HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will make every effort to sign Hagelin

Old
01-02-2011, 05:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers will make every effort to sign Hagelin

Contrary to the "report" in the Windsor Star

Quote:
Contrary to recent reports, the Rangers will make every effort to sign Michigan left wing Carl Hagelin after the senior completes his collegiate career. Indeed, we’re told the Blueshirts attempted to sign Hagelin, their sixth-round selection in 2007, last summer but the 22-year-old decided to return to school.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz19sHtcedf

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:11 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Git er done Slats..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:51 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

hagelin and fasth will be a dynamic pair of swedes.

hagelin should become a fixture on our pk for years to come. not a big scorer but a clutch performer and a smart kid. good teams win with guys like this.

cant go wrong signing swedes in my book or russians ....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:55 AM
free0717

Hopefully, Carl doesnt decide to wait till August 15th and test the market.

free0717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:43 AM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
A name I've heard a bit of over the last year or so. Hoping he's in a Rangers uniform soon to see what we may have in him.

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:10 AM
BPD

He's very talented and he plays in a rough conference.

With Hagelin, Hank and now Fasth, are the Rangers the new Red Wings with the "Who the **** out of Northern/Eastern Europe did you pick with that late rounder?" game?

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:58 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Hopefully, Carl doesnt decide to wait till August 15th and test the market.
I see no reason why he would. No matter who he signs with, he will be subject to the entry level system, and his prospects for making an NHL roster are probably better if he is there from day 1.

The only reason for him not to sign is if he didn't want to play in NY for some reason, but I can't see that being the case.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I see no reason why he would. No matter who he signs with, he will be subject to the entry level system, and his prospects for making an NHL roster are probably better if he is there from day 1.

The only reason for him not to sign is if he didn't want to play in NY for some reason, but I can't see that being the case.
A couple of things I'd like to add on:

-Since he's subject to the ELC, the Rangers can and if need be will throw max money at him.

-This is Hagelin's 4th year in the US, his English is flawless, and he's a smart kid. Without a doubt, he'll look at the organization and the opportunities available in the system and make a decision from there.

-Hagelin is a Torts' style player. Defensively responsible, can play in all situations, shows up every night, makes people around him better, is a team leader.

-While there are other Swedes in the system, there's also college players Hagelin has played against: McD, Step, Baldwin, Cam Talbot, Chad Johnson.

-The roster turnover next year will give Hagelin ample opportunity to crack the lineup. Gone in the left wing department are Prospal, Frolov, Feds. This leaves the Rangers with only 2 LWs in Avery and Dubi.

-For those who think Kreider will be on the Rangers roster all of next year, they're sadly mistaken. It's not a forgone conclusion he'll sign; if he does he needs to make the team and he'll have to deal with the exact same conditioning issues college players typically deal with when making the jump to 82 games a season instead of 40-45.

-Finally, Hagelin will have the opportunity to show how he's been successful at Michigan during training camp. He's a do-it-all guy with excellent passing skills, he's going to turn heads during camp without a doubt.

If he doesn't sign, it's because he doesn't want to play for the New York Rangers, not because he'll be paid better by another team.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:19 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
He's very talented and he plays in a rough conference.

With Hagelin, Hank and now Fasth, are the Rangers the new Red Wings with the "Who the **** out of Northern/Eastern Europe did you pick with that late rounder?" game?
I wouldn't mind if they became the new Red Wings

It's amazing what the Wings do, and if the Rangers did that they'd be a force for years and years to come.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:55 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post

-For those who think Kreider will be on the Rangers roster all of next year, they're sadly mistaken. It's not a forgone conclusion he'll sign; if he does he needs to make the team and he'll have to deal with the exact same conditioning issues college players typically deal with when making the jump to 82 games a season instead of 40-45.
Kreier's camp must have said or hinted something to somebody, because lots of different sources have had blurbs about him being likely to turn Pro next season, can't imagine it's all just speculation.... Also, wouldn't Hagelin have to deal with the same conditioning hurdles coming from the NCAA that Kreider would? Kreider is reportedly in peak physical condition so if there was any player that conditioning wouldn't concern me with, it would be him. Can't imagine the guy would take his summer workouts likely if he knew he was headed for a Tortorella training camp in September.

I think it's a 'must' that the Rangers walk away from Fedotenko in the off-season but Torts really likes him so I fear he'll be on the team next season... Would be nice to have a spot open up for a younger player as you mentioned.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:16 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I think it's a 'must' that the Rangers walk away from Fedotenko in the off-season but Torts really likes him so I fear he'll be on the team next season... Would be nice to have a spot open up for a younger player as you mentioned.
Agree 200% Feds has been good but I hope he's viewed as purely a stop-gap. He does all the little things well but ANY young kid trying to make it in the NHL would do the same things just as well, and he's only getting older. I understand he's one of torterellas boys but I think it would be much more productive to have a young guy like hagelin/kreider who's trying to make it in the NHL/on the Nyr playing on the third with room to move up lines, rather than an older vet who doesn't contribute much on the pp/pk and isn't as much of a dynamic guy like a kreider/hagelin.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
A couple of things I'd like to add on:

-Since he's subject to the ELC, the Rangers can and if need be will throw max money at him.
So you mean to say; they can do some Hagelin on his contract?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:36 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Kreier's camp must have said or hinted something to somebody, because lots of different sources have had blurbs about him being likely to turn Pro next season, can't imagine it's all just speculation.... Also, wouldn't Hagelin have to deal with the same conditioning hurdles coming from the NCAA that Kreider would? Kreider is reportedly in peak physical condition so if there was any player that conditioning wouldn't concern me with, it would be him. Can't imagine the guy would take his summer workouts likely if he knew he was headed for a Tortorella training camp in September.

Yes, exactly. I was implying that there would be opportunity for Hagelin to play with the big club even if Kreider makes the team for this exact reason.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I would love Hagelin on our 3rd line LW next year, hell even 4th line with PK time.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

The Rangers hopefully bring Hagelin and Kreider to Hartford, among other players.

It would be an interested year with a lot of youngsters: Hagelin, Kreider, Bourque, Werek, Horak, McNasty.

I assume Zucca, Weise and either McD or Vally will be in the NHL,so the only prospects there who won't be rookies who will be interesting will be Grachev, Dupont, Didi, Soryal, Kundratek, McD/Vally and 85.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:55 PM
XLJ

I think Hagelin will make the team next year. He's like a Darren Helm type of player. I can see him taking Fedotenko spot on the 3rd or 4th line. Kreider's also got a shot at making the club because there will be another opening with Frolov being gone assuming they want Zuccarello playing right wing.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:06 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I think there is a problem in and of itself that there is even speculation as to whether we will sign him. First McDonagh, now this; clearly someone is doing something wrong.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Agree 200% Feds has been good but I hope he's viewed as purely a stop-gap. He does all the little things well but ANY young kid trying to make it in the NHL would do the same things just as well, and he's only getting older. I understand he's one of torterellas boys but I think it would be much more productive to have a young guy like hagelin/kreider who's trying to make it in the NHL/on the Nyr playing on the third with room to move up lines, rather than an older vet who doesn't contribute much on the pp/pk and isn't as much of a dynamic guy like a kreider/hagelin.

This is a prime example of fans wanting youth, and therefore seeing experience as a negative.

In what world do you figure that someone who's never spent a second in the pros would do all the little things as well as a 10-year vet, instead of making rookie mistakes? In what world does a rookie know how to deal with adversity just as well as a vet? In what world does someone who hasn't even played in the ECHL and has not dominated college have the upper hand over a proven NHLer?

Last edited by Beacon: 01-02-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old
01-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Yes, exactly. I was implying that there would be opportunity for Hagelin to play with the big club even if Kreider makes the team for this exact reason.

So we'll have 1-2 rookie defensemen (Vally and McD) plus Zucca, Weise, Kreider and Hagelin making the NHL, all about the same time, not to mention Step, Sauer and MDZ?

Potentially, we can have 11 out our 18 skaters be rookies at some point since 2009-2010? Seriously?

Old
01-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Kreider won't be making it. You people got spoiled the last few year as guys like MDZ and Step, and a couple other rookies with them, would make it. Maybe Hagelin will make it because he's been real dominant in college, but Kreider just has not been, at least not yet.

Dubi - Step - Gabby
Hagelin - Anisimov - Cally
Boyle - Drury - Zucca
Avery - Christ - Prust

Old
01-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Of rookies going into camp next year, the one i'd most expect to make the team is actually Werek.

Hagelin will very likely need a year in the AHL. Im pretty damn sure. Of course I said the same thing about Stepper but he was younger and absolutely crushed the WJC the year before.

Kreider, I dont make any predictions on because honestly, he is too comlicated for me to figure out.

But Werek was a kid they were talking about actually competing for a job this year. Because he is a bottom 6 guy, it is much easier to secure a job. Dont be surprised if he makes it.

Old
01-02-2011, 02:29 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

We have a lot of good young talent. Theres a lot of potential there. We only have 12 spots though. Yeah obviously not all will be making the Rangers next year. But its a good problem to have. At the same time with this surplus maybe we can turn around and send a couple of them off in a trade for a talent that could help this team this year.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
We have a lot of good young talent. Theres a lot of potential there. We only have 12 spots though. Yeah obviously not all will be making the Rangers next year. But its a good problem to have. At the same time with this surplus maybe we can turn around and send a couple of them off in a trade for a talent that could help this team this year.
With Zucc and Weise up from Hartford, the only developing forward we really have there right now is Grachev. McDonagh, Vtank, Kundratek, and the others are all either dmen or goalies. We are going to want a couple of these guys signed and playing in the A, regardless if they have a shot next year.

Old
01-02-2011, 03:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Kundratek will need another year in Hartford. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Valentenko went back to Russia. Is McDonagh ready? People that watch the Pack regularly don't seem to believe so.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:05 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
With Zucc and Weise up from Hartford, the only developing forward we really have there right now is Grachev. McDonagh, Vtank, Kundratek, and the others are all either dmen or goalies. We are going to want a couple of these guys signed and playing in the A, regardless if they have a shot next year.
I'm just going off the forwards. And I think hagelin and kreider will be competing for spots. I'm not saying trade all our prospects. But given the way grachev has not produced it might not be bad to trade him while others teams still think highly of him, and thats not even a sure thing.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote