HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

D-Men in the off season

Old
01-02-2011, 12:07 AM
WhitecourtWolverine

vCash: 500
D-Men in the off season

Just wondering what people are thinking will happen with the Free Agents leaving the team/ staying. Maybe some input on who should be resigned, or brought in from elsewhere, and who should be let go.

WhitecourtWolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:30 AM
CloutierForVezina

Edler, Hamhuis and Ballard are all signed past this year.

Ehrhoff should be retained if his salary demands are reasonable.

Salo can come back if he's willing to take a massive paycut to account for the huge uncertainty in his health. Wouldn't be surprised if he just retired.

Bieksa is most likely gone before the end of the season which makes his return unlikely.

So we'll probably be going into next year with a top-4 of Edler, Ehrhoff, Ballard and Hamhuis. Our #5-7 can be any combination of retained depth (Alberts, Rome), prospects (Tanev, K-Conn, Sweatt, Parent) or decently cheap free agents (??).

Kind of an aside and I seriously doubt they let him go but if Montreal shies away from re-signing Markov he should absolutely be a #1 priority for us, even ahead of Ehrhoff in my opinion. Markov would be an absolutely beastly addition to our team.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Markov's health is a concern IMO. The guy has been Salo bad on that aspect the past year or so.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Re-sign the defence the way it is now, Salo + Bieksa take pay cuts, Alberts for a million, we have roughly 6 million in cap space for the forwards

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:21 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Defence is a strong point now. I'd leave it alone.

In the instance of not being able to re-sign a free agent I'd like to see Connauton brought along briskly.

Salo has said before that this was his last year. He sounded pretty cautious about coming back this year, citing possible long term effects of his injury. I doubt he returns next season.

As far as free agents, I nominate Steve Montador, a good Richmond kid and right handed shot!

Last edited by JuniorNelson: 01-02-2011 at 02:36 AM.
JuniorNelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:29 AM
lefty2time*

If for some reason Ehrhoff cant be retained...and he walks..or we trade him becuase we know we wont be able to resign him, then Markov would be okay. His injuries scare me though.
Markov Edler
Hamhuis Ballard
Alberts Salo
would be nice..but i'd rather keep ehrhoff since he's more healthy and wont cost as much

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:32 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Jovo, Markov, Wisniewski, Rivet, Pitkanen,

Gill, White

01-02-2011, 02:36 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Defence is a strong point now. I'd leave it alone.

In the instance of not being able to re-sign a free agent I'd like to see Connauton brought along briskly.

Salo has said before that this was his last year. He sounded pretty cautious about coming back this year, citing possible long term effects of his injury. I doubt he returns next season.

As far as free agents, I nominate Steve Montador, a good Richmond kid!
I do not recall Salo ever stating this was his last year.

Do you have link to such a statement from Salo?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:39 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Re-sign Ehrhoff...

Check yo cap space...

Need to replace what Torres is bringing too + Re-sign Hansen on raise.

Then fill in on D.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:51 AM
hackey
Oh Did I Offend You

Also recall Salo saying he would most likely retire after this current contract
no link

Whoever said sign Bieska to a pay cut is hallucinating
why would he do that

He is an UFA next summer and some team other than the Nucks will sign him to contract more that he's making now at $3.75m

He's back on his game and every other team sees that

So why would he hang around the Nucks and sign a discount? Silly

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:56 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Puzzling. I swear everyone has heard Salo say he won't return for next year. But no one knows where it's from. I'm positive I heard it from an interview.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Puzzling. I swear everyone has heard Salo say he won't return for next year. But no one knows where it's from. I'm positive I heard it from an interview.
Likely an urban myth. Someone says they heard it then others base their memory on that.

I follow things pretty closely and I have never heard Salo say any such thing. I have heard him say he is late in his career and time may be running out for a Stanley Cup but that is something quite different than is being claimed.

I have access to newspaper archives for those articles not stored on-line. One would expect that if he had said such a thing it would be big news and there would be a record. There is none that I can find.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:07 AM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Sign the cheaper of Erhoff or Markov and trade with NSH for help on D.

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:24 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
Sign the cheaper of Erhoff or Markov and trade with NSH for help on D.
Our often injured D problems are helped by Markov?

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:30 AM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Our often injured D problems are helped by Markov?
Risk vs. Reward.

Markov is in a different class than Erhoff, our depth moves this past year afford us the option to go all-in on Markov, not that I expect to see him available July 1

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:33 AM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Salo's gone, regardless of his decision to keep playing or not. Gillis went after Hamhuis and Ballard because they were durable (despite their injuries this season). I highly doubt Gillis goes after Salo again.

He let a (slightly) more durable and younger Willie Mitchell go, remember?

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:56 AM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
Risk vs. Reward.

Markov is in a different class than Erhoff, our depth moves this past year afford us the option to go all-in on Markov, not that I expect to see him available July 1
This, and this.

Defensemen with Markov's ability don't hit free agency very often. Remember that this is the guy who made MA Bergeron look passable and carried Komisarek to an absolutely massive contract. How has Komi looked without Markov opposite him?

Right now he is just a pipedream but an Edler-Markov top pairing has the potential to be one of the very best in the league.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:03 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
I've never heard Salo saying this.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:08 AM
Lz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkph View Post
Salo's gone, regardless of his decision to keep playing or not. Gillis went after Hamhuis and Ballard because they were durable (despite their injuries this season). I highly doubt Gillis goes after Salo again.

He let a (slightly) more durable and younger Willie Mitchell go, remember?
As a 5th Dman I think they could live with the injury woes as long as he's making around 2mil. It also helps that some of the prospects are at a point where they should be capable of filling in on the bottom pairing if he get injured.

Lz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:53 AM
Meganuck*

Salo prob retires otherwise re-sign him.

If Ehrhoff doesnt sign, I'd offer sheet Shea Weber. 1st year 10mil, followed by a structure that brings his cap hit to around 5mil over 6 or 7 years. something like. 10,5,5,5,5,5,5 = 5.7mil.
I think the compensation is 1st , 2nd, 3rd.

The 10mil season 1 would be so that Nashville cant afford the salary. Similar to what NYR tried with Sakic.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:57 AM
Peter

Must re-signs for next season: Tambellini, Torres, Ehroff

Would be nice to re-sign but replacements could be found: Alberts, Glass

Who won't make it to next season: Bieksa, Sammy and Salo

In line for promotion: Hodgson, Shirokov, Oberg

Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:11 AM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post

In line for promotion: Hodgson, Shirokov, Oberg
Seeing as how Oberg can't make the Moose line up consistently and has been poor nearly every time he's played, I really don't think he's in line for a promotion.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

* Markov - you need to look at the video of his last 3 major injuries - seemingly innocuous plays turn into "finished for the season" - Canucks need to PASS big time on this one, even though when healthy he's one of the best in the league.

* Prospects - the cakes (lets hope they're not of the cup variety) are in the oven but they're not going to be ready for the 2011/12 season, or at least shouldn't be counted on.

* Salo - see no reason why he wouldn't come back - likes it here presumably, family man so its either Canucks or Finland for him, and not particularly pecuniary from my impression so would probably sign for reasonable money.

* Alberts - almost as big a priority to re-sign as Ehrhoff because of what he brings to the table - a no nonsense lunch pail bottom pairing guy for reasonable money - you can't maintain a contender without guys like that.

* Ehrhoff - definite re-sign but his value has dropped as he's still apt to panicking in our zone, IMO. 4.5M tops.

* Hansen and Tambellini - if they continue playing like that, with Hansen probably continuing to improve, they are due for substantial increases (+1M + 500K respectively?) and that will impact what is available for dmen.

* Ballard/Bieksa - really depends on how they acquit themselves in the playoffs, IMO. The only way both stay is if Salo retires.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:39 AM
LeftCoast

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
* Markov - you need to look at the video of his last 3 major injuries - seemingly innocuous plays turn into "finished for the season" - Canucks need to PASS big time on this one, even though when healthy he's one of the best in the league.

* Prospects - the cakes (lets hope they're not of the cup variety) are in the oven but they're not going to be ready for the 2011/12 season, or at least shouldn't be counted on.

* Salo - see no reason why he wouldn't come back - likes it here presumably, family man so its either Canucks or Finland for him, and not particularly pecuniary from my impression so would probably sign for reasonable money.

* Alberts - almost as big a priority to re-sign as Ehrhoff because of what he brings to the table - a no nonsense lunch pail bottom pairing guy for reasonable money - you can't maintain a contender without guys like that.

* Ehrhoff - definite re-sign but his value has dropped as he's still apt to panicking in our zone, IMO. 4.5M tops.

* Hansen and Tambellini - if they continue playing like that, with Hansen probably continuing to improve, they are due for substantial increases (+1M + 500K respectively?) and that will impact what is available for dmen.

* Ballard/Bieksa - really depends on how they acquit themselves in the playoffs, IMO. The only way both stay is if Salo retires.
I agree with the only exception being Salo. Salo has been a great player for us in the past, but the past is the past. I wouldn't sign him for anything more than about $1.5M and an understanding that he is a depth player. I have little confidence that he can return from this injury. Too much time away from the game at too great an age. As someone who is 10 (or more) years older than Salo, I can tell you that he is approaching an age where it not only takes more time to recover from injuries, but old injuries (of which he has many) start to slow you down.

I'd bring Salo back as an assistant coach - he he can communicate like a coach (and he is pretty good with the media), he could really show our young defensemen (Sauve, Connauton, Parent, etc.) a thing or two about how to play defense.

What we need on defense is a 2 year plan until Sauve, Connouton and Parent mature. Edler, Hamhuis and Ehrhoff (hopefully) and Ballard are a solid core to work with and if Bieksa is re-signed, all we really need is depth players.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Reign Nateo

Yeah pass on Markov. If we lose Ehrhoff I'd focus on Joni Pitkanen. Pretty underrated guy. But I think we'll see Ehrhoff back. Money and need is there.

Bieksa is likely gone. Salo depends a great deal on what happens through the rest of the season.

Lee Sweatt is the only guy in our system I could see being capable of filling an NHL role next season. I'd like to bring Alberts back.

Edler - Ehrhoff/Pitkanen
Hamhuis - Ballard
Parent/Alberts/Salo/Sweatt

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote