HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matured Alex Burrows drops the chirping, smirking act

Old
01-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Matured Alex Burrows drops the chirping, smirking act

An Ed Willes article pointing out that along with Ryan Kesler his former partner in crime, Alex Burrows has undergone a metamorphosis from street punk to solid NHL citizen.
Whether it was pressure from the organization, pressure from his teammates or the simple realization that he wasn't doing himself any good with his street-punk act, Burrows, like longtime friend and fellow former delinquent Ryan Kesler, has returned to the Canucks a changed man.
Over the previous three campaigns, Burrows averaged 150 PIMs a year.

This season, he has 12 two fewer than Henrik Sedin ...

"He was the only 35-goal scorer who was acting like Sean Avery," says a voice in the Canucks' organization. "He's too good for that."

"It's a process," says Burrows, sounding like just about everyone who's gone through rehab. "Now I'm a little more mature, a little older.

"Playing with the twins has a lot to do with it. I don't think they want to be involved after every whistle and get punched in the back of the head. Right now, it's for the team. This is part of the changes we had to make."
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ma...#ixzz19rPweWxu

Sometimes I kinda miss the old Burr.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
An Ed Willes article pointing out that along with Ryan Kesler his former partner in crime, Alex Burrows has undergone a metamorphosis from street punk to solid NHL citizen.
Whether it was pressure from the organization, pressure from his teammates or the simple realization that he wasn't doing himself any good with his street-punk act, Burrows, like longtime friend and fellow former delinquent Ryan Kesler, has returned to the Canucks a changed man.
Over the previous three campaigns, Burrows averaged 150 PIMs a year.

This season, he has 12 two fewer than Henrik Sedin ...

"He was the only 35-goal scorer who was acting like Sean Avery," says a voice in the Canucks' organization. "He's too good for that."

"It's a process," says Burrows, sounding like just about everyone who's gone through rehab. "Now I'm a little more mature, a little older.

"Playing with the twins has a lot to do with it. I don't think they want to be involved after every whistle and get punched in the back of the head. Right now, it's for the team. This is part of the changes we had to make."
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ma...#ixzz19rPweWxu

Sometimes I kinda miss the old Burr.
The only thing I miss about the old Burr is the goal scoring. Hopefully he'll pick it up. I think he will.

And I noticed the change in him almost immediately after the Auger incident. I think he got a slap of reality after that.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
The only thing I miss about the old Burr is the goal scoring. Hopefully he'll pick it up. I think he will.

And I noticed the change in him almost immediately after the Auger incident. I think he got a slap of reality after that.
Marriage often has that sort of effect as well.

Old
01-02-2011, 01:33 AM
Wisp

Burrows was pretty immature, and was endearing for that. At the same time, he reacted too emotionally and triggered that Auger **** storm by reacting the wrong way.

regardless, i love Burr. Plays with his heart on his sleeve.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

So with Kesler and Burrows being nice guys, does this mean we don't have any **** disturbers anymore?

The team is growing up

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:52 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Kelly's a great gal.

01-02-2011, 01:55 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Kelly's a great gal.
Give your balls a tug.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:09 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Good to see. That likely means with Kesler and Burrows dropping that, less PIMs, less unnecessary PKs, less GA, more calls going our way.

I like what Gillis & Co. have done, first brought in the right personnel to have a good run, and now culture change that reinforces that point.

I think either January or February Burrows will light it up. That's when he got it going last year after a similar shoulder injury.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:18 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Kelly's a great gal.
Refresher.

Old
01-02-2011, 02:27 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

That will always be funny.

Kevin Bieksa "Owned." cracks me up the most.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
That will always be funny.

Kevin Bieksa "Owned." cracks me up the most.
Yeah that one and "Alex and Kelly Backes are now friends" right below it.

Old
01-02-2011, 03:06 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

While we're on the burrows topic I though I'd dig up some really old Burrows thread to see the hilarious reaction back when he was still "meh".

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...xandre+Burrows

Quote:
Alexandre is a girls name.

Apparently 4 years ago the consensus was 30 points-ish was his peak.

An argument about Ruutu and Burrows.

Good times.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:09 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
While we're on the burrows topic I though I'd dig up some really old Burrows thread to see the hilarious reaction back when he was still "meh".

Good times.
Personally I am looking forward to when Kesler can show he is more than a third line checker, can shed his hands of stone and put up some points or be able to break a pane of glass with his shot.

Old
01-02-2011, 03:10 AM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

He still cries for better or worse. Kes I see the change, Burr? Not so much..

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Shane

Quote:

Good times.
NFiTO's whole post is great:

Quote:
Burrows is a fringe NHLer... his hard work has gotten him into the lineup for now, but for him, I'm guessing he'll be fighting for icetime for the remainder of his NHL career... if he can't play at 110%, then his spot will go to someone else.

He's a hard worker and that's about it... he doesn't have any skills that separate him from the average 4th liner.... even guys like Ruutu have much better hands as well.

