HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scouting Reports (Officials)

Old
01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

vCash: 500
Scouting Reports (Officials)

Somewhat related to the Habs actually. And it's not meant to bash referees but a comment by the Floirida announcers got me thinking.

It was mentioned during the Florida broadcast of the Panther - Habs games that referees and linesmen have access to "scouting" reports just as teams do. They kinda went off on a tangent after the Santorelli misconduct penalty. The announcers implied that officials are more inclined to give penalties based on reputations read in reports. Santorelli they claimed shouldn't have such a reputation that earned him the penalty.

I guess my hangup is why are officials (referees/linesmen) allowed access to "scouting" reports? Shouldn't their calls be based on an objective point of view and not one influenced by "scouting reports". I can fully understand reputations being perceived because of normal media and networking so to speak but to have actual "reports" to me is another source which IMO could greatly influence officiating no matter the sport.

Am I out to lunch on this? I guess I never realized officials of any sport looked at "reports". Did I misinterpret what the Florida announcers implied?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Habbadasher

Players get reputations and refs are human.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:37 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

what's the reason for allowing them access to that? kind of contradicts impartiality. what relevance could it have to the referees? they aren't part of the game in that sense.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:06 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Players get reputations and refs are human.
I fully understand that. But are reputations "earned" through reports too? Can someone verify what the Florida announcers implied - do officials have access to "scouting" reports? And if they do - why? Shouldn't their calls be ojective and not subjective?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Darth Joker

You're definitely not out to lunch on this.

It's why Laps used to get the most incredibly bogus diving calls I've ever seen.

I recall Laps once getting hit into the boards from behind - he collapses onto the ice just like any other player would from such a hit - and somehow Laps gets a diving penalty for what should have been a hit from behind penalty to the other team.

I personally think that the refs put too much emphasis on a players reputation. They take it to ridiculous extremes. They certainly did with Laps.

And in case anyone thinks I'm being biased here since I'm a Habs fan... just ask Ducks fans about Laps penalties in 30 or so Ducks games from now. They'll probably get to see the same ref bias against Laps that I noticed.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Go Habs Go

Even if they didn't get it, I'm sure to be a ref at such a high level, you must love hockey and follow it pretty closely. They're already aware of who the troublemakers are or who are more likely to cheapshot someone.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:49 PM
HC Ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I guess my hangup is why are officials (referees/linesmen) allowed access to "scouting" reports? Shouldn't their calls be based on an objective point of view and not one influenced by "scouting reports". I can fully understand reputations being perceived because of normal media and networking so to speak but to have actual "reports" to me is another source which IMO could greatly influence officiating no matter the sport.
Scouting reports are there to intentionally influence officials. Without them, a dirty player could potentially get away with 2-3 subtle cheapshots per game with a referee who doesn't know of his reputation and is calling the game purely objectively and not paying as much attention to that player, for example behind the play. The opposing team would then be penalized for any blatant retaliation to a cheapshot, and dirty players would thrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
I personally think that the refs put too much emphasis on a players reputation. They take it to ridiculous extremes.
I agree. It makes it difficult for a player with a bad reputation who is genuinely trying to play a disciplined game. In a well-scouted league such as the NHL, not only do referees know which players have bad reputations, but so do opposing players. For example, if a player knows that Sean Avery is gently touching his waist with his stick, he could easily turn his body slightly to the side and hope the referee might make a reputation call.

HC Ref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:55 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
You're definitely not out to lunch on this.

It's why Laps used to get the most incredibly bogus diving calls I've ever seen.

I recall Laps once getting hit into the boards from behind - he collapses onto the ice just like any other player would from such a hit - and somehow Laps gets a diving penalty for what should have been a hit from behind penalty to the other team.

I personally think that the refs put too much emphasis on a players reputation. They take it to ridiculous extremes. They certainly did with Laps.

And in case anyone thinks I'm being biased here since I'm a Habs fan... just ask Ducks fans about Laps penalties in 30 or so Ducks games from now. They'll probably get to see the same ref bias against Laps that I noticed.
you mean the *SPLAT* dive?

this definitely was a dive, but is probably what earned him the reputation, IMO. And reputations should NOT factor into referee decisions.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
you mean the *SPLAT* dive?

this definitely was a dive, but is probably what earned him the reputation, IMO. And reputations should NOT factor into referee decisions.
I think diving earns and deserves a reputation because it's a lot harder to catch. It's bad for the sport (refer to soccer) and sometimes it's ridiculous. Some things I don't like is players like Holmstrom sometimes get goals called off just from standing there even when they don't touch the goalie. And yes Laps was a diver... Gionta started getting a few calls that I never understood came from though (one in that same game).

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote