HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Only 2 (Well 3) Quebecois left in the team

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2010, 11:03 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
This just in...
Who cares
I don't care where you come from
Just play good

Old
12-31-2010, 11:57 PM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Discuss.
OK, everyone chillax. Yeah I grew up with Savard, Yvan, Guy, Guy again, Jaques. I love having great Quebecois french guys on the Habs. We all do.

But we have to win. And there aren't enough great Quebec guys to go around these days. It's a shame, but there it is.

Meanwhile, let's all get along, support the Habs no matter where the guys come from, and:

Frickin scouting get out there now and find us a brilliant french kid please!

Love and happy 2011 to all.

J

Old
01-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Seriously, TDG? This is an awful thread that I would expect you to link me to on MSN and mock. You fail at life.

Old
01-01-2011, 12:18 AM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
Imagine the Yankees with no Americans.. ? It's that big, **** yeah..
You mean the Yankees with no New Yorkers don't you?

America = country
Canada = country
Quebec = province
New York = state

Old
01-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I'll admit I'd like there to be more. Way more, if possible. But not at the risk of being crappy, which this is.

Old
01-01-2011, 12:33 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post

America = country
Canada = country
Quebec = province
New York = state
OK that's enough guys. Chill pill time. I'm half french half english trued blood Quebecois, and I understand how the millions of non french Quebecois Habs fans get pissed off at the emphasis on french players. We love the team as much as you french guys, don't you guys know that?

However my Quebecois french side and heart wants another Cournoyer. Richard. Savard. So I understand why french guys and girls feel bad when we don't have a Vrais Frere on the team.

The Habs need to scout Quebec much more aggressively, end of. meanwhile we all love the Habs.

Old
01-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I'm not even Canadian and I would like more Francophones if possible.

Old
01-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Belso

I don't give a flying Fu@# how many they are. If the French GM wants to improve his team, trade them all.. If the talented French Canadians don't want to come to Montreal when the opportunity is there, what can the team do? Lecavalier and Briere were both perused bye the Habs and turned them down.

The coach and GM are both French Canadian and they are doing what they can to have a winning team. That says it all..

Old
01-01-2011, 12:55 AM
Teufelsdreck

I wish the Habs had a real star from the province but thre hasn't been one in ages. The best francophone player, Pouliot, doesn't come from the province, and he isn't considered to be a star. Even if Latendresse hadl lived up to his QMJHL notices it wouldn;t have made much difference. As I said in an earlier post, if the Habs go down im the stamdings they should go as far down as possible. Unfotunately, I think they'll remain in limbo, neither a contender nor a bottom scraper.

Old
01-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
I don't recall there being a single airplane on the roster for the Jets

Old
01-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
OK that's enough guys. Chill pill time. I'm half french half english trued blood Quebecois, and I understand how the millions of non french Quebecois Habs fans get pissed off at the emphasis on french players. We love the team as much as you french guys, don't you guys know that?

However my Quebecois french side and heart wants another Cournoyer. Richard. Savard. So I understand why french guys and girls feel bad when we don't have a Vrais Frere on the team.

The Habs need to scout Quebec much more aggressively, end of. meanwhile we all love the Habs.
EXCEPT that the Cournoyer, Richard and Savard of today preferred to play elsewhere. Not to mention Quebec is nowadays producing a lot fewer talents compared to other places.

These Quebecois should stop living in the past and expecting the past long lasting glory to repeat itself.

Old
01-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

Meh. For me if he does not want to play in MTL, that's already enough to know he is not the next Cournoyer, Richard or Savard.

Old
01-01-2011, 02:15 AM
MacHabs93

At least there's plenty of Italians!

Old
01-01-2011, 02:43 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsetHabs View Post
or a single rope tier on the Cowboys

Old
01-01-2011, 03:00 AM
Vineon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post

America = country
Canada = country
Quebec = province
New York = state
Of course, those cheap comparisons had to come. Havent yet heard people living in New York state calling themselves New Yorkers before calling themselves Americans.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...#ixzz19VOjOzV5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsetHabs View Post
Im afraid aerospace is now moreso Quebec business, mate.

Last edited by Vineon: 01-01-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old
01-01-2011, 05:55 AM
JrHockeyFan

I wonder how any other North American pro teams are plagued by this concept, if any.

When the Expos existed, did the same mentality exist? Did we have to have Canadians? Quebecois? My sense was that while it was nice to have some real legit home grown talent like Larry Walker, it did not make me any happier if marginal players were placed on the roster because they were Canadian.

Let's face it, that is really what it boils down to. Real talent usually wins out. This concept of filling out a roster with players from specific background is usually a borderline player.

Get the best player avaailable. If he is a local player, then that's a bonus. It shou;ld not be a primary driver

Old
01-01-2011, 06:02 AM
HockeyF3ind

Stop whining and just be patient for Leblanc, besides Quebecoise players are simply a smaller portion of the league now as are all North Americans now when compared with times past, so gettin ones (specifically ones worth keeping) is no longer a sure fire thing.

Old
01-01-2011, 06:13 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I wonder how any other North American pro teams are plagued by this concept, if any.

When the Expos existed, did the same mentality exist? Did we have to have Canadians? Quebecois? My sense was that while it was nice to have some real legit home grown talent like Larry Walker, it did not make me any happier if marginal players were placed on the roster because they were Canadian.

Let's face it, that is really what it boils down to. Real talent usually wins out. This concept of filling out a roster with players from specific background is usually a borderline player.

Get the best player avaailable. If he is a local player, then that's a bonus. It shou;ld not be a primary driver
that's why you dont get it, your example...

Expos -> Montreal, Québec
Larry Walker -> BC

and yet he's "home grown" ?

Old
01-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Rutabaga

From a french POV, honestly, the question is more likely to be :

Why so few quebecois players are currently playing in the NHL ?

You can criticize blindly our GM and our staff, but how many above average quebecois do we have in the entire league ?
15, at best.
And you can easily imagine how much we would have to overpay to get them (and in a salary cap world, we're screwed), without having the desire to play here and deal with the pressure for some of them. (Briere is the most famous example).

You should talk about the development of the juniors in Quebec and this kind of things.
If we dont have many quebecois, its not because we dont want them, its because they're are not so many. (And its arguably tougher to succeed as a franco here)

Old
01-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Discuss.
So what is exactly the correct response. Do the Canucks lose their minds if a BC boy gets traded? Do the Oilers? How about the LA Kings - they are crying out for local talent!

Only here - baffling....

Old
01-01-2011, 07:54 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

The real issue is there's only a small amount of Quebecois stars. I would like a Francophone star on the team just because it would help sooth the booboos of the fans. Good morale amongst the fans will help the team generally in the long run. I don't see the need to get a 100% French team however. I'd rather have another Saku Koivu though, players with heart are more important than players who speak a language.

It's a shame we're not bottom feeding, getting Sean Couturier would really shut up a lot of people. I doubt we have the assets to land a 1st/2nd/3rd overall pick anyways.

Old
01-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Alright been busy this week, I think getting Wiz was great, getting rid of Of Laps, |I heard he asked for the trade...

It's not supposed to be right or wrong,

If we win the Stanley Cup, will you Martinique guys just please just wear the Canada Flag for 1 year... that's all.

Old
01-01-2011, 08:17 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post

I remember being very happy when Denis Boucher made the squad. The difference is that in baseball, the Quebecois are really rare and it's almost an achievement just to have two in the entire league. When we had the luxury of having one on our team, it was amazing. It's too bad they weren't good players. Imagine a guy like Russel Martin with the Expos and he would be BY FAR the most popular player on the team.

Old
01-01-2011, 08:24 AM
sevil

What a fk'n joke! all of these guys whining about no french players will be the same "fans" who will be out dancing in the streets if they win the cup (french players or not). Get over yourselves.

Old
01-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
It's not a language thing! Laps Sucked, he was terrible, he asked for the trade... If you watched CTV you would know that they got the best they could get for a guy that didn't want to be here....

People who can't tell about language & winning is why Montreal has a white elephant Airport in Mirabel & Toronto is what we should have been, enough!!! Let's win...

We deserve it! It's a Metropolitan City!

Closed Thread