The good thing for Burrows is that with the salary cap, he should have a job in the NHL as long as he can work hard... he's a good roster player at the minimum salary.

But I wouldn't expect too much more from him... I don't think he's got much more upside to show. He's a average hockey player that wouldn't be in the NHL today if he didn't have the superb work ethic which he does.

As for Orca's comment about seeing him with the Sedins - I couldn't disagree more. The Sedins have out-lived their time of babysitting fringe players to get the most out of them... they are now key offensive players on this team and should be playing with other top 6 type players... we've seen enough of the Sedins with marginal NHLers. Burrows is not and will never be a top 6 NHLer... he doesn't have the hands, nor the offensive vision for a role like that.
Just goes to show that even the best of us aren't quite the talent evaluators we think we are.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
NFiTO's whole post is great:

Just goes to show that even the best of us aren't quite the talent evaluators we think we are.
No doubt. I'm on that thread slagging Burrows. I remember very clearly for whatever reason not liking the guy and thinking there was no way he could play in this league. Wow was I wrong.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Personally I am looking forward to when Kesler can show he is more than a third line checker, can shed his hands of stone and put up some points or be able to break a pane of glass with his shot.
Kesler showed improvement last year with his wrister, but this year's improvement is nothing short of spectacular in all facets of his game.

His line has been on fire of late albeit with two of the highest paid wingers................. in the AHL.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Reign Nateo

To me being the only guy to act like Sean Avery and score 35 goals isn't a bad thing. Tone it down, don't talk to the media about the refs, but I think Burrows needs that spark to be his most effective self. I'd hate to see him totally pack in the agitation side of his game.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
To me being the only guy to act like Sean Avery and score 35 goals isn't a bad thing. Tone it down, don't talk to the media about the refs, but I think Burrows needs that spark to be his most effective self. I'd hate to see him totally pack in the agitation side of his game.
The biggest turnaround that I can recall was Stan Mikita with the Blackhawks back in the 1960's.

When he entered the NHL he was one of the top agitators and an artist with the stick - he carved up the faces of more than few opponents. He regularly was amongst the league leaders in PIMs and four times exceeded 100 PIMs. However in his eighth year in the NHL he won the Hart and Art Ross and astonishingly added the Lady Byng. He would claim the reason for his change came after his young daughter asked him why he was always been sent away to sit by himself (in the penalty box) and not be with the other players on his team.

He had led the league in scoring previously in 1963-64 and posted 146 PIMs and in 1964-65 he again led in scoring putting up 154 PIMs. To give you a sense of where he ranked in PIMS in 1963-64 he was third in the NHL, 5 minutes behind league leader Vic Hadfield and ahead of noted enforcers like "Terrible Ted" Green, Reg Fleming and John Ferguson.

When he won the Art Ross, Hart and Lady Byng in 1966-67 he only had 12 PIMs. The next season he would repeat his triple trophy hat trick posting 14 PIMs.

Old
01-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Reign Nateo

Thanks for that Wet, good to learn about the legends. Didn't know much about Mikita.

We need a guy named "Terrible Ted" Green I think.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
"Playing with the twins has a lot to do with it. I don't think they want to be involved after every whistle and get punched in the back of the head.
This made me laugh.....but it is a very good point.

I wonder if this is something captain Hank brought to his attention.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Thanks for that Wet, good to learn about the legends. Didn't know much about Mikita.

We need a guy named "Terrible Ted" Green I think.
Green is also known for one of the most brutal stick duels in the NHL when he and Chico (Wayne's brother) Maki took to clubbing each other over the head during an exhibition game in 1969 between Green's Bruins and Maki's Blues.

Maki knocked Green down from behind who then retaliated by slashing Maki across the face who went down on the the ice. Maki then speared Green, who again sent Maki flying. They exchanged vicious slashes until Maki clubbed Green over the head, fracturing his skull. Heavy wooden sticks and no helmets.

Green needed three major operations to save his life and had a steel plate inserted in his head. Maki was suspended for 30 days and Green for 12 games when he returned to action one year later. Assault charges were filed against both players, who were later acquitted.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/columns/top...lowlights.html

Old
01-02-2011, 12:31 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Yea, who wants players that can score 30 goals and get 100 PIMS?

Such a lame stat.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:36 PM
stevecanuck16

I'm quite sure that when the playoffs roll around, Kesler and Burrows will resume their trash-talking ways. Everybody does it in the playoffs, and they're two of the best in the league.

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Shareefruck

Uhhmm... that's great and all, but I don't remember anyone complaining that Kesler/Burrows should tone it down and be better players or anything... Isn't having **** disturbers a GOOD thing?

Can't complain with Kesler's game though. Burrow's still got ways to go if he wants to make a similar jump.

Maybe if we turn Hansen into an agitator and make him stop a few years later, he'll become a PPG player.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote