HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2011, 12:09 PM
mler1019

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
So would this be the litmus test for determining what the Devils might accept for Arnott.
What do you think it would take?

Old
01-07-2011, 12:09 PM
mler1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efactor View Post
I think Semin will either be signed by the end of the month or he is gone before the playoffs.
thats a fair assumption. I hope if we get rid of him though before the playoffs, its before the trade deadline as well

Old
01-07-2011, 12:14 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mler1019 View Post
thats a fair assumption. I hope if we get rid of him though before the playoffs, its before the trade deadline as well
I, too, hope that if we get rid of Semin before the playoffs that it is before the trade deadline. Since the only other option is that he retires. Or dies, I guess.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:35 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
So would this be the litmus test for determining what the Devils might accept for Arnott.
I really miss that second rounder that the Caps gave up for Corvo now.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:38 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mler1019 View Post
Completely disagree. I think it would be moronic to get rid of a player of his caliber before the playoffs just because he won't sign an extension. Hurting your team to salvage a few assets, while strengthening another playoff contender seems like a pretty boneheaded move to me.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:41 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
Ugh, why did you have to remind us. Every time I start to GMGM on his job performance lately we're reminded of that fleecing.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:42 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Completely disagree. I think it would be moronic to get rid of a player of his caliber before the playoffs just because he won't sign an extension. Hurting your team to salvage a few assets, while strengthening another playoff contender seems like a pretty boneheaded move to me.

Old
01-07-2011, 01:10 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

FWIW, capgeek has done some updating, and at this point, the Caps are projected to be able to take on a (full-season) cap hit of $6,480,453 at the deadline.

As noted previously, that number will likely go up as the team gets healthy. But just for argument's sake, assuming that number is accurate, the Caps would have to move ~$1.4M in full-season cap hits to take on Brad Richards. Sloan and Perrault would just about cover that.

Old
01-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Miller30Sabres*

jamie to texas..... just announsed on nhl.com

Old
01-07-2011, 01:21 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
FWIW, capgeek has done some updating, and at this point, the Caps are projected to be able to take on a (full-season) cap hit of $6,480,453 at the deadline.

As noted previously, that number will likely go up as the team gets healthy. But just for argument's sake, assuming that number is accurate, the Caps would have to move ~$1.4M in full-season cap hits to take on Brad Richards. Sloan and Perrault would just about cover that.
Out of curiosity, are those numbers reflecting the bonus cushion, or not? Because I think it's a pretty safe bet that we won't be eating into next year's cap by ending up in the bonus cushion for 6 weeks.

(Or am I confused about how the bonus cushion works?)

Old
01-07-2011, 01:29 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:

They still have Fahey on the active roster, which can't be right. I'm guessing the Caps actually have a decent amount more than that, but their site isn't up-to-date.

Old
01-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Corvo trade did not work out, but this was a guy playing top-pairing minutes at the time in Carolina, and very ably at that. He would have been an excellent addition had he even maintained that level of play with Washington going into the post-season.

Old
01-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Capitlols

Quote:

At this point I'd say the chances of Richards getting dealt is next to nothing. There's probably a better chance of him getting re-signed.

Arnott seems to be the only real option for our 2nd line C woes, unless the team wants to commit the term and figures of a Mike Fisher.

Old
01-07-2011, 01:54 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The Corvo trade did not work out, but this was a guy playing top-pairing minutes at the time in Carolina, and very ably at that. He would have been an excellent addition had he even maintained that level of play with Washington going into the post-season.
The only problem with that view is if you didn't believe the "ably" part. I've never liked Corvo as a player or a defenseman, and I thought he was the worst choice McPhee could have made...and he gave up too much for a rental of an overrated player.

Old
01-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Hypothetical question:

It's June 27th. Semin has been re-signed. You are presented with one of two options for the other significant signing the team will make, either of which would cost you a $4.3m cap hit on a 2 year contract.

Option A:
Brooks Laich

Option B:
Mike Fisher with a limited NMC
I've been weighing this in my mind (as well as Jokinen with a full NMC @3M). Fisher fills a more immediate need, and would allow Johansson/Perreault/Eakin/etc more time to develop before plugging them into a high-pressure slot in the line-up on a full time basis. It also obviously strengthens our cup run this year, as we'd have both Laich and Fisher.

However, I think I'd probably stick with Brooks Laich, as we already know what he brings to this team and how he fits into the locker room. And there's always hope that we don't have to pay $4.3M for him.

Quote:
I've missed it all season.

Old
01-07-2011, 02:43 PM
EroCaps

Corvo getting hate is pretty stupid.

Is it his fault the Caps PP couldn't score the last 3 games? He was better in that series than both Green and Schultz.

He also actually scored a goal and produced as much or more than Alex Semin, Tomas Fleischmann, Brendan Morrisonn and Eric Belanger. He had 1 less point than both Green and Laich.

If those players do their job we aren't having a conversation about the 2nd.

Old
01-07-2011, 02:47 PM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Completely disagree. What has this guy done since the first 20 games of the season? Plus usually playoff contending teams do not trade with each other, so who says he would be going to a playoff contender? I would say we would be trading him to a non playoff contender. Guys plays with a bad attitude. If it is not his way, plan on him not putting to much effort in to it.

Old
01-07-2011, 02:48 PM
txpd

Quote:
The only problem with that view is if you didn't believe the "ably" part. I've never liked Corvo as a player or a defenseman, and I thought he was the worst choice McPhee could have made...and he gave up too much for a rental of an overrated player.
he is playing upwards of 29 minutes in recent carolina games. i am not sure what your definition of overrated is. what option was veteran defenseman option was available for a 2nd round pick and a 2nd tier prospect?

Old
01-07-2011, 02:50 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Completely disagree. What has this guy done since the first 20 games of the season? Plus usually playoff contending teams do not trade with each other, so who says he would be going to a playoff contender? I would say we would be trading him to a non playoff contender. Guys plays with a bad attitude. If it is not his way, plan on him not putting to much effort in to it.
This.

If they win a Cup with Semin on the roster it will be due to a Herculean effort from the rest of the team.

He is a fair weather guy if ever there was one.

Old
01-07-2011, 02:51 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

So I messaged the CapGeek guys, and they said the Caps do a bad job of announcing when players are called up or sent down to Hershey. They fixed the Brian Fahey error, and now it shows that the Caps can take on $7,897,117 in full-season cap hit at the deadline. However, they still have 24 players on the roster, so that will go up even more once everyone gets healthy and they send down Perreault (which would add another $1,586,903.29 to that, if done today).

http://capgeek.com/tracker/index.php...nch=2011-02-27

In summary:
$7,897,117 - Free cap space at the deadline right now
$9,484,020 - Free cap space at the deadline if Perreault were sent down today
$7,800,000 - Brad Richards cap hit (not gonna happen)

Old
01-07-2011, 02:54 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
This.

If they win a Cup with Semin on the roster it will be due to a Herculean effort from the rest of the team.

He is a fair weather guy if ever there was one.
was the rangers series in 2009 fair weather? i thought that would considered rather stormy weather. pressure packed. he was the player that stepped up and produced in all those critical elimination games.

without him the team loses in the first round. why is that so easily dismissed?

Old
01-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

@4xdeke
Capgeek needs to add Jay Beagle to the roster. Changes stuff again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Losing teams don't trade for rentals.

Old
01-07-2011, 02:58 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
@4xdeke
Capgeek needs to add Jay Beagle to the roster. Changes stuff again.
Oh, good call.

w/e, I'm done pestering them for the day

Old
01-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Efactor

Quote:
The Caps need to continue to "feed the system" to stay near the top and give themselves multiple chances to win a Cup. I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the boneheaded move would be to keep a guy who you've negotiated with and realize you can't sign under the cap. Yes, he is a good player. Yes, it'd be great to keep him. However, if he can't agree to what is reasonable by the end of the month, then the assets obtained would probably do more for the team's Cup aspirations over the rest of Ovey's career than Semin would add to this years run.

Old
01-07-2011, 03:06 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

I'm not sure where I stand on the Semin issue, but I do know this:

If you think:

a) Semin can fetch something similar to what Kovalchuk got (a 1st, Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier)
b) that you would've been mad if the Caps traded something like that to rent Kovalchuk last year

then:

c) you should trade Semin

Basically, if he can fetch more than you'd be willing to pay for a similarly talented rental, then trade him. I'd certainly be willing to entertain offers.

Closed Thread