HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Leafs @ Senators - May the worse team lose - 5-1 loss

Old
01-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Well that's just not true. He killed the Meszaros deal and Shannon deal. Those were great moves imo. His deadline deals have been quite good as well. He always seems to find useful players (Cullen, Sutton, Stillman). If Muckler had managed a few of those trades (instead of Bondra, Arnason etc.), this team very well might have a Stanley Cup banner. I know some people don't like trading the picks for rentals and that's fine (its a difference in philosophy) but those were some fair deals and the players really did help the team.

His only really bad deal was the Heatley one, and its hard to hold him completely accountable for that as we all know.

We've never seen him sell at a deadline so its hard to know what to expect. I doubt it could be as bad as you're making it out to be.
He killed the Shannon deal ? come on man ,it was an AHL player for a 4th liner for god's sake
Meszaros trade looks worse day by day, I mean Kuba had 6 good months as a Sen , that's it . That 1st we turned into a guy who plays on the bottom pair. Picard , yeah...
If these are Murray's big wins then I don't need someone to explain what's wrong with this team.
Murray held the cards in that Heatley deal and yes, his value was not as high as it should have been, but Murray took as part of return a salary dump and a 2nd round pick. Really,read one more time ..a salary dump and a 2nd round pick

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Suiteness

I received tickets to this ***** show for X-mas.

The core needs to be blown up. Murray is a moron who keeps hiring terrible coaches but it's also clear that the core group is simply too damn comfortable collecting fat pay checks with NTC's in their back pockets allowing them to get away with this stuff.

Losing a Kovalev or a Ruutu is not what is needed around here. I want at LEAST 2 of the following (Alfie, Spezza, Fisher, Phillips, Neil) gone by next year.

Murray should do the honorable thing and step down ala Sutter in Calgary and let a new GM start fixing this crap right away. First step should be to QUIETLY ask a couple of veterans on this team to submit a list of trade destinations...

Last edited by Suiteness: 01-02-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Suiteness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

At least I got to sit in a luxury box for that debacle. That alone made the night bearable.

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:26 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
First 3 I assume would happen, never heard anything about a Winter Classic though.. If there is any merit to that won't it be the Heritage Classic? I won't expect to have a WC since we're hosting the allstar game, never know I guess.

It could very well could be a Heritage game.

Basically the short version of what I heard was they have some major plans for next years anniversary, to the point where they have already have a team working stuff out.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:27 AM
JackBauer

if we bring in a new GM, i want him to have a good drafting record. murray has been great at the draft in recent years and this year's (and possibly the next few - hence the need for the new guy to have a record) is shaping up to be important for us. murray's record is the only reason i haven't called for his head yet.

don't want another brian lee or patrick eaves pick.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Suiteness

The ideal GM for me would be Jarmo Kekäläinen. He's already been part of this organization, he's pretty damn good at the draft table (He got us the Hossa's and Havlat's back in the day he's also responsible for the current group in St-louis) so you figure he would know how important the draft is and build a strong scouting team.

Suiteness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:42 AM
QuattroFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
I received tickets to this ***** show for X-mas.

The core needs to be blown up. Murray is a moron who keeps hiring terrible coaches but it's also clear that the core group is simply too damn comfortable collecting fat pay checks with NTC's in their back pockets allowing them to get away with this stuff.

Losing a Kovalev or a Ruutu is not what is needed around here. I want at LEAST 2 of the following (Alfie, Spezza, Fisher, Phillips, Neil) gone by next year.

Murray should do the honorable thing and step down ala Sutter in Calgary and let a new GM start fixing this crap right away. First step should be to QUIETLY ask a couple of veterans on this team to submit a list of trade destinations...
I'm right behind you on this. I've seen enough from this Junior A team that I want to see a rebuild. It's already a well established fact that this team
1) is inconsistent
2) lacks the offensive power it used to have
3) lacks to defensive skill it used to have
4) is mentally broken

Going the "wait and see" route in my opinion is like doing what we've been doing the past 2 years. Seriously this team sucks in every department, period.

QuattroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:49 AM
WpgSensFan

vCash: 400
I can't believe that my cousin (a Leafs fan) gave the Sens too much credit when he said the final score would be 5-2 Toronto.

WpgSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:17 AM
SensForLife11

? Eaves was a 29th pick and had a 20 goal rookie season. Injuries slowed him down. Still, he's got 11 goals this season playing the 4th line in Detroit which is currently good enough to be tied for 2nd on the Sens (Fisher). I'd be fine drafting another Patrick Eaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
if we bring in a new GM, i want him to have a good drafting record. murray has been great at the draft in recent years and this year's (and possibly the next few - hence the need for the new guy to have a record) is shaping up to be important for us. murray's record is the only reason i haven't called for his head yet.

don't want another brian lee or patrick eaves pick.

SensForLife11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:56 AM
blahblah3

vCash: 10458
After watching this garbage, it is obvious, we have no defense.

Get some ****ing defense!!!!!!!!

And don't bother playing Kovalev again.

blahblah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Bileur

James Wisnewski would have looked pretty good on this team.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
James Wisnewski would have looked pretty good on this team.
Fans would have called for Murray's head moving a 2nd rounder for a rental in what looks like a failed season by New Year.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:27 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
What is it going to take for Ottawa fans to see that Murray needs to go?

He "killed" in the Ryan Shannon trade

Everything he's touched has turned to ****.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:29 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Fans would have called for Murray's head moving a 2nd rounder for a rental in what looks like a failed season by New Year.
And rightly so. Brian Lee looked pretty good the other night, why they put Kuba back in the lineup is beyond me. It must be because Lee laid some open ice hits. Our coaching staff wants to keep the games simple.

And nothing is simpler than keeping it in your own end/net all game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
What is it going to take for Ottawa fans to see that Murray needs to go?

He "killed" in the Ryan Shannon trade

Everything he's touched has turned to ****.
I think the wind has shifted, Murray still has his dedicated fanboys, but I've chatted with plenty of other folks who feel a change is needed.

Plenty on these boards as well.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Derivation

Watched the game at Real Sports Bar across from the ACC, wearing my Sens Jersey and was mocked into embarrassment. Amazing bar though I highly recommend checking it out if you're in the GTA.

Derivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:05 AM
BeerandHockey
╚(Ž_Ž)╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
For sure, I know I would have. No draft picks should be moved for pending UFAs. We do not have the horses this year, so time to trade some assets and get younger.

We need a smart X's and O's coach who can teach the young players a solid tight checking system based around speed and positioning. Our youth move to defense is pretty much set with Cowen, Karlsson, Rundblad, and Lee (yes he should be playing as a bottom pairing right now).

So now we need some speed and youth up front.

trade assets for picks or prospects:
Philips, Fisher, Kovalev, Neil, Ruutu, Gonchar,(Kuba?? if we can), and only if he asks Alfie

Assets on the current roster to hold onto (for now):
Spezza, Michalek, Regin, Foligno, Winchester, Kelly (aside from Spezza, these players should be able to fit into a tight checking system)

Assets in the system that should be able to fit:
Silverberg, Greening, O'Brien, Z. Smith, (all these guys should bring speed, grit and good defensive responsibilities)

At the draft. If the BPA is a defense man then trade down for more assets.

BeerandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote