HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

D-Men in the off season

Old
01-02-2011, 05:07 PM
JAK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoshouse View Post
Yes, have you?..

He was one of the biggest reasons why Montreal made it as far as they did through the playoffs last year. He blocks shots, plays amazing defense and brings a presence to the back end. That is what this team is missing. A defensive defense-man.
You do realize we currently is one of the most complete teams, right? That we have the 2nd lowest goals against currently, and we are on pace to seriously challenge the president's trophy.

If anything, Andrew Alberts is our Hal Gill. Not flashy, plays physical, and generally "reliable" as long as you don't pitch him against Crosby.

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I don't see the team letting Ehrhoff walk. I think he will be locked up to a nice extension before the trade deadline, if not the playoffs. He, Edler, Hamhuis and Ballard will be the nucleus of our top four going forward.

I think either by trade or UFA, Bieksa will be gone. He has been very solid, but I don't think he is worth a $3.75m~ price tag to keep around. He could probably get that or better on the open market. Salo could be a guy the Canucks look at for a bonus laden deal, and he could have a sense of loyalty to Vancouver after having been here for so long. But we'll have to see how the rest of the season goes.

Alberts, IMO, will probably test the UFA waters. He could likely see more dollars and more minutes on a team with a weaker back end, leaving our defense as: Ehrhoff, Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard and Rome. Rome is really ideal as a 7th man, so I think that leaves us needing two bottom pairing defenders capable of 5/6th man minutes.

Local boy Steve Montador, currently playing in Buffalo, would be a nice addition to the back end. Solid two way ability and loves the physical going. Mark Stuart, currently on Boston, would be another guy I'd look at. Hal Gill is long on experience and, provided the price was right, could make a decent addition to the bottom pairing.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
The Canucks should go after Eric Brewer.
He is a BC boy, and a leader.
Brewer was actually one of the first names that came to mind, but he'd likely be too expensive. Would be absolutely awesome if we could get him on a (very) sweetheart deal, though.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoshouse View Post
Yes, have you?..

He was one of the biggest reasons why Montreal made it as far as they did through the playoffs last year. He blocks shots, plays amazing defense and brings a presence to the back end. That is what this team is missing. A defensive defense-man.
If you're looking for a defensive defenseman Jan Hejda is your target long before Hal Gill. Hejda is big and physical like Gill but more mobile and better in his own zone.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:26 PM
keslehr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
My understanding of the CBA rules is that next season, being the last year of the current CBA calls for all rookie bonuses to be included in next year's cap. There will be no carry forward of rookie bonuses.

So, for Hodgson, even though his salary and signing bonus is $875K, he is eligible for $850K of rookie bonuses, which must be accounted for next season. So, Hodgson would need a cap hit of $1.667 million of the $62 million cap max.
Well, if Hodgson is ready to play and earns his spot, I'm sure GMMG wouldn't mind paying him his full stipend. Nor would I.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:38 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
After playoffs

Trade Bieksa's rights Erhroff's rights, Shirokov and a 2nd for Weber's rights.

Now wouldn't that be fun.
Nash is team that trades away players right not for players rights. There is a reason for this, they are not an attractive UFA destination and not a huge spending team. Bieksa and Ehrhoff rights are worthless tp Nashville. We aren't getting Weber for Shirokov and a 2nd. Someone like Ballard, signed for many years on an affordable deal, would appeal to them much more.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:41 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Bieksa Ehrhoff > Weber
Not to Nashville. 2 UFAs who would walk vs stud RFA. If you signed both Bieksa and Erhrhoff then traded them the next day to Nashville, maybe, but I don't see Gillis doing that to 2 UFAs-to-be.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:18 PM
keslehr*

Revisiting my lineup:

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) - Burrows (2)
Raymond (2.55) - Kesler (5) - Hodgson (.850)
??? - Malhotra (2.5) - Samuelsson (2.5)
??? - ??? - Hansen (.950)

Edler (3.25) - Ehrhoff (4.75)
Hamhuis (4.5) - Ballard (4.2)
Alberts (1.15) - ???

Rome (.750)

Luongo (5.333)
Schneider (.900)

Total: $54.197M to 17 players, cap expected to go to $62M.

Now if GMMG could get Upshall for $2.5M (1 year) and Montador for $1.85M, re-sign Torres for 1.35M and Tambellini for 1M, here's the lineup:

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) - Burrows (2)
Raymond (2.55) - Kesler (5) - Tambellini (1)
Torres (1.35) - Malhotra (2.5) - Samuelsson (2.5)
Upshall (2.5) - Hodgson (1.667) - Hansen (.950)

Edler (3.25) - Ehrhoff (4.75)
Hamhuis (4.5) - Ballard (4.2)
Alberts (1.15) - Montador (1.85)

Rome (.750)

Luongo (5.333)
Schneider (.900)

Total: $60.897M for 21 players, only missing one (extra) forward (whoever makes the team from Manitoba, or Glass). This would make the Canucks a 4 line team and the team could switch from Malhotra to Hodgson on 4th line whenever. With this level of depth Hodgson would get plenty of icetime compared to regular 4th lines.

To dream...

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslehr View Post
Well, if Hodgson is ready to play and earns his spot, I'm sure GMMG wouldn't mind paying him his full stipend. Nor would I.
Of course. It's just something that will affect the team's speanding. Hodgson is a $1.67 million cap hit if he's on the roster next season, not the $875K of his salary.

Just means $850K less to spend on the rest of the roster.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:23 PM
kanuck87

My ideal off-season for the defense core would be to let Bieksa and Salo walk, re-sign Alberts, Rome, Ehrhoff and sign Pitkanen for around 5.25 million a season.

Edler- Ehrhoff
Hamhuis- Pitkanen
Ballard-Alberts
Rome

This would be hot.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:27 PM
The Big Foot

If Ehrhoff walks, I'd target Pitkanen. Other than that, I'd let Bieksa sign elsewhere (if he isn't already gone), and offer Salo an incentive laden one year deal. Jan Hejda could be a great insurance policy if Salo retires/gets hurt again. I'd like Alberts back, Rome gone, leaving an opportunity for Connauton and Sweatt to be the eighth defenseman.
So adding it up looks like - Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, Ehrhoff/Pitkanen, Salo/Hejda, Alberts, Sweatt.
If I was betting I'd put my money on the status quo - bye bye Bieksa, but everyone else back.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:27 PM
AlvintheChoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Must re-signs for next season: Tambellini, Torres, Ehroff

Would be nice to re-sign but replacements could be found: Alberts, Glass

Who won't make it to next season: Bieksa, Sammy and Salo

In line for promotion: Hodgson, Shirokov, Oberg
?

But I agree we need to sign Erhoff, and we probably will, especially considering he said he wants to stay, but if for some reason he does leave, I would target Pitkanen before Markov. That is not a knock on Markov, but I would prefer if we sign Pitkanen over Markov.

AlvintheChoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:48 PM
sushi45

Hamhuis/Ballard/Edler: Leave them alone

Bieksa/Salo: Resign at a lower price. I dont see any reaosn why Salo wont want to come back.

Ehrhoff: Resign at around the same price (4M max)

Alberts: Around a million per year for 1-2 years

sushi45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:38 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi45 View Post

Bieksa/Salo: Resign at a lower price. I dont see any reaosn why Salo wont want to come back.
Why would Bieksa sign for significantly lower than he is making now? IMO, with Bieksa, if he is playing the way he did the last couple of seasons, he's not worth holding a roster spot or salary cap space for. If he is playing the way he has played this season, he is worth every penny of his pay.

Quote:

LeftCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Lz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
I'd rather have Ehrhoff (spelled it right this time!) than Weber. Weber would be nice no doubt though.

Also no way Nashville would do that trade anyways.
He's proposing an offer sheet that Nashville might not be able to financially match due to offering a couple years near the max salary.
AKA. 10,10,4,4,4,4,4 which would have a 5.71mil cap hit with manageable compensation.

I think he would be a good fit, other then a little less mobility overall depending on the bottom pairing, but at the same time I think giving Weber a large contract would probably result in the team having to shell out more money for Edler when it's time to resign.

Last edited by Lz68: 01-02-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Lz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi45 View Post

Erhoff would get 5 at Free Agency, we'll end up giving him around 4.5 - 5

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:55 PM
thefeebster

I actually saw Brewer practicing at the UBC rink with his skating coach this summer. I watched for maybe 15 minutes. At first i had no idea who it was since he was wearing his blues jersey, but with no name on the back. He was practicing outlet passes, then i headed over to the Canuck practice. What do you think his price tag would be?

Didn't know Montador was a UFA, i'd like to see him as a Canuck, even if we do resign Alberts.

What are people watching to see Ehrhoff as a $4M MAX defenseman? If i were him, i'd be a tiny bit shocked (offended) if offered that number. I am willing to go $5M (which is what i think he wants) and $5.5 at max.

EDIT: Eeekk STL boards saying around $4M for Brewer. I'll pass if its at the expense of Ehrhoff.

Last edited by thefeebster: 01-03-2011 at 12:07 AM.
thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Likely an urban myth. Someone says they heard it then others base their memory on that.

I follow things pretty closely and I have never heard Salo say any such thing. I have heard him say he is late in his career and time may be running out for a Stanley Cup but that is something quite different than is being claimed.

I have access to newspaper archives for those articles not stored on-line. One would expect that if he had said such a thing it would be big news and there would be a record. There is none that I can find.
I think a tv analyst speculated that. But I agree there has nothing been said by him that he is retiring at season's end.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:01 AM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz68 View Post
He's proposing an offer sheet that Nashville might not be able to financially match due to offering a couple years near the max salary.
AKA. 10,10,4,4,4,4,4 which would have a 5.71mil cap hit with manageable compensation.

I think he would be a good fit, other then a little less mobility overall depending on the bottom pairing, but at the same time I think giving Weber a large contract would probably result in the team having to shell out more money for Edler when it's time to resign.
$8m is in the 4 firsts range is in not?

4 firsts for Weber when it isn't a pressing need? NOOOOO...

Last edited by HeadLikeAnOrange*: 01-03-2011 at 02:11 AM.
HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Lz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
$8m is in the 4 firsts range is in not?

4 firsts for Weber when it isn't a pressing need? NOOOOO...
Just refreshing myself on RFA compensation and it is based on the average salary for up to 5 years which is a little different then I though so the numbers I mentioned would have to be tweaked slightly to reduce the compensation. So a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks would be all that is required for the following contract; 10,10,3.3,3.3,3.3,5,5

Last edited by Lz68: 01-03-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old
01-03-2011, 10:53 AM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz68 View Post
Compensation is based on the average salary so it would only be a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd.
Not how it works, you can't just give him $10m the first couple seasons to keep Nashville from matching and then tack on a bunch more years of lower salary to get into a lower compensation bracket.

Compensation is based on total contract value (40m) / 5 which is $8m and I believe 4 1sts.

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Lz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
Not how it works, you can't just give him $10m the first couple seasons to keep Nashville from matching and then tack on a bunch more years of lower salary to get into a lower compensation bracket.

Compensation is based on total contract value (40m) / 5 which is $8m and I believe 4 1sts.
Thanks for clarifying it.

Old
01-03-2011, 12:15 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

What are people watching to see Ehrhoff as a $4M MAX defenseman? If i were him, i'd be a tiny bit shocked (offended) if offered that number. I am willing to go $5M (which is what i think he wants) and $5.5 at max.

EDIT: Eeekk STL boards saying around $4M for Brewer. I'll pass if its at the expense of Ehrhoff.
Where does signing Ehrhoff at 5.5 million/season put our negotiations with his crutch, Edler?

Edler gets at least 6.5-7/year if Ehrhoff is at 5.5 in my honest opinion.

Ehrhoff-5.5
Hamhuis-5
Ballard-4.2
Edler???

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Where does signing Ehrhoff at 5.5 million/season put our negotiations with his crutch, Edler?
I'm just ecstatic Ehrhoff survived after we dealt his crutch from last year Shane O'Brien. Like you, I also thought he would fall apart after the loss of Shane the brain. I still can't believe we dealt the guy that was the driving force behind Ehrhoff's 9th place finish in Norris voting, +35 season and excellent offensive production.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:25 PM
deckercky

It's a few years down the line, so the cap will be different and there'll be a new CBA. Edler will get what he gets when he resigns. Edler will also be signing as an RFA won't he, which tends to give the team a slight discount?

I hope Ehrhoff can be resigned at 5 per year. He could get 5.5-6 likely elsewhere, but I think the Canucks to an extent were a perfect storm for Ehrhoff (and vice versa).

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote