HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Leighton Appreciation thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
FlyerFire

vCash: 500
Michael Leighton Appreciation thread

I know many here may not care for him as a goaltender but I think he went way beyond expectations. I like Bouch as well and something had to be done but I just wanted to say Thank you to a backup goalie who helped us on our improbable run last year. Best of luck Mike in whatever you do and thanks

Old
01-03-2011, 02:17 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Old
01-03-2011, 02:21 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFire View Post
I know many here may not care for him as a goaltender but I think he went way beyond expectations. I like Bouch as well and something had to be done but I just wanted to say Thank you to a backup goalie who helped us on our improbable run last year. Best of luck Mike in whatever you do and thanks
I will not soon forget Michael Leighton and the run he had in 2010. Bravo Michael - best waiver wire pickup EVER. Good luck.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:26 PM
FlyerFire

The point of your post Rodu??

Old
01-03-2011, 02:41 PM
agrudez*

While I never thought Leighton was a good goalie, I did appreciate the fact that our team seemed to play better in front of him and we won with him in net. To borrow the cliche, he essentially saved our season.

However, his performance in the Finals, even if it was semi-expected, has left an incredibly bad taste in my mouth for him and then him LYING to our front office about his injury just to get a paycheck has solidified him as public enemy number 1 to me.

I, honestly, was hoping he would get one more NHL game to get EMBARRASSED in to negate any plausibility of him ever returning to our team.

As it stands now I am petrified that Holmgren views this as nothing more than a conditioning stint and I will be forced to watch this un-athletic ******* stand still in the crease and spread his legs every time a puck comes at him once again.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:06 PM
mirimon

While I believe we got to the finals last year despite him more than thanks to him, he was a part of a pretty special cup run. So, thanks for that I guess.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:09 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
...yup.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Flyskippy

I appreciated Michael Leighton until it came out that he had been injured when he signed the contract and waited until after signing it to reveal the injury. He got his money and will make it in the AHL.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:21 PM
chaosof99*

One of the best waiver wire pickups in the history of the league. To be honest, Leighton is and never was or will be an outstanding goaltender, but somehow the team found a way to win when he was in net and he was able to get wins under very extreme and unfavorable circumstances. Lest we forget, the first time he played the team was 29th in the league. And the 2nd time he took over from Boucher, the team was down 3-1 in a playoff series.

He is a hero. An unlikely hero, a disposable hero, but a hero nonetheless.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Congrats, ******. You stole millions when you lied about an injury. Good for you but don't expect to be missed.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Ryker

Hmm, I'm not really in on this injury lie thing, but I do know that if a contract is based on a false assumption, it can in some cases be invalidated. Seeing as this is about hockey, which one can only play when he is not injured, I am pretty sure that this lie thing has been blown out of proportion, otherwise we wouldn't really have that much trouble getting rid of Leighton as we do now.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:42 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Congrats, ******. You stole millions when you lied about an injury. Good for you but don't expect to be missed.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:43 PM
hof2120

If any of you think that Emery/Boosh or Boosh/Backlund would have gotten us to the SCF, you're ****ing retarded. Leighton helped us get to where we got, and is not completely at fault for the Cup loss. If Carter hadn't hit Niemi in the ****in face in over time when he had the entire top 3/4 of the net to shoot at, Kane would have never gotten the opportunity to score the game winner.

I'll miss him, and I'll still rock my Flyers shirt with his name on it, because he is a large part of why we had any hardware at all to take home in the off season.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
If any of you think that Emery/Boosh or Boosh/Backlund would have gotten us to the SCF, you're ****ing retarded. Leighton helped us get to where we got, and is not completely at fault for the Cup loss. If Carter hadn't hit Niemi in the ****in face in over time when he had the entire top 3/4 of the net to shoot at, Kane would have never gotten the opportunity to score the game winner.

I'll miss him, and I'll still rock my Flyers shirt with his name on it, because he is a large part of why we had any hardware at all to take home in the off season.
He sorta is. All he had to do was be less crappy than Niemi. He didn't succeed. The offense scored enough goals. Leighton let in a lot of softies.

And I fail to see the logic behind the Emery statement. He was a better goalie than Leighton.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:51 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He sorta is. All he had to do was be less crappy than Niemi. He didn't succeed. The offense scored enough goals. Leighton let in a lot of softies.

And I fail to see the logic behind the Emery statement. He was a better goalie than Leighton.
Can we please avoid the "Emery would have won it" argument again, for the love of God, and just all bask in the glory of Bob and Boucher?

Old
01-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Can we please avoid the "Emery would have won it" argument again, for the love of God, and just all bask in the glory of Bob and Boucher?
I'm not saying Emery would have won it, but he easily could've gotten us there as well.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:57 PM
DrHamburg

I appreciate how he played in the playoffs for us. He wasn't his best in the finals obviously but the Flyers still had a chance to get the cup. I am not going to bash him for lying about an injury...Flyers should have had him take a physical to prove he is healthy so its more on them. Hell I'd claim I was healthy too for 1.55 million dollars a year.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:04 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
****, that made me LOL!

Old
01-03-2011, 04:08 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm not saying Emery would have won it, but he easily could've gotten us there as well.
Fine, I will say it then.

Emery would have won us the cup.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:36 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I know the popular thing is to rip on Leighton for hiding his injury, but shouldn't the Flyers be held just as accountable for not performing a medical on Leighton? I mean, if you're signing a guy to a contract worth a few million dollars, doesn't it make sense to run a physical and maybe an MRI to ensure that everything is ok with the player? Let's not let the Flyers organization off the hook so easily. If they would have performed their due diligence, they might have discovered the back injury.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:41 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I will miss Leighton. He took a lot of unwarranted flack on this board but Leighton put up good numbers for this team and deserves some credit for the success the team had last season. And let's not forget about this:

Old
01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

I liked the person Leighton, seemed like he liked Philly and really loved the fans....Really hated the goalie Leighton though

Old
01-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I don't think any flak that Leighton caught was unwarranted. The criticisms were legitimate.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Without leighton, we would all be eating **** sandwiches from Boston fans. Every game since half way through game 4 of the Boston/Philly series and all his post season shutouts were borrowed time from Leighton.

I'll always be appreciative of that. Took us from a sweep out to OT of game 6 of the SCF... from the waver wilre...

Haters gonna hate though.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Yeah, I'm not convinced Leighton had much to do with that. Boosh was in the middle of a shutout when he got hurt, and the whole gagne/krecji thing changed our offense and boosted defense, and crippled Boston's offense. And let's not forget that Leighton nearly lost us game 7 with 3 goals allowed early. The way I see it, the team accomplished a lot despite having Leighton and Boosh as goalies. Neither one of them stole any games.

edit: damnit though, seeing MTL shut out 3 times by Leighton was satisfying.

Closed Thread