''regular'' on the PK)

Tom Pyatt is great on the PK, but that isn't enough to earn a place in the NHL ... he might be slightly better than lapierre on the PK , but that doesn't erase the 5 on 5 game, where lapierre totally dominates him on all levels .

THE HOFF is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 03:36 PM
  #958
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Jacques Martin has been using Cammy on the PK over Lapierre. I think you don't really have to look very far to see what's going on here: Martin wasn't fond of Lapierre's game and he didn't think he was doing a good job, or not good enough, to play on the PK.

Pierre and Benoit, during the (shortened ) broadcast of the game yesterday mentioned that maybe the conditional 5th round pick in the Wiz trade was going the Islanders' way only if they could acquire a 5th from that Lappy trade, something like that. That would make sense.

Martin seems to be fond of Pyatt, he trusts him on the PK, so I guess all you need to see here is this: they had been showcasing Lapierre and they intend on using Pyatt in his place. I'm thinking maybe they'll try Desharnais over Eller next game, see how it goes, juggle around with the line-up for a few and after a while, either Desharnais will go back to Hamilton, Eller will be sent down, or Pyatt will be used as a 13th forward for the rest of the season.

Gabe84 is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 03:39 PM
  #959
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,355
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Lapierre trade was addition by subtraction, getting a top 5/6 defender and a 5th round pick for an expiring contract that has been doing nothing as of late isn't a bad trade imo. I can't see a problem here, I will miss his personality, but I am giddy at the thought of just how aggressive the habs have become in trading during the season when a change is needed as opposed to the passive style.

Now it gives players like White and desharnais a chance to play.

A line of Desharnais-Eller-Pouliot is pretty mouth watering over lapierre in that line up or on the 4th.

I approve once again by Pierre Gauthier's move and I am glad we are starting to become an aggressive trading partner for other teams.

Not to mention how much I love the Wiz deal.

JHabs is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 03:46 PM
  #960
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
there really wasn't another lapierre thread or anything.

overlords is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 03:51 PM
  #961
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
«D'après les informations obtenues, Maxim avait demandé à la direction du Canadien de l'échanger la semaine dernière, principalement parce qu'il voyait que le rôle qui lui était demandé ne cadrait plus avec les responsabilités qui lui ont permis de connaître du succès au début de sa carrière dans la Ligue nationale.

Cela fait cinq ans que Lapierre porte l'uniforme du Canadien et il a su démontrer son utilité lorsqu'il était appelé à jouer en désavantage numérique. D'ailleurs, au cours des dernières saisons, le Canadien a toujours présenté un style de jeu très efficace lorsque venait le temps de tuer des pénalités et Maxim a eu son mot à dire dans ces succès, notamment grâce à l'énergie qu'il était capable de générer sur la patinoire lors de ces situations à court d'un homme.

Depuis l'arrivée de Jacques Martin derrière le banc du Canadien, le rôle de Maxim a beaucoup changé et il semblait éprouver de la difficulté à définir le genre de joueurs qu'on lui demandait d'être. Il se cherchait, et à cette recherche se sont ajoutés un bon nombre de questionnements qui ont fini par miner son moral parce qu'il ne jouait pas.
»

~ Guy Carbonneau
Rough translation: Lapierre was part of the success the team had short handed. Since the arrival of Jacques Martin, his role has changed drastically and Lapierre was struggling to become the players they were wanting him to become.

In other words, Martin is THE reason for Lapierre's lack of success and ultimately, the trade.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 03:55 PM
  #962
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,799
vCash: 2009
waaa waa we lost a 4th liner...get over it

holyhabs87 is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:00 PM
  #963
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,448
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
A stud with Carbonneau? lol

Le Tricolore is online now  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:02 PM
  #964
QuietReign
 
QuietReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windymind View Post
They traded him under his request. This is not a trade that advantages CH. They could have waited and get much more for him.
Where is this coming from? where have you read that Lapierre requested a trade?! I call this a pure BS of a lie from trolls on this forum... show me one legit source....

QuietReign is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:06 PM
  #965
QuietReign
 
QuietReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Cross View Post
you do relize that lapierre requested the trade right? he has been un happy in the last month and his ice time was cut in a few games, washington for example. we traded an under achiever in lapierre(under martin) under carboneau he was a stud. for a guy who scored big points in junior, to become an utter failure hense why he was burried in the minors this morning
Source? Do you have a legit source to claming Lapierre requested a trade? if not please dont state your personal opinion/rumour as a fact....

QuietReign is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:09 PM
  #966
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietReign View Post
Source? Do you have a legit source to claming Lapierre requested a trade? if not please dont state your personal opinion/rumour as a fact....
RDS reported it before we knew who was coming back.

Ginu is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:09 PM
  #967
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietReign View Post
Source? Do you have a legit source to claming Lapierre requested a trade? if not please dont state your personal opinion/rumour as a fact....
Yes he did request for a trade. RDS said it yesterday night.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:11 PM
  #968
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In The Lab.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,404
vCash: 500


So far 2011 has started great for me, the only thing that makes me a little sad is Max being gone. Came to the thread to read other opinions than my own, but none of the reasoning in this thread works for me. I guess its just one of those trades I'll blame/dislike JM for.

Beaker is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:13 PM
  #969
KareyPrice
Registered User
 
KareyPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
there really wasn't another lapierre thread or anything.
I see what you did there

KareyPrice is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:14 PM
  #970
QuietReign
 
QuietReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
RDS reported it before we knew who was coming back.
And that means Lapierre requested a trade?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Yes he did request for a trade a week ago. RDS also said it yesterday night.
I just watched a bunch of RDS videos... nada... closest was that Lapierre in one said he felt last year that the administration didnt want him in their future plans.... but in everyone he affirms he wanted to stay here and never thought he would be traded... please show me one video... i seriously want to see it... no offense...

QuietReign is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:14 PM
  #971
Edgy
Registered User
 
Edgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Jordan
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Rough translation: Lapierre was part of the success the team had short handed. Since the arrival of Jacques Martin, his role has changed drastically and Lapierre was struggling to become the players they were wanting him to become.

In other words, Martin is THE reason for Lapierre's lack of success and ultimately, the trade.
Carbonneu talking about players struggling under a coach? Now that is classic irony.

Edgy is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:15 PM
  #972
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietReign View Post
And that means Lapierre requested a trade?!?!



I just watched a bunch of RDS videos... nada... closest was that Lapierre in one said he felt last year that the administration didnt want him in their future plans.... but in everyone he affirms he wanted to stay here and never thought he would be traded... please show me one video... i seriously want to see it... no offense...
It was there, not in the vids, the non updated link to Lapierre trade had it.

get over it now, you dont believe it fine. No need to be that dense.

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:21 PM
  #973
QuietReign
 
QuietReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
It was there, not in the vids, the non updated link to Lapierre trade had it.

get over it now, you dont believe it fine. No need to be that dense.
huh? Get over what?! Youre saying he said something that big, and I asked for a source and youre telling me to get over it? Get over asking for source to claims that big? wow... amazing.....

This is how rumours start... way to go guys... absolutely no substance...

QuietReign is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:22 PM
  #974
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietReign View Post
This is how rumours start... way to go guys... absolutely no substance...
I'm guessing you haven't watched RDS last night.


RDS must be legit.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:24 PM
  #975
Passchendaele
Registered User
 
Passchendaele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Laval, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
Why wouldn't it make sense? Lapierre asked for a trade, they probably did take the best deal available.

Passchendaele is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.