HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Feaster: Short term moves?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2011, 05:23 AM
  #26
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
here are some ideas for short term moves to help the club move forward...

@ the deadline...

to Bruins:
D - Anton Babchuk ($1,400,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
LW - Daniel Paille ($1,075,000 - UFA - '12)
2nd in 2011
_______________

to Canadiens:
LW - Curtis Glencross ($1,200,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
RW - Danny Kristo (Unsigned NCAA Prospect)
C - Dustin Boyd ($650,000 - RFA '11)
_______________

to Ducks:
LW - Alex Tanguay ($1,700,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
2nd in 2011
3rd in 2011 (NYI)
_______________

to Canucks:
C - Brendan Morrison ($725,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
3rd in 2011
_______________

to Thrashers:
D - Steve Staios ($2,700,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
4th in 2011
_______________

to Lightning:

D - Adam Pardy ($700,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
3rd in 2011
_______________

to Capitals:
C - Olli Jokinen ($3,000,000 - UFA '12)

to Flames:
C - Mathieu Perrault ($716,667 - RFA '11)
_______________

to Blues:
LW - Niklas Hagman ($3,000,000 - UFA '12)
4th in 2011

to Flames:
C - Brett Sonne ($883,333 - RFA '12)
2nd in 2011
_______________

to Flyers:
RW - Tom Kostopoulos ($916,667 - UFA '12)

to Flames:

LW - Daniel Carcillo ($1,075,000 - RFA '11)
_______________

to Islanders/Leafs:
RW - Ales Kotalik ($3,000,000 - UFA '12)
3rd in 2012

to Flames:
7th in 2011

______________________________________________

that would leave us with the following guys next season...

__________ - __________ - Iginla 7.000
Backlund 1.281 - Stajan 3.500 - Bourque 3.333
Carcillo RFA - Boyd RFA - Moss 1.300
Paille 1.075 - Perreault RFA - Jackman 0.600
Ivanans 0.65

Regehr 4.020 - Bouwmeester 6.680
Giordano 4.020 - Erixon Unsigned
Brodie 0.733 - Sarich 3.600
Mikkelson RFA

Kiprusoff 5.833
__________

We would have about $15 million in cap space to sign Carcillo, Boyd. Perreault, Erixon, Mikkelson & a backup (I would guess we could get all of this for less than $5 million)... as well as sign a couple forwards to play with Iginla (Tanguay & Richards) for the remaining $10 million... plus whatever the cap rises

and then in our system we would now have...

Howse - Sonne - Nemisz
Bouma - Wahl - Kristo
MacMillan - Reinhart - Cameron
Chucko - Patterson - Bjorklund
Bennett - Armstrong - Grantham

Leach - Pelech
Negrin - Seabrook
Ramage - Balwdwin
Breen

Irving - Ortio

as well as the follow picks in 2011...

1st Round
CGY

2nd Round
AHM, BOS, STL

3rd Round
NYI, TBL, VAN

4th Round
ATL

5th Round
CGY

6th Round
CGY

7th Round
CGY. TOR/NYI

we would also be weak enough where a lottery pick is possible in 2011 and maybe 2012

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:07 AM
  #27
fullblown nuckfan*
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: kelowna b.c.
Country: Canada
Posts: 139
vCash: 500

fullblown nuckfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:13 AM
  #28
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,241
vCash: 50
Lunatik, not to bad at all if thats the direction that Feaster decides to go. But man would we definitely be a basement team next year if we couldn't sign Richards. Seriously though, I wouldn't mind seeing Boyd brought back, the more I've been thinking about it I'd like to see him get another shot here. He may be a late bloomer and he's been putting up respectable numbers in the Habs farm. If we could get a top couple of draft picks, and land 2 quality FA's this kind of retool may work. It would also add much more depth to our system. The only thing I may do is look at trading one of Bourque or Regehr to land that top prospect to really kick start things. In the grand scheme of everything that really wouldn't hurt us to much. I'd probably lean more towards on trading Regehr, as he is older and his return would be slightly higher.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:21 AM
  #29
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside
 
TheDoctor10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
He's a 20-25 per year goalcorer if you give him lots of premium ice time and PP time, who's signed for 5+ years at $3.333M, and has a NTC. He's also 29 years old and has likely peaked, so the inconsistent play and injuries are going nowhere.

Sorry, but that adds up to a contract not many teams would want, much less give up a "nice return" for him.

Bourque could be moved for a similiar type contract value.
He's recently 29, his best centreman has been Daymond Langkow and he hasn't played in almost a year. When he broke out two years ago, he was getting almost none of his goals on the PP. And he brings a physical edge (Or used to) that Iginla should be playing with more.

Wingers with his skillset and his cap hit (Which should really only be a liability in the last year or so; in between you'll get 3-4 35-40 goal seasons with some top centremen) are in some ways more valuable than Iginla, who is obviously the better player, but doesn't give a team the same flexibility a Bourque does.

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:40 PM
  #30
scoringmachine
Registered User
 
scoringmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
With multiple media reports out that have Feaster on record saying that he will not be trading away any of the core players (and these players being Iginla, Bouwmeester, Giordano, Kipper and Regehr), what if any moves in the short term could be expected. Despite recent contract signings, with a new GM in place there is no loyality to past relations because this GM is somewhat free to put his own stamp on the team. So if no one from the core that Feaster named is going to be traded in the immediate future, what players could be moved?

The players that could be moved are:

Forwards:

Mikael Backlund, Rene Bourque, Craig Conroy, Curtis Glencross, Niklas Hagman, Raitis Ivanans, Tim Jackman, Olli Jokinen, Tom Kostopoulos, Ales Kotalik, Brendan Morrison, David Moss, Matt Stajan, Alex Tanguay

Defence:

Anton Babchuk, Adam Pardy, Cory Sarich, Steve Staios

Personally, I think that Stajan, Moss, Hagman and Sarich are the most likely to be the first to go. What are your thoughts?
I would prefer Feaster to keep the team he has until the end of the season. People do not want to talk negative but just seeing how the Flames play they would need a miracle to make the playoffs.

At the end of the season these are players contract is up.

Forwards:

Alex Tanguay, Curtis Glencross, Brendan Morrison, Craig Conroy,

Defense:

Steve Staois, Anton Babchuck, Adam Pardy, Brendan Mikkelson (RFA),

Goalies

Henrik Karlsson

These players should stay until the end of the season for Feaster to evaluate all of them. All except Mikkleson would be rental players if traded at the deadline and teams would not give good prospects or high picks as their is a risk these players may only be a rental and not resign. As soon as the playoffs are over Feaster should make clear to all GMs of all the players he is willing to trade. This will give GMs enough time to make an offer on any of the players available. Feaster should go with offers that will give him any good prospects, picks or veterans. You need some good veterans on your team if you want to be successful. Iginla is a good veteran to have for leadership, but you need more than just him and these veteran should be under age 30 so they can grow with the team. We do not need a veteran like Owen Nolan or Todd Bertuzzi where both lasted only one season.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:40 PM
  #31
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,241
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
I would prefer Feaster to keep the team he has until the end of the season. People do not want to talk negative but just seeing how the Flames play they would need a miracle to make the playoffs.

At the end of the season these are players contract is up.

Forwards:

Alex Tanguay, Curtis Glencross, Brendan Morrison, Craig Conroy,

Defense:

Steve Staois, Anton Babchuck, Adam Pardy, Brendan Mikkelson (RFA),

Goalies

Henrik Karlsson

These players should stay until the end of the season for Feaster to evaluate all of them. All except Mikkleson would be rental players if traded at the deadline and teams would not give good prospects or high picks as their is a risk these players may only be a rental and not resign. As soon as the playoffs are over Feaster should make clear to all GMs of all the players he is willing to trade. This will give GMs enough time to make an offer on any of the players available. Feaster should go with offers that will give him any good prospects, picks or veterans. You need some good veterans on your team if you want to be successful. Iginla is a good veteran to have for leadership, but you need more than just him and these veteran should be under age 30 so they can grow with the team. We do not need a veteran like Owen Nolan or Todd Bertuzzi where both lasted only one season.
Honestly, right now I think anybody and everybody could be on the table with NO exceptions. Everyone is playing for their jobs right now, and I really don't think it matters whether their contract is up at seasons end or not. Feaster knows what Morrison, Staios, and Glencross all bring, so there are no surprises there. I think that for that right deal you trade anybody.

If Boston comes along and offers something along the lines of TO's 1st, Krejci, and Colborne for Iginla then IMO thats a deal that you have to make. The players that we currently have on our roster that are going to be UFA's at the end of this season are good trades to make IF it is unlikely that they will not be back next season. Players values are at their highest on deadline day, so it is more beneficial to Feaster to deal them now than in the offseason. And besides I am pretty sure he will know who he wants to bring back by then anyways (he probably knows now). I get what you are saying, but I think Feaster would not be doing his job properly to listen to all offers.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:36 PM
  #32
slappipappi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
here are some ideas for short term moves to help the club move forward...

@ the deadline...

to Bruins:
D - Anton Babchuk ($1,400,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
LW - Daniel Paille ($1,075,000 - UFA - '12)
2nd in 2011
_______________

to Canadiens:
LW - Curtis Glencross ($1,200,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
RW - Danny Kristo (Unsigned NCAA Prospect)
C - Dustin Boyd ($650,000 - RFA '11)
_______________

to Ducks:
LW - Alex Tanguay ($1,700,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
2nd in 2011
3rd in 2011 (NYI)
_______________

to Canucks:
C - Brendan Morrison ($725,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
3rd in 2011
_______________

to Thrashers:
D - Steve Staios ($2,700,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
4th in 2011
_______________

to Lightning:

D - Adam Pardy ($700,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
3rd in 2011
_______________

to Capitals:
C - Olli Jokinen ($3,000,000 - UFA '12)

to Flames:
C - Mathieu Perrault ($716,667 - RFA '11)
_______________

to Blues:
LW - Niklas Hagman ($3,000,000 - UFA '12)
4th in 2011

to Flames:
C - Brett Sonne ($883,333 - RFA '12)
2nd in 2011
_______________

to Flyers:
RW - Tom Kostopoulos ($916,667 - UFA '12)

to Flames:

LW - Daniel Carcillo ($1,075,000 - RFA '11)
_______________

to Islanders/Leafs:
RW - Ales Kotalik ($3,000,000 - UFA '12)
3rd in 2012

to Flames:
7th in 2011

______________________________________________

that would leave us with the following guys next season...

__________ - __________ - Iginla 7.000
Backlund 1.281 - Stajan 3.500 - Bourque 3.333
Carcillo RFA - Boyd RFA - Moss 1.300
Paille 1.075 - Perreault RFA - Jackman 0.600
Ivanans 0.65

Regehr 4.020 - Bouwmeester 6.680
Giordano 4.020 - Erixon Unsigned
Brodie 0.733 - Sarich 3.600
Mikkelson RFA

Kiprusoff 5.833
__________

We would have about $15 million in cap space to sign Carcillo, Boyd. Perreault, Erixon, Mikkelson & a backup (I would guess we could get all of this for less than $5 million)... as well as sign a couple forwards to play with Iginla (Tanguay & Richards) for the remaining $10 million... plus whatever the cap rises

and then in our system we would now have...

Howse - Sonne - Nemisz
Bouma - Wahl - Kristo
MacMillan - Reinhart - Cameron
Chucko - Patterson - Bjorklund
Bennett - Armstrong - Grantham

Leach - Pelech
Negrin - Seabrook
Ramage - Balwdwin
Breen

Irving - Ortio

as well as the follow picks in 2011...

1st Round
CGY

2nd Round
AHM, BOS, STL

3rd Round
NYI, TBL, VAN

4th Round
ATL

5th Round
CGY

6th Round
CGY

7th Round
CGY. TOR/NYI

we would also be weak enough where a lottery pick is possible in 2011 and maybe 2012
I'd day pretty realistic.

The only one I really question is moving Kotalik. I doubt you can dump him with another year left on his contract without giving up a lot more than a third round pick. Unless Sutter gets a new job of course. Zero production for $3M isn't sought after when there's another year to go.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:43 PM
  #33
slappipappi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
IThese players should stay until the end of the season for Feaster to evaluate all of them. All except Mikkleson would be rental players if traded at the deadline and teams would not give good prospects or high picks as their is a risk these players may only be a rental and not resign.
You must be sleeping during the feeding frenzy of the trade deadline.

The vast majority of players that contenders are picking up are FA's to be. That's what they want, they are not lookimng for long term commitments, becuase the majority of those teams cannot afford long term commitments.

It's at least arguable that even a player like Iggy might have more trade value as a rental player.

But the majority of the Flames FA's to be would generally only interest other teams as rental players. And don't kid yourself, even some pretty marginal players have brought in 2nd round picks, as long as the contract obligation is over at the end of the year.

Guys like Babchuck, Tanguay (esp) and maybe Morrison will certainly bring 2nd round picks.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:07 AM
  #34
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,698
vCash: 72
Some good suggestions. I'm not sure Tanguay will be willing to waive given his comments about moving so much when he originally signed here. But you never know.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
we would also be weak enough where a lottery pick is possible in 2011 and maybe 2012
Welcome to the dark side.

We have cookies. (and rum)

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 02:34 AM
  #35
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Some good suggestions. I'm not sure Tanguay will be willing to waive given his comments about moving so much when he originally signed here. But you never know.



Welcome to the dark side.

We have cookies. (and rum)
ther eis a difference between accepting your team will suck and hoping they will do bad

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 07:46 PM
  #36
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
here are some ideas for short term moves to help the club move forward...

@ the deadline...

to Bruins:
D - Anton Babchuk ($1,400,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
LW - Daniel Paille ($1,075,000 - UFA - '12)
2nd in 2011
_______________

to Canadiens:
LW - Curtis Glencross ($1,200,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
RW - Danny Kristo (Unsigned NCAA Prospect)
C - Dustin Boyd ($650,000 - RFA '11)
_______________

to Ducks:
LW - Alex Tanguay ($1,700,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
2nd in 2011
3rd in 2011 (NYI)
_______________

to Canucks:
C - Brendan Morrison ($725,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
3rd in 2011
_______________

to Thrashers:
D - Steve Staios ($2,700,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
4th in 2011
_______________

to Lightning:

D - Adam Pardy ($700,000 - UFA '11)

to Flames:
3rd in 2011
_______________

to Capitals:
C - Olli Jokinen ($3,000,000 - UFA '12)

to Flames:
C - Mathieu Perrault ($716,667 - RFA '11)
_______________

to Blues:
LW - Niklas Hagman ($3,000,000 - UFA '12)
4th in 2011

to Flames:
C - Brett Sonne ($883,333 - RFA '12)
2nd in 2011
_______________

to Flyers:
RW - Tom Kostopoulos ($916,667 - UFA '12)

to Flames:

LW - Daniel Carcillo ($1,075,000 - RFA '11)
_______________

to Islanders/Leafs:
RW - Ales Kotalik ($3,000,000 - UFA '12)
3rd in 2012

to Flames:
7th in 2011

______________________________________________

that would leave us with the following guys next season...

__________ - __________ - Iginla 7.000
Backlund 1.281 - Stajan 3.500 - Bourque 3.333
Carcillo RFA - Boyd RFA - Moss 1.300
Paille 1.075 - Perreault RFA - Jackman 0.600
Ivanans 0.65

Regehr 4.020 - Bouwmeester 6.680
Giordano 4.020 - Erixon Unsigned
Brodie 0.733 - Sarich 3.600
Mikkelson RFA

Kiprusoff 5.833
__________

We would have about $15 million in cap space to sign Carcillo, Boyd. Perreault, Erixon, Mikkelson & a backup (I would guess we could get all of this for less than $5 million)... as well as sign a couple forwards to play with Iginla (Tanguay & Richards) for the remaining $10 million... plus whatever the cap rises

and then in our system we would now have...

Howse - Sonne - Nemisz
Bouma - Wahl - Kristo
MacMillan - Reinhart - Cameron
Chucko - Patterson - Bjorklund
Bennett - Armstrong - Grantham

Leach - Pelech
Negrin - Seabrook
Ramage - Balwdwin
Breen

Irving - Ortio

as well as the follow picks in 2011...

1st Round
CGY

2nd Round
AHM, BOS, STL

3rd Round
NYI, TBL, VAN

4th Round
ATL

5th Round
CGY

6th Round
CGY

7th Round
CGY. TOR/NYI

we would also be weak enough where a lottery pick is possible in 2011 and maybe 2012
Good ideas and thanks for posting. I have been too floored at work to take a hack at this lol. I think it is a balanced approach to changing the team for the future.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.