HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus/Minus, Capitals v. Penguins - Winter Classic Edition

Old
01-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

vCash: 500
Plus/Minus, Capitals v. Penguins - Winter Classic Edition

+ Staal; Nice to have him back. He skated well and seemed eager to lay the body. His shifts with Malkin looked pretty good and I'm excited to see if the experiment works once and for all.

+ Geno; Played a pretty good game. Nice goal on the breakaway. Too bad he hit the post on the backhand in the slot late, would have been great to have that goal.

Honorable mention; Orpik stopping the wrap-around

- MAF; Mistakes and dumb plays wash out the several spectacular saves he made early. Stop trying to play the puck, Fleury. Forever.

- Sid; Played a pretty terrible game aside from some good shifts in the first period. Let's hope his cooldown after the streak doesn't turn into an ice age.

- The PP; Seriously? Just a cluster**** of horrible chaos again, as always.

- Martin; Didn't have a very good game at all. Nobody on defense did, for the most part, but Martin's poor game stood out tonight.

Dishonorable mention; Weather conditions, camera work/cutting from one camera to another at bad times by NBC

Probably forgot some things, still feel like crap from the flu/NyQuil so I'm sleepy.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:27 PM
SidGenoMario

- Everything. What a ****** night.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Sideline

+Geno. Girls love.
+Letestu had a nice game.
+We've got Jordan Staal.

-We had two goals against directly as a result of big money guys (MAF and Martin) making bad plays.
-The PP is not producing.
-Dupuis and Cooke are not top six quality wingers.
-The Caps limited there mistakes. They kept pushing the puck north. We moved the puck east and west.

Nothing hard to diagnose here...

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:30 PM
66-29-33

- Bylsma. When you pull the goalie, make the player come onto the ice...it's 5 on 5 with Pens having an empty net.

- Bylsma again! you don't pull your goalie with just over a minute left in the game down 2 goals, what's wrong with you? eveyr other coach pulls their goalie with 145 or 2 minutes remaining, you have seen this many MANY times...are you this dumb?

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:31 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'll go off the board:

+ The whole Winter Classic: The build for the game is great. It was a very passionate game that was enjoyable to watch. Under the lights added a great perspective as a fan of the game. The crowd was white hot and the elements are part of the game.

When this started, there were so many questions as to where the Winter Classic would go. Well... it's a great spectacle and I think it's around for a long time. It's enjoyable. It's refreshing. In fact... it's just downright bad ass. I love it.

Congratulations to the Caps. This builds the rivalry even more. I freaking love every second of it.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Hobodrifter

Would rather see Conner in over TK

Hobodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Bylsmagic

Nothing cures a hangover quite like puking all night. Terrible effort met with terrible producing/weather.

Bylsmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Capsfan7998

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
- Everything. What a ****** night.
What!? It looked pretty good to me hahaha

Capsfan7998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Bah humbug. I thought the whole thing was anticlimactic and i'm glad it's over.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:34 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfan7998 View Post
What!? It looked pretty good to me hahaha
Now, now. Don't come in here and ****** it up. You guys got the win and the rivalry remains relevant w/o Pittsburgh completely dominating.

Don't troll.

Old
01-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Illinest

+ my first HF avatar.

I'm not concerned about the results. Our game wasn't going to work in those conditions. There were lots of plays that we executed the same way we always do but the puck was moving different and the skaters were moving different on the ice. Same plan - different results.

I'm looking forward to better ice again.

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Welcome back, Jordan Staal. It's great to see him back. BUT, with him in the lineup, Bylsma needs to readjust. He needs to be reminded of what works best for this team when all three centers are in the lineup. I look at Letestu, with that quick release, and I can't help but ask why isn't HE being tried with Malkin or Crosby? It makes zero sense to me.

Not once tonight did Disco Dan go back to Cooke-Staal-Kennedy. Not even after power plays. This needs to change.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:36 PM
PensFanSince1989

+ Fleury when in the net
- Fleury when he left the night. The conditions just highlighted that he can make the wrong decisions on when to come out and when not to.

I'd give Sid an even, though I was getting tired of him and the entire team trying to make too many passes. But there were times where we carried the play quite a bit, we just didn't cash in. It happens.

And + to the Winter Classic. I enjoyed it, the rain was a winkle, but there were no injuries to it, and both teams faced the exact same conditions.

Edt: And of course, huge + to Staal. Exciting to have him back.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:37 PM
nTsplnk*

We could not ask for a better measuring stick of our team though, guys.

This is a game against a team not doing so great in the last month. They wanted to win badly, and they pushed for it, and played a strong game.

Aside from Malkin and Staal, most of the team played like it wasn't all that big a deal. This mindset is bad-same mindset the Caps had last year going in against Montreal.

Coming back down to Earth allows us to see where we need improvement and how we should play the last 40 games and get that momentum going into the playoffs.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

++++ The death of that lame, and extremely unfunny "i miss jordan staal" tradition.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Welcome back, Jordan Staal. It's great to see him back. BUT, with him in the lineup, Bylsma needs to readjust. He needs to be reminded of what works best for this team when all three centers are in the lineup. I look at Letestu, with that quick release, and I can't help but ask why isn't HE being tried with Malkin or Crosby? It makes zero sense to me.

Not once tonight did Disco Dan go back to Cooke-Staal-Kennedy. Not even after power plays. This needs to change.
I agree. Our strength down the middle won us the cup, and brought us to the finals the year before. WHy take away our strength just to fill in 2 lines?

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

+ Fans (made some good noise most of the game, stuck through the elements)
+ Geno (created some great opportunities, scored lone goal)
+ Staal (because he was there... really happy to see him out there)
+ Kunitz (made some nice plays in tough conditions, couple good SOG)
+ Letestu (this test toob character... I like him)
+ Panger

Even - Flower (most of the game - he made some choice saves)
Even - Pretty much everyone else

- NBC camera work was ****ing awful most of the game. WTH.
- NBC for not firing Milbury yet
- Jerome / Franco shootout (no words for this entertainment atrocity - good work NHL)
- Pierre McGuire (please stop talking - if you infused Steigy's brain with a bunch of hockey trivia, shaved his head, and gave him a Canadian accent, you have a slightly dumber version of Pierre McGuire)

- Flower's second GA

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2000
+Staal. He looked pretty good for a guy who was playing his first game of the season after missing 39 games with various injuries.

+Geno. He actually had jump out there. He was a post away from two goals tonight, and -- crossing fingers -- him and Staal looks like it has the potential to be a good line.

+70,000 fans. That's great to see hockey draw that kind of crowd, even if the weather sucked.

-Weather. The ice was horrible. No one on either team was really able to stickhandle without the puck bouncing all over the place. Hardly the best way to showcase two of the best talents in hockey.

-Fleury. His performance in the net was fine, I'm just fed up with how he plays behind the net. Usually it just results in causing his team to run around in their own zone because he takes forever to pass to his defensemen, but tonight it actually cost the Pens the game winner. STAY IN YOUR NET.

-Crosby. I didn't think he had a very good game. He wasn't adapting well to the ice conditions, and kept on making passes that just don't work well when the puck sticks as much as it did tonight.

-Pens' lack of adapting. They kept trying to play a fancy east/west game when it was obvious the ice conditions weren't conducive to even trying it. It's a risky style even at the best of times, but it was outright retarded they kept making cross ice passes on ice that made passing a chore.

-PP. This is basically a broken record, but holy **** does this team's PP suck. It'll go on a bit of a 3 or 4-game hot streak and we think it's turned around, but then we crash down to reality and see game after game where the PP does absolutely nothing for the team.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:39 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Random thoughts:

- NBC cameras: Okay we get it.. you bought some cameras that give us a view of what it would look like from outer space. Don't ever ****ing use them again. It was annoying and took away from the game.

- Dan Bylsma never should have sat Conner. It's pretty obvious what our lines have to be at this moment.. but it seems to me Dan doesn't have a clue. The amount of line juggling in the next couple of weeks might be to much to handle.

+ Welcome back Jordan Staal. I did actually miss the guy. He played physical and I'm so happy he's back.

Old
01-01-2011, 11:41 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Random thoughts:

- NBC cameras: Okay we get it.. you bought some cameras that give us a view of what it would look like from outer space. Don't ever ****ing use them again. It was annoying and took away from the game.

- Dan Bylsma never should have sat Conner. It's pretty obvious what our lines have to be at this moment.. but it seems to me Dan doesn't have a clue. The amount of line juggling in the next couple of weeks might be to much to handle.

+ Welcome back Jordan Staal. I did actually miss the guy. He played physical and I'm so happy he's back.
I was watching it with my girlfriend and missed this.

Wow. He sat Conner? Yet we let Rupp get in some pointless fight at the beginning and do nothing else.

Idk how anyone said Staal sucked, he's leaps and bounds ahead of anyone not named Crosby or Malkin on this team.

Old
01-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Capsfan7998

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Now, now. Don't come in here and ****** it up. You guys got the win and the rivalry remains relevant w/o Pittsburgh completely dominating.

Don't troll.
Not trolling at all and yes, we did get the win so calm down man....it is what it is, the pens made a valiant effort. It was a great game.

Capsfan7998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:44 PM
NegativeSpace
Um, no.

+ Geno, probably the best rain player in the world.
+Staal, for existing.

-MAF, robbing AO almost got him an even, but the guy just can't handle the puck.
-NBC, camera work/directing

NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Oh YAH. Thanks to Cole for reminding me:

- Rupp (I don't care that you fought, what I care about is that you cost us a goal with a completely pointless and avoidable hands/arms contact with the goalie you ****ing moron.)

God does this guy blow this year. I don't know what happened to him. He was an OK 4th liner last year but now he's a bag of ****. Benching Connor for Rupp was definitely a stupid move.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:47 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfan7998 View Post
Just friendly smack, that's all....it will be okay
Idk, going forward I think both teams really have their problems and issues they need to work out.

I don't think either team is as good as Philadelphia is this year.

Old
01-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Dupree13

+ to all this crap being over so these guys can get back down to earth and start getting to work. Good riddance to HBO so these guys can stop trying to be TV stars, and Bylsma can put that ****ing fedora back into the attic.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote