HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal: Blues/Montrea

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2004, 07:02 PM
guitaraholic*

vCash: 500
Proposal: Blues/Montreal

To Montreal: Jay McClement, Matt Walker, 5th 2005

To St.Louis: Mathieu Garon, 3rd in 2004.

McClement is a solid checking line center prospect with some grit and speed who is near NHL ready. Walker is a big, physical dman.

Old
06-23-2004, 07:23 PM
goalienut

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic

McClement is a solid checking line center prospect with some grit and speed who is near NHL ready. Walker is a big, physical dman.
Pretty good deal for both teams.

Old
06-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic

Habs have Begin for their 4th line, the 3rd line spot will be filled either by our own prospect Plekanec or veteran checking line center from free agent markets - keeping Dowd or finding someone else.

Dont have any use whatsoever for Walker. They just let go Quintal, physical 6th dman who played right side, to clear room for Komisarek.

Habs will be looking for scoring help - especially if they cant keep Kovalev as seems to be the case, which is why I was interested in Demitra...

Old
06-23-2004, 07:38 PM
guitaraholic*

fair enough. It was just a thought.

I can see why Montreal would have interest in Demitra now that Kovalev appears to want to explore his options.

Old
06-24-2004, 12:03 AM
toughstuff

Mathieu Garon will, one day, be a great goalie.

He is surely worth an established NHL player or a 1st rounder IMO. In the absent of a similar offer, Garon is staying in MTL.

Old
06-24-2004, 12:14 AM
Kirk Muller

Garon looks poised to become a solid number one goalie.

Basically it breaks down to me as:

Garon > McClement
Montreal's 3rd > Walker and St. Louis 5th

Bottom line, I don't trade a goalie who is ready to step in as number one for a potential 3rd line checker. Simply poor asset management.

Old
06-24-2004, 01:32 AM
Street Hawk

Problem....

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughstuff
Mathieu Garon will, one day, be a great goalie.

He is surely worth an established NHL player or a 1st rounder IMO. In the absent of a similar offer, Garon is staying in MTL.
Only problem that I see is that he's not worth a high first rounder. Likely to get a 2nd rounder from LA, St. Louis and Rangers. You'd want roster players, so it's gotta be someone they'd be willing to deal. Too bad LA dumped Aulin for Carter and I could see that deal working out. Cammy is another small forward and I think the Habs want some size. Blues, maybe Cenja? Rangers, well they need to stay young, so who do they have that interests you? Anyone is available, expect for probably Fedor Tyutin, whom they really need.

Ottawa and Vancouver could role the dice with Garon, but if a deal for Kolzig could be worked out, where Olie reworks his deal to say get a 3rd year in there and transfer some of the 6.25 he gets in each of the next 2 years, he could head out of Washington. Does Olie no good to be there for a bad team for another 2 years, as either Ouellet or Stana will anchor the team when Ovechkin, Eminger, Morrisson, Semin, Gordon, etc. are ready to make a push for the playoffs.

Old
06-24-2004, 04:59 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk
Only problem that I see is that he's not worth a high first rounder. Likely to get a 2nd rounder from LA, St. Louis and Rangers. You'd want roster players, so it's gotta be someone they'd be willing to deal. Too bad LA dumped Aulin for Carter and I could see that deal working out. Cammy is another small forward and I think the Habs want some size. Blues, maybe Cenja? Rangers, well they need to stay young, so who do they have that interests you? Anyone is available, expect for probably Fedor Tyutin, whom they really need.

Ottawa and Vancouver could role the dice with Garon, but if a deal for Kolzig could be worked out, where Olie reworks his deal to say get a 3rd year in there and transfer some of the 6.25 he gets in each of the next 2 years, he could head out of Washington. Does Olie no good to be there for a bad team for another 2 years, as either Ouellet or Stana will anchor the team when Ovechkin, Eminger, Morrisson, Semin, Gordon, etc. are ready to make a push for the playoffs.
Heres my 2...4... 12 cents.

LA - Carter deal worked out for Kings? He had only measly one assist in 15 games, doesnt seem like a good adjustment, certainly not a player near the top of their totem pole. Actually Carter might be the roster player interesting Habs party most. Top six forward with got decent size and right shot - not terribly overpaid, if he bounced back from this year.

Only trouble is hes 30 yo, year away UFAsy - would be nice to have an asset that stayed with the team for longer, expecially if the next season is shortened by lockout. Kings fans, thoughts?

STL - Demitra is the odd man out.

Ottawa - Sens want cup next year, they want someone with more playoffs exp.

Vancouver - they just qualified Cloutier, meaning they will propably stick with him another season.

Rangers - I really dont see any roster player interesting me, except I want Balej back *ducks for cover*

Caps - Kolzig isnt going anywhere - it was said somewhere on these boards he has sick kid getting treatment somewhere D.C. and Olaf has no trade clause on his contract. I would love to get Halpern - but that team being so depleted in center position I doubt they would be willing to yield.

Old
06-24-2004, 08:28 AM
spiderman

Garon

If montreal was looking to trade garon which could be a possiblility with the young depth that they have at goalie. Would Edmonton be willing to take a chance at him, maybe for someone like Jason smith. Maybe it could be a bigger trade with the two main parts being Garon and Smith. Montreal needs a rugged d-man and Edmonton could use a potential number 1 goalie.

Personally being a monteal fan and seeing Garon and theadore play, If I was GM I would try and move theadore for a big winger to play with Koivu. How would that sound?

Old
06-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Heres my 2...4... 12 cents.

LA - Carter deal worked out for Kings? He had only measly one assist in 15 games, doesnt seem like a good adjustment, certainly not a player near the top of their totem pole. Actually Carter might be the roster player interesting Habs party most. Top six forward with got decent size and right shot - not terribly overpaid, if he bounced back from this year.

Only trouble is hes 30 yo, year away UFAsy - would be nice to have an asset that stayed with the team for longer, expecially if the next season is shortened by lockout. Kings fans, thoughts?

STL - Demitra is the odd man out.

Ottawa - Sens want cup next year, they want someone with more playoffs exp.

Vancouver - they just qualified Cloutier, meaning they will propably stick with him another season.

Rangers - I really dont see any roster player interesting me, except I want Balej back *ducks for cover*

Caps - Kolzig isnt going anywhere - it was said somewhere on these boards he has sick kid getting treatment somewhere D.C. and Olaf has no trade clause on his contract. I would love to get Halpern - but that team being so depleted in center position I doubt they would be willing to yield.
I think he ment, a deal could have been worked out for Aulin. Carter was a flop...

Old
06-24-2004, 08:50 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman
If montreal was looking to trade garon which could be a possiblility with the young depth that they have at goalie. Would Edmonton be willing to take a chance at him, maybe for someone like Jason smith. Maybe it could be a bigger trade with the two main parts being Garon and Smith. Montreal needs a rugged d-man and Edmonton could use a potential number 1 goalie.

Personally being a monteal fan and seeing Garon and theadore play, If I was GM I would try and move theadore for a big winger to play with Koivu. How would that sound?
Montreal is just about to add that rugged dman in Komisarek to the right side. Besides they have a much bigger need in top 6 winger who has little decent size (doesnt have to be PF even)

I dont know if the following would be final solution, but I would suggest:

Rita + 14th for Garon + 18th.

Theodore makes too much $$$. It would be much more difficult to get his worth from trade markets right now, before CBA tussle is over. Might aswell play him.

Old
06-24-2004, 09:49 AM
toughstuff

Quote:
If montreal was looking to trade garon which could be a possiblility with the young depth that they have at goalie.
Young unproven depth that is ...

Quote:
Would Edmonton be willing to take a chance at him,
Garon and Conklin both played in Hamilton and both shared (50/50) game duties. They pretty much had the same stats. Garon more upside but Conklin was successful last year. Edmonton might want to test Conklin longer before taking chance on someone else.

Quote:
maybe for someone like Jason smith.
Wow Smith is a good player. Somewhat up in age and expensive but a good player.

Quote:
Maybe it could be a bigger trade
I would love a package involving Garon and RYAN Smith

Quote:
I also think that we should trade Theo instead of Garon ... if we are to trade one of the goalies. In any case if we do trade one of them we must obtain the best player in the trade. No more Roy trades.

Old
06-24-2004, 07:22 PM
trublu16

Garon??

As a Blues fan, I would do the above trade, but would not be happy with losing Walker. But we have the Physical D-Men in Jackman/Salvy/Prongs, so definitely Walker is the odd one out. But from the 3 games I personally saw Garon play on ESPN, he appeared to be a solid goalie. But would definitely give McClement and a 4th for Garon, especially with Calgary just gave up a 2nd for Kipper. But just my 2 cents worth!

Old
06-24-2004, 07:33 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Montreal is just about to add that rugged dman in Komisarek to the right side. Besides they have a much bigger need in top 6 winger who has little decent size (doesnt have to be PF even)

I dont know if the following would be final solution, but I would suggest:

Rita + 14th for Garon + 18th.
Now I can understand where you are coming from when saying Montreal is now filled with rugged stay-at-home defencemen. But refusing to get Jason Smith in a deal for Garon would be plain stupid IMO. Garon is ready to take on #1 status in the NHL... he won't be behind Theodore forever, and Gainey already expressed at the end of the season he wasn't even considering offers for the 2002 Hart & Vezina Trophy winner. If you have the chance to get a very solid defensive defenceman like Smith, who has experience, leadership, who's awesome defensively, who can play on the PK unit and blocks shots, why would you refuse this deal? If anything, Garon may become a solid starting goalthender, but at least it won't be in the Eastern Conference. Mathieu won't accept playing the back-up role (with 1 game per 2 weeks) for too long now.

Garon knows that and Gainey knows it pretty well too.

Old
06-25-2004, 04:48 AM
Marksman

HiggsFan, if Habs acquired Smith, another right shot defenceman, what would you do with Komisarek? He would be the odd man out. Send him back to Hamilton? Put him into stands? Trade him?

Old
06-25-2004, 07:50 AM
spiderman

If montreal did aquire smith, then thier would be still room for komisarek. They just let quintel walk, so they would have Sourey, Smith, Komisarek, Rivet, Markov, Brisebois.

So they do have room to aquire Smith and maybe if they Ate part of Rivet's and Brisebois's contracts they could move them and use the Young d-men in Hamilton.

Closed Thread