Notices

feaster on after hours: flames NOT trading away core

Old
01-02-2011, 12:09 AM
sem1

vCash: 500
feaster on after hours: flames NOT trading away core

just watched feaster on after hours

take it for what its worth, he said NONE of the core is going to be traded. of course he's not gonna outright say his plans, but i really cant see a general manager be as specific as he was there. he even went as far as to name names, iginla, bouw, gio, regehr and kiprusoff. maybe if we fall out of the playoff race one or two of those names go for the right price, but i beleive and in my opinion from that interveiw it dosent look like a full blow up is going to happen under feaster/if he keeps the job after the season.

if hes planning on doing he opposite of what he said, hes got me fooled for one

thoughts? believe him? agree with his direcetion?

sem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:15 AM
crazyforhockey

At the very least he has to set himself(or appear to other GM's)to hold his core unless he gets good prices otherwise it will be better to look at the draft to move up

which sutter failed to do in the Dion trade.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Signature
Kings of the Rebuild

vCash: 50
Interesting tactic... saying what he should in order to maybe drive up value...

personally, if the core were to be traded, I was hoping for that sort of stuff to happen around the deadline... I think we get the most value there.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:21 AM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Agree somewhat. He is probably just saying that to give his core a confidence boost and reasurral that they are not playing just to be traded. Of course if this season goes downward even more then pieces like iginla, kipper, and regehr have to go but outside of that i don't see the little parts moving because if all the NMC and NTC that sutter has given this team. Its tough to take on a full rebuild with ageing players with high salaries. Sure their value is high but strap on a No trade or NMC and it suddenly becomes a bit of a challenge to find a deal that works for the player and the organization. For this team to be a full rebuild within a year or 2 will be tough

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:33 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys View Post
Interesting tactic... saying what he should in order to maybe drive up value...
Interesting tactic? An interesting tactic would be to get a paparazzi photographer to get some compromising photos of his wife, photo-shop her next to a naked Jay Feaster or Ken King, release them to the public, then while watching the maelstrom refuse to trade Iginla unless someone pays hand over fist to get him. All the while keeping him locked up until they do.

It might not get the best results, I am not an expert at these things, but it would be interesting.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:04 AM
slappipappi

Calgary cannot win without changing its core.

When you have an aging core (i.e. one that as a group is regressing, not improvong) who play collectively below its salary cap, you cannot be an elite team.

With every team only having so mucj money to commit to its team, you simply can't have success when your core players play under their salary cap value. And if that fact cannot change (which is the case when your core, as a group, is regressing) your team's fortunes cannot largely change.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:09 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Its tough to take on a full rebuild with ageing players with high salaries. Sure their value is high but strap on a No trade or NMC and it suddenly becomes a bit of a challenge to find a deal that works for the player and the organization.
I disagree that aging players with high cap hits have much (if any) value, other than for other aging playwers with big cap hits. You may be able to move them for esentially cap releif with little real value going your way, or you may be able to get some good prosepects if you also take some bad salary back (the more likely scenario), but it will be almost impossible to get quality prospects and cheap prospects when trading any aging player with a big cap hit, especially when that cap hit is lengthy.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Again what is Feaster supposed to say?

"Yes I am looking at all options to trade Iginla"

"I have had mulitple talks with other GM's about moving Kipper, Regehr and Bouwmeester. It is my full intention to have all these players moved by the deadline"

I do believe Feaster when he says he wants to evaluate players right now, and have a flexible plan depending on the teams performance. The Flames have currently won 3 straight, so he is giving them a vote of confidence and trying to create a "positive" environment in the dressing room to see if they can't get this thing turned around. If he does create that environment, and they still fail, then more than likely the core will be blown up and my guess is that Iggy, Regehr and Kipper will all get traded.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Lunatik*

does this shock anyone?... they have made it clear they are going to try and make the playoffs and then re-evaluate in the offseason if they miss the playoffs... they aren't going to trade core guys while trying to make that push

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:38 PM
WebSlinger

I really like Feaster after hearing him talk on after hours and in recent radio sessions. Hes a smart, knowledgeable, no BS kind of guy. I hope the ship rights beneath him and the last half of the season proves very exciting and *sigh* competitive...

WebSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:58 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
I disagree that aging players with high cap hits have much (if any) value, other than for other aging playwers with big cap hits. You may be able to move them for esentially cap releif with little real value going your way, or you may be able to get some good prosepects if you also take some bad salary back (the more likely scenario), but it will be almost impossible to get quality prospects and cheap prospects when trading any aging player with a big cap hit, especially when that cap hit is lengthy.
So what kinda of return van iginla get in you mind? He is an aging player with a high cap hit but on a contending team iginlas value can be enormous despite his salary because he can score, fight, and carries leadership qualities that are essential to a team making a run in the playoffs.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:37 PM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
So what kinda of return van iginla get in you mind? He is an aging player with a high cap hit but on a contending team iginlas value can be enormous despite his salary because he can score, fight, and carries leadership qualities that are essential to a team making a run in the playoffs.
Brayden Schenn, Thomas Hickey and a 1st. Every game at the WJC makes me think this is a deal Calgary has to make ASAP; Schenn is gonna be special.

Iggy is still almost a PPG guy despite his slow start, and that little detail that he has nobody to take the pressure off him. Set him up with Kopitar, he'll hit 50 next year.

HarrySPlinkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:39 PM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
does this shock anyone?... they have made it clear they are going to try and make the playoffs and then re-evaluate in the offseason if they miss the playoffs... they aren't going to trade core guys while trying to make that push
Pretty much; though I would add that Feaster said on the Fan that they will have to evaluate at the deadline and be 'intellectually honest' about their playoff chances. If this team is still in lottery position mid-February, you can bet phone calls will be taken regarding the availability of Iggy, Regehr, etc.

HarrySPlinkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:07 AM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime View Post
Brayden Schenn, Thomas Hickey and a 1st. Every game at the WJC makes me think this is a deal Calgary has to make ASAP; Schenn is gonna be special.

Iggy is still almost a PPG guy despite his slow start, and that little detail that he has nobody to take the pressure off him. Set him up with Kopitar, he'll hit 50 next year.
If Schenn is so special then LA isn't giving him up PLUS Hickey and a 1st. I'd take Iggy for Schenn straight up with a smile if that were the route we decided to take.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:58 AM
saillias

All this speculation is based on the premise that our core is actually tradeable. I'm not sure it is. There are so many layers of "no" to get through.

First is the "will losing this player automatically make our team awful." That's a definite yes for Kipper and Iginla, and a probably yes for Regehr/Bouwmeester.

Then the NTCs; do these players want to be traded? If yes, are they willing to go to the city of the team that the GM is talking to?

Then you have to take salaries back, because most contenders are at the cap just like us. The new GM still has to get useful assets back, not just salary dumps.

The next problem is the contract limit we're at. We can't take back more players than are going until Feaster or someone else trades a player for a pick.

Using this criteria lets look at that package that we've been talking about since October? A first, Schenn, and some other guy like Hickey for Iginla. Say Iginla says "Yes Jay, you can trade me to California's ***hole."

1) The first will be in the bottom half, significantly decreasing the chances of getting an NHLer.
2) Schenn has proven nothing.
3) Hickey has proven nothing.

We are potentially getting no NHL talent for Iginla in this deal. And not only that, but from L.A.'s perspective it's too much to give up. The salary probably doesn't work for L.A., it's too many contracts to take on, and it makes our team awful for the immediate future.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:26 AM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
All this speculation is based on the premise that our core is actually tradeable. I'm not sure it is. There are so many layers of "no" to get through.

First is the "will losing this player automatically make our team awful." That's a definite yes for Kipper and Iginla, and a probably yes for Regehr/Bouwmeester.

Then the NTCs; do these players want to be traded? If yes, are they willing to go to the city of the team that the GM is talking to?

Then you have to take salaries back, because most contenders are at the cap just like us. The new GM still has to get useful assets back, not just salary dumps.

The next problem is the contract limit we're at. We can't take back more players than are going until Feaster or someone else trades a player for a pick.

Using this criteria lets look at that package that we've been talking about since October? A first, Schenn, and some other guy like Hickey for Iginla. Say Iginla says "Yes Jay, you can trade me to California's ***hole."

1) The first will be in the bottom half, significantly decreasing the chances of getting an NHLer.

We are potentially getting no NHL talent for Iginla in this deal. And not only that, but from L.A.'s perspective it's too much to give up. The salary probably doesn't work for L.A., it's too many contracts to take on, and it makes our team awful for the immediate future.
Every prospect has proven nothing, what's your point? Nobody should ever trade for prospects?

Old
01-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post

Say Iginla does get traded (and he is definitely tradeable), what would you purpose is a better idea than something like the Schenn package to LA, or say to Boston for a Colborne, TO 1st round pick package?

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Beats By CoRD
Shoeless Hudler

vCash: 50
Feaster is smart. He goes out to the media and says the core is available, it instantly lowers their value. What do you guys expect him to say? Especially while riding a 4 game win streak.

HawnzDynastyProductions.com
Beats By CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:48 PM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
Every prospect has proven nothing, what's your point? Nobody should ever trade for prospects?
Potential worth vs. potential loss. Trading Hagman for average prospects is ok. Nobody should ever trade Iginla for non-sure thing prospects, yes. The definition of sure-thing is subjective sure, but I mean top 3 guys in a good draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Say Iginla does get traded (and he is definitely tradeable), what would you purpose is a better idea than something like the Schenn package to LA, or say to Boston for a Colborne, TO 1st round pick package?
Ideally something like the Hossa/Heatley deal a few years back. Find another elite player in a situation where he doesn't want to stay on his team. Unfortunately, there are not too many guys in Iginla's age class, or contribution and salary class left in the league.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:50 PM
saillias

Edit: Double post, may delete

Old
01-03-2011, 03:28 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Remember though when Iginla was traded here, he hadn't accomplished anything and nobody new who the hell he was. Certainly there's some risk involved, but if you ask me Schenn is as safe a bet as there is. He has all the tools to become a legit first line center.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Remember though when Iginla was traded here, he hadn't accomplished anything and nobody new who the hell he was. Certainly there's some risk involved, but if you ask me Schenn is as safe a bet as there is. He has all the tools to become a legit first line center.
this isn't like that situation at all... Nieuwendyk forced the Flames to trade him... he was holding out and the Flames had no choice but to trade him... Iginla is happy with the Flames and is not only playing but playing well... Iginla's value in a trade is significantly higher than the value Nieuwendyk had when dealt... the Flames will not nd should not even consider moving Iginla for only a prospect

Old
01-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Stewie Griffin
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

vCash: 13000
Quote:
this isn't like that situation at all... Nieuwendyk forced the Flames to trade him... he was holding out and the Flames had no choice but to trade him... Iginla is happy with the Flames and is not only playing but playing well... Iginla's value in a trade is significantly higher than the value Nieuwendyk had when dealt... the Flames will not nd should not even consider moving Iginla for only a prospect
Hey now, don't count out the contribution(s) that Corey Millen made to the team.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:01 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Quote:
I'm not saying the Flames would, I'm saying I wouldn't be disappointed with just getting Schenn, which is why I'm not a NHL GM

Old
01-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
I'm not saying the Flames would, I'm saying I wouldn't be disappointed with just getting Schenn, which is why I'm not a NHL GM
I would be highly diasappointed... there is no guarantee Schenn will even get close to Iggy's level... you need a 1st to ensure a better opportunity to land a 1st line player