HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2011, 11:29 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
After the Hannan deal, the cap situation isn't particularly manageable. GMGM would have to move some significant salary out, I believe.
At the deadline they can afford over an $8 mil (full season) salary. IINM this was specifically pointed out by GMGM after the Hannan deal. ~2 mil in full season cap space goes a long way when you're only dealing with 20-25% of the season remaining.

Then again, they would be eating into it a bit carrying so many guys on the roster lately. But that still shouldn't be enough to take it from "holy crap we can afford anyone" to "not particularly manageable," I think.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:32 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
At the deadline they can afford over an $8 mil (full season) salary. IINM this was specifically pointed out by GMGM after the Hannan deal. ~2 mil in full season cap space goes a long way when you're only dealing with 20-25% of the season remaining.

Then again, they would be eating into it a bit carrying so many guys on the roster lately. That shouldn't be enough to take it from "holy crap we can afford anyone" to "not particularly manageable," I think.
Maybe I'm reading capgeek wrong, but it says the Caps will have ~$1.4M in cap space at the deadline. That projects to somewhere around a $5.6M full-seasons cap hit, no?

Old
01-04-2011, 11:50 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Maybe I'm reading capgeek wrong, but it says the Caps will have ~$1.4M in cap space at the deadline. That projects to somewhere around a $5.6M full-seasons cap hit, no?
Edit: post deleted

my math was right, but CapGeek seems wrong. It shows Fahey still on the roster, but no Beagle...

Last edited by QuadrupleDeke: 01-04-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old
01-04-2011, 11:55 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
That sounds about right. GMGM's statement was before we started calling up a ton of guys to replace Schultz, Bradley, etc. Once we get back down to a 23 man roster (get guys off of IR) then that number will go back up a bit.

Old
01-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
Personally, I don't think adding Richards is going to help Ovie's struggles from the point. The guy shouldn't be on the point in the first place. He should be positioned at the left circle, where he's closer to the net and his quick release can be more effective.

Frankly, they should bench Semin from the first PP line, freeing up the left circle for Ovechkin, throw another defenseman on the point, like a Carlson or Poti and roll 2 PP units.
While I agree with most of your thoughts about a Richard (or Arnott) trade, the idea wasn't to help Ovie on the point, it was to replace Ovie on the point (and move him elsewhere). A lot of Richards' production comes from the powerplay, where he sets up on the point. This was part of the reason I originally was against a Richards' trade, since we already had a functional powerplay with both point positions occupied (Ovie and Green), and bumping Richards or one of them to the second PP unit seemed wasteful. Now that the PP is struggling, it makes the idea intriguing once more.

Biggest issue is that Richards plays the right point (Green's point), not the left point.

Quote:
After the Hannan deal, the cap situation isn't particularly manageable. GMGM would have to move some significant salary out, I believe.
Stuff like LTIR and whatnot is going to slightly change how it plays out, but we should have room to squeak him in. Capgeek, for some reason, isn't quite up to date with the Capitals roster.

Old
01-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Robert Theodorson

You'd have to trade Poti to get any kind of wiggle room for an expensive acquisition, but if you did that it'd have to be for a D Man or else you know who would be back in the lineup.

Old
01-05-2011, 08:45 AM
ForzaItalia

In today's Toronto Sun:

Quote:
A For Sale sign has been hung outside Scotiabank Place, but Bryan Murray can't find any buyers.

League executives told the Ottawa Sun Tuesday the Senators GM is willing to trade just about anybody except defenceman Erik Karlsson.

Old
01-05-2011, 09:00 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
In today's Toronto Sun:
It's too bad that their only notable UFA's are Kovalev and Phillips.

Old
01-05-2011, 09:22 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Kovalev could be a perfect storm situation. He's playing for a contract, he's great on the pp anew he's very good in the postseason.

Of course he could also wind up being completely invisible. And I don't know if any hockey fan can deal with two kovalevs on their team -spoken as a big kovy fan.

Old
01-05-2011, 09:33 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Kovalev could be a perfect storm situation. He's playing for a contract, he's great on the pp anew he's very good in the postseason.

Of course he could also wind up being completely invisible. And I don't know if any hockey fan can deal with two kovalevs on their team -spoken as a big kovy fan.
I was thinking almost exactly that myself. Kovalev could be a clutch replacement for Semin (if Semin doesn't show up when needed, or when he inevitably gets traded to the Isles for Roloson DiPietro. ), or he could be more dead weight.

He strikes me as someone who would become maddening to watch down the stretch, but would likely do his job pretty well in the playoffs.

But I never really looked at him as a realistic target for the Caps. I have to think they'll be looking to bolster their situation at C before anything else.

Old
01-05-2011, 09:34 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

I think Kovalev is lots of fun to watch -- but I can't imagine any GM in the NHL deciding that Kovalev and Semin on the same team is a good idea.

Kovy and Semin both can be enigmatic, magical, lazy, non-existent, penalty-prone and dazzling on offense -- but Kovy gives you absolutely zilch defensively whereas Semin's D play continues to get better, and he appears to be bringing that element of his game to the rink on a pretty consistent basis lately.

Old
01-05-2011, 09:46 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
I think Kovalev is lots of fun to watch -- but I can't imagine any GM in the NHL deciding that Kovalev and Semin on the same team is a good idea.

Kovy and Semin both can be enigmatic, magical, lazy, non-existent, penalty-prone and dazzling on offense -- but Kovy gives you absolutely zilch defensively whereas Semin's D play continues to get better, and he appears to be bringing that element of his game to the rink on a pretty consistent basis lately.
Who said they have to be on the same team?

Old
01-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

Funny, that was my first thought as well.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:04 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

Sure, you could decide that Semin is not in the future plans, and swap him to fill our hole at 2C. And then bring in Kovy to replace Semin's offense.

It's a pretty substantial tinkering with team chemistry, however and there's a pretty significant risk that Kovy could be just as enigmatic and penalty-prone offensively as Semin, and far more of a liability defensively. I don't see GMGM taking that risk unless it's the absolutely right 2C -- and I can't say that I can tell you who that is. Somebody like Jason Arnott, for example, would not seem worth that risk to me.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
It's a pretty substantial tinkering with team chemistry, however and there's a pretty significant risk that Kovy could be just as enigmatic and penalty-prone offensively as Semin, and far more of a liability defensively.
I'd say it's more like a guarantee.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:22 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

The Caps could just sign me for 5 million a year and I could dick around on the power play and give up a ton of 2-on-1 chances as well.

Kovalev? Pass.

Old
01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Even given the current situation of the team, I'd still love to have Phillips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
The Caps could just sign me for 5 million a year and I could dick around on the power play and give up a ton of 2-on-1 chances as well.

Kovalev? Pass.
Screw that, I'll do it for $500k.

Old
01-05-2011, 12:30 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
In today's Toronto Sun:
sign-and-trade Semin for Fisher and a prospect/pick.

Stanley Cup.

Old
01-05-2011, 12:44 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
sign-and-trade Semin for Fisher and a prospect/pick.

Stanley Cup.
That's terrible for us (No offense to Fisher). Have we become that desperate?

Old
01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
thrillhous

Hello all, it is always interesting following along with this thread. But I'm wondering if any of you want to speculate as to the likelihood that Semin will be a Cap next season, assuming that there is a healthy playoff run.

Old
01-05-2011, 01:01 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Hello all, it is always interesting following along with this thread. But I'm wondering if any of you want to speculate as to the likelihood that Semin will be a Cap next season, assuming that there is a healthy playoff run.
The likelihood that Semin will be a Cap next season is entirely dependent on the healthiness of the aforementioned playoff run.

Old
01-05-2011, 01:21 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
The likelihood that Semin will be a Cap next season is entirely dependent on the healthiness of the aforementioned playoff run.
Exactly the kind of response I expected

Let's even assume they go to the Stanley Cup finals and he performs adequately or better. Can they afford him unless he takes a major discount to stay (not bloody likely)? He will receive offers for 7.5M+, so how could they keep him while also giving Varlamov, Laich, Perreault and Alzner raises? Seems to me it's either Semin goes or 2-3 core players go instead.

This is not going to turn into a trade proposal to the effect of "man you guys are screwed, give us Varlamov for a bag of bucks". This is just an outsider curiously looking in.

Old
01-05-2011, 01:40 PM
dashtary*

Although the extensions of Erskine and Poti were deserved, I am not sure that they should have been done so quickly. Because, IMO Hannan>Poti, and if we were to wind up with Phillips at the deadline, Phillips>Poti+Erskine. No offense to them. I feel like the early signings have handcuffed us from adding and keeping new additions on the backend.

Old
01-05-2011, 01:49 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

Let's even assume they go to the Stanley Cup finals and he performs adequately or better. Can they afford him unless he takes a major discount to stay (not bloody likely)? He will receive offers for 7.5M+, so how could they keep him while also giving Varlamov, Laich, Perreault and Alzner raises? Seems to me it's either Semin goes or 2-3 core players go instead.

This is not going to turn into a trade proposal to the effect of "man you guys are screwed, give us Varlamov for a bag of bucks". This is just an outsider curiously looking in.
Semin staying, assuming the Caps want to keep him (so your caveat about having a good playoffs holds), would be entirely based on what his demands are.

I think if he wants much more than Backstrom (6.7) from the Caps, he's gone. And he'd get it on the open market, so it's totally up to him.

Perreault isn't going to be in line for much of a raise, and neither will Alzner (when you factor in his higher cap it is based on bonuses). With any luck Neuvirth's early extension will serve to limit the damage for Varlamov's next contract. So Laich is the real wild card there.

If you parcel out an extra ~1 mil for Semin and an extra ~1.5 mil for Laich (give or take) everything looks rosy, because the cap might go up by as much as 3 mil. But both of those players can earn more on the open market. It will be up to them to decide how badly they want to stick around.

Old
01-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
That's terrible for us (No offense to Fisher). Have we become that desperate?
He just hates Semin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Although the extensions of Erskine and Poti were deserved, I am not sure that they should have been done so quickly. Because, IMO Hannan>Poti, and if we were to wind up with Phillips at the deadline, Phillips>Poti+Erskine. No offense to them. I feel like the early signings have handcuffed us from adding and keeping new additions on the backend.
I agree to an extent, but I'm still looking at Hannan and Phillips as rentals. Those extensions do all but eliminate any potential for resigning them, but it doesn't eliminate adding them as rentals for the playoff run. I highly doubt we go after Phillips now that we've added Hannan, barring serious injury to a key defenseman.

Quote:

We're hoping that the benchmarks established by other Capitals players figure into the contracts for guys like Semin and Varlamov. Neuvirth's (and Niemi's) deal and Varlamov's injury history will likely keep Varly's contract, barring a Conn Smythe, at no more than the low $2M area.
The term of Semin's desired contract is going to be the real question for the Capitals. If he wants a long-term mega-deal, he's not going to get more than the $6.7M we gave to Nicky (especially given that Kovalchuk signed in a similar range). With a shorter term, the Caps have the space to potentially go into the lower 7s, but that's going to depend greatly on how well he plays the rest of the season and into the post-season.
Alzner and Perreault's raises shouldn't be huge, especially if their deals don't buy out a bunch of UFA years.
Laich is a bit more of a wild card, as we don't have a metric to compare him to. Fehr hadn't proven as much when he signed for $2.2M and Knuble was aging when he signed for $2.8M. Given his track record and his versatility, he could fetch upwards of $4M on the open market, so we have to hope that his desire to play in Washington (and under Boudreau in particular) can sway him to sign for less.

Closed Thread