Notices

feaster on after hours: flames NOT trading away core

Old
01-08-2011, 05:59 PM
GoFlames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
i think this is the type of package we need... I've made 4 proposals around it on the main trade board...

they all require us getting a potential #1 center as well as a 1st round pick...

From Calgary Flames:
-Jarome Iginla ($7,000,000)
-Craig Conroy ($500,000) - he's included to even out contracts and to maybe get him a Stanley Cup
- Choice of Kris Chucko and/or Hugo Carpentier (if needed to balance number of contracts)

and from the other teams...

From Los Angeles Kings:
- Brayden Schenn
- 1st in 2011 or 2012 (Flames Choice, can be invoked up until LA's pick comes up in 2011)
- Salary Dumps... up to $6,500,000 this year and $4,000,000 in 2011/12 (included Est. RFA contracts)

From Boston Bruins:
- Joe Colborne
- 1st in 2011 or 2012 (Flames Choice, can be invoked up until Boston's pick comes up in 2011)
- 3rd in 2011 (not included if Wheeler is a 'dump')
- Salary Dumps... up to $6,500,000 this year and $4,000,000 in 2011/12 (included Est. RFA contracts)

From Montreal Canadiens:
- Lars Eller
- 1st in 2011 or 2012 (Flames Choice, can be invoked up until Montreal's pick comes up in 2011)
- 3rd in 2011

From Nashville Predators:
- Colin Wilson
- Gabriel Bourque
- 1st in 2011
I like the Schenn deal the most. I do not know a lot about Colborne and his style of play... anyone care to go into that?

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:01 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESTR View Post
You right on with Nemisz give him time he will be a great player.
Speaking of Nemisz, I wonder if he will make the Flames next season. Also curious about Wahl.

Old
01-08-2011, 06:07 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
I like the Schenn deal the most. I do not know a lot about Colborne and his style of play... anyone care to go into that?
Here is some info...

Quote:
ASSETS: Has tremendous size and the potential to play a power game at the highest level. Can score goals and set up his linemates, too. Can line up either at center or wing.

FLAWS: Is extremely inconsistent in all areas of the game and still somewhat raw. Lacks maturity in his game. Must prove capable of producing points with consistency at the highest level.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Potential power forward.

Quote:
Talent Analysis
Has the size that every team dreams of but is still learning how to use it to his full advantage. The growth spurt is still relatively recent and so Colborne is still making the adjustment mentally that he can do much more than he believes he can from a physical perspective.

Decent skater but best asset apart from his size is his on ice vision and playmaking skills. He can finish and does possess an above average shot but he is a self-admitted pass-first player. Loves to control the puck on along the boards on the power play and find his teammates for gift goals.

Played the wing in Camrose but took most of the faceoffs and then would shift to the wing after the play had started. Some scouts have wondered if he might make a better center with his size and passing skills.

The knock on Colborne is his lack of physical grit; he's not a banger and he doesn't really drive to the net very often both of which he could do easily if he tried.

Comes from a wealthy family which some consider a flaw for some reason believing his committment isn't as deep as with other players. Hockey's Future does not believe this to be an issue. With excellent grades in school, Colborne has shown the dedication for personal improvement off the ice and his coach's do not question his determination on it.

Future
Colborne signed a contract with the Bruins and will turn pro for the 2010-11 season. He has the potential to be a strong, second-line center for the Bruins.
Seems very similar to Backlund, just a lot bigger at 6'5" and 215 lbs.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:12 PM
GoFlames

Meh... Schenn it is then.

Old
01-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Complacent Iggy

Quote:
i think this is the type of package we need... I've made 4 proposals around it on the main trade board...

they all require us getting a potential #1 center as well as a 1st round pick...

From Calgary Flames:
-Craig Conroy ($500,000) - he's included to even out contracts and to maybe get him a Stanley Cup
- Choice of Kris Chucko and/or Hugo Carpentier (if needed to balance number of contracts)

From Los Angeles Kings:
- Brayden Schenn
- 1st in 2011 or 2012 (Flames Choice, can be invoked up until LA's pick comes up in 2011)

From Boston Bruins:
- Joe Colborne
- 1st in 2011 or 2012 (Flames Choice, can be invoked up until Boston's pick comes up in 2011)

From Montreal Canadiens:
- Lars Eller
- 1st in 2011 or 2012 (Flames Choice, can be invoked up until Montreal's pick comes up in 2011)
- 3rd in 2011

- Colin Wilson
- Gabriel Bourque
- 1st in 2011

That is really neat. If you could get that done Ken King should hire you as a GM. How do you wrangle out those picks, prospects and players for a guy who shouldn't be in the league (Conroy), a guy whose better days are behind him attached with a hefty price tag (Iggy) and a player who will never play in the NHL ( Chuko, Larue).

Besides that why would Iggy waive his no trade clause? His summer would be cut short and his legacy ruined. He's Sundin all the way man.

Complacent Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 07:29 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complacent Iggy View Post
That is really neat. If you could get that done Ken King should hire you as a GM. How do you wrangle out those picks, prospects and players for a guy who shouldn't be in the league (Conroy), a guy whose better days are behind him attached with a hefty price tag (Iggy) and a player who will never play in the NHL ( Chuko, Larue).

Besides that why would Iggy waive his no trade clause? His summer would be cut short and his legacy ruined. He's Sundin all the way man.
He said Conroy was included to even out contracts (this was done before we waived and released Watt, so we were at the contract limit), plus Conroy is on a two way, so any of these teams could put him in the minors and bring him back up playoff time, if they wanted.

Same with Chucko and Carpentier. To even out the contracts.....it says it right beside their names for crying out loud. Reading problem?

Conroy and Chucko/Carpentier are NON-FACTORS in what Lunatik wrote.

Iginla is the key part of the deal for these other teams.

...and your assessment of him is way off. He's still one of the premier right wingers in the league today.

He also already stated to the media after last season (when asked point blank if he'd consider waiving his NTC), that he wanted to stay and try and turn things around, BUT if the FLAMES decided to go in another direction, he would not stand in their way.

BTW - Iginla has 24th highest salary in the NHL this year, and is currently tied for 19th in points.

Also, among listed right wingers Iginla is tied for 3rd in points, and tied for 4th in goals.

All that with a myriad of colostamy bag filler playing center for him.

Try getting a clue before you pipe up with your smart aleck responses.

Old
01-09-2011, 08:12 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
BTW - Iginla has 24th highest salary in the NHL this year, and is currently tied for 19th in points.
BTW, 10 of those 24 players making $7M or more this season are goaltenders or defenseman, who wouldn't be expected to score more than Iggy.

A little unfair that you chose to hide that fact, I would say.

slappipappi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:30 AM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
BTW, 10 of those 24 players making $7M or more this season are goaltenders or defenseman, who wouldn't be expected to score more than Iggy.

A little unfair that you chose to hide that fact, I would say.

Someone from the peanut gallery always has to pop up out of nowhere to split hairs.

Fine......Luongo, Chara, Lundqvist, Pronger, Keith and Campbell all make a higher salary this year than Iggy....

Iggy is tied with a collection of other forwards, for the 16th highest salary this year (among forwards), and after last night is now tied for 21st in scoring.....

Point is, his production is right in line with his salary so people should really stop referring to his contract as a boat anchor, and what not.

Old
01-09-2011, 09:55 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Would Carcillo + pick be enough to land Glencross?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Complacent Iggy

Why hold onto to an asset that is way over valued and just doesn't work here? The team is second to last, plays with no heart. Iggy is 21st overall in scoring and is one of only 2 players in the top 35 with a -, 33 years old and isn't getting any better.

This team needs a major shake up and I could care less about keeping a guy who plays lights out for one month and sh*tty the next month or two.

Old
01-09-2011, 11:34 AM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I'm assuming by pick, you mean a 4th or 5th...something like that?

It's probably fair value, but Carcillo on the Flames seems kind of redundant, with Jackman, Kostopolous and I guess even Ivanans all signed for next year.

We have plenty of 4th liners, and Jackman is putting up better numbers right now for half the cost.

I like Carcillo's edge and age though, and he definitely has more offensive upside in the long run than a Tim Jackman or Tom Kostopolous, and could possibly play a decent agitating 3rd line role for us.

Flames would be better off to try and move Glencross (if they don't plan on re-signing him) for a higher pick (late 2nd) alone, IMO. But if the Flyers offered that deal, the Flames should definitely consider it.

Old
01-09-2011, 12:40 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post

We have no need for Carcillo, and I'd much rather keep Glencross.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:14 PM
pensfan

The Pens should trade Kunitz, Dupuis, Comrie, and draft picks for Iginla.

pensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:21 PM
robmneilson

Why would the Flames want Comrie or Dupuis at all??

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Complacent Iggy

when iggy is traded i'd say 90% of this board will be really disappointed with the return. it'll be a reality check of some sort.

Old
01-09-2011, 02:38 PM
CoRD
GO BRUINS GO!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complacent Iggy View Post
when iggy is traded i'd say 90% of this board will be really disappointed with the return. it'll be a reality check of some sort.
Anything less than a great prospect + 1st + salary dump and I'd be disappointed.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Dallas Flames Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensfan View Post
The Pens should trade Kunitz, Dupuis, Comrie, and draft picks for Iginla.
Dupuis and Comrie are junk....and there is no room for Kunitz and a rebuilding team

Dallas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Dallas Flames Fan

Quote:

From Calgary Flames:

From Los Angeles Kings:
- Brayden Schenn

From Boston Bruins:
- Joe Colborne

From Montreal Canadiens:
- Lars Eller
- 3rd in 2011

- Colin Wilson
- Gabriel Bourque
- 1st in 2011

By including Conroy and Chucko, you actually reduce the return

Dallas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:38 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
By including Conroy and Chucko, you actually reduce the return
How?

Too big of cap hits?

No

Too long of a term?

Conroy's a UFA, and Chucko is an RFA and doesn't have to qualified after the season....so no.

One way contracts?

Nope.

Those players were included merely because the Flames were at the contract limit at the time, and are pretty much non-factors in the deal at all. Just pretend they aren't even there. (actually Conroy is still a serviceable veteran for depth/face-offs for a team looking to make a grueling playoff run - his hit against the cap at the deadline....$112,903...almost nothing)

If any of those teams listed had deal in place to land Jarome Iginla, and the only thing stopping the deal was the fact the Flames are getting three contracts for one and are at the contract limit, those teams GM's would have no problem taking on a league minimum contract for a few months, just so the deal could get done.

Heck, just to get a deal done they might take Kronwall's contract back to keep the Flames from going over the 50 contract limit.

Last edited by BurnEmUp: 01-09-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old
01-09-2011, 06:21 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
Someone from the peanut gallery always has to pop up out of nowhere to split hairs.

Fine......Luongo, Chara, Lundqvist, Pronger, Keith and Campbell all make a higher salary this year than Iggy....

Iggy is tied with a collection of other forwards, for the 16th highest salary this year (among forwards), and after last night is now tied for 21st in scoring.....

Point is, his production is right in line with his salary so people should really stop referring to his contract as a boat anchor, and what not.

Iggy is currently a fine player, but isn't worth his $7M salary.

He wouldn't get that today as a UFA.

He's clearly regressing and is no longer a superstar. Fine players don't get $7M.

While referring to his salry as a boat anchor is clearly an exageration, it doesn't mean he gives good production for that amount of money.

It it certainly affects his trade value.

slappipappi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:23 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I know this is a stretch, but do you think the Flams would go as far as to trade Tanguay, Glenncross, and a D-man like Staios/Babchuk? I know that teams don't normally trade that many roster players in one deal, but I am a fan of Glenncross and think Tanguay would be a nice addition for the Flyers. As someone on the Flyers board pointed out, if a D-man went your way one would likely have to come back. I was thinking something like this:

To PHI:
Tanguay
Glencross
Staios/Babchuk

To CGY:
Carle
Carcillo
Zherdev
Pick(s) and/or prospect(s)

I know it is a huge stretch, but hey, it's HFBoards!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I know this is a stretch, but do you think the Flams would go as far as to trade Tanguay, Glenncross, and a D-man like Staios/Babchuk? I know that teams don't normally trade that many roster players in one deal, but I am a fan of Glenncross and think Tanguay would be a nice addition for the Flyers. As someone on the Flyers board pointed out, if a D-man went your way one would likely have to come back. I was thinking something like this:

To PHI:
Tanguay
Glencross
Staios/Babchuk

To CGY:
Carle
Carcillo
Zherdev

to be honest I think that would be a mistake by Philly... too big of a blueline move for a team that has had such a strong season... however I could see the Flyers adding someone for depth reasons and saving bigger moves for the summer... perhaps the Flames/Flyers would be better trading partners then?

Currently the Flyers can take on a contract of approximately 800k (maybe 1.25 at the deadline)... so obviously salary would have to be coming back in any deal... so I will propose a deal that will help the Flyers without hurting them really... while giving the Flames something they can use now and in the future

At the deadline...

to Philly:
Curtis Glencross ($1,200,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
Dan Carcillo ($1,075,000 - RFA '11)
3rd in 2011 (Penguins)

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:20 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post

To PHI:
Tanguay
Glencross
Staios/Babchuk

To CGY:
Carle
Carcillo
Zherdev

Don't know why you guys would want to move Carle, but.....

Staios
Tanguay
Glencross

for

Carle
Zherdev
Carcillo

If the Flames are still out of the playoff picture a month from now, I would do this deal (provided Tanguay would waive his NTC) in a heartbeat.

I would then immediately put Zherdev on the market, and look to move him to a contender for a late 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I would also immediately put Sarich out there, and talk to Regehr about waiving his NMC (if those things haven't been done already)....and shop him around the league as well. Trading Reggie would hurt, but having Carle inked at a decent cap hit for two more years would take most of the sting away, and the return we'd get for Robyn would likely help tune up our forward group next year.

Old
01-10-2011, 08:02 AM
mercury

Quote:
to be honest I think that would be a mistake by Philly... too big of a blueline move for a team that has had such a strong season... however I could see the Flyers adding someone for depth reasons and saving bigger moves for the summer... perhaps the Flames/Flyers would be better trading partners then?

Currently the Flyers can take on a contract of approximately 800k (maybe 1.25 at the deadline)... so obviously salary would have to be coming back in any deal... so I will propose a deal that will help the Flyers without hurting them really... while giving the Flames something they can use now and in the future

At the deadline...

to Philly:
Curtis Glencross ($1,200,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
Dan Carcillo ($1,075,000 - RFA '11)
3rd in 2011 (Penguins)
That deal is the simplest and makes the most sense. I like Carcillo (a little, anyway), but Laviolette doesn't seem to want to use him much. A deal like this would really round out the top-9 nicely for the Flyers.

mercury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
That deal is the simplest and makes the most sense. I like Carcillo (a little, anyway), but Laviolette doesn't seem to want to use him much. A deal like this would really round out the top-9 nicely for the Flyers.
I agree... its a small tweak that should get Shelley out of your lineup... and you're basically giving up a pick you received for free

the Flames add a pick in the 3rd round which they don't currently have... and they get a **** disturber that can stick around a few years and put up 10-15 goals

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote