HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Am I the only one whose passion is fading?

Old
04-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

vCash: 500
Am I the only one whose passion is fading?

I know the timing of this thread is odd with last night's game and the fact that Montreal is moving on to the second round. I'm posting this now because it hit the most last night, am I the only one who's lost interest in recent years? I was watching the game and I wasn't even nervous or anything. I remember during the 2010 & 2011 playoffs, my heart would be pounding and I'd be on the edge of my seat the whole time. Like I don't even get pissed when the Habs lose anymore. I was thinking about this and I don't even think I would have been that pissed if Montreal choked the 3-0 lead vs the Sens...

I was wondering if I was the only one who feels this way?

Is it an age thing (I just turned 21 and yeah I know I'm still a kiddo lol) and me realizing that it's just a game after all? Is it due to the boring hockey that Montreal is playing and the NHL becoming less and less exciting in general? I don't even look forward to the games which is weird because anyone in my entourage would tell you I'm the biggest Habs (and hockey) fan they know and I used to breathe hockey.

Just wanted your thoughts on this.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
I know the timing of this thread is odd with last night's game and the fact that Montreal is moving on to the second round. I'm posting this now because it hit the most last night, am I the only one who's lost interest in recent years? I was watching the game and I wasn't even nervous or anything. I remember during the 2010 & 2011 playoffs, my heart would be pounding and I'd be on the edge of my seat the whole time. Like I don't even get pissed when the Habs lose anymore. I was thinking about this and I don't even think I would have been that pissed if Montreal choked the 3-0 lead vs the Sens...

Is it an age thing (I just turned 21 and yeah I know I'm still a kiddo lol) and me realizing that it's just a game after all? Is it due to the boring hockey that Montreal is playing and the NHL becoming less and less exciting in general? I don't even look forward to the games which is weird because anyone in my entourage would tell you I'm the biggest Habs (and hockey) fan they know and I used to breathe hockey.

I think this feeling comes from the Habs not being under dogs anymore.

It is a possible feeling though. I felt like that last season for some reason. This year I am as excited as ever for the chance at a cup. It depends on the year and the mind frame of the viewer.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:11 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:

Not me. I was a nervous wreck near the end of the games and was swearing at Mitchell for losing all the important faceoff (and I have been a Habs fan for 35 years).

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Seb
Michel Therrien

vCash: 50
No, you're not. The 2010 was the peak of my interest and emotional investment as well.

Jacques Martin and Michel Therrien killed it for me.

I've missed so many games this season and I don't give a crap. Games were boring anyways.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:13 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I think this feeling comes from the Habs not being under dogs anymore.

It is a possible feeling though. I felt like that last season for some reason. This year I am as excited as ever for the chance at a cup. It depends on the year and the mind frame of the viewer.
That's what I was thinking too. Personnal life is probably the biggest factor here, I got in my first serious relationship last summer and it came to an abrupt end in March so that might be why I've lost interest in hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
No, you're not. The 2010 was the peak of my interest and emotional investment as well.

I've missed so many games this season and I don't give a crap. Games were boring anyways.
Glad to see I'm not the only one. Richiebottle's might have a good point about the whole underdog thing and our peak of interest being in 2010 which coincides with the biggest upsets in recent history.

Old
04-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireBergevin

MT and DD51 are testing our faith.

But yeah it's normal to lose some interest when you grow up and become a man.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too. Personnal life is probably the biggest factor here, I got in my first serious relationship last summer and it came to an abrupt end in March so that might be why I've lost interest in hockey.
I was working an Intership where I really wasn't happy and it sucked up all of my time and stressed me out beyond what I could bare.

I think there is a pattern here !

Old
04-27-2015, 03:16 PM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

vCash: 300
We're not underdogs anymore but we play a very regressive system.

It's hard to care sometimes but we're getting closer to new territory: the ECF and SCF (hopefully). You'll care when we're 8 wins from a Stanley Cup.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

There's many reasons for this.

Its a different mindset now. In 2010, the team was a Cinderella knocking off the east giants. Now, the shoe is on the other foot, and the team is expected to win. There is just something about being a massive underdog and winning that brings out more emotions.

Another reason is that this team isn't very fun to watch. It can be downright frustrating to watch this team trying to bury the puck, and it has been that way for most of the year.

Another factor, the team has made the playoffs in 6 of the last 7 years, so I won't go as far as saying that we are spoiled, but that novelty factor of being in the playoffs is not there either.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:21 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

Its a different mindset now. In 2010, the team was a Cinderella knocking off the east giants. Now, the shoe is on the other foot, and the team is expected to win. There is just something about being a massive underdog and winning that brings out more emotions.

Another reason is that this team isn't very fun to watch. It can be downright frustrating to watch this team trying to bury the puck, and it has been that way for most of the year.

Another factor, the team has made the playoffs in 6 of the last 7 years, so I won't go as fa as saying that we are spoiled, but that novelty factor of being in the playoffs is not there either.
On the flip side, our terrible puck management and system can produce an entire level of emotion. The Habs never make it easy on us fans.

Old
04-27-2015, 03:21 PM
BlackMarvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post

Same thing happened to me...Hasn't been the same since saku left. Still like most people mentioned here, its all part of growing up. You find more things to care/worry about. Still a fan though and will remain until the day I die (If Therrien and Martin haven't managed to make me cheer for another team, I don't know who will )

BlackMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

Another factor, the team has made the playoffs in 6 of the last 7 years, so I won't go as far as saying that we are spoiled, but that novelty factor of being in the playoffs is not there either.
Good post, all valid points. I guess last year's playoff run has made accustomed to the idea that Montreal is a legit threat for the cup and it's not just some wild fantasy in my mind.

Old
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Yea I'm not as invested in the regular season as I once was, and the games are more boring. But not the POs. I'm stressed as hell when we play, I couldn't even eat, and I'm a strength and conditioning coach, eating is incredibly important to me.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Galchenyuksnipes
Gaston for coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Not me. I was a nervous wreck near the end of the games and was swearing at Mitchell for losing all the important faceoff (and I have been a Habs fan for 35 years).
So much this, I was losing it man, felt like we lost 10 straight faceoffs

Galchenyuksnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:29 PM
ThaDevilGirl

The regular season is a marathon that can be boring at times. The playoffs are more exciting because the team is at point where a playoff showing is not enough. We want the cup.

Plus you're getting older and have other priorities.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:32 PM
DD51*

Quote:

Not me, I hope...

DD51* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:33 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
No, you're not.

For me, I used to live and breathe this team. I would wake up, check the boards, check them at work, read articles, debate endlessly every aspect of the system, personnel usage, etc. etc. I would get mad at regular season losses, line-up decisions, a missed open net, everything. Vulgar at the television and it would affect my mood going to bed.

My enthusiasm has waned a bit simply due to the coaching, playing style, but luckily I'm a goalie myself and I can find enjoyment in the sheer brilliance Price has displayed.

When my girlfriend left me, I realized, this is just a sport. It is entertainment. Enjoy it when they win and let it go if they lose. There are far more important things in life that deserve my attention, effort and emotion. If I would have realized some of the things I learned after the break-up before the break-up, I truly think I would have been able to avoid the terrible circumstances that followed. Now, I am picking up the pieces and I am here more than I want to be because I'm unemployed until I go back to school in September. When I'm back there and I start a new relationship, I certainly won't be all that active here.

Long story short. Enjoy the sport. Don't get mad or angry. It's not worth it. We have no control over the outcome. I still hope we win because I want to celebrate a cup win with my die-hard Hab fan parents at some point. Selfishly, I want us to win because I know it will make my ex think about me and how much excitement/fun we could have had watching it all happen. Alas, now's the time to find someone else to watch the games with and they certainly won't see an angry version of me.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:36 PM
G0bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yea I'm not as invested in the regular season as I once was, and the games are more boring. But not the POs. I'm stressed as hell when we play, I couldn't even eat, and I'm a strength and conditioning coach, eating is incredibly important to me.
This made me lol for some reason.

But yeah entertainment wise this season was a bit of a letdown. I don't like how the team plays most of the time. That said it's still by far the most talented team on paper in my 12-15 years of watching.

G0bias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:37 PM
Seb
Michel Therrien

Let's all just hope that Daniel Bigras' passion isn't fading or else he's gonna live a life full of regrets.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:39 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
No, you're not.

For me, I used to live and breathe this team. I would wake up, check the boards, check them at work, read articles, debate endlessly every aspect of the system, personnel usage, etc. etc. I would get mad at regular season losses, line-up decisions, a missed open net, everything. Vulgar at the television and it would affect my mood going to bed.

My enthusiasm has waned a bit simply due to the coaching, playing style, but luckily I'm a goalie myself and I can find enjoyment in the sheer brilliance Price has displayed.

When my girlfriend left me, I realized, this is just a sport. It is entertainment. Enjoy it when they win and let it go if they lose. There are far more important things in life that deserve my attention, effort and emotion. If I would have realized some of the things I learned after the break-up before the break-up, I truly think I would have been able to avoid the terrible circumstances that followed. Now, I am picking up the pieces and I am here more than I want to be because I'm unemployed until I go back to school in September. When I'm back there and I start a new relationship, I certainly won't be all that active here.

Long story short. Enjoy the sport. Don't get mad or angry. It's not worth it. We have no control over the outcome. I still hope we win because I want to celebrate a cup win with my die-hard Hab fan parents at some point. Selfishly, I want us to win because I know it will make my ex think about me and how much excitement/fun we could have had watching it all happen. Alas, now's the time to find someone else to watch the games with and they certainly won't see an angry version of me.
Glad to hear you're doing okay. I remember reading your post talking about it when it happened, definitely a brutal way for it to end.
Quote:
Let's all just hope that Daniel Bigras' passion isn't fading or else he's gonna live a life full of regrets.
Nice one

Old
04-27-2015, 03:41 PM
MaxLacoste

Higher expectation = Higher deception. I think a lot of fan are expecting to much of this team and they don't forgive easily any bad performance from the Habs.

For myself, my passion is at all-time high. Never I watch such a good Habs team from my own eyes (born in 1985). Also, it was exciting to watch individual performance this year (Price, Pacioretty, Subban). Of course, I could be desappointed by the lack of developpement from Galchenyuk or the lack of offensive, but there is so much to like from this organization. We have promising prospects that will join an already excellent team, managed by a competent GM.

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:42 PM
Kachino
@kachino82

I don't have a problem missing some games in order to play ball hockey (on Tuesday or Thursday). I try to watch as many Saturday games as I can with friends.

I try to watch as many playoffs games as possible. I remember when I was younger not even missing Habs game at all. Boy, have things changed since that time.

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:42 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

It depends I guess. It's the end of semester for me so basically, my only entertainment has been watching the Habs and the Impact to clear my head a bit of school.

That said, expectations change everything. I was mad at this team for not being able to close this series in 4 or 5 after taking the first three games. We were one of the better teams this year so we need to be able to take care of business. Had we been the 8th seed, yesterday I would've been super excited. But now, I was just expecting them to finish this out. It's all about the ECF and getting our ticket to the Stanley Cup finals. We have the team to do it.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:44 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
This.

We have a solid roster but I've grown frustrated with the dump and chase. Never seen a team achieve so much success without a decent PP or even be able to complete a pass on a 2 on 1.

The shortened season was the last time I was excited with the Gally's making the big club and the team favoring puck possession and speed.

Since then, Therrien has sucked the creativity out of everyone, including Subban.

I miss prime Koivu or Kovalev or 2010 Subban and long for a player who will keep me at the edge of my seat.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2015, 03:45 PM
Brainiac

Quote:

21 yo. is enough to be considered a man?

Well, maybe if you went to war when you were 18-20 and got a girl pregnant before leaving for duty and then had to deal with taking care of your dad because your mom died from cancer just when you came back, I'd say yes, you're a 21 yo. man.

But if you're just that average city guy who's in university/cegep/working and trying to grow a proper PO beard for the first time ever... you're still just a kid!

Anyways, just kidding. Because yeah, I agree with OP. 82 games of a team playing a defensive, 100% safety-first kind of game can get boring at times. However, I think it can lead us somewhere in the POs.

That, I'm looking forward to.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote