HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XIV

Ready, set, go.

one: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=753462
two: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=776166
three: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=782189
four: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=787189
five: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=793092
six: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=794527
seven: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=795838
eight: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=799223
nine: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=802322
ten: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=808507
eleven: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=813525
twelve: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=821720
thirteen: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=842896

Old
01-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Toyed with making a new thread for this (similar to the Perreault one), but what does everyone see as Beagle's future with the Caps? I think it's pretty clearly tied to what happens with Hendricks, B.Gordon, and Bradley. If one of them leaves, there's hopefully a spot for Beagle on the 4th line. If not, he'll probably miss out in the numbers game again, and possibly be claimed on waivers. I think he's proven himself to be an NHL caliber player.

Which do you prefer, Beags or the returning guys? Should he be shopped at the deadline as a component to get a 2C?

Old
01-03-2011, 09:54 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Toyed with making a new thread for this (similar to the Perreault one), but what does everyone see as Beagle's future with the Caps? I think it's pretty clearly tied to what happens with Hendricks, B.Gordon, and Bradley. If one of them leaves, there's hopefully a spot for Beagle on the 4th line. If not, he'll probably miss out in the numbers game again, and possibly be claimed on waivers. I think he's proven himself to be an NHL caliber player.

Which do you prefer, Beags or the returning guys? Should he be shopped at the deadline as a component to get a 2C?
is beagle better than either hendricks, bgordon or bradley? i'd say no. is he a better value than any of them? probably not and if you see otherwise, the margin is very slim.

if the caps give up on bgordon because of his injury problems, that opens up a spot. on the other hand his injury issues make his next contract very cost effective. if he has another good playoffs, he will stay.

when it comes down to it, if the caps can keep steckel and gordon for under $2m combined, I dont see them giving up the faceoffs.

it could be that next season mcphee will choose to keep 7 d and 14 f and that will leave room for beagle. thats if he decides he wants beagle instead of agordon.

imo there are no bad choices here. they have more good players than they need. i am also not sure that beagle has any real trouble clearing waivers

Old
01-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I think Beagle at $512.5k is a better value than Bradley at $1M. Especially with Matt Hendricks taking on much of the role that Bradley has filled previously. The X factor being Matt Bradley's chemistry with the team as a whole, and particularly how that has seemingly sparked the team before.

Old
01-03-2011, 10:38 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I've said it for a while so I'm not changing tunes now. Yes that 500k isn't worth it. Keep beags and let brads move on.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:15 PM
bobbybobcat11

Sure, the $500K may not be worth it but I'd have to say the team chemistry is. I think it'd take a hard toll on the team if Bradley was to leave the locker room. If anyone, I see Boyd leaving and thats only because of his injury problems

Old
01-03-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybobcat11 View Post
Sure, the $500K may not be worth it but I'd have to say the team chemistry is. I think it'd take a hard toll on the team if Bradley was to leave the locker room. If anyone, I see Boyd leaving and thats only because of his injury problems
That I can understand but from seeing a few episodes of 24/7 and the willingness to fight .... it would appear that Hendricks is MORE than capable to fill (replace) Matty B on this team.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:54 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Revisiting the Scott Hannan issue and the question that appeared in another thread regarding whether the Capitals should try to resign him, the answer is most definitely.

Hannan is a legitimate top pairing defenseman that only makes Green better. I believe his true value to the Capitals has yet to be seen and will be most evident come the playoffs.

Hannan's two years younger than Poti and one year older than Erskine. Both Erskine and Poti have been re-upped for two more years after this season. Poti at about 2.8 and Ersk at 1.5. I'd pursue Hannan for a two year contract as well in the range of 3.5. This may translate in not resigning the likes of Bradley and Knuble come the off season in order to resign Hannan, Laich and perhaps Semin.

Hannan's much more durable than Poti and has a history of missing very few games. He talks alot on the ice, unlike Poti and Ersk who from what I've read are quiet. Hannan will be excellent for mentoring the likes of Green and Alzner.

Besides it's not like he's blocking anyone from making the D-Corps right now, unless you'd like to see more Tyler Sloan or Brian Fahey.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Robert Theodorson

3.5 mil is a lot of money for what Hannan brings. However I thought Erskine was a bit overpaid, it's all good so long as no contract exceeds two years, I'd rather have Orlov replacing Poti after next year than Hannan this year, it would be the ideal situation for us.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:53 PM
txpd

extending hannan can only be decided after the playoffs. he will have to help the caps with any contract he signs. the caps are not going to be able to afford him salary or term on the open market. not close.

if he is willing to sign for two years and for a salary mcphee can make work, then i say keep him. hannan is fedorov. a rental with possibilities. when his contract needs exceed what mcphee can do, he will let him go.

Old
01-03-2011, 05:09 PM
JBurd

Who is left out if we resign Hannan? We already have Green, Schultz, Poti, Carlson, Erskine, and Sloan under contract for next season. Alzner will no doubt be re-upped as well. If we bring Hannan back, that means Erskine and Sloan are 7 and 8, so you are effectively scratching $2.2 mil in cap room when everyone's healthy. When GMGM resigned Erskine at the rate he did, I think that put to bed any chance of us bringing Hannan back. There aren't many teams out there that pay their 7th guy $1.5 mil per year.

Old
01-03-2011, 05:14 PM
txpd

hannan's salary would get into the forward budget. that is where the problem is.

Old
01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Is there something wrong with starting TFS in HBH?

Old
01-03-2011, 07:45 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Is there something wrong with starting TFS in HBH?
yes. he should be riding the bench there.

Old
01-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Funkyalligator

Too bad we really don't have space but I wonder about de zotto....I checked and it looks like he'd have to go through waivers but I may be wrong about that

Old
01-03-2011, 09:32 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
Too bad we really don't have space but I wonder about de zotto....I checked and it looks like he'd have to go through waivers but I may be wrong about that
He wouldn't. Less than three years in the NHL, and less than 180 RS games played.

Old
01-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Funkyalligator

Doh I misread the stuff on de zotto for some reason I thought he'd signed a new contract

Old
01-03-2011, 11:56 PM
dashtary*

Beagle is great, such a hard-worker and YOUNG. Keep him.

Old
01-04-2011, 12:11 AM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Beagle is great, such a hard-worker and YOUNG. Keep him.
He's 25... I don't know why you have it in all caps. He's been good like the rest of the bear call-ups. It's always nice to have competition.

Old
01-04-2011, 02:07 AM
C-A-P-S

The playoffs are the biggest x-factor in all of this.

Semin, Laich, Varlamov, Alzner, Hannan, Perrault are all guys who have contracts that can dramatically rise with a smashing performance in the playoffs.

If they struggle the team may find their contract demands to be not worth matching. I think Semin and Hannan will be the two most at risk of being jettisoned if their playoff performance is poor.

Honestly, its just too hard to tell at this point.

I like Beagle, but Bradley was big in the playoffs last year and I wouldn't mind seeing how our team plays in the playoffs with Bradley and Hendricks flying around with the forecheck.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

With the PP struggling and Ovie not producing from the point, do we revisit the concept of bringing in Brad Richards, this time with added emphasis on what he can do for the PP?

That is, hoping beyond a prayer that the ownership situation in Dallas takes a turn for the worse and they fall out of the division lead.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:52 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
With the PP struggling and Ovie not producing from the point, do we revisit the concept of bringing in Brad Richards, this time with added emphasis on what he can do for the PP?

That is, hoping beyond a prayer that the ownership situation in Dallas takes a turn for the worse and they fall out of the division lead.
Personally, I don't think adding Richards is going to help Ovie's struggles from the point. The guy shouldn't be on the point in the first place. He should be positioned at the left circle, where he's closer to the net and his quick release can be more effective.

Frankly, they should bench Semin from the first PP line, freeing up the left circle for Ovechkin, throw another defenseman on the point, like a Carlson or Poti and roll 2 PP units.

Now I think Richards would certainly help provide more balance on the second line. As much as we all like Perrault, he's not going to cut it in a long playoff run at the #2 center position.

Personally, I think Richards might be a bit pricey and with Dallas' success they likely won't move him if they are going to the playoffs.

I think Arnott, given his expiring contract and poor performance of the Devils, will be a more likely option.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:22 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

After the Hannan deal, the cap situation isn't particularly manageable. GMGM would have to move some significant salary out, I believe.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
He's 25... I don't know why you have it in all caps. He's been good like the rest of the bear call-ups. It's always nice to have competition.
Because it's key. New talent and new-blood that is 5-7 years younger than the rest of our fourth liners. Nothing against them but it's nice to bring in guys that are more exciting and talented to watch. At the same time the Vets. are great.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:27 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Dave Steckel = 28
Boyd Gordon = 27
Matt Hendricks = 29

Beagle isn't 5-7 years younger than the rest of the 4th liners.

Closed Thread