HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this team becoming the one we thought they were?

Old
01-02-2011, 03:56 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Is this team becoming the one we thought they were?

With the sudden change in atmosphere around the flames dressing room and on the bench, things appear to have changed. The confidence is still quite fragile but there are some very good signs that things are starting to improve. I have often thought that the flames can be much more effective when they play a disciplined game. last night was no exception. How many times have I seen them take poor penalties and blow a game like that. In particular, they have seemed to have saved up their bonehead plays for the last few minutes in close games. Hell they even mess things up when they are riding a comfortable lead.

This team looks more like the team we imagined it would be at the beginning of the year.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:15 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
Hard to say... The team hasn't played with an edge for a long time. We sacrificed toughness for discipline.

We may be winning which is always good, but I'm definitely not excited by the way the Flames are playing right now. Watching the Canada-Sweden game in the afternoon and then the Flames that night... I fell asleep on my couch. Watching the Winter Classic and then the Flames had the same effect. Their game is really controlled right now, the top line finally forced some chemistry with Jokinen, but the pace of games is just dull.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:25 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Hard to say... The team hasn't played with an edge for a long time. We sacrificed toughness for discipline.

We may be winning which is always good, but I'm definitely not excited by the way the Flames are playing right now. Watching the Canada-Sweden game in the afternoon and then the Flames that night... I fell asleep on my couch. Watching the Winter Classic and then the Flames had the same effect. Their game is really controlled right now, the top line finally forced some chemistry with Jokinen, but the pace of games is just dull.
I have to look at a team like Detroit and see the advantage they have because they are not playing as rough a game as Calgary. When the team plays disciplined, a lot of the marginal calls don't go against them. Every time I see the Flames get screwed by a ref, I have to think it is because of the style of game they play.

Are you willing to sacrifice style points for wins? At this point, I would have to say yes. Just get them winning before you worry about style of game. That's my motto.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:57 PM
slappipappi

Calgary is a marginal playiff team.

The problem is, with the start they had, they have to play at an elite status the rest of the year to make the playoffs.

But they are not as bad as some of the teams in the league.

If the season started today, I have no doubt they could get around 92-94 points which might get them into the playoffs.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
To make that kind of statement after 1 game has been played since the removal of Sutter, or after only a 3 game win streak is far to premature. Its nice they have a little win streak going, but I think a minimum of a 20 game stretch needs to go by before such an assessment can be made.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
To make that kind of statement after 1 game has been played since the removal of Sutter, or after only a 3 game win streak is far to premature. Its nice they have a little win streak going, but I think a minimum of a 20 game stretch needs to go by before such an assessment can be made.
2 games since Sutter stepped down... and 4 wins in a row

I would also like to point out the Flames are 9-6-1 since that grueling East Coast road trip

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote