01-02-2011, 02:12 PM
CoRD
GO BRUINS GO!!

vCash: 50
Backlund Recalled [Post #17] Mikkelson Sent Down To Abbotsford

http://twitter.com/#!/NHLFlames

Quote:
#Flames assign F Mikael Backlund to Abbotsford #Heat
Supposedly just for 4 games and he should be back up for the next road trip. I don't really have a problem with it, he might as well be playing. I would rather it with the big club, but we're on a winning streak so if it ain't broke..

Edit: Mikkelson sent down too.

http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/ViewAr...CLID=205070277
http://twitter.com/#!/abbotsfordheat

Quote:
Backlund and Mikkelson assigned to Heat...

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:17 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
I'd rather see Backlund playin' with the Heat than sitting with the Flames. I see nothing wrong with this move.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:32 PM
tfong

Backlund needs more experience and playing time so that when the veterans FINALLY move on then he won't be tossed into the fire. This is a good move to give him play time but I think other players should be benched, and give Backlund the play time since the team is on a somewhat downturn this year, it would be great to give him experience rather than having veterans play us out of a top 5 pick.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

If Mikkelson is being sent down, does it mean Staois is close to returning?

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:45 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
If Mikkelson is being sent down, does it mean Staois is close to returning?
I don't think Staois fits under the cap at this point, unless there's a trade.? Not sure though. He sure did get injured at a funny time though... just as Kotalik was returning.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:37 PM
bigchief12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
I don't think Staois fits under the cap at this point, unless there's a trade.? Not sure though. He sure did get injured at a funny time though... just as Kotalik was returning.
You can put your conspiracy theory hat back in the closet. It was a crushing 2 man body check against the boards in the Chicago game. Staios was stepping up his physical game and even had a scrap that night. I think the Chicago bench had a little discussion to put this old man in his place and pow! they did. Staios barely limped off under his own power.

Last edited by bigchief12: 01-02-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: clarity
bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Good to see Backlund getting the ice time he deserves, even if just for a few games.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
Staios isn't on LTIR... only Langkow and Ivanans are... Staios can return anytime as long as there is a roster spot for him... and the Mikkelson and Backlund demotions are simply conditioning stints.... so they still count against both the cap and roster limit...

however we do not have a roster spot open for Staios... but for any defenseman to be demoted (a real demotion not a conditioning stint) the player has to be waived... in fact the only player on our roster that doesn't have to clear waivers is Backlund

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:45 AM
tfong

Calgary, AB - The Calgary Flames announced today that centre Mikael Backlund has been assigned to the Abbotsford Heat (AHL). Defensemen Brendan Mikkelson has also been sent to Abbotsford for a conditioning assignment.

Says Mikkelson was sent for conditioning, doesn't mean Backlund is too though does it? The sentences were separated so I'm not sure.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 06:37 AM
CorsiCounter

Backlund was sent down the normal way as he didn't need to pass through waivers. Mikkelson through a conditioning stint.

CorsiCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:45 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

This is good, I was going to asl about Mikkelson having to clear, totally forgot in the conditioning stint rule(s). I honestly don't think Sutter would have done anything like this, he woulda had Backlund sitting in the press box for another week or so

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:41 PM
The Hutch

This is how you operate a hockey team. Sometimes, you just have to move bodies between the show and the farm. Sutter would keep everyone in one place. The players coming down has worked out well for the Heat. Ryan Stone is a workhorse.

The Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:45 AM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Staios isn't on LTIR... only Langkow and Ivanans are... Staios can return anytime as long as there is a roster spot for him... and the Mikkelson and Backlund demotions are simply conditioning stints.... so they still count against both the cap and roster limit...

however we do not have a roster spot open for Staios... but for any defenseman to be demoted (a real demotion not a conditioning stint) the player has to be waived... in fact the only player on our roster that doesn't have to clear waivers is Backlund
Oh if only we could waive Steady Steve and get that 2.7M off our cap... Somehow I think that if we could get even a 5th for that guy, it would've happened already.

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:00 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime View Post
Oh if only we could waive Steady Steve and get that 2.7M off our cap... Somehow I think that if we could get even a 5th for that guy, it would've happened already.
they can waive him and demote him to stop him from counting against the cap

Old
01-04-2011, 03:20 AM
Backlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Backlund needs more experience and playing time so that when the veterans FINALLY move on then he won't be tossed into the fire. This is a good move to give him play time but I think other players should be benched, and give Backlund the play time since the team is on a somewhat downturn this year, it would be great to give him experience rather than having veterans play us out of a top 5 pick.
No kidding, Langkow, Conroy, Morrison and Staois got to go.

$8,425,000 in cap space if they all retire.

But this is a good move but I hope to see Backlund return and tear it up in the NHL.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number Eight View Post
No kidding, Langkow, Conroy, Morrison and Staois got to go.

$8,425,000 in cap space if they all retire.

But this is a good move but I hope to see Backlund return and tear it up in the NHL.
Connie and Morrison don't contribute very much to that total. They are a combined $1,225,000.00 A whopping total of about 15% of the total cap hit....

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Feel The Heat

heraldvickihall

Quote:
well that didn't last long. RT @dankinvigsports: RT @dcmahiban: The #Flames have recalled Mikael Backlund from #Abbotsford

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:12 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Varly Varly

vCash: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Heat View Post
heraldvickihall

guess they wanted to give him 1 game worth of 1st line minutes in the ahl

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:39 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Heat View Post
heraldvickihall

I'm assuming there's an injury we don't know about yet or Feaster is about to pull the trigger on a deal of some sort.

Old
01-04-2011, 01:41 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
they can waive him and demote him to stop him from counting against the cap
I'm well aware they COULD; I'm just used to the mindset that Sutter would never do that to a vet he brought in and overpaid for.

In all honesty, I think Staios serves the organization better in Abbotsford; he gives the young blue-line a mentor and although he's not very effective at the NHL level any more, he is a guy who's gone on long Stanley Cup runs and had success in the show. He could be their Crash Davis. He'd be much more useful in that capacity than as an 8th defender.

Old
01-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I'm assuming there's an injury we don't know about yet or Feaster is about to pull the trigger on a deal of some sort.
or he saw the team **** the bad against the 2nd worst team in the league and wants a couple guys out of the lineup

Old
01-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Sutter did not want to change the lineup until the Flames lossed a game. Islanders took care of that now Backlund can be inserted back into the lineup.

With JD Watt placed on Waivers maybe the Flames are up to something.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime View Post
I'm well aware they COULD; I'm just used to the mindset that Sutter would never do that to a vet he brought in and overpaid for.

In all honesty, I think Staios serves the organization better in Abbotsford; he gives the young blue-line a mentor and although he's not very effective at the NHL level any more, he is a guy who's gone on long Stanley Cup runs and had success in the show. He could be their Crash Davis. He'd be much more useful in that capacity than as an 8th defender.
I also don't think you were right in your assessment where you said you think if we could get something we would have for now... i don't think Sutter tried to move him at all... he wanted injury depth... honestly out of respect to Staios i would waive him then if unclaimed put him on re-entry to give him a chance... we'd save 1.35 million in cap space and its not like we need it playing like this

Old
01-04-2011, 02:06 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
or he saw the team **** the bad against the 2nd worst team in the league and wants a couple guys out of the lineup

Could be.

It's time for Bourque and Stajan to sit the **** down until they remember why they're here.

Old
01-04-2011, 02:18 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
I also don't think you were right in your assessment where you said you think if we could get something we would have for now... i don't think Sutter tried to move him at all... he wanted injury depth... honestly out of respect to Staios i would waive him then if unclaimed put him on re-entry to give him a chance... we'd save 1.35 million in cap space and its not like we need it playing like this
I'll agree with you that, at this point, the cap space is kinda irrelevant for us; we aren't going to make a big-ticket acquisition at the deadline, and despite what Feaster says, I'm still anticipating some salary being shed mid-February. Maybe not Iginla, but I would certainly think Regehr has been made aware that the organization would like to take offers for him.

Staios... I can't imagine there's much of a need for him on any NHL roster... At this point, he's old, injury-prone, slow, limited in every single aspect of the game. Even at 1.35, I wonder how many teams would have even a passing interest.