HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kris Versteeg

Old
01-02-2011, 08:49 AM
noBSleafsFAN

vCash: 500
Kris Versteeg

Kris Versteeg

1st round pick

I think Versteeg is worth a 20-30 overall pick, especially in a supposedly weak draft.
Also then the Leafs could trade that pick and a prospect + their 2nd to move up.

24th overall (guess) + 2nd round pick + prospect

for

12th-18th overall?

Just an idea.

noBSleafsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:55 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by noBSleafsFAN View Post

Kris Versteeg

1st round pick

I think Versteeg is worth a 20-30 overall pick, especially in a supposedly weak draft.
Also then the Leafs could trade that pick and a prospect + their 2nd to move up.

for

12th-18th overall?

Just an idea.
Not sure why you want to subject yourself to this - while it may be fair value for a young player on pace for 55-60 points - fans here think first rounders = automatic stars.

They all need to take a look at the draft and count the number of busts in the first round.

That said Burke will not weaken his team and acquire draft picks. Not with Boston owning the Leafs 1st.

It's also unlikely Versteeg gets dealt since he's only 24 and young enough to be part of a rebuild.

Expect Versteeg to be dealt for a young, proven NHL'er with size, if he is dealt at all. This is just Burke set in his ways.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Man Bear Pig

And here comes the Leafs bashing...

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

If Versteeg is dealt, it's either for a good center or for some good draft picks. It's been his best year so far, despite playing on a godawful Leafs team vs a stacked Hawks team, so I'm not sure why the Leafs would be in a rush to deal him without at least slight overpayment. And while his +/- isn't sexy, it's pretty much par for the course for Leafs who play as many minutes as he does (with the notable exception of Grabo).

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:16 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by noBSleafsFAN View Post

Kris Versteeg

1st round pick

for

12th-18th overall?

Just an idea.
There are a lot of prospects out there who have the potential to be better players than Versteeg but aren't ready for the NHL this year. If Burke is giving up on making the playoffs this year I think getting a real blue chip prospect from a playoff team might be the best possible thing that Burke can do.

He can maximize his return for Versteeg if he is willing to be a little patient and let the prospect develop for the rest of the year and see if he is ready next year.

I don't really have anyone in mind, but I see that as getting the best possible return.

I also don't think it concerns Burke where the pick that is going to Boston ends up, after all, the lower they are, the better their 2nd round pick is and how much worse can they be even without Versteeg?

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:48 AM
seanlinden

What is the obsession on these boards with pegging players "value" to some draft pick? I mean, who really cares?

It's no secret that Toronto wants to shake up its roster to win more games, but trading a guy who's scored 10 goals and mans the point on the powerplay isn't going to do that. I'm not saying Versteeg is untouchable, but he's a very valuable asset to have on our 3rd line, and has started playing much bettter since being taken away from Kessel (they were a horrible fit). The bulk of his huge minus came from the first half of the year when they were playing together.

While having a pair of $3m 3rd line wingers isn't ideal, it is something that's workable because Toronto has Giguere coming off the books, Komisarek who is expendable, and a relatively cheap 3rd line. If Versteeg can be used to bring in a high quality high dollar first line player, then it's something Toronto has to do. But, they cannot afford to sacrifice the scoring presence for their 3rd line without improving their top line significantly. There is also no urgency to "maximize value on Versteeg", he's a 3rd year player on pace for his 3rd consecutive 20+ goal season. He's locked up for 1 more year at $3.083m and is an RFA afterwords. We're not talking about a veteran who's going to walk at the end of the year who would have minimal value to a non-playoff team like Toronto.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Baldo Ronaldo

[QUOTE=jfried;29923002]What is the obsession on these boards with pegging players "value" to some draft pick? I mean, who really cares?

Well said. No need to worry, though. We both know that if Burke deals Versteeg it's not going to be for anything less than a blue chip prospect or established player.

Baldo Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:19 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

chances that any 20-30th overall pick becomes as good as Versteeg are about 15%.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:27 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

do we really need another verteeg thread--there are three on page one

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:25 PM
ItsTheBGB
WJC Pool Champ!

Brayden Schenn
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-Today/1/32571

ItsTheBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:38 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
6 Versteeg threads were not enough to gauge HF's opinion of his value?
Yea the 7th thread will definitely make a difference.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote