Notices

feaster on after hours: flames NOT trading away core

Old
01-03-2011, 06:00 PM
BurnEmUp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
this isn't like that situation at all... Nieuwendyk forced the Flames to trade him... he was holding out and the Flames had no choice but to trade him... Iginla is happy with the Flames and is not only playing but playing well... Iginla's value in a trade is significantly higher than the value Nieuwendyk had when dealt... the Flames will not nd should not even consider moving Iginla for only a prospect
Exactly. Two entirely different situations.

The Flames are not in a position where they HAVE to trade Iginla. So as far as I'm concerned, if a team wants him they better be ready to pay dearly to acquire him....maybe even overpay a little.

I'd rather the Flames keep Iginla, retool around him and have a chance to be competitive, as opposed to trading him for a garbage package or merely just one highly touted prospect, in which case the Flames could reach the lowly levels of some of the perennial bottom feeders around the league.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
Exactly. Two entirely different situations.

The Flames are not in a position where they HAVE to trade Iginla. So as far as I'm concerned, if a team wants him they better be ready to pay dearly to acquire him....maybe even overpay a little.

I'd rather the Flames keep Iginla, retool around him and have a chance to be competitive, as opposed to trading him for a garbage package or merely just one highly touted prospect, in which case the Flames could reach the lowly levels of some of the perennial bottom feeders around the league.
i think this is the type of package we need... I've made 4 proposals around it on the main trade board...

they all require us getting a potential #1 center as well as a 1st round pick...

From Calgary Flames:
-Jarome Iginla ($7,000,000)
-Craig Conroy ($500,000) - he's included to even out contracts and to maybe get him a Stanley Cup
- Choice of Kris Chucko and/or Hugo Carpentier (if needed to balance number of contracts)

and from the other teams...

From Los Angeles Kings:
- Brayden Schenn
- 1st in 2011 or 2012 (Flames Choice, can be invoked up until LA's pick comes up in 2011)
- Salary Dumps... up to $6,500,000 this year and $4,000,000 in 2011/12 (included Est. RFA contracts)

From Boston Bruins:
- Joe Colborne
- 1st in 2011 or 2012 (Flames Choice, can be invoked up until Boston's pick comes up in 2011)
- 3rd in 2011 (not included if Wheeler is a 'dump')
- Salary Dumps... up to $6,500,000 this year and $4,000,000 in 2011/12 (included Est. RFA contracts)

From Montreal Canadiens:
- Lars Eller
- 1st in 2011 or 2012 (Flames Choice, can be invoked up until Montreal's pick comes up in 2011)
- 3rd in 2011

From Nashville Predators:
- Colin Wilson
- Gabriel Bourque
- 1st in 2011

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 50
Quote:
i think this is the type of package we need... I've made 4 proposals around it on the main trade board...

they all require us getting a potential #1 center as well as a 1st round pick...

From Calgary Flames:
-Craig Conroy ($500,000) - he's included to even out contracts and to maybe get him a Stanley Cup
- Choice of Kris Chucko and/or Hugo Carpentier (if needed to balance number of contracts)

From Los Angeles Kings:
- Brayden Schenn
- 1st in 2011 or 2012 (Flames Choice, can be invoked up until LA's pick comes up in 2011)

From Boston Bruins:
- Joe Colborne
- 1st in 2011 or 2012 (Flames Choice, can be invoked up until Boston's pick comes up in 2011)

From Montreal Canadiens:
- Lars Eller
- 1st in 2011 or 2012 (Flames Choice, can be invoked up until Montreal's pick comes up in 2011)
- 3rd in 2011

- Colin Wilson
- Gabriel Bourque
- 1st in 2011
The deals from LA and BOS seem very good, I don't particularly like anything Montreal would give and I don't know a lot about Gabriel Bourque from Nashville, but all in all decent proposals. I'd love to get Colborne or Schenn. The TO 1st from BOS would be ideal, but I HIGHLY doubt they would give that up.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:23 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:

From Calgary Flames:

From Los Angeles Kings:
- Brayden Schenn

From Boston Bruins:
- Joe Colborne

From Montreal Canadiens:
- Lars Eller
- 3rd in 2011

- Colin Wilson
- Gabriel Bourque
- 1st in 2011
Yeah, I read that in the Iggy thread in the trade rumors section, completely agree.

Must be a blue chip center and a first rounder as a starting point. After that, depending on how "blue chip" the prospect is the deal might require more coming to Calgary.

...and yeah, in most cases, because of Iggy's cap hit, a salary dump or two might be required.

Old
01-03-2011, 08:26 PM
God
Free Citizen

Iggy's not the player he used to be and he has a huge contract. The Flames won't be getting top prospects like Brayden Schenn back...probably more along the lines of Nazem Kadri type prospects.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstanleychaser View Post
The deals from LA and BOS seem very good, I don't particularly like anything Montreal would give and I don't know a lot about Gabriel Bourque from Nashville, but all in all decent proposals. I'd love to get Colborne or Schenn. The TO 1st from BOS would be ideal, but I HIGHLY doubt they would give that up.
Eller is actually a higher ranked prospect than Colborne... Bourque is a midling prospect... I figure he would be worth about a 3rd... he has enough skill that he made the Canadian WJC team... but he doesn't appear to be lighting it up as a pro

Old
01-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Iggy's not the player he used to be and he has a huge contract. The Flames won't be getting top prospects like Brayden Schenn back...probably more along the lines of Nazem Kadri type prospects.
Iggy is old and washed up, he should of retired last season. What would a team like LA or Boston want with him anyways?

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Eller is actually a higher ranked prospect than Colborne... Bourque is a midling prospect... I figure he would be worth about a 3rd... he has enough skill that he made the Canadian WJC team... but he doesn't appear to be lighting it up as a pro
I've watched Eller several times this year, he reminds me very much of Backlund. He is just further along in his development than Backlund is. I do think he is a very good player though. Personally I would prefer Colborne for the reason that his ceiling is higher than Eller's. Eller may very well end up being the better of two, but if Colborne reaches his full potential, he will be the better player.

Old
01-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
Based on what Luna? I know that HF has Colborne as an 8.0C, and Eller is a 7.5 C. They are both projected to be strong 2nd liners with the Defensive strength going to Eller.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/joe_colborne
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/lars_eller

Old
01-03-2011, 10:00 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Iggy's not the player he used to be
Based on what? ...and if that is true, then it's only by a small margin, AND he's still one of the top RWers in the game.

Quote:
The Flames won't be getting top prospects like Brayden Schenn back...probably more along the lines of Nazem Kadri type prospects.
Then the Flames are better off to hold onto Iginla. No point trading him for middling prospects if that's all they can get, just for the sake of change.

Old
01-03-2011, 10:19 PM
GoFlames

Yawn... can't believe some find this remotely surprising... Feaster saying he will not trade core players. Likely he is on a short leash anyways.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Based on what Luna? I know that HF has Colborne as an 8.0C, and Eller is a 7.5 C. They are both projected to be strong 2nd liners with the Defensive strength going to Eller.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/joe_colborne
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/lars_eller
based on their top 50 list... they have Eller ranked 37th and Colborne 45th

Old
01-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
based on their top 50 list... they have Eller ranked 37th and Colborne 45th
ok. Guess I didn't check there. Reading up on Eller and comparing to Colborne, they seem to be fairly similar players, although the knock on Colborne is his family's wealth. Is Colborne's defensive game strong?

Old
01-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
ok. Guess I didn't check there. Reading up on Eller and comparing to Colborne, they seem to be fairly similar players, although the knock on Colborne is his family's wealth. Is Colborne's defensive game strong?
I've never heard anything negative about Colbourne's defensive game... the knock I always here is his work ethic but I've also read that hasn't been an issue in quite some time... i think its hard to compare Eller and Colborne though... I personally see Eller more in the vein of Backlund and Colbourne more like Nemisz (albeit a bit better)... i think Colborne gets a higher personal ranking because of his size but Eller is higher in overall rankings because Colborne is just a bit more of a risk... all in all I would say their value is pretty similar

also while talking about prospects... as first year professionals... Nemisz is actually preforming to a similar level to that of Colborne... I hope that helps people see Nemisz is a better prospect than many liked to give him credit for

Old
01-04-2011, 05:08 PM
FLAMESTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Again what is Feaster supposed to say?

"Yes I am looking at all options to trade Iginla"

"I have had mulitple talks with other GM's about moving Kipper, Regehr and Bouwmeester. It is my full intention to have all these players moved by the deadline"

I do believe Feaster when he says he wants to evaluate players right now, and have a flexible plan depending on the teams performance. The Flames have currently won 3 straight, so he is giving them a vote of confidence and trying to create a "positive" environment in the dressing room to see if they can't get this thing turned around. If he does create that environment, and they still fail, then more than likely the core will be blown up and my guess is that Iggy, Regehr and Kipper will all get traded.
Exactly right great post, He is not going to give up his cards just yet. Not saying he is going to trade the core but he would be a fool if if does not at least consider it.

FLAMESTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
FLAMESTR

Quote:
I've never heard anything negative about Colbourne's defensive game... the knock I always here is his work ethic but I've also read that hasn't been an issue in quite some time... i think its hard to compare Eller and Colborne though... I personally see Eller more in the vein of Backlund and Colbourne more like Nemisz (albeit a bit better)... i think Colborne gets a higher personal ranking because of his size but Eller is higher in overall rankings because Colborne is just a bit more of a risk... all in all I would say their value is pretty similar

also while talking about prospects... as first year professionals... Nemisz is actually preforming to a similar level to that of Colborne... I hope that helps people see Nemisz is a better prospect than many liked to give him credit for
You right on with Nemisz give him time he will be a great player.

Old
01-04-2011, 05:12 PM
FLAMESTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Yawn... can't believe some find this remotely surprising... Feaster saying he will not trade core players. Likely he is on a short leash anyways.
Exactly he is pretty much a puppet until they remove the Temporary tag and make it official.

Old
01-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Tackleberry

Just wondering what you fans think of Feaster? Having been in Tampa, I was glad to see a change with him leaving. There were good things about him and things that led to his ultimate firing. He did build the Lightning to eventually win the 04 Cup. After that it was all down hill for feaster. Almost every trade from 05-09 was a dud. He also overpaid players (Richards, Boyle) and then traded them shortly for buckets of pucks. He was voted worst GM by Hockey news in 2008 or 2009.

This is what I want you Calgary fans to be aware of. Im hoping that he has learned from his mistakes and makes a better go of it.

At least your Donut shops will be selling more with him in Calgary. Just kidding.

Just wondering what your opinions of him were.

Tackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:20 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=348035
About Feasters plans...

tyflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Tackleberry

Feaster says a lot of nothing in that article. No offense to you. Feaster has traded core players (Richards and Boyle).

"Buyer Beware!" Take Feaster with a grain of salt.

Tackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:45 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
Feaster says a lot of nothing in that article. No offense to you. Feaster has traded core players (Richards and Boyle).

How much of that had to do with the terrible ownership group in Tampa?

You dont know what goes on behind the scenes and how much freedom Feaster had in regards to making those trades.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:46 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post

Just thought I would share this with flames Fans so they know what is going on lately in the world of Feaster.

tyflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Good, this team is close, Feaster needs to focus on improving the forward group a bit and not weakening the team's D in the process.

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
Good, this team is close, Feaster needs to focus on improving the forward group a bit and not weakening the team's D in the process.
Do you mean close, as in adding 2 or 3 more "elite" forwards?

And just how do you suggest Feaster does that without trading defenceman, not signing FA's (because we are up against the cap), or having no bluechip prospects in the system to promote? My friend, this team is not close at all.

Old
01-07-2011, 04:44 PM
LeftCoast

That's what Feaster is saying publicly. Privately it's more like this (take this tongue in cheek):

<dials phone>

Steve?

Steve! Jay here. How does my chair feel? Yeah, well just remember, sharks feed in warm waters.

Hey good job picking up Rolosen, he's old, but he's a stud. Yeah, Snow don't know crap from goalies but he's sure got wood for DiPietro.

No ****!

Well - Sutter crapped the bed here so I gotta fix it fast and I think we can help each other out.

You wanna win a Stanley Cup in Tampa like I did right? Well your defense sucks. I should know, I built it.

Ha, ha, anytime Steve.

How would Robyn Regehr look on your blue line? ... That's what I thought, **** awesome.

Well we need youth and offense. I want Brett Connolly.

Damn rights.

Oh - wait a minute, I got Lombardi on the other line.

<click>

Deano!

Thanks for calling me back.

Yeah - it feels good to be back in the big chair. Are you kidding? The weather here sucks, but so does my team.

Hey, I got Stevie Y twisting on the other line, so take as much time as you need.

Well you know, I keep all negotiations confidential, but let's just say that if I can't get this done, Tampa's going to play ball.

yeah, I know, Schenn's not on the table, but listen Deano, if you want Iggy, it's going to cost you a first a 3rd and Derek Forbort.

Of course I mean this year.

Okay, you think about that, I gotta get back to Steve.

<click>

Stevie!

Yeah, I got Deano twistin in the wind. Hey! I'm not sayin anything, but if we can't get it done here, LA has offensive prospects too.

Not sayin anything, but you caught the world juniors right? Yeah, what a choke job.

No, if you're thinking Carter Ashton, you're going to have to throw in a first.

Good try. No - I'm not going to take salary back, at least nothing with term. ****** Sutter was handin out NTC's around here like candy.

That's right Regehr for Connolly, straight up.

Sounds good! I'll have Darryl my assistant fax it over.

Good luck in the playoffs.

Me too?

That's not funny Steve.

<click>

Deano!

Stevie-Y's thinkin it over, he wants to win it all this year you know.

That's right, Iggy for Frobort a first and a 3rd.

Yes I mean this year.

No, I'm not taking Salary back. I got more dead cap space here than Sutters (and we still got a few too many of them).

Listen, I told him not to trade with Burkie, he's got no prospects and no picks, so what would we want from him? *** Ian White!

And Kotalik - don't even go there Dean.

Anyways, if you want Jerome, that's the deal, take it or leave it.

Smyth? He's older than ... ah Wait a minute, it looks like Stevie on the other ....

Oh you'll take it?

Okay, I'll have Ron my assistant fax it over.

Okay Dean, good luck in the playoffs, hope you beat the Canucks.

<click>

Darryl - need more coffee!

Last edited by LeftCoast: 01-07-2011 at 04:50 PM.
LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote