HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

The last missing piece: Another solid D

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 500
Commodore has requested trade...

what do you think of that? should we go after him?

Old
01-05-2011, 11:34 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post

I'll pass.

Old
01-05-2011, 11:37 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post

No thanks. His cap hit is 3.75 for another two years. Also, he's last among Columbus D with -8 and averaging just 18 minutes a game.

Old
01-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Not at his salary.

Old
01-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
We don't have a contract bad enough to exchange for Commodore.

01-05-2011, 11:44 AM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Hi Lightning fans, I wanted to know if Ryan Malone is available. I've seen in this thread some fans saying that your need is a defensman and a third line winger. If Malone can be available, what about:

Ryan Malone for Francois Beauchemin and Fredrik Sjostrom.

Old
01-05-2011, 11:57 AM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafs4ever View Post
Hi Lightning fans, I wanted to know if Ryan Malone is available. I've seen in this thread some fans saying that your need is a defensman and a third line winger. If Malone can be available, what about:

Ryan Malone for Francois Beauchemin and Fredrik Sjostrom.
With the way he's playing he won't be going anywhere, not to mention a great player to have on the team for the playoffs.

Old
01-05-2011, 12:30 PM
pirate94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2891 View Post
With the way he's playing he won't be going anywhere, not to mention a great player to have on the team for the playoffs.
It's also not a cap friendly trade for the Leafs.

Old
01-05-2011, 01:30 PM
phatmike

how about mark stuart? bottom pairing shutdown D, good hitter, purported to be a good locker-room guy. currently coming back from a minor injury and has become a little bit redundant on boston's blue line. $1.65m IIRC, UFA at the end of the year.

what's smaby's deal? is he a career AHLer or someone with NHL potential?

Last edited by phatmike: 01-05-2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added "bottom pairing"
Old
01-05-2011, 01:51 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmike View Post
how about mark stuart? bottom pairing shutdown D, good hitter, purported to be a good locker-room guy. currently coming back from a minor injury and has become a little bit redundant on boston's blue line. $1.65m IIRC, UFA at the end of the year.

what's smaby's deal? is he a career AHLer or someone with NHL potential?
I would love Mark Stuart on our blueline.

Smaby was one of our best D-men a few seasons back (for the 2nd half of the season) and did this while playing with a fractured foot. However, he has since been hit with a ****load of other injuries and it's not only screwed up his development but also has messed up his conditioning at times.

I personally am a Smaby supporter, and I think if he can stay healthy and play enough minutes (even in the AHL) he can get back to what he was and become a decent bottom pairing d-man. Then again, he could continue to play 7 minutes every other night, get injured and become an AHL journeyman or 7th D-man at best.

What would Boston want for Stuart?

Old
01-05-2011, 01:54 PM
pirate94

Quote:

Smaby was one of our best D-men a few seasons back (for the 2nd half of the season) and did this while playing with a fractured foot. However, he has since been hit with a ****load of other injuries and it's not only screwed up his development but also has messed up his conditioning at times.

I personally am a Smaby supporter, and I think if he can stay healthy and play enough minutes (even in the AHL) he can get back to what he was and become a decent bottom pairing d-man. Then again, he could continue to play 7 minutes every other night, get injured and become an AHL journeyman or 7th D-man at best.

I doubt they'd want to move him and i doubt we'd want him with his broken hand being out indefinitely

Old
01-05-2011, 02:14 PM
phatmike

Quote:

i think right now what boston needs more than anything is a top flight PMD. obviously these sorts of players dont grow on trees and arent easy to acquire. mark stuart certainly isnt gonna get us one!

stuart has been made redundant since we have a near league minimum guy in adam mcquaid who brings a reasonable facsimile of his skillset. i dont think anyone is running stuie out of town, but if i was the GM, i'd be willing to move stuie for futures, basically to free up his cap hit. having 300k available isnt enough to swing a deal at the deadline for that elusive PMD...but an extra 1.6m out may be enough to give us some flexibility.

i can see stuart being moved in a hunwick type deal...a soft deal to clear up cap space with a prospect coming back.

Old
01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
phatmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate94 View Post
I doubt they'd want to move him and i doubt we'd want him with his broken hand being out indefinitely
he's not out indefinitely. in fact he's skating and while there is certainly no rush to get him back in the lineup*, he will be ready soon. maybe by the weekend.

* the bruins currently have kampfer on emergency recall to cover stuart's injury. many feel like kampfer will stay up with the club and stuart will be dumped off a la sturm / hunwick / etc.

Old
01-05-2011, 02:26 PM
MomoSissokko

The last missing piece is ... et voilą
Hal Gill

Old
01-05-2011, 02:28 PM
pirate94

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmike View Post
he's not out indefinitely. in fact he's skating and while there is certainly no rush to get him back in the lineup*, he will be ready soon. maybe by the weekend.

* the bruins currently have kampfer on emergency recall to cover stuart's injury. many feel like kampfer will stay up with the club and stuart will be dumped off a la sturm / hunwick / etc.
Players can skate with broken hands.

Quote:
WILMINGTON, Mass. -- Boston Bruins defenseman Mark Stuart continues his rehab and has been skating. He's missed 12 games with a fractured right ring finger.

"We don't know how far away he is, but at least he's skating," said Bruins coach Claude Julien.

Old
01-05-2011, 03:19 PM
phatmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate94 View Post
Players can skate with broken hands.
thanks for the clarification there. i often skate on my hands so i wasnt aware of that.

there were other (older) reports saying he could be available by this upcoming weekend. things can change or things can stay the same. but regardless of an outward appearance of a lack of a clear time table, it's not the kind of injury that is going keep him out of the lineup for an extended period of time.

anyway. good day.

Old
01-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoSissokko View Post
The last missing piece is ... et voilą
Hal Gill

Gill would be eaten alive in this system.

Old
01-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Mike Commodore was just waived.

6-5, 235
Shoots: R
Salary: $3.8M
Quote:
ASSETS: Has tremendous size and strength. Plays a simple game that keeps improving with age and experience. Is well liked in the locker room.
FLAWS: Doesn't have a lot of scoring upside. Has trouble avoiding the injury bug. Can at times be beaten on the outside by a speed rusher.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Cagey depth defenseman.
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?1943

As mentioned earlier, he had requested a trade. He's scheduled to make $3.5 next year, and $3.35 the year after. ($3.75 cap hit)

If we do get him, he must wear #64. No excuses.

Old
01-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
No thanks, he has been really weak the last seasons, he won't be an upgrade for us.

01-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Boris Valabik got put on re-entry waivers.

After our drubbings by Pittsburgh, Valabik's nards may prove a useful distraction to Sidney Crosby.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:31 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Boris Valabik got put on re-entry waivers.

After our drubbings by Pittsburgh, Valabik's nards may prove a useful distraction to Sidney Crosby.
Well, why not. Former first rounder (10th overall), played up to 20 minutes last season on the Thrashers. Cap hit is ~0.37 million if I'm correct. A younger and bigger Matt Smaby if you will.

From HF (yeah!):
Quote:
Talent Analysis:
Don't let the birthday fool you, this guy is anything but a sweetheart. In fact, he might be the meanest European defenseman to ever come over to the OHL. He uses his body well and is a fearsome fighter. He can make a good first pass and has decent shot selection. Has a good slapshot, but rarely uses it.
Weaknesses include mobility, puckhandling, and discipline.

Future:
Valabik projects as a stay at home defenseman with little offensive upside.
He's not the solution though. Not in the near future, at least.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 01-07-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old
01-07-2011, 05:05 PM
vinnythe deuce

Won't Commodore's salary be half this year and his remaining year of his current contract if he is picked up on re-entry waivers? That could be enticing with a sub 2 mil salary for an experienced vet, with a lot of playoff experience.

Old
01-08-2011, 11:24 AM
chasespace

Commodore may just need a scenery change and a couch like Boucher to turn him around. If he hits re-entry I would hope Yzerman takes a long look at him.

Old
01-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnythe deuce View Post
Won't Commodore's salary be half this year and his remaining year of his current contract if he is picked up on re-entry waivers? That could be enticing with a sub 2 mil salary for an experienced vet, with a lot of playoff experience.
Just half for this year.

And his current deal runs through 2012-13.

Old
01-08-2011, 03:04 PM
nhljohnson

If any additional move is made, I think it'd be ideal for SFY to grab a righty shot and/or an expiring contract. If those were the search parameters, I think Kevin Bieksa would make the most sense. But without Salo's return from injury, which is far from certain, Bieksa probably isn't headed anywhere.

Steve Montador, whom Brad suggested previously, would fit the bill and could play whatever minutes Boucher decided to utilize him for. He might come relatively cheap, too, if and when Buffalo decides to waive the white flag. Then again, I could see them interested in re-signing him, so, it'll be interesting to see if his name surfaces in trade rumors.

I like Kevin Klein but don't see him as a realistic option; he's signed for far too cheap for the next several seasons for Nashville to even consider moving him, IMO.

If it wasn't for the additional year remaining on his contract, I'd be much more keen on bringing back Cory Sarich.

Last edited by nhljohnson: 01-08-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Closed Thread