Surging Wild back in playoff race

Old
01-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Doyle

vCash: 500
Surging Wild back in playoff race

The latest from Josh Sargent over at NHL Hot Stove

http://nhlhotstove.com/surging-wild-...-playoff-race/

Do you guys think the Wild make the playoffs?

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:35 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
I'd be pleasantly surprised to see them make the playoffs. Once they get healthy, they'll have a pretty good chance at the 7th/8th seed in my opinion. The West is WIDE open. I mean, just look at tonight. The Hawks went from 12th to 8th with 1 win.

As it stands, we're 2 points out of a tie for 8th place, and we have 3 games in hand on the Hawks. The Rangers must beat the Blues tomorrow (win-win for me ) to keep it comfortable, though. With a win tomorrow, this team becomes a playoff team.

01-08-2011, 09:39 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Do you guys think the Wild make the playoffs?
Do I? Not really.

It's hard to say for certain because we just don't know what the Wild will do come the trade deadline. Or more importantly, where this team will be in the standings at that time which will in turn be the deciding factor as to how Chuck Fletcher approaches the decisions to be made.

While the pending free agents on this Wild team aren't particularly core players, most all of them are, at the very least, strong role players that do make an impact most games. Seeing how the previous regime failed to get a return on their pending free agents have a hand in effecting the organizational depth, I'm hoping Fletcher is able to learn from that and make the prudent move come deadline time.

While this run has been fun, I just don't think this team has the staying power to stay in contention. I believe as the deadline nears, they'll be a similar situation as they are now. I'd love to see them continue the strong play and work themselves into a more comfortable seeding, but I just have a hard time believing this team can do it.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:37 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
nah. gotta manage expectations.
we're going for that #11 pick.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Playoffs?

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:08 PM
BuddyMcCormick

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:50 PM
mnwildgophers

It's going to be so tough for all of the teams 4-13 right now to make the playoffs. It's like a 4 point spread between those teams. While I'm optimistic, I also know that there's a good chance that we just can't keep up playing so well, but the another part of me feels like this team is different. They played so well in Boston. I think if this team finds its identity which I think it might be finding. Russo said it best, this group of guys is turning into a team. They need to all sacrifice, lay it all down on the line, and continue to play team hockey to win. They will have to outwork their opponents if they want to win. They have enough talent to make it, and having a strong tandem in goal helps too.

Obviously there's a chance we can make the playoffs, then we can get hot and it could be a good run. I think most of us are proceeding with caution for now, but I'm interested to see how we handle the deadline if we are a point or two out of it, sitting in 10th-11th.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:07 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
It's going to be so tough for all of the teams 4-13 right now to make the playoffs. It's like a 4 point spread between those teams. While I'm optimistic, I also know that there's a good chance that we just can't keep up playing so well, but the another part of me feels like this team is different. They played so well in Boston. I think if this team finds its identity which I think it might be finding. Russo said it best, this group of guys is turning into a team. They need to all sacrifice, lay it all down on the line, and continue to play team hockey to win. They will have to outwork their opponents if they want to win. They have enough talent to make it, and having a strong tandem in goal helps too.

Obviously there's a chance we can make the playoffs, then we can get hot and it could be a good run. I think most of us are proceeding with caution for now, but I'm interested to see how we handle the deadline if we are a point or two out of it, sitting in 10th-11th.
While I'm happy we are playing pretty well, we ALWAYS play well on the road in Eastern Conference, especially Northeast. Winning against Pitt would be huge, but I wanna see wins against Detroit, Vancouver, and Colorado before I say "we really can do this guys"

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:23 PM
melinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
While I'm happy we are playing pretty well, we ALWAYS play well on the road in Eastern Conference, especially Northeast. Winning against Pitt would be huge, but I wanna see wins against Detroit, Vancouver, and Colorado before I say "we really can do this guys"
I am confident we can beat Colorado every game, but any games vs Detroit and Vancouver feels like a fluke if we win.

I would be surprised if we make the playoffs this streak feels less like a fluke than the one early in the year but I still don't trust them.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:30 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
nah. gotta manage expectations.
we're going for that #11 pick.
Sonofa*****, you stole my line.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:53 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
I am confident we can beat Colorado every game, but any games vs Detroit and Vancouver feels like a fluke if we win.
They are a young team who is FAST as hell. Even Chicago had a tough time keeping up with them. We have a line that can skate with them. And Liles is playing out his mind this year. Duchene is going to be amazing in 2-3 years the way he's playing and I'm happy Paulie is an American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
I would be surprised if we make the playoffs this streak feels less like a fluke than the one early in the year but I still don't trust them.
The one thing we had an issue with JL is what I called the "December Slump" where we would always fall to the wayside during December early January timeframe and then we had to play catchup through February and March. 3 years ago, we didn't have a winning streak over 2 games I believe. Last year we had a couple that were 3 or 4. If we can at least get on a streak of 6 or 7 now, it will pay dividends later on in March when the race really gets tough. But you're right. I don't trust this yet either. Zanon says in Russo's article that the team finally is finding the identity under Richards system. I buy that 3/4 of the way. First line still is a massive concern and the bottom 6 pairing terrifies me. At this point, I almost wish Backstrom would go LTIR and then we go after Gagne and see what happens. $3M off the books on top of the $1M we have in cap space could mean bringing in a powerhouse, even if its just for the winter just to see if that is the issue we have or not. If we discover that its because our top line isn't fast enough for Koivu and that is what sparks it, then we know what to do in the offseason. If it doesn't work, then we know we need to do something else.

Old
01-08-2011, 08:01 PM
SlappyMcGee
=w=

While a lot of teams are slowing down, Minny's roaring up right now. It'll be interesting to see if they can hold it.

I say Yes, and on Theodore's bronzed shoulders.

SlappyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:42 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

If Minnesota wins tomorrow and Nashville loses, the Wild are in 4th.

Old
01-08-2011, 09:52 PM
pbunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
If Minnesota wins tomorrow and Nashville loses, the Wild are in 4th.
wild and 4th.. in the same sentence..ahhh

pbunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:54 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbunder View Post
wild and 4th.. in the same sentence..ahhh
Now just wait til we win 13 more games in a row and overtake Vancouver for first in the West.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Pepsi12pac

Sorry but the negativity on this board is highly annoying.

Pepsi12pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:24 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi12pac View Post
...and i find this board to be the most realistic in opinions than any other.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:33 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I think the board is pretty grounded in reality between a few negative nancies and ultimate homers who live in some sort of dream world.

Old
01-08-2011, 10:33 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
...and i find this board to be the most realistic in opinions than any other.

would you like us all going around saying we have a great chance to win the Cup?

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Fel 96
JFC

but..but..but lets not forget all the anti-jinx worked so far.

okay, almost all.

Old
01-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Serious opinion: Like I said in another thread, if the Wild keep playing like the last games, they might fight for a playoff spot.

Old
01-08-2011, 10:52 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
I spend $6K a year for Season Tickets and have traveled to other states to watch this team play. You better believe I want them to go to the playoffs dude. The issue is I'm a realist when it comes to my thinking, especially with this team. This state plauges itself with false hopes of Superbowls, World Series, and Stanley Cup aspirations every single year as if they forget there are 30 teams in every league doing the same thing as they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Serious opinion: Like I said in another thread, if the Wild keep playing like the last games, they might fight for a playoff spot.
What I'm waiting for is the rest of the conference to figure out things as many of these teams typically do. People need to keep in mind that 2 years ago STL was near the bottom of the conference and they made it up to around the 6th seed that year. Same thing can always happen this year as well.

Old
01-09-2011, 02:05 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
I have to say I am excited with the relatively new coach and GM and the core signed long term (c'mon Burns), to see these results and have confidence in the powers running the show takes one back a few years in terms of good mojo. I feel that the team is on the right track, which didn't seem the case even at the start of the season.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:30 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I have to say I am excited with the relatively new coach and GM and the core signed long term (c'mon Burns), to see these results and have confidence in the powers running the show takes one back a few years in terms of good mojo. I feel that the team is on the right track, which didn't seem the case even at the start of the season.
If you look at my posts before, I said 7th seed

Old
01-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bah, my big response got lost yesterday.

I have a feeling this team is overachieving, even if the team was underachieving early in the year. My gut tells me that we are about a 10-12 seed team, and this is due in large part to injuries (Latendresse, Zidlicky, and now possibly Backstrom). If fully healthy, the team SHOULD challenge for a playoff spot, though they would by no means be a favorite.

Until last night, most of the wins were ugly, a couple weird goals, holding on to leads with the trap and getting lucky. Those are the wins that a really good team would have during struggles, but when you're on a streak and getting those wins, I don't think you can keep them up.

A strong playoff team should have convincing wins over weaker opponents and play stronger opponents tight. Right now we're seeing the team playing well against strong opponents but letting up against the weak ones, even at home. This team needs to start playing well at home and getting more 2+ goal wins to really make a statement.

On the plus side, a lot of the players responsible for the streak are the core guys like Havlat, Koivu, Burns, Clutterbuck, Schultz, Bouchard, Brodziak. UFA's like Bruno, Kobasew, Madden, and Miettinen are playing a role, but they aren't central. That's very good news for the team going forward.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote