HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lehner and Cowen play for the right to win medals!

Old
01-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 500
Hopefully Cowen can get his gold and Lehner can outduel Campbell for bronze. Disappointed that it won't be a Can-Swe final. Without counting the final games I think both have been above-average to good. Lehner needs to work on rebound control and cutting the number of weak goals and Cowen definitely needs to work on his puck control. Both look extremely promising though and I think their games will better translate to the NHL where better systems/defense are the norm and can mask their deficiencies more.

Ghost in the Shell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
May i add that Adam Larsson was the best player on the ice.

A ****in BEAST. He did everything perfectly.
I echo this, really liked his game today.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Saw the Replay View Post
Hopefully Cowen can get his gold and Lehner can outduel Campbell for bronze. Disappointed that it won't be a Can-Swe final. Without counting the final games I think both have been above-average to good. Lehner needs to work on rebound control and cutting the number of weak goals and Cowen definitely needs to work on his puck control. Both look extremely promising though and I think their games will better translate to the NHL where better systems/defense are the norm and can mask their deficiencies more.
I'm not sure that a couple weak goals in this tournament is a reflection of his body of work. Maybe I'm wrong though. Cowen certainly needs to work on puck handling...a vast improvement over time could make him a viable trigger man option on a PP...I've got some doubts about just how much it can improve. His physical tools and mobility with that make him a really good prospect though.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I'm not sure that a couple weak goals in this tournament is a reflection of his body of work. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I remember reading in his draft report that he has a tendency to lose focus and let in some strange goals from time to time. Definitely proven correct in this tourney, albeit with a three game sample size.

Old
01-03-2011, 09:30 PM
JustinYS

Quote:
I remember reading in his draft report that he has a tendency to lose focus and let in some strange goals from time to time. Definitely proven correct in this tourney, albeit with a three game sample size.
Umm well that's not good at all...

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Yeah probably something to keep an eye on. I recently read something by the Red Line Report saying he never comes up with the big save at crucial moments...but that type of criticism can mean nothing if you've got a goalie that has developed tremendously since that time.

Old
01-03-2011, 09:37 PM
JustinYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Yeah probably something to keep an eye on. I recently read something by the Red Line Report saying he never comes up with the big save at crucial moments...but that type of criticism can mean nothing if you've got a goalie that has developed tremendously since that time.
Ahhh ****... Why is he hyped to be our bonafide #1 if he can't handle the big crucial games and can't make the big saves to keep his team in it.... I think alot of people have been mislead with him if this stays a factor in his game.

Old
01-03-2011, 09:41 PM
HSF

he has a temper and loses some focus but that is something that can be controller ie emery

most ppl think this guys is going to be very good and soon and you can see flashes of it.

Dude also has the work ethic to improve. He is made of the right stuff and pretty much has everything except maybe puck handling but i havent seen enough

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Wham City

Man, I feel awful for Robin, just saw his postgame comments on Sportscentre, the kid looked rattled. I hope his psycho Dad takes it easy on him.

Loved Cowen's game tonight, was a rock back there and made plenty of smart simple plays to elude the forecheck.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinYS View Post
Ahhh ****... Why is he hyped to be our bonafide #1 if he can't handle the big crucial games and can't make the big saves to keep his team in it.... I think alot of people have been mislead with him if this stays a factor in his game.
He did make some big saves in this game and against Canada though. It's the weak ones which are the problem that he needs to cut down on. Make no mistake, he is a top prospect, but he's only 19. Plenty of time on his side to improve and judging by his progress the last couple of years, there is no reason to suggest he won't continue to.

Old
01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
He's gained a lot of ground on the goalies that were held in higher regard then him since then....and he's surpassed most of them. He's 19 and doing well in the AHL...not much to worry about at this point.

Old
01-03-2011, 09:56 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Both Lehner & Cowen had highs & lows in this tournament & both are only 19 yrs old. I think it's obvious they will both be good NHLers & with some luck maybe they can both be great NHLers. One thing is for sure, they both bring great size, work ethic & a mean streak which this team could really use more of. The only question will be when will they be ready for the NHL & that remains to be seen even if Ottawa makes a ton of changes to the present team.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:56 PM
SENSfreak_03

I don't think we need to panic about Lehner yet, the kid has the drive to win and be better. You can't teach passion. That being said, another year in the AHL seems best right now.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:01 PM
MoreGore

One thing I noticed about Cowen is the poor timing on his hitting. He can't get the timing right for the big hits. He is a beast on the boards, with great physicality and really keeps his stick active.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:04 PM
HSF

Cowen will be better in the AHL/NHL

To me he can't use the full extent of his talent like he can in the WHL when playing within IIHF rules.

Sorta like how Pronger isnt as useful in international tournaments but is a beast in the palyoffs

If he can add a gold medal to his resume with his memorial cup.. watch out

he has still be very good even the coaches think so since he plays in every situation now

Old
01-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
One thing I noticed about Cowen is the poor timing on his hitting. He can't get the timing right for the big hits. He is a beast on the boards, with great physicality and really keeps his stick active.
I don't think he's going to be a big hitter...but little improvements in this guys skating will translate into big improvements overall because of the physical tools.

This guy is better suited towards the NHL at 23-25 then this tournament at 19 IMO. Lots about the NHL will help him. Sens coaches said he'd probably perform better in the NHL pre-season VS the development tournament...and I thought was spot on.

Can anyone find comparisons of other highly touted players that were 6'5 to 6'6 and 235 at 19?

Old
01-03-2011, 10:11 PM
JustinYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSfreak_03 View Post
I don't think we need to panic about Lehner yet, the kid has the drive to win and be better. You can't teach passion. That being said, another year in the AHL seems best right now.
Oh for sure, no way he's up too soon... Those weak goals and five-hole goals are annoying

Btw has anyone found a bit of "whiney-ness" in Lehner's comment after the game? I hope it's not a recurring theme... This is not a good comparison at all but I don't want a Sidney Crosby as my goalie of the future

Old
01-03-2011, 10:13 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Jesus Christ the guy is 19 years old. Let's let him grow up for a few years.

What do you say?

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

What are the chances that Cowen sees play for Ottawa this year, and makes the team next year?

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:18 PM
JustinYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Jesus Christ the guy is 19 years old. Let's let him grow up for a few years.

What do you say?
Yeah you're right. It's just that these were the few games i've actually been able to watch him play for a good amount of time. I had been mislead by all the comments around this board into thinking he had no GLARING problems in his game and touting him as the next Lundqvist. Il just sit back and wait a few years before making a judgment.

Old
01-03-2011, 10:21 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
What are the chances that Cowen sees play for Ottawa this year, and makes the team next year?
we cant call him up this year but i think he is almost a lock next year on the blue line (unless our gm is mcguire he might want to keep him in the ahl )

he almost the sens this year

Old
01-03-2011, 10:21 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I'd say pretty good considering how crappy we are.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
If he's out of the playoffs in the WHL while Ottawa is still in the regular season I bet they would bring him in because they believed he could play at the level even after pre-season. Just like we're going to be auditioning names like O'Brien, Butler maybe Greening or others over the next little while because we will likely be out of the playoffs, Cowen will likely get the same look and opportunity for experience.

They did this with him last year....and he is now far removed from the level he was at last season.

He'll make Ottawa next year I expect...after we move Kuba out or buy him out! Cowen will only play the left side...so if he doesn't fit in...it's possible he starts in the A...but I don't anticipate that issue.

Old
01-03-2011, 10:32 PM
CR15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
Thats what I want to see most outta Cowen just the odd massive hit just so there is a threat of it. He is pretty smart with his stick checking and is good at forcing guys wide and running them out of room but my god if he could get it down timing wise with that size he could really destroy some bodies and it is something we sorley miss on this team.

CR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Oh for sure, no way he's up too soon... Those weak goals and five-hole goals are annoying

Btw has anyone found a bit of "whiney-ness" in Lehner's comment after the game? I hope it's not a recurring theme... This is not a good comparison at all but I don't want a Sidney Crosby as my goalie of the future
Yeah we would never want a guy who improves on any weakness in his game, probably works harder than any other player in the league and is the best player in the league...But he yells at the refs and we wouldnt want that

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote