HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expiring Contracts & July 1st

Old
01-01-2011, 01:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Expiring Contracts & July 1st

We're currently at the approximate mid-way point of the regular season. I was glancing at capgeek and got reminded how many UFAs and RFAs we have left to sign for next year.

You can find details @ capgeek.

We have $25,313,691(it will likely go up as always) leftover to sign the players below.

RFA list(Currently on roster):

Andrei Kostitsyn
Beniot Pouliot
Max Pacioretty
Tom Pyatt
David Desharnais

Josh Gorges
Yannick Weber
Alexandre Picard
Brett Festerling

RFA list(Currently in minors):

Ben Maxwell
Ryan White
Dustin Boyd
J.T. Wyman
Ryan Russel

Mathieu Carle
Kyle Klubertanz
Frédéric St-Denis

UFA list:

Jeff Halpern
Mathieu Darche

Andrei Markov
Roman Hamrlik
Hal Gill
James Wisniewski

Alex Auld
Curtis Sanford(minors)

The questions are easy.

Who do we expect to let go?
Who do we expect to keep and at what price?
How much cap will we have leftover(estimate)?

That's not all, with only 2 D signed, aging UFAs(Hamrlik & Gill), arguably injury-prone UFA(Markov), RFAs and other UFAs, is it possible we see a turnover on the blueline?

It is somewhat 'early' but for the sake of discussion I made the thread. It's always good to look at how we evaluate our assets at the first half of the year and then we can look back and see after the 2nd half. This thread is more about the general outlook of the team going forward rather than a specific player or specific position.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:58 PM
clarke19

vCash: 500
I'd like for us to bring more energy and speed to our D-core. I think Wisniewski is a great guy to retain seeing as he is just coming into his prime and can be a solid player for years to come.

I've always liked Hammer and Gill, and thought they stepped it up when the going gets tough, but they aren't the future, and in an offseason like this where we are going to have a lot of money to play with, they need to be set loose.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:03 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

IMO, Picard is gone (welcome to Fester!), so is Halpern (there will be an equivalent PG can find this summer for cheap!).

Auld is probably gone too, as for Sanford, depends on kids progression.

Dont know about Gill and Hammer, guess it will depends on Markov recovery, rooks developpement (both Weber and Subban), and the possibility to re-sign Wiz.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
IMO, Picard is gone (welcome to Fester!), so is Halpern (there will be an equivalent PG can find this summer for cheap!).

Auld is probably gone too, as for Sanford, depends on kids progression.

Dont know about Gill and Hammer, guess it will depends on Markov recovery, rooks developpement (both Weber and Subban), and the possibility to re-sign Wiz.
We need to focus on re-shaping our D in the off-season and getting some more size up front. With Markov, Subban, Gorges, Wiz, Weber and Gill, that is a solid group of defensemen. Unfortunately we have Spacek too. If we really want to get better at the back, we need to get a physical top 2 or top 4 defenseman to complement these guys. Wiz could be that guy but I think we need one more. Gill is a 3rd pairing guy but next year Subban has to be a top 4 guy so I see us with:

Markov - Wiz
[ ] - Subban
Gill - Gorges
Weber

We could shift Wiz to the left to play with Subban, play Gorges with Markov and Gill with Weber, but I really like the look of Markov and Wiz. Find that top 4 guy (I hope we don't have to slot Spacek in there) who is big, physical and intimidating and we have a great D core next year.

Then focus on getting some size up front. We have plenty of rookies who should get full-time positions who should allow us to spend on some power forwards but I don't know who's available.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:16 PM
clarke19

You might be forgetting that Markov was going to be out a full year at least with his latest injury and he won't be ready to start next season.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:17 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
We need to focus on re-shaping our D in the off-season and getting some more size up front. With Markov, Subban, Gorges, Wiz, Weber and Gill, that is a solid group of defensemen. Unfortunately we have Spacek too. If we really want to get better at the back, we need to get a physical top 2 or top 4 defenseman to complement these guys. Wiz could be that guy but I think we need one more. Gill is a 3rd pairing guy but next year Subban has to be a top 4 guy so I see us with:

Markov - Wiz
[ ] - Subban
Gill - Gorges
Weber

We could shift Wiz to the left to play with Subban, play Gorges with Markov and Gill with Weber, but I really like the look of Markov and Wiz. Find that top 4 guy (I hope we don't have to slot Spacek in there) who is big, physical and intimidating and we have a great D core next year.

Then focus on getting some size up front. We have plenty of rookies who should get full-time positions who should allow us to spend on some power forwards but I don't know who's available.
that's why I said it depends... for all we know Wiz may not be interested at all in re-signing with us, just like Markov recovery could go bad enough for him to be a borderline top4...

huh, no he doesnt, all Subban as to do is worry about his own developpement, if he developped enough to play top 4 fine, if not he'll be on the 3rd pair... I see no problem with that, he's no Bobby Orr, so what if it takes him a few years before becoming a regular on the top4 ???

Old
01-01-2011, 02:21 PM
danyhabsfan

Sign Wisniewski and a UFA defenseman (Erhoff, Kaberle, Jovanovski, Pitkanen)

UFA defenseman
Wisniewski
Gorges
Subban
Spacek
Weber

Id trade Spacek but it doesnt seem realistic. Id try to sign a physical defenseman like Mark Stuart. We could also sign Gill if he accepts a pay cut and a smaller role.

Id try to sign Markov if he comes cheap.

At forward, Id try to sign a good winger to play in our top 6 a la Semin, Hedjuk and try to sign a winger for our 3rd line that could play top 6 at times. (Upshall, Leino)

Trade AK to move up at the draft if we think we can sign a UFA to replace him.

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Hedjuk/Semin (AK if we cant sign nobody)
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Leino/Upshall - Eller- Pouliot
Moen - Pyatt - White

UFA defenseman - Wisniewski
Gorges - Subban
Spacek/Stuart - Weber

Markov could take Weber out of the lineup if he signs cheap or Hal Gill could take 6th/7th spot.

Maybe Brendon Nash is NHL ready by next season, he's really good in Hamilton.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post

UFA defenseman
Wisniewski
Gorges
Subban
Spacek
Weber

Id trade Spacek but it doesnt seem realistic. Id try to sign a physical defenseman like Mark Stuart. We could also sign Gill if he accepts a pay cut and a smaller role.

At forward, Id try to sign a good winger to play in our top 6 a la Semin, Hedjuk and try to sign a winger for our 3rd line that could play top 6 at times. (Upshall, Leino)

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Moen - Pyatt - White

Gorges - Subban
Spacek/Stuart - Weber

Markov could take Weber out of the lineup if he signs cheap or Hal Gill could take 6th/7th spot.

that D is way too soft. We really need to address size at the back. Stuart on a bottom pair isn't really going to change that.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:37 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post

UFA defenseman
Wisniewski
Gorges
Subban
Spacek
Weber

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Moen - Pyatt - White

Gorges - Subban
Spacek/Stuart - Weber

dont think Van lets Erhoff go. Good shot @ Kaberle I think, he and Pleks are good friends but then again, he might hate the Habs. Even though Bieksa seems to have some brain cramps, Id take a further look at him. He could add some well needed toughness. God If there could onle be a way to trade Spacek, even if they trade him for another bum @ the end of the year and buy that guy out.

Please no Semin, u dont win with guys like that in the playoffs. Leino would be great but seems like he will sign with Philly again.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
that D is way too soft. We really need to address size at the back. Stuart on a bottom pair isn't really going to change that.
Subs is a hitter, Wiz can be and Stuart is a physical guy. 1 physical guy per pairing is good.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
We're currently at the approximate mid-way point of the regular season. I was glancing at capgeek and got reminded how many UFAs and RFAs we have left to sign for next year.

You can find details @ capgeek.

We have $25,313,691(it will likely go up as always) leftover to sign the players below.

RFA list(Currently on roster):

Andrei Kostitsyn
Beniot Pouliot
Max Pacioretty
Tom Pyatt
David Desharnais

Josh Gorges
Yannick Weber
Alexandre Picard
Brett Festerling

RFA list(Currently in minors):

Ben Maxwell
Ryan White
Dustin Boyd
J.T. Wyman
Ryan Russel

Mathieu Carle
Kyle Klubertanz
Frédéric St-Denis

UFA list:

Jeff Halpern
Mathieu Darche

Andrei Markov
Roman Hamrlik
Hal Gill
James Wisniewski

Alex Auld
Curtis Sanford(minors)

The questions are easy.

Who do we expect to let go?
Who do we expect to keep and at what price?
How much cap will we have leftover(estimate)?

That's not all, with only 2 D signed, aging UFAs(Hamrlik & Gill), arguably injury-prone UFA(Markov), RFAs and other UFAs, is it possible we see a turnover on the blueline?

It is somewhat 'early' but for the sake of discussion I made the thread. It's always good to look at how we evaluate our assets at the first half of the year and then we can look back and see after the 2nd half. This thread is more about the general outlook of the team going forward rather than a specific player or specific position.
I doubt AK will be on the team in 2011. He's just not a good fit on this team, despite his obvious talent. I'm confident that PG will be able to make Ruutu for Ladd type deal (two top picks who were struggling) before the beginning of next year at least. I'd personally like to see it happen during this season, but beggars can't be choosers.

Pouliot has a better chance of staying because he's shown an ability to be useful at times on bottom lines. That coupled with his cheap price tag will probably keep him a Hab next year. That said, if he continues to be a soft player (imo) i wouldn't be surprised in the least if they part ways with him as well.

Maxpac and Pyatt will stay; If Desharnais plays Martin hockey, he'll stay too. Gorges, Weber in; Picard and Festerling i'm not sure. Wisniewski will stay; If Hammer is willing to take a big paycut he'll stay (like 3M per); they'll re-sign Gill. Markov i doubt will be back--but i'm saying that because it's too hard to predict what will happen to him: easier to just assume he wont be back. I think they'll keep one of Halpern and Darche. Auld won't be back probably.

For the minor-league guys, impossible to tell really.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:15 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I hear we may see a big jump in the cap this summer, so it will be interesting to see what the team can do if so. I wonder if the reports that Spacek was considering retirement were true, we'd still be on the hook for his cap hit but it's something to keep in mind.

There's also the 500K hit on the last year of BGL's buyout.

I'm interested to see what they do with the goalies, I'm a huge fan of Sanford for the Dogs but even making 200K in the AHL, I wonder if he would come back or not. Same for Auld, as I'd be happy to have him back at the same price but who knows if he is happy with such little playing time. Then there's Ramo, and if he will come over or not. So after Price there's a lot of question marks in net going forward. I don't see any of Mayer, Delmas and Simila being the answers.

In addition, whatever moves the Habs make, they are going to need to keep enough room for Price who will be an RFA at the end of next season and if he keeps up this level of play he will likely cost a good bit of cap space.

Defense is the big concern. It starts and ends with Markov since he's one of the best in the league. But they will need to be careful, as the knee injuries are going to take their toll on his game, as long as they can lock him up for a decent amount it's worth the gamble as he means so much to our team.

If the Wiz fits into the system well enough and can be re-signed at a fair price, having Markov, Subban, Wiz and Gorges is a start. Perhaps they can bring over Emelin as the 7th D. Sounds like Gill might be back, I have no problem if he is despite how slow he is, as long as the money is right and not more then 2 years as we need him for the playoffs. Lots of interesting questions as to what the D will look like next year.

In Hamilton with Henry, Nash, St-Denis, Festerling (unless he's good enough to be a 7th D in the NHL, don't know much about him yet) that should be a solid group. Carle I'd be happy to have back with the Dogs, Stejskal perhaps could be there as well. Either way I would think the Habs will be looking to invite some CHL overagers or undrafted NCAAers to provide some additional depth unless Klubertanz, Urquhart, Bisaillon, Peturic are brought back.

Forwards the Habs will have some tough questions as Pac, Desharnais, White, Maxwell all need to clear waivers to be sent down.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Richiebottles
S L O W | M A G I C

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
RFA list(Currently on roster)

Andrei Kostitsyn(Traded or Resigns Cheap)
Beniot Pouliot(He is gone we can find a replacement)
Max Pacioretty(Depends if he proves his worth)
Tom Pyatt(Man i hope i don't see him , Ryan White and a bunch of other people on the farm can replace him)
David Desharnais(It finally looks like he got his shot, If he is useful he stays if not we walks)

Josh Gorges(Resign him to a 3 to 4 million dollar contract)
Yannick Weber(Sign him to a 1 to 2 million dollar contract depending on his play)
Alexandre Picard(Replaceable he is taking up space that can be used by someone on the farm)
Brett Festerling(Don't really know much about him but he could stay in the AHL or play as the 7th D-Man)

RFA list(Currently in minors)

Ben Maxwell(I really don't know about this guys . I think that we could fill a good bottom 6 role with a little offensive upside)
Ryan White(KEEP KEEP KEEP! One of my favorite players in Hamilton. He can hit/fight and can pot a few goals. Great bottom 6 player)
Dustin Boyd(On Waivers twice . He deserves a shot somewhere but not in montreal)
J.T. Wyman(Walks)
Ryan Russel(Walks)

Mathieu Carle(Good 7th D-man. If not stays in the AHL)
Kyle Klubertanz(Resigns to a cheap AHL contract)
Frédéric St-Denis(Resigns to a cheap AHL contract)

UFA list

Jeff Halpern(Gone, We can find a replacement for him)
Mathieu Darche(Kept as a bottom 6 players or if we wants to much $ replaced by a Hamilton player)

Andrei Markov(Injury prone, Depends on how he recovers but i think we will resign him cheap to a 1 or 2 year contract and if not we go after Kaberle)
Roman Hamrlik(Slow but still adds something to the D , Resigns to a 1 year 2 million contract)
Hal Gill(Too slow , pass)
James Wisniewski(YES YES ! Resign this guy, he is young has good Offensive and is also decent on D . We will sign a contract in the 4-4.5 million region)

Alex Auld(Gone. Replaced by Ramo or Sanford)
Curtis Sanford(minors)(If Ramo stays in Europe he back-ups price)

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:44 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
RFA list(Currently on roster)

Andrei Kostitsyn(Traded or Resigns Cheap)
Beniot Pouliot(He is gone we can find a replacement)
Max Pacioretty(Depends if he proves his worth)
Tom Pyatt(Man i hope i don't see him , Ryan White and a bunch of other people on the farm can replace him)
David Desharnais(It finally looks like he got his shot, If he is useful he stays if not we walks)

Josh Gorges(Resign him to a 3 to 4 million dollar contract)
Yannick Weber(Sign him to a 1 to 2 million dollar contract depending on his play)
Alexandre Picard(Replaceable he is taking up space that can be used by someone on the farm)
Brett Festerling(Don't really know much about him but he could stay in the AHL or play as the 7th D-Man)

RFA list(Currently in minors)

Ben Maxwell(I really don't know about this guys . I think that we could fill a good bottom 6 role with a little offensive upside)
Does what you're on need a prescription?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Richiebottles
S L O W | M A G I C

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Does what you're on need a prescription?
I don't get your point can you be less clear please ?

Old
01-01-2011, 03:59 PM
TheBuriedHab

Biggest thing I want to improve is mobility on Defense. I'd Keep wiz at around 4-4.5 mill a year. Let hamrlik walk. Picard gone. Gill is a tough one for me. I love his leadership,Pk and how good he is in the playoffs. I'd be inclined to keep him another year around the same price. Gorges I give him 2.5-3 million for 2 years. Weber is iffy, maybe deal him in the summer.

Markov, that is the big question, I don't give him a penny more than 3 million. You just can't count on the guy.

I'd like to keep 7 million open for the blueline so we can get 1 bigtime defenseman if they want to come. IE Erhoff, Kaberle, Pitkanen

Forwards I let halpern go, Pouliot is gone. AK I resign him to around the same cap hit for 1 year. Patches, gets a qualifying offer. Desharnais too. Keep White, Maxwell I could care less about, keep him on the farm if needed. Basically I'd like to see White get a spot on the fourth line, Darche stays, get another Halpern type.

I'd like 5 million open for one more top 6 forward spot.

Auld PEACE, get another backup at the minumum.

I don't know how my numbers match up with the cap but thats my ideal plan.

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($0.910m) Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m)/ Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.550m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.500m) /Lars Eller ($1.270m) / David Desharnais ($0.950m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.500m) /Ryan White ($0.850m) / Travis Moen ($1.500m)
UFA 4th liner ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
P.K. Subban ($0.875m) / UFA ($6m)
James Wisniewski ($4.250m) / Hal Gill ($1.250m)
Josh Gorges ($2.500m) Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)
Yannick Weber ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) /Curtis Sanford ($0.550m)

Thats all for a cap hit about 57 mill. if cap goes up to something like 63 million we have an extra 6 million to either spend on a top 6, Save it or we can sign markov.

Last edited by TheBuriedHab: 01-01-2011 at 04:28 PM.
TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:08 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I don't get your point can you be less clear please ?
You would give yannick weber 1-2 million? He hasn't done a thing at the nhl level yet. He's not a fixture on OUR blue line (our defense sucks) and so far has not even begun to translate his offensive success to the big leagues.

Josh Gorges (although i love him) isn't really a physical threat on our blue line, has no offense to him and isn't good enough at clearing people from the crease. You'd give him 3-4 million?

Yet you'd not resign patches if he 'doesn't show his worth' ? He's 2 months younger than weber and has shown way more promise in the capacity as a hard-nosed, corner-digging top six forward, a capacity, i'd remind you, that the habs lack way more than whatever it is we hope weber to bring.

again, i like all these players, but your numbers are insane.

and maxwell in a botton six role? The guys a powderpuff. Having small, slightly offensively dangerous forwards in our bottom six is what we need to change in the team culture.

Old
01-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Richiebottles
S L O W | M A G I C

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You would give yannick weber 1-2 million? He hasn't done a thing at the nhl level yet. He's not a fixture on OUR blue line (our defense sucks) and so far has not even begun to translate his offensive success to the big leagues.

Josh Gorges (although i love him) isn't really a physical threat on our blue line, has no offense to him and isn't good enough at clearing people from the crease. You'd give him 3-4 million?

Yet you'd not resign patches if he 'doesn't show his worth' ? He's 2 months younger than weber and has shown way more promise in the capacity as a hard-nosed, corner-digging top six forward, a capacity, i'd remind you, that the habs lack way more than whatever it is we hope weber to bring.

again, i like all these players, but your numbers are insane.

and maxwell in a botton six role? The guys a powderpuff. Having small, slightly offensively dangerous forwards in our bottom six is what we need to change in the team culture.
Weber, Yannick » EL + $875,000 : He is going to get 1 million if he signs
Gorges, Josh » $1,100,000: He is going to get 2 million at least !

And about Patches . So you are telling me that you want to keep a guy who has ¨Potential¨ and has not show anything to be an NHL'er until this year . I mean i want to hang on to our prospects but listen if they aren't producing cut them loose. And as for maxwell may i ask you the simple question of where does he fit in out top 6 ? I rest my case.

Old
01-01-2011, 04:29 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:

And about Patches . So you are telling me that you want to keep a guy who has ¨Potential¨ and has not show anything to be an NHL'er until this year . I mean i want to hang on to our prospects but listen if they aren't producing cut them loose. And as for maxwell may i ask you the simple question of where does he fit in out top 6 ? I rest my case.
We aren't cutting Patches loose, are you crazy? Hes getting A QO without a doubt lol.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Mue

Quote:
875 000 is his cap hit with bonuses factored in. His base salary is 637 500; this is the amount used to determine his qualifying offer.

If Weber sticks for the rest of the season I can see a deal similar to Pyatt's - he will leave money on the table accepting NHL min in exchange for a one-way deal.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:31 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:

how about : he doesnt fit, AT ALL. ?

Old
01-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Richiebottles
S L O W | M A G I C

Quote:
how about : he doesnt fit, AT ALL. ?
That is my point. Why would we keep him . He obviously isn't in the Habs future plans.

Old
01-01-2011, 04:38 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
That is my point. Why would we keep him . He obviously isn't in the Habs future plans.
and yet you were ready to give him a role (he isnt suited for) on the bottom 6 ? ?

Old
01-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Richiebottles
S L O W | M A G I C

Quote:
and yet you were ready to give him a role (he isnt suited for) on the bottom 6 ? ?
I am trying to give the guy a chance. LEAVE BENJAMIN ALONE ! I AM SERIOUS RIGHT NOW !

Old
01-01-2011, 04:45 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

some people have already picked apart your post, but just to re-iterate.

Yes, i would definitely keep patches because of his 'potential'. Like I said, he's shown great things this season since his call up and looks like an nhl'er. Wouldn't you agree? You say that patches only has 'potential' and hasn't showed anything yet but weber has and deserves 1-2 million?

and maxwell has no place in our lineup at all. why would you insinuate that i said that he had a place in our top 6?