HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks could be involved in 2012 Winter Classic

Old
01-02-2011, 04:49 AM
Jesus Toews*

vCash: 500
Sharks could be involved in 2012 Winter Classic

According to Pierre LeBrun on CBC's Hotstove, if there is a 2012 Winter Classic played (not a given at this point), there's a good chance it occurs in Denver which is apparently making a big push for the game (along with Minnesota which has been all but ruled out due to their lack of marketable star players and Philadelphia). Whittling down the list of possible opponents for the Avalanche gives the Sharks fairly good odds of being there, one would presume. The Red Wings will likely be the logical top choice but I seem to remember some hand-wringing by that organization when they were asked to participate in the 09 Classic at Wrigley and it's likely that a second Wings Classic would need to happen in Detroit. The Hawks are also a strong candidate but with the NHL having already double-dipped in the Penguins, much to the chagrin of a good number of fans, it doesn't seem extremely likely that the Hawks will be involved in another Classic so soon. Assuming the Avs' opponent remains in the Conference so as to create at least some sort of sense of rivalry between the featured teams, that leaves about four franchises: San Jose, Los Angeles, Dallas and St. Louis. The Sharks look like frontrunners among that group (although the Kings are the only team listed in a bigger market than the SF Bay Area and their young talent would be a good showcase for the league). Of course, it's almost 3AM and I got to that conclusion through a million different assumptions but my question to you all is both whether or not it's plausible the Sharks are chosen to face the Avalanche should the '12 Classic be in Denver as well as whether or not it's something you would endorse or at least be stoked about.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:04 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

That would be cool. I don't care too much for the actual game being outdoors, but I'd like 24/7 Avalanche and Sharks.

I don't see it happening though. Since one, it's only speculation that it'll even occur in Denver. And two, if it does occur in Denver, LA would most likely get the nod over San Jose.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:02 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Despite how top notch the Sharks organization is, it would never happen. The league from top to bottom has zero recognition and too biased to east coast teams and Det/Chi to do it. Most NHL fans from the east coast find western hockey slow and boring. It doesn't surprise me that they would consider Col, but a far better fit for them would be Van. They both seem to play a flashier type of game that the league loves.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:33 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Despite how top notch the Sharks organization is, it would never happen. The league from top to bottom has zero recognition and too biased to east coast teams and Det/Chi to do it. Most NHL fans from the east coast find western hockey slow and boring. It doesn't surprise me that they would consider Col, but a far better fit for them would be Van. They both seem to play a flashier type of game that the league loves.
I thought Vancouver was pushing for the Heritage Classic. No point in using them for a Winter Classic as well.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:38 AM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Is it bad that I would look more forward to the 24/7 series on the Sharks than their actual game if they were chosen? I'll miss the series after this last episode...

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:06 AM

The Winter Classic won't ever have a Canadian team in it and it will always have a team from a large TV market involved.

So if the game is in Denver, watch for the Rangers or Detroit to be the opponent.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:43 AM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

personally id say Philly is more likely then Denver.

A likely match up would be Rangers vs Flyers

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet View Post

I'll be rooting for heavy rain.

Old
01-02-2011, 09:39 AM
lol3rdround

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet View Post

what Lebrun also said (which wasn't mentioned in the first post) was that Philadelphia is what he thinks is the frontrunner to HOST the event next year (not Denver, he added that part on as an afterthought). So no, Philly wouldn't go out to Denver to play, but neither will San Jose. It's not going to happen. There's a short list of about 10 teams who ever get to play on NBC's matinees, San Jose isn't one of them, therefore they will never go to the Winter Classic. End of story.

edit: misread your post, thought you said Philly @ Denver. Just going to leave the tone of the post the same to deflate anyone else's delusions of grandeur about this.

Last edited by lol3rdround: 01-02-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: x
lol3rdround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

As badly as I want it with the Sharks being the road team, I'd be shocked if the Sharks were involved in a 2012 WC.

Having said that, I think it's ridiculous that the NHL (and NBC) have not considered doing an inter-conference matchup yet. It's long overdue and I am having a tough time understanding why it's such a foreign concept. Nobody on the main boards or hockey media EVER mentions the possibility. Even if that means Kings at Rangers/Flyers, I'm all for it.

Last edited by ChompChomp: 01-02-2011 at 10:31 AM.
ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:34 AM

How do you know they haven't considered it?

Old
01-02-2011, 10:47 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
How do you know they haven't considered it?
I don't know it has ever actually been considered, but on boards, media, etc, I have never heard anyone talk about an inter-conference matchup leading up to the selection of WC participants. It's always intra-conference and it's as if the hockey media doesn't even know that they can do an inter-conference matchup because if you read enough articles on ESPN/TSN/etc or listen to hours on end of NHL on XM, you'll never hear them suggest an inter-conference WC. Maybe the discussion post-this WC will have that, but somehow I doubt it given that in previous years I have yet to hear it even raised.

I understand the process is not fair by any means, but the league's showcase should have all divisions represented sooner rather than later. Now only two divisions have yet to be represented, the Pacific and the Northwest. I think you should either go Pacific at Northwest, or better yet, Pacific/Northwest at Eastern Conf major market.

Hence, I could rally around Kings (or Avs) at Rangers/Flyers.

Last edited by ChompChomp: 01-02-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old
01-02-2011, 11:00 AM
AStammer7*

I'll Be Rooting For Heavy Rain And Stopping This Stupid Spectacle!

Quote:
I'll be rooting for heavy rain.

Does anyone really care about the game or is it about profit. Does anyone care that some player might get injuried in these less that ideal conditions.After watching part of the game between Wash and Pitt it made me sick to see what kind of hockey was being displayed to the public. What the NHL needs are indoor facilities where they can keep the weather out.Of course they could simulate winter by sprinkling snow across the screen. Wouldn't be jolly?Instead we had this joke that was played out in the rain soaked ice of Heinz Field. It was kind've like playing on a patch of ice after a one weeks worth of Chinooks...For the love of the game and hockey loving fans stop this abomination they call the Winter and Heritage classic...I'm sure as hell thinking that come Feb we will have many Chinooks to spoil the game being played in Calgary at the football stadium...maybe they should move the games to the Arctic circle...wait they can't do that either because Global Warming has affected everything even our senses and logic...

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:00 AM
rangerssharks414

I think it's going to be Penguins/Flyers in Philly. Yes, I know the Penguins just played in the Winter Classic yesterday, but they're the Penguins.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:05 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
I think it's going to be Penguins/Flyers in Philly. Yes, I know the Penguins just played in the Winter Classic yesterday, but they're the Penguins.
Sadly, it's hard to argue against this. It's like if the NBA had an equivalent of choosing one game for a league showcase, they would have the Miami Heat on every year, and most years, it would the Lakers vs. Heat.

Old
01-02-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
I don't see the Penguins in the game next season...

Old
01-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
I'd rather Sharks v. Red Wings wherever the Lions play. More of a rivalry and then I could road trip it up and attend myself.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:19 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognition View Post
I'd rather Sharks v. Red Wings wherever the Lions play. More of a rivalry and then I could road trip it up and attend myself.
The Lions play in a closed dome. Don't think a WC will happen there. Maybe at the University of Michigan though (where they just had the Cold War rematch)...

Old
01-02-2011, 11:28 AM
rangerssharks414

Michigan Stadium is the other logical choice in my mind. It's either going to be there or in Philly where the Eagles play.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
The Lions play in a closed dome. Don't think a WC will happen there. Maybe at the University of Michigan though (where they just had the Cold War rematch)...
I could see that happening...

Old
01-02-2011, 11:35 AM
68 Z-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
110,000 people would be fun to hear on national TV for an NHL game.

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Please let it be in Denver! I'll be moving to Colorado this year! Weeee!!

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:11 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

I'd love to be in the Winter Classic. Sadly, I think the Pens will be in the 2012 WC against some other East team.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:24 PM
NorCalJen
Oh baby! Oh mama!!

If it were in Denver, I'd totally make the trip. It's not so much about watching the game but it'd be fun to just be there in the snow with the spectacle.

NorCalJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:10 PM
sub_zero94

Quote:
The Winter Classic won't ever have a Canadian team in it and it will always have a team from a large TV market involved.

So if the game is in Denver, watch for the Rangers or Detroit to be the opponent.
i think a New York vs Toronto game would work.

sub_zero94 is offline   Reply With Quote