HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Semifinal • Jan. 3 • Sweden 3, Russia 4 (SO)

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Sweden in regulation 55 52.88%
Sweden in OT/shootout 7 6.73%
Russia in regulation 29 27.88%
Russia in OT/shootout 13 12.50%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Peter The Great

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti_A View Post
I can't see a tired team Russia holding on for more than a period and a half in this game. And with Robyn Lehner in net the Russians will already be shaking in their boots going into the game.

Here's how it's going to play out: Sweden takes the early lead a couple minutes in followed by fairly even play with Russia tying things up at the 10 minute mark. About five minutes into the second Sweden regains the lead and the game remains close until Sweden score again with about 8 minutes to go in the second. This will open the floodgates and Russia can't withstand the barrage from Sweden and the rest will be a cakewalk. Final score, 8-1 Sweden.

The Swedes will go on to decisively defeat Canada in the final and capture the gold medal. Of this I am convinced. I'm fairly certain Canada will beat USA in another classic match up but either way nobody's stopping team Sweden, Canada doesn't have the goaltending and the US team is rather pedestrian compared to last year. There's only one team that could possibly beat Sweden and that is Sweden them self.

The only Swedish WJC squad that has ever impressed me more was the 2007 team in Pardubice.
Such a nice and intelligent Finn! :-) No more rivalry.

The reason why we are so good are actually the heavily influence from North American hockey the last 10 years or so and perhaps taken some sisu from Finland.

Swedish puck posession and skill mixed with offensive and physical play is a deadly mix. Not to forget, some "Jävlar anamma" (sisu). ;-)

Old
01-03-2011, 01:30 PM
MrJonas
Ekblades of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
No softies plz Lehner! You know what daddy think of those!
Others become good by skill and hard work, Lehner is good because of fear.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Oh come on, 1 bad goal. The rest were quite flukey. Lehner wasn't terrible, merely average with one bad one. Anyway I fully expect him to bounce back, he is a top prospect who works extremely hard.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
rushockey

Send a message via Skype™ to rushockey
I am also hoping that Lehner already played his best game of the tournament so far. In the game against Canada he was terrible, so it shows he can be inconsistent.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
MOGiLNY

Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
I'm with those who think Bobkov is a better goalie, but the difference between the two is marginal and neither are particularly great. A lot has already been said about 17 hours between two games for Russia and Bobkov is definitely more well rested than Shikin..

Old
01-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
I understand that USA wants their team to play prime-time and could care less how tired Russia is, but come on...
The organizers did a crap job when they setup the Quarter final schedule. They knew that the US was the Pool Winner and if they wanted them to play in prime time, that's fine, but ALL they had to do was to swap the start times for the Quarter finals and have Canada/Swiss play the evening game on Sunday and the evening tonight against the US.

That would have made everything fair.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
I can't see a tired team Russia holding on for more than a period and a half in this game. And with Robyn Lehner in net the Russians will already be shaking in their boots going into the game.

Here's how it's going to play out: Sweden takes the early lead a couple minutes in followed by fairly even play with Russia tying things up at the 10 minute mark. About five minutes into the second Sweden regains the lead and the game remains close until Sweden score again with about 8 minutes to go in the second. This will open the floodgates and Russia can't withstand the barrage from Sweden and the rest will be a cakewalk. Final score, 8-1 Sweden.

The Swedes will go on to decisively defeat Canada in the final and capture the gold medal. Of this I am convinced. I'm fairly certain Canada will beat USA in another classic match up but either way nobody's stopping team Sweden, Canada doesn't have the goaltending and the US team is rather pedestrian compared to last year. There's only one team that could possibly beat Sweden and that is Sweden them self.

The only Swedish WJC squad that has ever impressed me more was the 2007 team in Pardubice.
There was a guy from Finland who said something similiar; like "Russia doesn't have a chance.." cant quite remember his name

But ye, in all seriosness the odds are stacked against the Ruskies. But they were too against Finland...

Old
01-03-2011, 01:36 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
The organizers did a crap job when they setup the Quarter final schedule. They knew that the US was the Pool Winner and if they wanted them to play in prime time, that's fine, but ALL they had to do was to swap the start times for the Quarter finals and have Canada/Swiss play the evening game on Sunday and the evening tonight against the US.

That would have made everything fair.
Russia is definitely getting screwed bigtime.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urgi View Post

Swedens locker before the game!
Black Adolf?

Old
01-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Slimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
With all respect...this one is waaaaaaay more better...and more typically swedish...vikings, beer tents and quire singing

Go Sweden!!!
Hahahahaha!!

Old
01-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Svinet

Im highly worried about this game considering the match in group play. A Russia high on confidence, adrenaline and fighting spirit combined with a more rested but perhaps less focused Sweden could mean the end to the Swedish adventure this year. I won't predict anything yet but i have an uneasy feeling, probably based on the fact that both teams have had mixed performances during the whole tournament thus this match character is hard to predict.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Slimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJonas View Post
Shouldn't game songs in international tournaments be more folky than pop/rock-based? This is hereby Sweden's game song for this game.

[yt*]uPOBQKUB49U[*/yt]
Excellent choise.. However, I think Jussi would have a thing or two to say about that, and remember, this came very close to being the national anthem of Sweden back in the 'ol days.

Last edited by Slimmy: 01-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old
01-03-2011, 02:15 PM
NeilYoung

Anyone have a stream? I'm still at my hotel in pttsburgh and they obviously don't get the nhl network... Would be greatly appreciated

Old
01-03-2011, 02:19 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Swedish pump theme (sports but no hockey though):

Old
01-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Dosing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Swedish pump theme (sports but no hockey though):
omg its HeatoN!!

Old
01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
marlowwe

Anyone got a stream link?

Old
01-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Kiefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Anyone have a stream? I'm still at my hotel in pttsburgh and they obviously don't get the nhl network... Would be greatly appreciated
Several streams in first post.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:27 PM
DamonDRW

is there a link to russian stream?

Old
MrJonas
Ekblades of Steel

In the end I prefer SVT to TSN-streams. I kinda like the fact that everyone is such a ridiculous homer on SVT.

Old
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Isn't Clawfinger technically norwegian?

Old
01-03-2011, 02:28 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonDRW View Post
is there a link to russian stream?
go to allhockey.ru under the game thread there are a lot of streams.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:29 PM
MrJonas
Ekblades of Steel

Fitting for this year's Swedish team.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:31 PM
MaximusT

Quote:

a little upset from that loss last night huh?

Old
01-03-2011, 02:31 PM
DamonDRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
go to allhockey.ru under the game thread there are a lot of streams.
thanks! always forget about that

Old
01-03-2011, 02:33 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
Isn't Clawfinger technically norwegian?
Hmm no I do not think so, I do not know what "technically" means in this respect - "not really" I suppose.

Closed Thread