HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

D-Men in the off season

Old
01-02-2011, 11:22 AM
deckercky

vCash: 500
Ehrhoff should be resigned if at all possible.

I'd love to see Salo back for 2M or less (1 yr contract in case he decides to retire).

Alberts should definitely be resigned. He's a solid third pairing D and brings a physical edge to the team.

Bieksa I don't think we can afford. Someone will sign him to at least his current cap hit, and more than 2.5 or so is too much for our salary structure.

Parent plays for the Moose and hopefully develops to the point where he can contribute to the team another year down the road.

Edler
Ehrhoff (4.5-5)
Hamhuis
Ballard
Salo (1.5-2)
Alberts (1)
Rome

PS: I think the comment from Salo was that he wouldn't keep playing if he felt he'd injure himself and affect himself for the rest of his life.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

I also seem to recall Salo saying (when he signed his current deal) that he could be on his last contract, but whether it was a direct quote or an inference made by the author I couldn't say.

At any rate, based on his comments last time around (left millions on the table to keep his family in Vancouver) you'd have to think that Salo would be looking to stay here if he can get healthy again and looks to be in form. I wouldn't be opposed to signing him at a third-pairing type of salary.

Bieksa I would let walk, and Ehrhoff I would obviously try to re-sign.

In unrestricted free agency, Jonathan Ericsson and Mark Stuart are intriguing options if they make it that far. Both are just 26 and could conceivably be in the Canucks' price range.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
Risk vs. Reward.

Markov is in a different class than Erhoff, our depth moves this past year afford us the option to go all-in on Markov, not that I expect to see him available July 1
Regular season yes.

Post-season? Meh, he hardly has really distinguished himself (whenever he managed to stay healthy enough to actually play in the playoffs) in the post-season. Not terrible but not one would expect from someone of this ability.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Defence is a strong point now. I'd leave it alone.

In the instance of not being able to re-sign a free agent I'd like to see Connauton brought along briskly.

Salo has said before that this was his last year. He sounded pretty cautious about coming back this year, citing possible long term effects of his injury. I doubt he returns next season.

As far as free agents, I nominate Steve Montador, a good Richmond kid and right handed shot!
Yeah, this is how I kind of see things as well. With the emergence of Edler our top four next year (barring obscene contract demands by Ehrhoff) will be Edler, Ehrhoff, Hamhuis and Ballard. Happy with Alberts as a 6th guy, and Rome as a 7th. That basically leaves one or two players left - and you have to think Gillis will target a r handed shot.

Perhaps Bieksa will resign (never thought I'd say that, ugh) and if not I'm sure he'll target a cheaper #5 type guy like a Montado

Last edited by Diamonddog01: 01-02-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Yeah, this is how I kind of see things as well. With the emergence of Edler are top four next year (barring obscene contract demands by Ehrhoff) will be Edler, Ehrhoff, Hamhuis and Ballard. Happy with Alberts as a 6th guy, and Rome as a 7th. That basically leaves one or two players left - and you have to think Gillis will target a r handed shot.

Perhaps Bieksa will resign (never thought I'd say that, ugh) and if not I'm sure he'll target a cheaper #5 type guy like a Montador.
Edler (3.25) - Erhoff (4.5 - 5)
Hamhuis (4.5) - Bieksa (3.5)
Ballard (4.2) - Salo (2)
Alberts (1)

That's 23 - 23.5 mil on D

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) - Burrows (2)
Raymond (2.5) Kesler (5) - Tambellini (1)
Third line Wing (1.5) - Malhotra (2.5) - Samuelsson (2.5)
Glass (.65) - Fourth Line C (1.5) - Hansen (.95)

Lu (5.3)
Schneider (.9)

that's 29.3 in forwards and 6.2 in net but that's only 58.5 mil out of the 62mil salary cap

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

I'd also pass on Markov. His injury concerns are too much of a risk. I'd prefer the solid play and reliability of Erhoff. Better be safe then sorry right?

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Edler, Hamhuis and Ballard are all signed past this year.

Ehrhoff should be retained if his salary demands are reasonable.

Salo can come back if he's willing to take a massive paycut to account for the huge uncertainty in his health. Wouldn't be surprised if he just retired.

Bieksa is most likely gone before the end of the season which makes his return unlikely.

So we'll probably be going into next year with a top-4 of Edler, Ehrhoff, Ballard and Hamhuis. Our #5-7 can be any combination of retained depth (Alberts, Rome), prospects (Tanev, K-Conn, Sweatt, Parent) or decently cheap free agents (??).

Kind of an aside and I seriously doubt they let him go but if Montreal shies away from re-signing Markov he should absolutely be a #1 priority for us, even ahead of Ehrhoff in my opinion. Markov would be an absolutely beastly addition to our team.
Edler, Ballard, Hamhuis, and Rome are signed for next season.

Salo, Bieksa, Erhoff, and Alberts are UFA this summer.

Priority is to retain Erhoff at a reasonable rate. If Erhoff is aiming for $5 million, then the Nucks probably have to let him go. If it's reasonable in the $4 - $4.25 range, the Nucks should keep him.

Salo, he's in the 35+ group in the summer, so no multi-year deal for him.

Bieksa, I really can't trust retaining him on a multi-year deal. He's been way too inconsistent during his current contract.

Alberts, I'm indifferent on him.

As for prospects, I don't think any of them in Manitoba would be NHL ready next season.

KConn needs work in his own zone.
Sauve, lost most of this season, so he'll need another season in the minors.
Sweatt, haven't seen how he is doing in Manitoba.
Tanev and Oberg, again don't know enough about them to know if they would be NHL ready.

If any of them is on the NHL roster next season, it would be at the #7 spot, but I wouldn't want to move Rome into the #6 role. He's best at the #7 spot.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Edler (3.25) - Erhoff (4.5 - 5)
Hamhuis (4.5) - Bieksa (3.5)
Ballard (4.2) - Salo (2)
Alberts (1)

That's 23 - 23.5 mil on D

Raymond (2.5) Kesler (5) - Tambellini (1)
Third line Wing (1.5) - Malhotra (2.5) - Samuelsson (2.5)
Glass (.65) - Fourth Line C (1.5) - Hansen (.95)

Lu (5.3)
Schneider (.9)

that's 29.3 in forwards and 6.2 in net but that's only 58.5 mil out of the 62mil salary cap
Is the cap going up to 62 next year? Interesting. I believe Rome is signed and you've listed a 21 man roster as opposed to 23 - so there's another million or so.

Not sure if we will resign Bieksa to be honest, but we'd have room to upgrade there or perhaps some of that extra cap space could be used to upgrade the 2nd line (let's wait and see how the rest of the season unfolds before we pencil Tamby in to the 2nd line moving forward).

Regardless, we will be in a fairly enviable position this offseason methinks.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Is the cap going up to 62 next year? Interesting. I believe Rome is signed and you've listed a 21 man roster as opposed to 23 - so there's another million or so.

Not sure if we will resign Bieksa to be honest, but we'd have room to upgrade there or perhaps some of that extra cap space could be used to upgrade the 2nd line (let's wait and see how the rest of the season unfolds before we pencil Tamby in to the 2nd line moving forward).

Regardless, we will be in a fairly enviable position this offseason methinks.
Yeah it's gonna be 62 and I just did the main guys, didn't fill out the full roster.

I chose to put a re-signed Bieksa because there isn't much I would consider adding in the way of free agent Dmen in the market next season aside from possibly Hal Gill if he wanted to come cheap and everybody has said that KB3 is really important for the locker room. With not a lot of better talent out there, why not just stick with what we've already got if it's been working so far?

We've got 5 million in cap space if we re-sign Salo for cheap and re-sign Bieksa for the same as he's making now while only needing to improve on the 4th line.

I don't know about you guys but I like the thought of a 5 million dollar 4th line

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:41 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
Also recall Salo saying he would most likely retire after this current contract
no link

Whoever said sign Bieska to a pay cut is hallucinating
why would he do that

He is an UFA next summer and some team other than the Nucks will sign him to contract more that he's making now at $3.75m

He's back on his game and every other team sees that

So why would he hang around the Nucks and sign a discount? Silly
I also heard Salo retires after his contract is up. It was a quote from him almost 2 years ago.

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:43 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outraged666 View Post
I also heard Salo retires after his contract is up. It was a quote from him almost 2 years ago.
He said something like all he's playing for now is to win a Cup with the Canucks. He made it sound like he's not interested in signing anywhere else after this contract but I could see him coming back here on a 1 year deal to keep going after that Stanley Cup unless he wins it this year!

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:49 PM
keslehr*

Ehrhoff will sign for $4.75M, IMO. I also will guess that Salo will retire and we let Bieksa go, if he's with us at the end of the year. Hopefully AA stays with a modest raise ($1.15M?). As well, for the good of his career, Parent should get moved to another team.

Edler (3.25) - Ehrhoff (4.75)
Hamhuis (4.5) - Ballard (4.2)
Alberts (1.15) -

Rome (.750)

$18.6M committed to six D and plenty leftover to sign another. Pretty enviable position. Even if you adjust Ehrhoff to $5M, keep Parent and give Alberts another 100k, it's $19.875M for 7 d-men, still in pretty good shape.

As for forwards, currently there is $26.75M committed to seven forwards.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler -
- Malhotra - Samuelsson
??? - ??? - ???

One would hope Hodgson is ready to make the team next year and that Hansen will be returing for about a million dollars or less (I'll say 950k). That brings it up to $28.55M.

Raymond (2.55) - Kesler (5) - Hodgson (.850)
??? - Malhotra (2.5) - Samuelsson (2.5)
??? - ??? - Hansen (.950)

Edler (3.25) - Ehrhoff (4.75)
Hamhuis (4.5) - Ballard (4.2)
Alberts (1.15) - ???

Rome (.750)

Luongo (5.333)
Schneider (.900)

Total: $53.38M to 17 players, cap expected to go up to around 62M... Canucks are in great shape. Players such as Bolduc, Glass, Tambellini, Torres etc can be re-upped to fill some of the forward spots. Hodgson could also try his hand at 4th line C and the GMMG could sign a skilled player to complement him, and have the Canucks roll 4 lines.

Last edited by keslehr*: 01-02-2011 at 03:04 PM.
keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:00 PM
JAK

After playoffs

Trade Bieksa's rights Erhroff's rights, Shirokov and a 2nd for Weber's rights.

Now wouldn't that be fun.

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:04 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
After playoffs

Trade Bieksa's rights Erhroff's rights, Shirokov and a 2nd for Weber's rights.

Now wouldn't that be fun.
Bieksa Ehrhoff > Weber

01-02-2011, 03:17 PM
whoshouse

I'd love to bring in some one like Hal Gill, although I think he'd come at a hefty price. Guys like him are money come playoff time.

whoshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:19 PM
JAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Bieksa Erhroff > Weber
Bieksa + Erhroff's cap hit would > Weber's cap hit.

Think about it, with Bieksa and Erhroff, we'd have 5 top 4 dman again, and cap space is a premium.

Weber would log a lot more minutes, allowing us to carry a #6 dman that would need development time in the NHL.

With Salo looking to be gone next season, adding another top shot in Weber would be awesome, and he's not afraid to use his shot, like Salo.

Old
01-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Bieksa Ehrhoff > Weber
Ha! I said something approximating this a while ago and I was almost castrated. Having said that Weber - Edler would be a devastating top pair.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:24 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
Bieksa + Erhroff's cap hit would > Weber's cap hit.

Think about it, with Bieksa and Erhroff, we'd have 5 top 4 dman again, and cap space is a premium.

Weber would log a lot more minutes, allowing us to carry a #6 dman that would need development time in the NHL.

With Salo looking to be gone next season, adding another top shot in Weber would be awesome, and he's not afraid to use his shot, like Salo.
I'd rather have Ehrhoff (spelled it right this time!) than Weber. Weber would be nice no doubt though.

Also no way Nashville would do that trade anyways.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:25 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoshouse View Post
I'd love to bring in some one like Hal Gill, although I think he'd come at a hefty price. Guys like him are money come playoff time.
Have you ever watched Hal Gill play?

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Rageinthecage

As far as prospect d-men making the roster next season..that appears to be premature except perhaps Parent or Sweatt as a #7.

Imo, Tanev is the closest prospect to a full-time roster spot. Ask a Moose fan, the kid is quite poised. Doesn't excel especially in any particular area, just a solid, well-rounded, mature player. He's a darkhorse for next year...for sure the year after.

Connauton is a project still. He'll probably lead the defense in scoring 4-5 years down the line....but unless his defensive presence improves in leaps and bounds by then....he'll make Bieksa's last 2 seasons seem like shutdown material. Very talented prospect, but Connauton needs a couple years of Moose seasoning.

Oberg's 2 games last season may be the closest he ever comes to a Canuck game again. Tanev, Connauton, Sauve, Andersson, and even Polasek are better long-term prospects already....and Parent, Sweatt, Paetsch (is he a free agent this summer??), and any other newly signed, offseason d-man depth will be called up long before Oberg next year. He's still young, but he should have figured out the AHL game a bit more by now. Oberg and Walsky are probably Gillis' first official busts...good thing they weren't draft picks.

Rageinthecage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
The Canucks should go after Eric Brewer.
He is a BC boy, and a leader.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:08 PM
JAK

The prospects, and as well as Rome can fight it out for the 6th spot.

Rome has #7 locked up though, because if a kid wasn't going to make regular line up, he might as well play in minors for more ice time and development.

Our forward group is going to get older again next season, I hope some of our kids can step into the line up.

Old
01-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslehr View Post
As for forwards, currently there is $26.75M committed to seven forwards.

One would hope Hodgson is ready to make the team next year and that Hansen will be returing for about a million dollars or less (I'll say 950k). That brings it up to $28.55M.
My understanding of the CBA rules is that next season, being the last year of the current CBA calls for all rookie bonuses to be included in next year's cap. There will be no carry forward of rookie bonuses.

So, for Hodgson, even though his salary and signing bonus is $875K, he is eligible for $850K of rookie bonuses, which must be accounted for next season. So, Hodgson would need a cap hit of $1.667 million of the $62 million cap max.

For NJ, if they land one of the top picks in the coming draft, they might not be able to play that kid next season as, using Taylor Hall's cap hit as an example, Hall is eligible for $2.2 million in rookie bonuses, along with his $900K salary. So, the Devils would need $3 million in cap space for their top pick next season if they play him.

That's the wild card for the off-season. Fehr isn't ready to begin CBA negotiations until the summer and it's not likely a new deal will be reached prior to the start of the NHL season in 11-12. So, it does appear that rookie bonuses would need to be accounted for next season. Something to keep in mind when calling up Schroeder and company.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:59 PM
whoshouse

Quote:
Have you ever watched Hal Gill play?
Yes, have you?..

He was one of the biggest reasons why Montreal made it as far as they did through the playoffs last year. He blocks shots, plays amazing defense and brings a presence to the back end. That is what this team is missing. A defensive defense-man.

whoshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:06 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoshouse View Post
Yes, have you?..

He was one of the biggest reasons why Montreal made it as far as they did through the playoffs last year. He blocks shots, plays amazing defense and brings a presence to the back end. That is what this team is missing. A defensive defense-man.
I did not know The A Train was an offensive defenseman.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote