The Goal Scorers
Boston:
Horton (12)
Savard (2)

Toronto:
Grabovski (13)

The “+/=”

The Positives:

Tuukka Rask gains a W, and some confidence.
-Tuukka Rask who was 2-7-1 going into tonight’s matchup, saved 35 of the 36 shots he faced. Bruins teammates, coaches, and fans got to see a glimmer of the Tuukka Rask of last year as he shut down former teammate Phil Kessel on many chances. Tuukka is now 3-7-1 and will hopefully remain as steady as we saw tonight.

Horton Breaks a 9 game goalless streak.

-Nathan Horton, who has not seen a goal since December 11th vs. the Philadelphia Flyers, snapped his goalless streak when he beat netminder James Riemer at 7:56 of the 2nd period.

Marc Savard Breaks a 7 game goalless streak.

-Marc Savard, who has not seen a goal since December 16th vs the Montreal Canadiens, snapped his goalless streak when he scored the game winning goal at 15:30 of the second.

Gregory Campbell’s health.

-Bruins “merlot” line saw the return of its gritty center after he missed two games with “flu like symptoms”. The Fourth liner saw 7:54 seconds of ice time, and had zero shots on goal. Though not his best game (and rightfully so!) Campbell is a great addition to the fourth line and it is great to see him back on the ice. His return is a step in the right direction for him and the other energy line members. Their chemistry has been missed over the last stretch of games first losing Marchand, and then Campbell, but for now they have been reunited.

Seguin’s Ice Time
Just when it seemed like Julien was not going to give the kid ample TOI, he grants him over 14:00 of ice time in Toronto, where Seguin calls “home”.

***Phil Kessel is still goalless in 9 games vs the Bruins and the Maple Leafs have only won 3 of the last 14 meetings against the Bruins.***

The Negatives.

Milan Lucic remains goalless for 7 games.
Though Milan’s line mates returned to good graces in today’s matchup, Lucic will have to put his best foot forward and hope to snap his goal drought against the Wild at home on Thursday.

Mark Recchi’s untimely line change.
Made a pass to Seguin, then went for the line change. As he left the ice toward the bench, Grabovski stole the puck and used his speed to beat Rask and give the Leafs a first period 1-0 lead.

Give or Take a few…

-Boston had 13 giveaways in 60 minutes of play. Krejci had 2, Thornton had 1, and the rest were shared by Chara, Seidenburg, Boychuk, and Ference.
-Boston had 5 take-aways, scattered between Krejci, Bergeron, and Seguin.

Face-Offs
Gregory Campbell-33%
Patrice Bergeron-46%
Marc Savard-25%
David Krejci- 56%

The outtakes:

Tuukka Rask and a Referee shared a laugh in the third as the Ref has to fix Tuukka’s helmet after Seidenburg kicked Tuukka in the head getting back to the net on defense.

The Three Stars:
1. Tuukka Rask
2. James Remier
3. Nathan Horton

LoneWolf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:43 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

vCash: 500
awesome post lonewolf

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:53 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf54 View Post
Give or Take a few…[/B]
-Boston had 13 giveaways in 60 minutes of play. Krejci had 2, Thornton had 1, and the rest were shared by Chara, Seidenburg, Boychuk, and Ference.
-Boston had 5 take-aways, scattered between Krejci, Bergeron, and Seguin.
Great post.

Also, funny how in another thread a poster was saying how Seguin seemed scared to take a hit tonight, giving the puck away in the corner to avoid contact. That's a textbook "giveaway," no? Yet he isn't credited with any giveaways, and is credited with a takeaway.

Hmm.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days

Thought Looch got an assist on the Savard goal

Grasshopperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Mione134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopperking View Post
Thought Looch got an assist on the Savard goal

Mione134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
misread

Grasshopperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 05:17 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Negative Nancy here... Didn't like that WIN at all. An awful first period, a strong second one and then an " on their heels " 3rd. This team is pi****** me off with their, sometimes, 20 or 40 min effort. I really don't know what the coaching staff can do or say to make this group of players to get it. This inconistency will kill us, soon or later. Now, regarding Rask. For me, it's a " three time a Tuukka "performance. A " hmmmm " first period, a " the mojo seem to be back " second period and a " vintage " 3rd period. I'm not fully convinced at this point. All in all, it's another 2 points in the bank but i'm definitely concern on how quickly this team falled into their bad habits again.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 05:36 AM
Mione134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Negative Nancy here... Didn't like that WIN at all. An awful first period, a strong second one and then an " on their heels " 3rd. This team is pi****** me off with their, sometimes, 20 or 40 min effort. I really don't know what the coaching staff can do or say to make this group of players to get it. This inconistency will kill us, soon or later. Now, regarding Rask. For me, it's a " three time a Tuukka "performance. A " hmmmm " first period, a " the mojo seem to be back " second period and a " vintage " 3rd period. I'm not fully convinced at this point. All in all, it's another 2 points in the bank but i'm definitely concern on how quickly this team falled into their bad habits again.
Agreed.

a win is a win but..we should be wiping the floor with toronto not barely winning against them.

Old
01-04-2011, 05:45 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
It's not that you're a Negative Nancey, it's just you being objective which is what is welcomed around here. And if it's not then call me Debbie Downer because it's my turn!

Couple things I likes: The top line finally started to produce with all that O-zone pressure. Rask had a great response game but I want to see him get another one, he needs to string a couple consistent efforts together. Seguin I felt had a real good game and seems poised to take another step in the right direction in year one.

Couple of things I didn't like: Recchi's untimely line change. He needs to get some nights off here and there to rest those 43 year old legs. Seids - Boychuk pairing is terrible with the puck in their own end. Bergeron's waning seconds faceoff: he tried to win it clean, get down on a knee and smother it, punch it out with a hand do whatever you can to tie up the puck for the 2+ seconds. This is his second mental lapse in as many nights during the closing minutes of a game, one cost us the game, this one cost us a shot. This is his bread and butter and he's not using his melon.

All and all I wasn't impressed with the win, the boys didn't bring their skating game, weren't physical enough, and made poor decision the 1st and 3rd periods exiting their zone, in the neutral zone, and gaining the O-zone. The offense was too spread, you can often see when this team struggles the passes they are trying to make are upwards of 40-60ft passes, when they excel they make 3-5 quick 5-15ft passes and carry speed through all 3 zones.

Not a horrible game, but there are some concerning trends that are starting to creep back into their game for whatever reason.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:41 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Agreed.

a win is a win but..we should be wiping the floor with toronto not barely winning against them.
Phil was exhausted after the game...

Old
01-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

vCash: 50
Phil had his chances and made Seidenberg look silly on many occasions, but was denied yet again.

Nice to see Rask steal a game and FINALLY get a W!

Seguin – Looked good and I was glad to see him move up to the 3rd line by the end of the game.

I wish Julien would try Marchand / Bergeron / Seguin though…..especially when Rex looked tired in the 3rd.

Greek_physique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
Phil had his chances and made Seidenberg look silly on many occasions, but was denied yet again.

Nice to see Rask steal a game and FINALLY get a W!

Seguin – Looked good and I was glad to see him move up to the 3rd line by the end of the game.

I wish Julien would try Marchand / Bergeron / Seguin though…..especially when Rex looked tired in the 3rd.
Agreed. Seidenberg had a rough night in TO. But this game, like many others, clearly showed our overall lack of speed. Grabovski and Kessel gave to our D-man a ride for their money. I would like to see Bergeron with Seguin and Marchand. for one, Seguin had a very strong game, last night too. It's the beginning of the end of the road for Rex...

Old
01-04-2011, 07:17 AM
sooshii
Living the dream

vCash: 50
HackswithHaggs Joe Haggerty
Quote:
#Bruins were cranking this in dressing room after tonight's win over Maple Leafs in Toronto...hilarious
6 hours ago
[I deleted link cause it's NSFW in a PG kinda way - it's the SNL song (feat. Akon)]

sooshii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Mione134

Quote:
Phil was exhausted after the game...

It happens.

Old
01-04-2011, 07:31 AM
LoneWolf54
Relocated.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Anyway, I AGREE, we should have one this game A lot to a little or less, but I do have to say it was hard for me to find negatives in this game upon writing this. I mean, the negatives column could say "Kessel had a hattrick" or "Remier posts a shutout" or "Bruins player x is done for the season after Leafs blah blah blah" and it doesn't. Im sure there are little things I could take from the game and put in the negative column that I over looked but it was hard for me to find a NOTICEABLE negative for the column, which has to be a good thing.

The positives were EASY. And theres a lot more I could have done. Taking 8 out of 10 on the Road, Making Toronto one step closer to being in last, DiPietro playing good between the pipes for NYI making Toronto a little bit closer to the dead last spot, etc.

EDIT: I didn't realize DiPietro got hurt last night when I wrote this. Best of luck to him.

So now, it wasn't the prettiest game, but it was the last of a FIVE game roadtrip. So you have to be ok with the fact the the positives vastly outweigh the negatives and we got the W, even if it wasn't in a fashion we would have liked.

ALSO--Opinions please. I write ALOT. I actually write these post games for my own benefit and typically dont post them. I did last night because the game day thread was at 900 posts when I completed my break down. If people want the break downs, I can post them after every game or you can PM me and Ill send them to you if you want.

I don't want to clog up the board if no one is interested, but If the user's want them, I don't mind posting.

Cheers!

Last edited by LoneWolf54: 01-04-2011 at 08:59 AM.
LoneWolf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:53 AM
MOOKER411

I want to start off with the big line. Though Lucic did not get a goal I thought he was a warrior vs.Toronto. To me their are assists that may not produce points but very good hustle which results in opportunities. Lucic was fine and The chemistry between Lucic and Savard and Horton is beginning to bear fruit. That is what is imprtant. I new it would take half a dozen games oe so and was scared when Horton was swaped with Ryder vs. Buffalo. Anyway that line is improving with each game and that is great news.
Krejci with Wheeler and Ryder still ok but need to step it up IMO.

It is alarming to me the amount of ice time Recchi gets late in games. Again vs Buffalo out in 4 on 4 situations. He is obviously tired in the third so start decreasing his third period minutes and add to either Seguin or Marchand. Can still use Rex on the PP late but everyhting else should be cut back.

4th line as always took care of business and I am so glad Julien went back to Rask. This kid is stronger than he gets credit for but still was a good call as Timmy is obviously getting fatigued.

All in all things are coming together. January should prove to be a very strong month for the Bruins. Looking forward to the continued improvements.

MOOKER411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:53 AM
don

I glad for the win but I saw no snarl...........again. When they have it, they play much better.

don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:01 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf54 View Post
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Anyway, I AGREE, we should have one this game A lot to a little or less, but I do have to say it was hard for me to find negatives in this game upon writing this. I mean, the negatives column could say "Kessel had a hattrick" or "Remier posts a shutout" or "Bruins player x is done for the season after Leafs blah blah blah" and it doesn't. Im sure there are little things I could take from the game and put in the negative column that I over looked but it was hard for me to find a NOTICEABLE negative for the column, which has to be a good thing.

The positives were EASY. And theres a lot more I could have done. Taking 8 out of 10 on the Road, Making Toronto one step closer to being in last, DiPietro playing good between the pipes for NYI making Toronto a little bit closer to the dead last spot, etc.

So now, it wasn't the prettiest game, but it was the last of a FIVE game roadtrip. So you have to be ok with the fact the the positives vastly outweigh the negatives and we got the W, even if it wasn't in a fashion we would have liked.

ALSO--Opinions please. I write ALOT. I actually write these post games for my own benefit and typically dont post them. I did last night because the game day thread was at 900 posts when I completed my break down. If people want the break downs, I can post them after every game or you can PM me and Ill send them to you if you want.

I don't want to clog up the board if no one is interested, but If the user's want them, I don't mind posting.

Cheers!
You're posts tend to be unbiased and informative. I for one wouldn't mind having a game analysis thread after each game seperate from all the complaining and whining going on in PGTs. I think it's the Buffalo board that does a Good, Bad, and the Ugly thread at the end of each game for people to give their opinions on who had a good game, who could of been better, and who didn't show up.

Either way good insightful posts are always welcome here. Feel free to drop some more on us.

Old
01-04-2011, 08:07 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Quote:
Agreed. Seidenberg had a rough night in TO. But this game, like many others, clearly showed our overall lack of speed. Grabovski and Kessel gave to our D-man a ride for their money. I would like to see Bergeron with Seguin and Marchand. for one, Seguin had a very strong game, last night too. It's the beginning of the end of the road for Rex...
I fully endorse this!

Recchi has had a problem finding his legs some games and when he gets tired like every other player he makes poor, soft decisions with the puck that really puts the B's immobile defense in hot water. I'd like to see him get a day off here and there. Put Paille on the fourth line and bump Marchy up with Seguin and Bergy like you said.

Old
01-04-2011, 08:14 AM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Great job wolfie.

Rough night, Glad we won, but there were many Pepto Bismal moments, but Tuukka was HUGE.

I thought Looch had a bad night. Looked unmotivated from my couch.

Horton is coming back, I hope the goal last night sets off a **** storm of goals.

Seguin was great too, maybe his best game as a bruin.

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
I fully endorse this!

Recchi has had a problem finding his legs some games and when he gets tired like every other player he makes poor, soft decisions with the puck that really puts the B's immobile defense in hot water. I'd like to see him get a day off here and there. Put Paille on the fourth line and bump Marchy up with Seguin and Bergy like you said.
Full credit to Greek, here, he was the first who submitted this idea

Old
01-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

Games against the Leafs shouldn't be stressful. If they had any sort of talent on their team, they would have won...again.

I'll take the two points but I don't feel all that great about the game.

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:30 AM
C77

I thought the Recchi Bergeron Seguin line was the Bruins best in the 3rd period.

I didn't like how quickly Toronto was able to transition. In a matter of seconds the puck is on a Leafs forward's stick near Tuukka's crease.

To be honest I dread it when Kaberle is on the ice....especially on the PP.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:13 AM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Where were the waffles ? Soupy probably had pancake syrup all ready in the dressing room for the post game chow down.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:34 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
I fully endorse this!

Absolutely, I'll third or fourth this. Recchi needs to be on the 4th line, conserving his energy for power plays and not acting like an anchor at even strength. Also, I think having him with grinders like Thornton and Campbell who have a knack for freeing the puck up around the net (but not always capable of finishing) might benefit from a crafty guy like Rex.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote