HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Next Years Winter Classic.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:44 AM
bigbadjohn

vCash: 500
i believe the Legends game was played before the Winter Classic this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
Is this Legands classic they keep advertising on NHL network a live game on Wednesday or something that has already been played?

bigbadjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:51 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP222 View Post
TOTAL BS if it happens.

Flyers edge Wild as Winter Classic hosts
According to a report, Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field has the inside track on landing the 2012 Winter Classic. The NHL "prefers the NFL stadium model compared to the baseball stadium because there's more seating (and) better line sights." The Colorado Avalanche also are "interested and have a shot" at hosting the game. The Minnesota Wild repeatedly have expressed their desire to host the game, but the league does not "see the Wild as a very sexy team to have in the game."

Link: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...lassic-hosting
The Flyers were hesitant to play in the Winter Classic in Boston because they thought it would preclude them from getting to host it in the future. Bettman had to convince them that in fact, they would still be allowed to host a WC in the future and that being a road team for a Winter Classic doesn't count against them as much as being a host city. On paper, it makes sense. In practice, they need to start including newer cities. Buccigross talked about how the story of Minnesota hockey has not been told and I agree. It's a shame that the Wild aren't a big enough name because that would be awesome.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Terrier

Quote:
TOTAL BS if it happens.

According to a report, Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field has the inside track on landing the 2012 Winter Classic. The NHL "prefers the NFL stadium model compared to the baseball stadium because there's more seating (and) better line sights." The Colorado Avalanche also are "interested and have a shot" at hosting the game. The Minnesota Wild repeatedly have expressed their desire to host the game, but the league does not "see the Wild as a very sexy team to have in the game."

In the case of Minnesota, it's too bad in a way, considering the history of hockey there. You want outdoors? Try Baudette Bay in the minus 20's. I have no problem with Philly. The visiting team in that case should be the Rangers, which would give us a city hosting its first Classic against a team playing in its first Classic. That would set up nicely, but of course, well, you probably know what I'm thinking...

http://www.vintageminnesotahockey.co...ods2-9-08.html

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:10 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
The Flyers were hesitant to play in the Winter Classic in Boston because they thought it would preclude them from getting to host it in the future. Bettman had to convince them that in fact, they would still be allowed to host a WC in the future and that being a road team for a Winter Classic doesn't count against them as much as being a host city. On paper, it makes sense. In practice, they need to start including newer cities. Buccigross talked about how the story of Minnesota hockey has not been told and I agree. It's a shame that the Wild aren't a big enough name because that would be awesome.
There just aren't that many candidates to host it. You need to be a cold weather city and a large media market, Minnesota's just not big enough. The All Star game is for pumping up markets that need help and rewarding teams for building new arenas, the Winter Classic is strictly about beefing up their TV contracts. The team they've got in Minnesota isn't really that attractive, either.

Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Colorado, New York, Philly, Pittsburgh, maybe Washington. Thats really it, everybody else is too small, too warm, or too Canadian.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:24 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
There just aren't that many candidates to host it. You need to be a cold weather city and a large media market, Minnesota's just not big enough. The All Star game is for pumping up markets that need help and rewarding teams for building new arenas, the Winter Classic is strictly about beefing up their TV contracts. The team they've got in Minnesota isn't really that attractive, either.

Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Colorado, New York, Philly, Pittsburgh, maybe Washington. Thats really it, everybody else is too small, too warm, or too Canadian.
Right, which is why I think the league has gone about touting this thing the wrong way. Saying things like, "We could play this game outdoors wherever it's 60 degrees on January 1," doesn't even preclude Dallas from hosting a game. If they had said, "It's tough to pull off logistically, we're going to play to our strengths and keep this game in only a few markets for now," that would be a lot closer to the truth.

It's really only a matter of time before the game is back in Boston (and probably not that long of a time, either).

The rivalry aspect of this thing is nauseatingly overdone, too. Washington and Pittsburgh aren't really rivals any more than LA and Vancouver right now. They should keep the venue in those markets you listed and bring in some unconventional hockey market teams like Tampa Bay, San Jose, Dallas, etc. to drive up interest in those teams. Minny, I'd like to see it happen, but it won't until the Wild get a real American team rival and the league is in the middle of a nice TV contract.

Old
01-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Rocko604

Personally, I want Kings @ Rangers, and Gretzky to be a part of it in a big way, which might mean the league would have to pay him because Wayne is still pissed with the league over the Phoenix situation.

Having said that... New Years Day 2012 is on a Sunday. If my counting is correct, that would be the week 17 of the NFL season. Goodbye TV ratings.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

If it's going to be in New York might as well make it Islanders vs Rangers, could also help push the Isles a bit and Tavares

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:41 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
If it's going to be in New York might as well make it Islanders vs Rangers, could also help push the Isles a bit and Tavares
Why? That's like a presidential ticket with the senator and governor from the same state. Nobody outside of New York would watch that (except those Bergen county people who insist they're New Yorkers). As long as the Isles plan to continue their tanking effort and cap floor circumvention, I don't want to see them rewarded in any way.

Old
01-04-2011, 01:41 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Quote:
Right, which is why I think the league has gone about touting this thing the wrong way. Saying things like, "We could play this game outdoors wherever it's 60 degrees on January 1," doesn't even preclude Dallas from hosting a game. If they had said, "It's tough to pull off logistically, we're going to play to our strengths and keep this game in only a few markets for now," that would be a lot closer to the truth.

It's really only a matter of time before the game is back in Boston (and probably not that long of a time, either).

The rivalry aspect of this thing is nauseatingly overdone, too. Washington and Pittsburgh aren't really rivals any more than LA and Vancouver right now. They should keep the venue in those markets you listed and bring in some unconventional hockey market teams like Tampa Bay, San Jose, Dallas, etc. to drive up interest in those teams. Minny, I'd like to see it happen, but it won't until the Wild get a real American team rival and the league is in the middle of a nice TV contract.
Its not as much a rivalry thing as it is a need for an interesting opponent. Boston-Philly was interesting even if they wouldn't be your first choice, but Boston-LA? Boston-Tampa? I wouldn't get excited for that at all. Pittsburgh-Washington isn't a great rivalry but its the two biggest stars in the game, if this were 1993 and Gretzky were in LA, you'd probably see them play Pittsburgh. Not only are a lot of the non traditional and smaller market teams not interesting opponents, they don't have any star power either. Maybe if one of those teams had a real ugly playoff series against one of the potential hosts that drew a lot of national interest, something like Detroit-Colorado, you could do that.

Old
01-04-2011, 01:46 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Its not as much a rivalry thing as it is a need for an interesting opponent. Boston-Philly was interesting even if they wouldn't be your first choice, but Boston-LA? Boston-Tampa? I wouldn't get excited for that at all. Pittsburgh-Washington isn't a great rivalry but its the two biggest stars in the game, if this were 1993 and Gretzky were in LA, you'd probably see them play Pittsburgh. Not only are a lot of the non traditional and smaller market teams not interesting opponents, they don't have any star power either.
Maybe you wouldn't be excited for it, but you'd go because it's in Boston. Boston could possibly pack Fenway or even Gilette to see an outdoor hockey game between Harvard and Merrimack. This town sold out Fenway to see two European soccer teams.

In addition to that, it would generate enough buzz in Tampa or LA that plenty of those fans would see a reason to actually care about the team (well, maybe not Tampa, but LA, Anaheim, SJ, Dallas, even Atlanta).

Old
01-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Why? That's like a presidential ticket with the senator and governor from the same state. Nobody outside of New York would watch that (except those Bergen county people who insist they're New Yorkers). As long as the Isles plan to continue their tanking effort and cap floor circumvention, I don't want to see them rewarded in any way.
Well so far the league is rewarding those tanking teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago. Isles aren't spending to the cap I agree but they are also dealing with some big injuries this year. Maybe you wouldn't watch but I would and I'm sure there would be other viewers out there

Old
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Quote:
Maybe you wouldn't be excited for it, but you'd go because it's in Boston. Boston could possibly pack Fenway or even Gilette to see an outdoor hockey game between Harvard and Merrimack. This town sold out Fenway to see two European soccer teams.

In addition to that, it would generate enough buzz in Tampa or LA that plenty of those fans would see a reason to actually care about the team (well, maybe not Tampa, but LA, Anaheim, SJ, Dallas, even Atlanta).
Yeah but would anyone else care? I would watch Detroit-Colorado in the height of their rivalry, but LA-Minnesota? San Jose-Columbus? What is appealing about that? No rivalry, no star power, the teams might not even be that good or play an exciting style. There has to be some connection between the two teams or something to make it more than just game 41 of the regular season that just happens to be outside.

Old
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
Well so far the league is rewarding those tanking teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago. Isles aren't spending to the cap I agree but they are also dealing with some big injuries this year. Maybe you wouldn't watch but I would and I'm sure there would be other viewers out there
The Yankees-Mets subway series in 2000 was the lowest rated World Series in history.

Old
01-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:

Ther are other US cities that would do great, Colorado who sold out for so long and are now competitive again, Detroit, Philadelphia, Minnesota would all be great choices

Old
01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Yeah but would anyone else care? I would watch Detroit-Colorado in the height of their rivalry, but LA-Minnesota? San Jose-Columbus? What is appealing about that? No rivalry, no star power, the teams might not even be that good or play an exciting style. There has to be some connection between the two teams or something to make it more than just game 41 of the regular season that just happens to be outside.
I think most true hockey fans would watch those games, the hometown fans would fill the seats, and you'd make an inroad into another market. Do slightly lower ratings with some progress in developing interest in a non-traditional market beat high ratings between the same 10 or so teams? Depends how badly you want to progress those markets and what your TV contract is like.

An alternative would be to determine 4-5 Winter Classic Matchups (Boston/NYR, Pittsburgh/Washington, Devils/Flyers, Detroit/Colorado, Chicago/Minnesota) and rotate the game between those eight to ten venues with each home team only playing their one designated WC Rival. If you want to go Detroit/Chicago and freeze out Minny and Colorado for now, that's fair, too. The only thing there is that you're putting 6 games in the East with only 2 in the West.

Old
01-04-2011, 03:28 PM
rpontbriand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81ragnaH View Post
the next one will (should) be in the west, as the east has had the last two. st louis would be OK, but they run the same rain risk as pittsburgh i'd imagine. colorado would be great, they got great young talent, they are a good team, and one of their venues would be amazing with the Rockies in the backrround. MN would be nice, but wait until they're a little better. detroit will host one, it's only a matter of time.

personally, i'd like to see Phoenix vs Colorado. but i think that may have more canadian appeal. the kings would be a good fit for a visitor, as they have been around for almost 50 years and have a ton of talent, plus it's a huge market. but my gut tells me that colorado will host next year. no inside info, just the gut.
To get that front range appeal it would have to be done somewhere in ski country as Denver is not as close to the mountains as people / Monday Night Football would like you to believe.

Would be an awesome venue either way.

rpontbriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
BubbaBoot

Lightning v Panthers at Dolphin Stadium.....loser pays for drinks at the 19th hole.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Luuuuuuu

Quote:
TOTAL BS if it happens.

The Flyers have already been in one even though it was in Buffalo. That would totally suck. I would much rather see it in Minnesota where the chance of having a blizzard around that time is very good.

Luuuuuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:03 PM
bruinsfan1970
Global Moderator
B's R always Champs!

I think Minnesota should host the next Winter Classic,and it would be great if the Bruins were their opponent.

bruinsfan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote