HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blues Rumors

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2004, 01:12 AM
Checker*

vCash: 500
Blues Rumors

This is courtesy of John Hadley at hadleyonsports.com

"DA BLUES: The 'Note are in legitimate discussions with Montreal and Ottawa. That noted, I am having difficulty nailing down the components of a deal.

Among the names, being discussed, is goalie Patrick Lalime along with virtually every center on the roster. The name Radek Bonk was broached with two contacts in Canada, however my local sources remain silent.

The key to the deal is Pavol Demitra; the Senators desire his offensive skill and relish his relationship with a few players on the team including Zdeno Chara and Marian Hossa.

In fact, sources indicate that Demitra, Hossa and Marian Gaborik will play for Dukla-Trencin if there is a lockout.

Montreal is also interest in Demitra.

There are a variety of branches on the rumor tree, which includes a possible three-way deal between the Blues and Senators and Montreal (goalie Mathieu Garon and Demitra the only common dominators in the various scenarios presented by sources).

Among the other teams the Blues have an open line with are Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Edmonton, Florida, New York Rangers, and Toronto.

My sources in Buffalo indicate the Blues were turned away regarding the possibility of dealing for Martin Biron.

While there is no question the Blues are interested in Dom Hasek, but remember he has already turned down St. Louis once (three years ago), and the fact remains (strong) sources in Detroit indicate that the Red Wings have a private agreement that he is headed to the Eastern Conference"

So let's see here. Lalime is a guy noted for being and excellent regular season player who disappoints in the playoffs. Sounds like the perfect fit for the Blues

Garon on the other hand would be nice to pick up and theatrics or not I hope the Blues go after Ribeiro.

Old
06-25-2004, 01:23 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Ribeiro and Garon for Demitra is a deal I think has serious potential.

Old
06-25-2004, 01:25 AM
Traitor8

I don't Ribeiro is going anywhere this season.

Old
06-25-2004, 01:41 AM
guitaraholic*

I don't see Montreal trading a native son in Ribeiro, either. I would suggest the following, however:

To Montreal: Demitra, Jamal Mayers, Matt Walker, 3rd in 2005.

To St.Louis: Garon, Jan Bulis, first in 2004.

Old
06-25-2004, 02:00 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
I don't see Montreal trading a native son in Ribeiro, either. I would suggest the following, however:

I haven't followed St. Louis much so I haven'ts een Mayers or Walker play a lot. From what I've read on TSN.ca they don't interest me that much.

Demitra on the other hand is a great player. I'd love to have him but I'm afraid his salary is too high and he's too injury prone. I'd rather try and land Kovalev.

Old
06-25-2004, 02:34 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I would jump all over that deal!

Old
06-25-2004, 03:31 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic

Thats a lot to be paid for expensive half-a-season rental player, couple role players and barely top 100 pick. Thanks, but no thanks.

Old
06-25-2004, 04:07 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
I would jump all over that deal!
I wouldn't. It's not an awful deal but there are other angles that makes it look a bit less obvious.

First Garon is an insurance policy in an eventual Theodore debacle. Before scoffing at such an idea people that lives in Mtl should consider all the distractions surrounding Theodore and tell me with a straight face that there's zero chance it affects his game.

Second the upgrade from Ribeiro to Demitra is not worth getting rid of that insurance while adding that much $.

We'd have to include another component in the deal, a salary dump of some sorts. Or the blues would have to qualify Demitra and resign him for at least 3-4 years and pay parts of his salary. Because I just don't see the habs dealing away small economical featherweights like Ribeiro and Garon while getting a big heavyweight like Demitra.

Besides a star like Demitra would probably bolt out of Mtl at the first occasion. And he'd get his chance in two years assuming the new CBA doesn't make it one.

Sure that would make us a better team now but that would be a shortsighted move and since we're not ready to win it all just yet it gives this deal some mega bust potential.

I'd rather sign one or two guys (Selanne, Simon) and fill a need by adding some size to our top six rather than bring in a guy like Demitra at the cost of Ribs and Garon. I just think there are much better and cheaper options out there for the habs. Demitra is awesome but the cost both in assets and money is too high for my liking.

I have to admit the idea of a Demitra-Koivu-Ryder line is exciting though.

Old
06-25-2004, 04:31 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
That certainly has its merits, but everything hinges on Demitras contract - its length and amount paid. Theres absolutely no way anyone deals for half season of player at 6.5M. But if Blues picked chunk of salary and got Pavols name on dotted line for, say two-three years (first year being additional year incase of lockout).

Ribeiro put a show last year and hes cheap young talent. The problem is Habs wont be going anywhere with both top 6 centermen seriously undersized. Also I have the feeling the stunt he pulled playoffs time rubbed Gainey the wrong way.

Ribs could be replaced internally, by either Plekanec or Higgins. Maybe they wont be quite as spectacular offensively, but they should make up the difference other ways, being solid physically and defensively.

Old
06-25-2004, 04:39 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²

First Garon is an insurance policy in an eventual Theodore debacle. Before scoffing at such an idea people that lives in Mtl should consider all the distractions surrounding Theodore and tell me with a straight face that there's zero chance it affects his game.

I have to admit the idea of a Demitra-Koivu-Ryder line is exciting though.
Theodore did pretty well this year, considering what is going on in his life. Point is Gainey made some moves to protect his players from media and some of the fans - supporting them vocally and booting rumour-mongering press out of their charter flights. I think we seen the worst... Ok this IS Montreal we're talking about.

Also if you're thinking Garon as his eventual replacements, when Theo moves to free agency pastures, consider hes only two years younger. Not much buffer there.

How about Hossa Demitra Zednik line?

Old
06-25-2004, 05:31 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Also if you're thinking Garon as his eventual replacements, when Theo moves to free agency pastures, consider hes only two years younger. Not much buffer there.
It's more qualifying him at 6M$ that worries me. I'm not sold about him being worth it until he backs it up in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
How about Hossa Demitra Zednik line?
Not bad

Old
06-25-2004, 05:49 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
It's more qualifying him at 6M$ that worries me. I'm not sold about him being worth it until he backs it up in the playoffs.
This is getting slightly out of topic...

Hopefully we have new bargaining agreement in place by then. If Theodore wants to sign for more than one year (despite everything I dont see why not), knowing he wont be better off elsewhere economically. Have patience, hes still very young in goaltender years, with little experience in playoffs. Certainly he was not the only player to blame for our losses to superior teams on their ways into Cup Finals.

Old
06-25-2004, 08:22 AM
BeaverSports

I'm not sure this Hadley guy has good sources, everything I've heard him say has been wishful speculation that hasn't been backed up by any other sources.

Can anyone think of anything he's been on the money with?

Old
06-25-2004, 08:53 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports
I'm not sure this Hadley guy has good sources, everything I've heard him say has been wishful speculation that hasn't been backed up by any other sources.

Can anyone think of anything he's been on the money with?
Tkachuk trade, Weight trade, Rucinsky signing, Lindros physical that he took in St. Louis prior to the Tkachuk trade, Barrasso signing, Hereema being claimed off waivers by the Blues, and he was the first to report the Burke to STL discussions lats year.

Closed Thread