HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

D-Men in the off season

Old
01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
goalie311

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
You do dat, you go to da box, you know. Two minute, by yourself, you know and you feel shame, you know. And then you get free.

goalie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 08:05 AM
0123456789*

The Canucks have cap space to resign both Ehrhoff and Bieksa. And to at the same time resign Hansen to a nice raise and resign either Torres for the same(unlikely) or someone else in a similiar situation to him this year. After all this they could easily get guys like Bolduc and Glass again in to the lineup for similiar contracts and even fit Hodgson and maybe Salo(with the right contract) in to the lineup.

Really there are no problems and the team is so well set for next year and even in to the future.

Also keep in mind Salo qualifies for bonuses in his contract as 35 and over player and as player who hasnt played enough this year due to injury. With a bonus filled contract it becomes a option to resign him if he still can play and wants to play, with the bonuses you dont run in to problems like this year as a properly structured contract would allow the cap hit to slide down incase of missed games(due to injury). Just need games played bonuses, its a risk for Salo but I think at this point of his career(if he can still benefit the team) moving cities for one year just for a bit more money and leaving one of the top teams and deepest dcores that can shelter his minuits at his age if needed would probably not be a good choice. In the end though it will depend on what Gillis plans are and he might just want to part ways at this point, although a one year deal with bonuses if Salo shows he can play sounds pretty good for a good veteran right handed dman, especially since contracts with bonus add flexibility to the team cap structure.

Ehrhoff wont get less than 4.5 for a longer term deal(something that Gillis would be looking for), and 5mill would be probably a safer bet.
Bieksa would get Ballard type money, so a minimum of 4 but more likely 4.2 or maybe even up to 4.5. Personally I would look at Ballards contract as a good example.
Salo is a complete guess but assuming all goes well he could get a one year 1.5mill+1.5mill bonus contract for a total of 3mill assuming all bonuses reached(games played the main or only one).

With a cap increase of roughly 2mill to 62mill(projected)

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Mason Raymond ($2.550m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.000m)
Cody Hodgson ($1.666m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($2.500m)
Victor Oreskovich ($0.500m) / Alexandre Bolduc ($0.500m) / Raffi Torres ($1.000m)
Tanner Glass ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.200m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($5.000m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Sami Salo ($3.000m)
/ Aaron Rome ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m) /Cory Schneider ($0.900m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,199,999; BONUSES: $2,350,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): -$1,199,999
This line up has bonuses that if 50% of them were reached(Hodgson and Salo(3mill contract with 1.5 being bonuses) then the team would be at the cap limit with no carry over to the next year from the bonus cushion. As the season progresses you simply manage the cap through moves, call ups, call downs, etc. but in any case Hodgson can reach a max of around 215grand in performance bonuses but the minimums required by the league would be hard if not impossible for him to reach on this team, the rest of his bonuses are for NHL awards, the only chance he has is the rookie one and in his position that will again be almost impossible to reach(the details of how much and for what award is unknow but is is the rest of his bonuses) and if he does reach some than great. Also I should add that the bonus cushion is 7.5%.

As far as Salo goes, lets say he gets hurt and plays only 40 games, well for 40 games the team would have a LTIR exemption of 1.5 mill to bring someone else up(there will be depth added and even some young player on the Moose might earn a chance for some sheltered minuits, plus we still have Rome if he doesnt lose his spot as there will be players brought in again and competition will be fierce). At the same time Salos payable bonuses can be cut from 1.5mill to 750grand and as a result his cap hit will end up being only 2.25mill instead of 3mill while he still puts in 40 games and someone else gets covered under the LTIR exemption to fill in for him for the other 40 games. It works much better than this year since the more games he misses the more cap space you gain for the year to be able to bring in more capable players that can cover for him for longer periods of time. You even have the unwise option of diping in to the bonus cushion so to speak and using it to exceed the cap, however you would then lower the next years cap. Lets say by the trade deadline the team is exactly at the cap as most bonuses are projected to be unreachable by then but a need comes up to bring in a player for lets say 750 grand, well you can do that and exceed the cap because Salos 750 grand in bonuses left is in the bonus cushion and not part of the real team cap until the end of the season at which point it is carried forward to the next year if there is no cap room left to absorb it.

Last edited by 0123456789*: 01-08-2011 at 09:15 AM.
0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:12 AM
jammyrft

re-sign bieksa
let salo walk

save the cap room for whatever the team is lacking (someone to fill in sammy's spot) and probably another 2nd/3rd liner

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:31 AM
0123456789*

Steve Montador is a interesting option for a 6th dman, the only problem I see is that he is 32 and leaving his prime and will want a multy year contract. Gillis has shown he shies away from signing older players like that and prefers player in the 25-28 age range as you get the biggest bang for your buck with this age group. Not to mention that if Ehrnhoff and Bieksa are resigned it will definitely be longer term contracts(most likely 4-6 years each) and with Ballard and Hamhuis being locked up and Edler signed and at the end of his contract likely extended I doubt Gillis would want anything more than a one year deal for the 6th spot.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:50 AM
keslehr*

The best thing about this team is, not only are we first in the league, we are in a position to actually get BETTER in the offseason.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslehr View Post
The best thing about this team is, not only are we first in the league, we are in a position to actually get BETTER in the offseason.
We might get better but other teams around the league will likely get better as well especially teams like LA and Colorado that have a ton of young talent and cap space.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Avery4Byng*

Did anyone else hear the cller in Pratt&Taylor on Friday that claimed he had an 'inside source with the canucks'. Anyways he claimed that the reason Shea Weber has not re-signed in Nashville is because he wants to come to Vancouver. Have not heard that one before, Weber would probably want 7 Mill plus so it would defiately cause a revamp on the blueline.

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:45 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
This line up has bonuses that if 50% of them were reached(Hodgson and Salo(3mill contract with 1.5 being bonuses) then the team would be at the cap limit with no carry over to the next year from the bonus cushion.
There is no bonus cushion next year because the CBA is set to expire at the end of the 11-12 season. All salaries, including bonuses, must fit under the upper limit next season.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery4Byng View Post
Did anyone else hear the cller in Pratt&Taylor on Friday that claimed he had an 'inside source with the canucks'. Anyways he claimed that the reason Shea Weber has not re-signed in Nashville is because he wants to come to Vancouver. Have not heard that one before, Weber would probably want 7 Mill plus so it would defiately cause a revamp on the blueline.
RFA, not UFA. Even if this caller was true(I'm sure he thinks the voices in his head are a legitimate source), no way for the Canucks to acquire Weber without giving up major assets.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:58 PM
adamzilla

How would an inside source for the Canucks know what Weber wants? If Weber actually expressed a desire to Nashville to come to Vancouver, I doubt they'd let Vancouver know that information. They'd lose leverage in a possible trade.

adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
He's not going to get 5. He'll be very lucky to get 4.5 million.
I don't think Erhoff at 4.5 is realistic.

Hamhuis had teams lined up to give him 4.5 and I think a consistent 45+ point guy like Erhoff will get even more interest.

Given the cap is going up again, I think the market value for erhoff will be in the 5 to 5.5 range so if the canucks can get him in at 5 or less that would be a very nice deal for them.

To be honest I would be fine paying full market value for Erhoff. The Canucks have done a great job getting their core locked up to value contracts, if they have to go full pull on anyone it should be a guy like Erhoff who fits their system like a glove and has been incredibly consistent for 3 seasons.

Potatoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:43 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Honestly, it's dangerous to speculate on the future in the middle of a major hot streak like this, and it's even more difficult to speculate until we know what will happen with this 'salo situation', but i'd be quite content to see our defence essentially remain the same as it is right now.

Next year:
-re-sign Ehrhoff. hope for a ~$4.5M deal, basically a carbon-copy of the Hamhuis deal. realistically probably closer to $5M, and go with a shorter term length.
-re-sign Bieksa. if he's willing to basically extend on a short term basis for something around the $3.75M he's at now. if he wants more, or a really long-term deal, you let him walk i guess.
-re-sign Alberts. hopefully willing to stick around for 1 more year at around the $1M ballpark he's at now. if not, bottom-pairing guys are relatively replaceable.

-Salo walks. he's just too much of a risk now, unless he's willing to go in for a ridiculously budget-minded contract in the $1.5M or less range. even then it'd be a 1-yr thing, and still a tough decision.

essentially gives you the same d-corps as what we have now, albeit at an inflated salary load. have to hope the cap increase covers at least some of it.

edler-ehrhoff
hamhuis-bieksa
alberts-ballard
*rome

*add in Parent as an 7/8th d-man competing with Rome if they're gonna carry 8.

hard to argue with success.

The young guys are all still a ways off, so you roll with vets for another year. After next year, you have a chance to re-evaluate how the young guys are coming along and opportunities to slot them into the NHL lineup as contracts expire.

-Connauton looks like he's still at least a couple more years away. Hopefully he'll be able to step in 3+ years from now as a replacement for Ehrhoff whenever his next contract expires.

-Sauve will probably be best served by another full year playing big minutes in the AHL next season, but will probably make a solid 1st/2nd call-up with his waiver status.
-Tanev will also need another year or two in the AHL to mature physically and in his game as a whole.
*these guys will hopefully be ready for NHL spots as Alberts/Rome contracts expire. slowly replacing Vets with young guys moving up. eventually you get a bit more room opening up as Bieksa moves on in 2-3 years.

the other prospects are real questionmarks and i wouldn't plan on them as part of the future. if they make it eventually, it's a bonus and you deal with that if it happens.
I know I'll be in the minority, but I completely agree with this post. I'm ambivalent on Parent and Rome, but re-signing Ehrhoff, Bieksa, and Alberts while letting Salo go is exactly what I'm in favor of. They're playing great and as long as the numbers make sense there is no need to overhaul the D.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:02 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery4Byng View Post
Weber has buddies here. He was telling anyone he met how much he likes Vancouver during the Olympics.

I wouldn't be surprised he comes here sooner than the deadline. If he says he won't stay in Nashville, Vancouver is an attractive destination to any player and Gillis has done trades with Poile.(Is David Poile related to Bud, the old Canuck GM?)

Weber might cost the Canucks a range of picks and prospects. Two first rounders and Eddie Lack might do it. I suggest Lack because of his similarity to Rinne, physically. Coaching might be simplified.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:07 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Jack Johnson just signed 7 years add in LA for about $4.4 mil/year average... man I hope we can get Ehrhoff at that.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Weber has buddies here. He was telling anyone he met how much he likes Vancouver during the Olympics.

I wouldn't be surprised he comes here sooner than the deadline. If he says he won't stay in Nashville, Vancouver is an attractive destination to any player and Gillis has done trades with Poile.(Is David Poile related to Bud, the old Canuck GM?)

Weber might cost the Canucks a range of picks and prospects. Two first rounders and Eddie Lack might do it. I suggest Lack because of his similarity to Rinne, physically. Coaching might be simplified.
Bud Poile is David's father.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Trolt

good grief, if we had salo, weber and edler winding up for slapshots all in one season.

Anyways, would anyone do weber for kesler straight up ? I think it'll do more harm than good, being that the incremental increase weber would bring, compared to how kesler can carry a line (at a decent cap hit too)

Trolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:51 PM
BluesyShoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I doubt that would be enough. Nashville has plenty of goaltending, and chances are our firsts are going to be late picks. Just an offer sheet for Weber will cost us at least 2 firsts, a second and third, and I would not be shocked to see the compensation hit 4 firsts. Offer sheets also imply a bidding war, so to trade for his rights, he would be even more valuable than his offer sheet compensation suggests since we could sign him to a lower cap-hit, even take him to arbitration if we wanted.

Anyone think Nashville should take him to arbitration?

BluesyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:05 PM
JuniorNelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Bud Poile is David's father.
Thanks, Wet. I thought he was a relation of some sort.

BlueseyShoes, you are right, of course. I was thinking of Weber as a rental, but that might not be the case. Nashville will want more than my imagined return.

If Salo retires (he might not, too, I looked all over for the quote of him saying it was likely his last season, but couldn't find it) Weber would do.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Who can predict the future? The plan was to trade for Ballard and trade Bieksa away. Instead you have Salo getting injured and Bieksa turning his career around.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolt View Post
Anyways, would anyone do weber for kesler straight up ? I think it'll do more harm than good, being that the incremental increase weber would bring, compared to how kesler can carry a line (at a decent cap hit too)
No.

Schneider, Schroeder, Shirokov, 1st in 2011, 1st in 2012

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:23 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
No.

Schneider, Schroeder, Shirokov, 1st in 2011, 1st in 2012
Nashville will want more, and will get offered more, than that. They've managed their salary structure and have new management, new corporate sponsors and much better attendance figures that they'll just match up to the point where it wouldn't be worth it for us to pay him given our cap issues.

Their new ownership chair has said on radio that they know what Weber wants and are happy to pay it, and I imagine that all factored into their decision to make him their new captain. Everything Weber has said publicly has implied he's in Nashville for the long-term.

But for argument's sake, if Nashville did have to unload him, they'd have zero interest in a goaltender as they're ridiculously deep in net. They'd need forward help, and for a franchise defenseman, promising prospects and draft picks just won't cut it. Weber is a RFA and for even one year's worth of his time, Nashville could get a king's ransom from other teams.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:33 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Ballard would be a prime option for Nashville if that could be arranged. Top 4, 2-way, longish contract, affordable $4.2m contract. Ballard takes over the hole on defense that Weber vacated. The question would be just how much extra would it take, and if Ballard would accept it.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Nashville will want more, and will get offered more, than that. They've managed their salary structure and have new management, new corporate sponsors and much better attendance figures that they'll just match up to the point where it wouldn't be worth it for us to pay him given our cap issues.

Their new ownership chair has said on radio that they know what Weber wants and are happy to pay it, and I imagine that all factored into their decision to make him their new captain. Everything Weber has said publicly has implied he's in Nashville for the long-term.

But for argument's sake, if Nashville did have to unload him, they'd have zero interest in a goaltender as they're ridiculously deep in net. They'd need forward help, and for a franchise defenseman, promising prospects and draft picks just won't cut it. Weber is a RFA and for even one year's worth of his time, Nashville could get a king's ransom from other teams.
Yeah I know that's low, I was just trying to think what Gillis would give up for him and tbqh I've got no idea. I think it's far more likely to see him try and poach an RFA this off-season. Doughty or Weber would look great in Canuck uniforms....

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:30 PM
BluesyShoes

This has got me thinking that, logistically, it would probably be a lot easier for us to land Suter this year (either now or in the summer.) He makes 3.5M till he hits UFA in 2012. Offer Nashville a nice package of forwards (Raymond?) and picks. He should be much cheaper than Weber since Suter's only under contract for one year. However, seeing as how we are the cat's meow at the moment, maybe Gillis can convince him to resign.

BluesyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Wisp

If Weber comes to Vancouver, it's because he really wants to be here. I don't think we can match what Nashville will pay, and he will have to sign for a hefty discount.

Then again, if we've become the team that where players will do that to live and play here...

Wisp is online now   Reply With Quote